You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What did you give up for lent?

Anyone here give up something for Lent? If so, what is it? I've heard all kinds of crazy things, including many from people who aren't even christians. I didn't even give up something that interesting, fruit pies. It may sound odd, but I normally eat them all the time, they're always in vast quantities around my house, and I like them very much.

So, did anyone else give up something more interesting? I'd love to hear them, at school I know many non-christian friends of mine who gave up things like swearing (which is great, since I hate swearing), smoking, pancakes, physical relationships (I'll leave it at that), wearing hats, chewing gum, and the list goes on and on.
I took a vow of selibacy--no sex or sexual acts. It will probally be a hard thing to get through but hey, it's almost half-done!
Wow, Celibacy, that's pretty...noble. I wish I'd have thought of that. Oh well, I'm just so glad I didn't give up cake like I usually do. I keep getting more and more cake! That's good, because it helps me forget that I'm suffering without my fruit pies. I just love the cherries so much, but temptation is a bad thing to lead myself into.
I know this is lame, and I'm kind of embarassed to admit it... but I know I don't have the discipline to make it all the way through Lent.
So I had a day of really dedicated prayer and fasting. That's right just one.
But I figured it was better than nothing, and it was the best I could do.
And the amazing thing is, that spending even 1 day, God has really shown me some other stuff in my life that I can change and give up.. but permanent like, and as I can handle it.
I expect I'll have kicked my Cola habit by Easter!
I didn't give up anything. I took somthing up. I am trying to help my teachers do stuff. My art teachers room is a mess so i helped clean that up. I guess that counts.
I'm one of the ones who gave up swearing, but I'll probably f*** that up. I wasn't about to give up sex....I'm married and my wife wouldn't allow I would seriously consider the idea on my own (YEAH RIGHT!).
At first I said mass every day, confession once a week...
That didn't happen so it's just when I can get there as often as possible, I'm nearly every day.
I seriously know somebody who gave up his daily pills for lent...and, he's pretty irritable right now. He was taking almost as many meds as me-which is practically enough to start my own pharmacy. He is supposed to take, like, three times as much ativan as me, since he has PTSD, and I'm suprised he's not in a coma yet.

Yeah, I literally couldn't last very long just cut off my pills cold-turkey. I have too much pain, what with my braces and all, and 3 different anxiety disorders, so you can only imagine. Seriously, who would give up their pills? Especially since he's had more chemical dependencies in his time than me, and I've suffered more than enough withdrawal.

I tell you, he must be absolutely crazy Rolling Eyes. He's been all spaced-out for all of lent so far, and he's too vain to admit that he was stupid enough to give up something that neccesary d'oh! . I must say, I don't envy him.
On the other hand, I have another friend who decided to give up tanning and bikini waxes. She did obssess way too much with getting tans, so that much was actually pretty smart. But we all find it unpleasant to be with her sometimes, because she tends to look like bigfoot without waxes. Oh well, as long as I'm not seen with her when she wears shorts (I know it's not a nice thing to say, but she could shock anyone when she's like that Shocked).

I just hope she survives without tanning, ever since she got a tanning bed one summer, she almost fries herself every weekend. I really don't want one of my best friends to get melanoma (cancer of the pigments of the skin). Even she agrees, she does look like bigfoot sometimes (so when she thinks so I don't feel like a bad person for saying it).
Bikini waxes... big sacrifice!
Not to belittle your friend, but really... I don't think I need a very good excuse to give up my bikini waxes! (ouch!)
(My excuses: not todaybecause it's raining, it's sunny, it's cold, it's warm, I'm busy, I'm tired...)
I mean, if she was giving up marshmallows, or sleeping without her pillow, that'a a sacrifice...
bikini waxes??? Shocked
Well Half the school tried to give up homework for lent.... unfortunatly the teachers didnt believe that we liked it so they started punishing if we didnt hand it in.
Nothing, I am a Theistic Satanist.