FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what martial art do you think is the best

anthonygerbils
what martial art do you think is the best and write back with your favourite
ps mine is ju jitsu whats yours
Gieter
Mine is Jiu Jitsu as well... I wanted to do it in 2005, I've tried one lesson, but due to a stupid situation I couldn't do it again. Sad
anthonygerbils
ahh how come and how long did you do it for
anthonygerbils
sorry just read full message so what did you think of the first day and what did you learn
Shike
I have to like jujutsu, Aikijutsu, and Taiqi quan. I like the philisophical and meditative practices imbedded in taiqi.
anthonygerbils
Quote:
Aikijutsu, and Taiqi quan

never heard of these what do they involve and what is their origion
Gieter
anthonygerbils wrote:
sorry just read full message so what did you think of the first day and what did you learn

Well, the basics of any martial art, how to become released, some falling, and some kicking. My friend had some really bad marks, and he wasn't allowed to do Ju-Jitsu anymore. And I wasn't feeling much for doing it alone, because all the other members were much older.
anthonygerbils
yeah its not much fun unless there is competetion between friends but with this martial art well the "real" ju jitsu not the sport one is a dangerous one so sometimes competition can be a bad thing.
but i see your point but its worth going back
Pyxel
Karate.

Karate is strictly for defense, and it is meant to put your opponent out in one hit. I love the style, the and the strength, plus everybody in my family has trained in Karate for over five generations.

I love other martial arts, though, but Karate is my favourite.
anthonygerbils
"karate" the only problem i find with karate is the lack of ability towards weapons and killing moves but other than that it is a brilliant martial art and is one of the best for defence only and the fact that your family have been doing it for five generations is class and is good to know that out there, there is some traditional martial artists which is a great comfort for the generations ahead of us and i hope you will stick at it like your family previously did.
Pass The Ammo
Well, if Drunk Boxing counts as martial arts then I'm in for that! Laughing Seriously, I'd have to say Muai Thai (I think i spelled that right). I'm a big Pride Fighting fan.
Gieter
Pass The Ammo wrote:
Well, if Drunk Boxing counts as martial arts then I'm in for that! Laughing Seriously, I'd have to say Muai Thai (I think i spelled that right). I'm a big Pride Fighting fan.

Drunk Boxing! Never heard of it before ( Embarassed ) but it certainly sounds like a great idea! You won't feel the pain (but you will the following days/weeks), and you don't know what you're doing anymore so you can't be worried about losing. Smile The carelessness...
Shike
anthonygerbils wrote:
Quote:

Well, First, Aikijutsu's "lineage" is thus (i believe, someone can correct me if I am wrong). Jujutsu beget Aikijutsu beget Aikido. As such, Aikijutsu is a more "practical" style of martial arts than Aikido, as it was developed towards the end of the era of the samurai.

Taiqi quan is a different alliteration of Tai Chi Chuan, or more commonly known as Tai Chi.
cazlun
Viet Vo Dao.
It's a vietnamien martial arts!
Vrythramax
Shike wrote:
Well, First, Aikijutsu's "lineage" is thus (i believe, someone can correct me if I am wrong). Jujutsu beget Aikijutsu beget Aikido. As such, Aikijutsu is a more "practical" style of martial arts than Aikido, as it was developed towards the end of the era of the samurai.

Taiqi quan is a different alliteration of Tai Chi Chuan, or more commonly known as Tai Chi.

Aikijutsu was originally practised only by nobility as a means of excersize, and later became a full blown martial art. It was, in part influenced by such arts as Ju Jutsu, but was a form unto itself. Aikido, a reletivly new form, was the child of Kodokhan Judo, Aikijustu, and Ju Jutsu.

Personally I practice Aikido (Shodan rank) and the various weapons styles associated with Aikido, with a strong (personal) emphasis on Ken Justu and Iaido.
Code of Ruin
I practiced karate for a few years, untill my teacher had to quit. I love the simplicity of the motions and the overall appearance of someone practicing the moves.
Overall I think Krav Maga is the best.
Shike
Vrythramax wrote:

Aikijutsu was originally practised only by nobility as a means of excersize, and later became a full blown martial art. It was, in part influenced by such arts as Ju Jutsu, but was a form unto itself. Aikido, a reletivly new form, was the child of Kodokhan Judo, Aikijustu, and Ju Jutsu.

