FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Philosophy





thame
I have started building a new philosophy journal. I plan on trying to join one of the big blog networks, and I want to make sure that everything is set.

I've been getting some good reviews on the content, and I would like some feedback on it if you can take the time to read one of the articles.

Also, it is important for me that the design matches the theme of the content, and although it isn't done yet, I would really appreciate some reviews on the design itslef.

http://www.tom.frihost.net/

Thanks
WickedGravity
I am nowhere near an expert, but your content is pretty decent and the theme matches it to a point.

It is gentle and soothing, as thoughts tend to be when expressed.

Just my two cents though.
thame
WickedGravity wrote:
Just my two cents though.


That's all I want.

THanks for the kind words...
Bondings
Thame, I wasn't able to read much of the content, so I cannot give you comments on that, but your website's design sure looks great! And it's original. Very Happy

http://www.tom.frihost.net/article/3/the-origin-of-morality/
Look at one of your articles, without even reading a single word. Like most people do when they see a website for the first time. And tell me what you see. I see a lot of letters, all way to close together. A text on the internet should scream READ ME, I'M IMPORTANT. I can't hear that screaming from your article.

The main difference with a book and other printed media is that people on the internet SCAN texts instead of reading them like they do with a book. The slogan of the internet user could be: "Give me infoirmation and quick!" You have to realize this when you put a text online.

What are you able to do about this without changing the content? (remember, we didn't read a single word on that page, so it's not the content)
1)White spaces are very important. You might put one between every alinea of your article. The small width of the page isn't helping you in this case either.
2)Use a different font for your article.
3)Use italic, bold and underlined text, if possible.

Quote:
The emergence of morality can be most easily assessed when we, again, return to its primal state as a simple descriptor of right and wrong. At this stage, only two options existed, good or bad, and life was based upon increasing the positive and minimizing occurrences of the negative. The original concept of morality is not necessarily limited to humans or advanced primates. In all living creatures, there exists an innate need for self-propagation that has created various mechanisms to “increase” the positive morality and extend the creature’s chance of survival. Obviously, this is a much more selfish system, but we must also remember that at this time no society existed to label any emotion such as selfishness as “immoral”. Thus, the birth of morality coincided with the dawn of life; morality is therefore as natural an impulse as flight from danger.

vs
Quote:
The emergence of morality can be most easily assessed when we, again, return to its primal state as a simple descriptor of right and wrong. At this stage, only two options existed, good or bad, and life was based upon increasing the positive and minimizing occurrences of the negative.

The original concept of morality is not necessarily limited to humans or advanced primates. In all living creatures, there exists an innate need for self-propagation that has created various mechanisms to increase the positive morality and extend the creature’s chance of survival.

Obviously, this is a much more selfish system, but we must also remember that at this time no society existed to label any emotion such as selfishness as immoral. Thus, the birth of morality coincided with the dawn of life; morality is therefore as natural an impulse as flight from danger.


Of course this tip is only what I personally think will encourage people to read a text and I might be wrong on this, but at least I made you think of it. Wink

BTW, I exagerated this in my post and made a mess of it. If you say serious philosophical things, then other colours, bold text and underlining aren't really an option. But more white space is always usefull.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with your website. I really like it! Very Happy
thame
Bondings wrote:
Thame, I wasn't able to read much of the content, so I cannot give you comments on that, but your website's design sure looks great! And it's original. Very Happy


First, let me thank you for an AMAZING review. It is just what I needed.

The website is actually philosophical, so I'm afraid that colorful, shiny effects would ruin the tone I have tried to create.
However, I can certainly do the whitespace thing (thanks for the suggestion!).

Thanks again for the writeup!
Scott
Hey, nice design, and the content seems good. (All three of the entries are things I'm quite interested in.)

But like I think another reviewer mentioned, you need something more to grab the reader. Seperate your ideas a little more. Add some interesting graphical elements to comment your articles. Artistic graphics.

I think that would make your writings seem more complete.

