FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Katamari Damacy...

Have you rolled your Katamari lately?
Oh gawd yes!!!
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Hell no!!!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
WTF is a Katamari?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
We <3 Karamari!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

rightclickscott
Since I really don't feel like putting up a huge post about how great this game is, I'll put up an article written by my friend and creator of Staccato, Shawn Handyside:

Katamari Damacy – The Best Video Game You’ve Never Played

So one night your father (The King of All Cosmos) goes on a wild bender, and while flying around space he accidentally destroys all the stars in the sky. As “The Prince,” it’s now your job to fix things by putting new stars into space. And how do you make new stars? You simply take your “katamari” (a colorful sticky ball) down to Earth and roll up as many things as possible.

It may sound strange, but when you think about it some of the best video games have had the most ridiculous stories, and Namco’s Katamari Damacy series for the Playstation 2 is no exception to that rule. And even if you’re like me and you play a lot of video games, there’s still a good chance you may have overlooked this quirky Japanese title that has become a cult hit since its original release in 2004.

At its core, Katamari Damacy is a game with a deceptively simple concept that is undeniably fun. In each level you are dropped off on Earth with a katamari (sticky ball), and your mission is to roll that ball around the 3D world and try to pick up as many things as possible. Small items like pencils, thumbtacks, and candy will stick to the katamari almost immediately, and as you continue to pick up more and more things the size of your katamari increases, allowing you to pick up larger items you couldn’t before. Play long enough, and you’ll soon find yourself picking up trees, cars, buildings, and eventually things so large they can only be seen to be believed. Make your katamari large enough, and The King of All Cosmos will toss it into space turning it into a star.

Despite how simple the underlying concept sounds, seeing it in action is almost a work of art. As your katamari grows, the world around you gradually scales in size, almost without you noticing. Part of the reason this works so well is due to the incredibly stylized and blocky world the game is presented in. Objects and people are made up of simple shapes, allowing an incredible number of items to appear on the screen at one time with no slowdown whatsoever. At the beginning this may seem strange, but when you find yourself rolling a massive ball down the street of a large city you realize how densely packed with objects the game really is.

Along with this solid gameplay, Katamari Damacy also features an eclectic blend of original Japanese tunes (including one of the catchiest video game themes ever) and a storyline so strange and humorous that you can only wonder what the creators were thinking. The opening sequence alone will make you wonder if game designer Keita Takahashi was on extra strong medication when he thought this story up.

With all these elements wrapped together, the Katamari series has proven itself to be one of the best new video game franchises to come along in recent years. Currently you can pick up the original Katamari Damacy for a mere twenty dollars (its original launch price in the U.S.) or its 2005 sequel We <3 Katamari for just thirty dollars. And if you’re looking for some Katamari on the go, a third game for the Sony PSP entitled Me and My Katamari is scheduled for release on March 21st. So don’t let this gem of a series pass you by, rent or buy a copy and see for yourself!
eepman
I got both. GREaT3St GAME EVAR!!!!!!shift+1
toasterintheoven
yeah, katamari forever is great to have for ps3, I also have the one for the psp, but the controls are horrible, too bad though, because it has some pretty unique levels.