Thank you for the clarification. Smile
anthonygerbils
"drunk boxing" hahaha sounds very interesting must try it.

there has been a great number of martial arts displayed here even ones i never even read of and im a martial art nut as i started off with boxing then done kick boxing then thai boxing then karate and finally ju jitsu.

all the martial arts which have been displayed i went and done some reasearch and found them quite interesting and i even had a look at some of their sub forms and every one of them has their own origion but some link back to ju jitsu and kung fu which is very interesting and i am looking forward to hear of some more of them thanks for your replies
Shike
anthonygerbils wrote:

all the martial arts which have been displayed i went and done some reasearch and found them quite interesting and i even had a look at some of their sub forms and every one of them has their own origion but some link back to ju jitsu and kung fu which is very interesting and i am looking forward to hear of some more of them thanks for your replies

THen here's another one. Soo Bahk Do. It is a Korean martial art developed in the 40's. It is a blend of traditional Korean martial arts (Tae Kwon Do) and Chinese martial arts. This is the style I practiced for more than 5 years in my teens.
KayosGraphix
Tae-Kwon Do is my favorite
Inner_Sakura
Kenjutsu and Tailandian Boxe ( don't know the name in english)
Kur0
Ikedo (or however you spell it) is my favourite although you gotta like that Karate Kid.
anthonygerbils
Quote:
Soo Bahk Do

Quote:
The Soo Bahk Do system is a classical Korean martial art with historical roots that date back thousands of years. As a "classical" martial art, its purpose is "to develop every aspect of the self in order to create a mature human being who totally integrates intellect, body, emotions, and spirit." It is both a highly effective self-defense system and a beautiful, traditional artform. It is a balanced, hard-soft style based on the philosophy of No Ja (Lao-Tzu), with something to offer everyone. Boston Classical Soo Bahk Do offers internationally certified master-level Soo Bahk Do instruction in an exciting, challenging, supportive, and safe atmosphere.

great never heard of this before thanks will do more reasearch
thanks
if you have any more dont hesitate to write
anthonygerbils
ikedo is a good martial art i have to say as my 2nd instructer for ju jitsu is also an instructer in ikedo and he showed us a few stances and styles and i have to say its classy
anthonygerbils
here i thought some of you would like to know what techniques ju jitsu has and these are just so of the main forms of techniques
there is •Ukemi waza falling techniques

• Nage waza throwing techniques

• Kansetsu waza joint-locking techniques ( wrist, elbow, shoulder, knee and ankle joints)

• Shime waza strangling techniques

• Atemi waza striking techniques (punches and kicks)

• Katame waza holding (immobilisation) techniques

• Ne waza grappling techniques

• Katsu waza resuscitation (first-aid) techniques

it also has as many as 10 weapons which it uses these include
samurai sword
rope
knife
tangeos
num chucks (not much good at spelling)
stalf
chain
u-bi-bo
and many more

it is a full contact martial art and has been praticed for thousands of years
omon
i like tai quando the best.
Konimaka
i like tae kwon do, but i also love the brazilian fighting
it looks awesome Wink
Pablo Diablo
I don;t think it's the best, as I am always finding new styles cool every few weeks, but Muai Thai is pretty raw and flashy.
badin
kyokushin-karate or daido-juku is the best...
Damondred
I don't know if this was already stated, but, I don't feel there is a "BEST" martial art out there. Though jeet kune do would come close to what follows...

The best one can be, is to have an all around training regime. For example, Brazilian Ju-jitsu for ground fighting, kickboxing for strikes, and judo for throws. If you train in all of these, it makes you a fighter that can be feared in all areas of fighting. I have a question for everyone. Where does a fight usually end up at? The ground of course. Therefore you want some ground training, hence Brazilian Ju-jitsu. Want to know how to defense yourself against a guy who has lethal strikes, in comes kickboxing. A guy is rushing at you, and the next thing he knows is that he is seeing stars and lieing about five feet away from you, enter judo. The all around fighter will be the most feared. Check out PrideFC sometime. It is a pretty large sport. Or the more televised UFC on Spike. Those fighters train in all areas of fighting.
Shike
Damondred wrote:
I don't know if this was already stated, but, I don't feel there is a "BEST" martial art out there. Though jeet kune do would come close to what follows...