Other than that, great layout, very professional looking. I like the rollovers.
thame
Scott wrote:
Hey, nice design, and the content seems good. (All three of the entries are things I'm quite interested in.)


Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it! I hope I can continue to write about topics you like.

Scott wrote:
But like I think another reviewer mentioned, you need something more to grab the reader. Seperate your ideas a little more. Add some interesting graphical elements to comment your articles. Artistic graphics.


I'm working on that part, I've already added one image and I'm trying to find a way to grab the reader without ruining the tone I'm trying to make.


Scott wrote:
Other than that, great layout, very professional looking. I like the rollovers.


Do you mean the article headers? I did that with a little sIFR.
Scott
I'm not sure what sIFR is, I'll google it.

Yeah, I meant the headers and the navigation links.
thame
Scott wrote:
I'm not sure what sIFR is, I'll google it.

Yeah, I meant the headers and the navigation links.


The navigation links were simply styled with a 5px underline, but the headers got a little extra touch with sIFR

You can read more about it here:
http://www.mikeindustries.com/sifr/

It is a flash replacement technique that lets you change headers to a font that the user does not have installed.

It's pretty cool stuff, and it even degrades nicely if they don't have Javascript or Flash...
charliehk
I agree with Bondings that the ideas could be better organized to facilitate the readers to understand, especially abstract things. But I like the topics. I have seen TV serials discussing the contents of the books such as The Elegant Universe, and A Brief History of Time. Sometimes, it is amazing, but sometimes confusing to hear those issues.

There even has somebodies discussing whether the moon exists when it is not being observed!...
Bondings
This is really the kind of site that I would like to put on the main page, saying it is hosted by frihost. I forgot to mention this in my other post. Wink
thame
Bondings wrote:
This is really the kind of site that I would like to put on the main page, saying it is hosted by frihost. I forgot to mention this in my other post. Wink


Wow! That would truly do wonders for my traffic!

I don't know if you noticed the Frihost link on the "About" page (with the title "The Best Hosting!"), but I would love if you could help my site out like that!

@charliehk:

I'm working on that part of the site right now, hopefully, you can see a little improvement. Also, I'm trying to make my latest article a little more attractive by adding footnotes, and pictures. Hope that helps a bit.

Again, Thanks for the AMAZING compliments Bondings
thame
Any more thoughts, I have added a few more articles and tweaked the CSS to try to bring out the content a little more...
Bondings
thame wrote:
Any more thoughts

If possible, increase the width and put the website in your signature. Wink
thame
My new design has recently gone live.

I've been getting alot of traffic recently for a template I released, and got many complaints about the design.

As a result, I have moved to a minimal 3-column design that should be easier to use.

I'm working on a style switcher for smaller resolution screens, so don't fret if you must scroll horizontaly for the content.

I'm much happier with this design , but I again call on the great community here for some more input.
einar
I really enjoyed your site, the three column design, with the personal stuff in the middle column is really nice, and is something I think i will do myself.

The three coloumn design templates for textpattern i've seen are narrower though, then it is not much space for other things than adverts in the middle coloumn.

However: The design is really calm and cool, but the letters in "philosophy" I guess its from a background image are barely visible on my screen. You should think about using a little bit more tone on those types.
T3 Architect
i like the choice of template it has that blog feel to it
budazz
i like the theme very simple...full of article ...nice shot....i love your site...mybe ill be back to read one... Very Happy
Related topics
science vs. religion
Republican Philosophy...
Favorite Philosophers
Praise the Lord...whoever they may be...
Philosophy Exam
Physics and Philosophy
Philosophy Monty Python Style
What has religion to do with philosophy?
Political Philosophy: What is [Not] Fair?
Discussion ABOUT “State your Poly Philosophy! 1000 FRIH$”
State your Political Philosophy! (1000 FRIH$ to the best!)
My Philosophy
Satre, Russel, Ayer Philosophy questions
What is Philosophy to you?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Webmaster and Internet -> Advertise Your Website

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.