The best one can be, is to have an all around training regime. For example, Brazilian Ju-jitsu for ground fighting, kickboxing for strikes, and judo for throws. If you train in all of these, it makes you a fighter that can be feared in all areas of fighting. I have a question for everyone. Where does a fight usually end up at? The ground of course. Therefore you want some ground training, hence Brazilian Ju-jitsu. Want to know how to defense yourself against a guy who has lethal strikes, in comes kickboxing. A guy is rushing at you, and the next thing he knows is that he is seeing stars and lieing about five feet away from you, enter judo. The all around fighter will be the most feared. Check out PrideFC sometime. It is a pretty large sport. Or the more televised UFC on Spike. Those fighters train in all areas of fighting.

I have to agree with most of this statement. Maybe not necessarilly the exact styles, but I find that a well rounded and Balanced regime is the best course of action.
Jim_the_cat
I like Kendo and Muay Thai, I don't know why

Muay Thai - you use your elbows and knees

Kendo - Training with a samurai sword

and thats all I know
anthonygerbils
brilliant reply i have to say "there is no best" and i would have to agree in a way as yeah all aspects are covered but in your lifetime how are you going to perfect a couple of martial arts why not just get one perfect.

there has to be a martial art out there that has all these aspects in it.
there is
japaneese ju jitsu.

but is there any others?
please reply
AdamantMonk
Muay Thai - Because it evolved not as an art, but was formed for war. It's versatile, and freakin brutal.

Capoeria - Not so amazing nowadays but in it's humble beginnings... ouch.

Jeet Kun Do - How can you not like it?

Hapkido - Fairly effective, fun as hell (in my experience)

I have trained (minimally) in Muay Thai, Moreso in Hapkido (which was actually a mixture of Hapkido and Street Fighting) and had a hell of a time with both. I'd like to start up again, but find myself unable to afford any good teacher.
dovbear
AdamantMonk wrote:
Muay Thai - Because it evolved not as an art, but was formed for war. It's versatile, and freakin brutal.

Capoeria - Not so amazing nowadays but in it's humble beginnings... ouch.

Jeet Kun Do - How can you not like it?

Hapkido - Fairly effective, fun as hell (in my experience)

I have trained (minimally) in Muay Thai, Moreso in Hapkido (which was actually a mixture of Hapkido and Street Fighting) and had a hell of a time with both. I'd like to start up again, but find myself unable to afford any good teacher.

Krav Maga - the best,
but most important is a teacher
anthonygerbils
yes very good the teacher <B>IS</B> IMPORTANT and thanks for all your replies and please keep the coming
thanks again.
ants
Jaime
Krav-Maga is the best one, reunites the techniques of all the martial arts and applies the necessary movements, with no need to perfect a form in special.

It's the self defense israelli and the FBI, SWAT is trained with this...

It's not an artial marts static, change with the time improving its techniques or applying news.
anthonygerbils
cool never heard of that as i allways thought they were thought ju jitsu and ninjitsu but you learn something new every day.
thanks very much and please keep up the replies.
thanks.
Vanquish
Well, I do Karate and Boxing, and I have to say I prefer boxing alot more, Karate was fine the first year or so, but it got boring as about 20 new members joined and they just stopped focussing on us and on the new guys, but boxing in my opinion, is one of the best types of training you can do, it's about three times more energetic than karate and it's actually quite fun to do. It makes you feel like your having a good work out when you are doing the situps and things, these are just my opinions only!
Regards,
Neal
anthonygerbils
i have to agree with you in a way yes boxing is great i had fun doing it for 2 years and yes the teachers do get a little side-tracked when it comes to new members but that is only because there is about 600 odd moves in karate so you should start a martial art which has a couple of thousand moves and then you should be fine.
my opinion aswell.
ants
ShredKeys
I do Tae Kwon Do and jiu jit su for 2 years now. I feel that Jiu Jitsu is more practical in terms of using it as self-defense.
simp
i prefer the "no sword method" . . .

;-)
anthonygerbils
well most martial arts dont use swords but personaly i really like swords and how come you dont.
Motoracer380
tikwando
simp
Reply to Anthonygerbils: this comes from a classic story from the lore of Zen Buddhism. I could explain it, but I think it will mean more if you look it up and enjoy the experience of discovering the meaning for yourself.

:-)
Tiger
I personally like kendo "the way of the sword". It is not only a physical sport, but is also mentally challenging and I like it as a spectator sport too.

The fact that body armour is worn also makes it possible to use full strikes in the prescribed areas without injuring the opponent, so you can give it a full go without holding back (in theory).

The set of values as taught by the All Japan Kendo Federation is also very good. The values are:

To mold the mind and body,
To cultivate a vigorous spirit,
And through correct and rigid training,
To strive for improvement in the art of Kendō,
To hold in esteem human courtesy and honor,
To associate with others with sincerity,
And to forever pursue the cultivation of oneself.
This will make one be able:
To love his/her country and society,
To contribute to the development of culture
And to promote peace and prosperity among all peoples.

I much prefer it to western style fencing and to all other martial arts.
oais
anthonygerbils wrote:
here i thought some of you would like to know what techniques ju jitsu has and these are just so of the main forms of techniques

• Kansetsu waza joint-locking techniques ( wrist, elbow, shoulder, knee and ankle joints)

samurai sword
rope
knife
tangeos
stalf
chain
u-bi-bo
and many more

I vote for this martial art out of all the replies. Very Happy
Ju jitsu byfar seems the best. Wasn't Bruce lee the one who developed this style?
odinstag
You can locate my favorite here.

[url=blog.modernmartialarts.net]MMAI Blog[/url]

But I would have to agree with those that favor Krav Maga.

BJJ is just not to good unless it is a fair fight. You'll get your guts stabbed out if the guy's got a knife.

And I find most traditional eastern Martial arts lacking. At least the western schools of those arts. They are good for contests. But rarely prevail in a fight against a detrermined or skilled attacker.

I have trained with several teachers. Mostly my father who was a police force lifer, expert marksman and all around ass kicker.

What's on my site is what I have found to be workable in a stressful situation. And it's a lot of my commentary on other things I see in Martial Arts.

I am working on more content right now. So tell me if you like it so far.
odinstag
Someone mentioned Swords.

I love swords. I am not a swordsman by far. But I still love them. I have several including a full tang.

I have kind of developed my own style. Pretty basic. Based off of spear/rifle with bayonet movements. The same movements are translated to staff weapons of any sort.

I like simple.
anthonygerbils
hey thanks for all your replies and please keep them coming.

I like swords to and my favourite has to be Samurai sword as it has style and power and is not to heavy to move about freely.

ants.
mstreet
I enjoy Thai Chi.
Not only is it a relaxing excersise but very good for defense and offense as well. I like it more because it really teaches you about when to use it more than you must use it.
lunatic07
i think Muay Thai is the best in ym opinoin its very good and teaches you alot of stuff thats very helpful for self-defense like if you seen that movie ong-bak the main star takes Muay Thai and hes very good fighter so my suggestion muay thai all the way.
PatTheGreat42
To be honest, I have very little respect for most martial arts. They've been condensed down into after school programs for kids, and I can't tell you how many black belts I know that I could beat up with one hand.

I do, however, have respect for Western Martial Arts. Those are still focused on killing. I do German Longsword, and let me tell ya, it's kick-butt.

Well, chop-head, really.
Shanghai_Dragon
I think the best style is Shaolin, because I study it! Besides it is the root of all eastern martial arts, and it is a few thousand years old. It has more than 1000 styles.

SHAOLIN ROCKS! Very Happy
qcrew
yay getting stabbed by spears? I guess that'd be cool if you could handle it, but it's just not on my to-do list for the day. I used to study gojuryu karate, and enjoyed that quite a bit. However, I have some friends who participate in wushu martial arts, and that is ridiculously awesome to watch. It's very flashy and impressive all-around.
anthonygerbils
SHAOLIN is pretty cool and i would probly have to agree with you as i was hoping someone would bring it up but anyway it probly is the best martial; art but there could be more out there that not many people know bout which is better.
aceflooder
sayokan-the way of the warrior-turkish martial art

it's a system of self defence and the way of defending oneself.
http://www.sayokan.co.uk====>site if you are curious
milkmandan
i don't know anything about martial arts. i took karate when i was a kid and got to my yellow belt, but then i left. i just think they kick ass (no pun intended).

PS. that picture of the shaolin guy on the spears is awesome.
carlospro7
dont know that there is a best. But my favorite IS ju jitsu
Sephi
i dunno either but i love ju jitsu too

i like french boxing and i'm gonna begin kung fu next year Smile

PS: i've hear that, in a fight, if your oponent is really great at judo the only thing you got to do is run....
urangkayo
coz i live in indonesia, i like pencak silat and debus Very Happy

debus is very-very hard to believe, it's very-very ekstrem...
PowermoonUSA
Nice Martial Arts

I like Kickboxing, Thai Boxing (Mhuai Thai) and Submission Fighting. In 2 month i will start with Kick- and Thai Boxing again. Then opens a new Triple Boxing Club 2 Minutes away from my house. I don't know what to do in that time. Ive been in another Martial Arts Club today, but they don,t train Kickboxing or Thai Boxing. Sad

I think i wanna search the internet for some offers around.
Hayate
my favourite martial arts are...

Wushu, and it exists out of 3 styles

Tao Lu, Tai chi and Chinese kind of kickboxing

I guess Tao Lu and Tai chi are the most known.

Tao Lu exists out of alot of styles:

North style: very beautifull and there are animal styles in it
South style: very brutal style with heavy weapons and shaolin belongs in the south style.

for people who don't know wushu, many people know it as kung fu.

I have been doing wushu for quite a while now and I like the North style best.
here is an example of wushu :
www.w1f.net
meetul
anthonygerbils wrote:

I have crossed many belts in various martial arts and till now, I feel that Tae Kwon Do is the best among all.
As far as ju jitsu is concerned, it is an old version of what is known as Judo these days and ju jitsu alone cannot be used for practical fights as it consists of mainly defence or techniques to make the other person fall down, whereas, tae kwon do is proportional be it offence or be it defence
Shike
meetul --

Actually, I believe that you are mistaken about something. Jujutsu was designed, primarily, to Disable your opponent using their own strenght against them. From what I remember of my research, Jujutsu has many joint/bone breaks as well as a few strikes (including targeting nerves, again for disabling).

Judo is a descendant of Jujutsu, but it is a sport version (ie akin to modern wrestling [not professional]), but that jujutsu is infinitely more practical in actual combat.

I will have to go with my original thoughts on this topic, no single martial art is best, in and of itself. A more well rounded study is much better. I personally like aiki-jutsu (another jujutsu type martial art with joint locks/breaks and minor strikes) mixed with a soft style such as Soo Bahk Do to form a more well rounded combatant.
stevedave
I'm gonna go with Muay Thai To.... because of ong bak's - tony jaa. haha
jasmine
I'm not really sure if the way of the ninja's could be considered as a martial art... but I absolutely love their moves and skills!
Erridan the enchanter
I am a practitioner of ninjustu, aikido, and kendo, i also have a yellow belt in karate. I do Tai chi everyday!!!
venkateshwarans
There is an art named varma kalai in south india. It firectly atacks the nerves. One hit can make you paralyzed even dead.
ColdFire
Quote:
I will have to go with my original thoughts on this topic, no single martial art is best, in and of itself.

Very true.... But when it comes to cool and powerful kicks... Taekwondo is the best (and the greatest)!! Plus its now an official Olympics event... All the more reason for Taekwondo enthusiasts to celebrate! Laughing
Scoria
What is martial art?
sorry for asking, but I never heard of it.

Please, enlighten me, Smile

Sincerly,
Johan
Shike
Scoria wrote:
What is martial art?
sorry for asking, but I never heard of it.

Please, enlighten me, Smile

Sincerly,
Johan

I guess the most broad definition of martial arts is a fighting style, or system. It is usually applied to eastern martial arts, such as Kung Fu (extremely general name), Karate (again a general term), Tae Kwon Do, Kendo/Kenjutsu, etc.

All style of fighting are martial arts, including Fencing and Boxing.

Martial arts can be unarmed or armed (see Gun Fu). This discussion hase come down to a discussion of everyones preferred style of fightinging and defending ones self.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask, we are generally a helpful bunch.
odinstag
anthonygerbils wrote:

If it is sport fighting I would say MMA or boxing and BJJ mixed into one.

But for real fighting where your life is ont he line I would say find a good Krav Maga School. Notice I said a GOOD Krav Maga School. Not a typical McDojo. But that goes for any martial art.

Teh reason I say no to BJJ for real fights is that fact that it only works if they don't have friends. Take them to the ground when they have friends to jump in and you will get your butt kicked. Your better off staying on your feet.

Good luck either way.
odinstag
Don't get me wrong though.

Sport fighting does teach you valuable things about timing and distance that are hard to learn on the streets. You would have to be in a lot of fights and survive to learn it on the streets.
fpsaddict
Jiu Jitsu and Karate because of the freedom in both of them.
PatTheGreat42
I really don't like a lot of the Eastern Martial Arts. They've been turned into things you send your kids to, and so I feel they're really diluted, and become steareotypes of themselves.

As such, I favor the more obscure and Western martial arts. Since no one is really trying to make money off of these, they aren't as messed up. So personally, I focus on German Longsword, thought I have picked up a book on Lua, and dabble in other weapons.
jenice
I honestly don't know much about martial arts myself, but as for what I've seen? I tend to like styles like Jeet Kune Do. I rather like the mix of styles there.

There's another one I can't remember the name of that always fascinated me. It involves the use of knives. It's that one where you make several small cuts all over in a short amount of time? Well I guess any martial arts that involves knives is an interest for me. I love knives.
odinstag
meetul wrote:
anthonygerbils wrote:

I have crossed many belts in various martial arts and till now, I feel that Tae Kwon Do is the best among all.
As far as ju jitsu is concerned, it is an old version of what is known as Judo these days and ju jitsu alone cannot be used for practical fights as it consists of mainly defence or techniques to make the other person fall down, whereas, tae kwon do is proportional be it offence or be it defence

TKD does not win in no holds barred and only against untrained fighters on the street.

TKD is a sport first. Sorry to burst your bubble. Watch more fights.
odinstag
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I really don't like a lot of the Eastern Martial Arts. They've been turned into things you send your kids to, and so I feel they're really diluted, and become steareotypes of themselves.

As such, I favor the more obscure and Western martial arts. Since no one is really trying to make money off of these, they aren't as messed up. So personally, I focus on German Longsword, thought I have picked up a book on Lua, and dabble in other weapons.

I am with you on this one.

Western war fighting methods are the most untouched. Even Musashi is said to have learned his famous two sword method from western traders.

But the main point I want people to consider is not to learn a sport for self defense.

When the west won the war against Japan, they banned all effective forms of martial arts as being too militant. They replaced these martial arts with the one's we have today. Judo, Karate, Kendo, all of them are Watered Down Sports Methods.

Many of the other Eastern martial arts have been made famous by people that did not fight of a living. Much less fight for their existance.

Sure there are places you can go to learn Authentic Arts. But most people have no idea what that is anymore. Everyone has been tainted by Hollywood portrayals of things that just don't exist for real.

Stick with the basics and practice them to perfection. All the flash and moves won't get you past a hard ass with the basics down to a science.
Tatsumaru
I don't think there's a 'best' martial art either, but I like jujutsu the best out of those that I studied. Taekwando is cool too, but just because of the 'flashiness'-factor of the kicks, I wouldn't think it's useful in a fight.
Shike
odinstag wrote:

When the west won the war against Japan, they banned all effective forms of martial arts as being too militant. They replaced these martial arts with the one's we have today. Judo, Karate, Kendo, all of them are Watered Down Sports Methods.

Many of the other Eastern martial arts have been made famous by people that did not fight of a living. Much less fight for their existance.

Sure there are places you can go to learn Authentic Arts. But most people have no idea what that is anymore. Everyone has been tainted by Hollywood portrayals of things that just don't exist for real.

Stick with the basics and practice them to perfection. All the flash and moves won't get you past a hard ****** with the basics down to a science.

I do have to agree, somewhat with this. If you look for forms with the -jutsu at the end, you are getting a more practical style versus the -do ending. Most forms with the -do ending are either more philosophical or sport like, which is why I don't truly like my primary style very much anymore (soo bahk do) and prefer aikijutsu.
odinstag
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
To be honest, I have very little respect for most martial arts. They've been condensed down into after school programs for kids, and I can't tell you how many black belts I know that I could beat up with one hand.

I do, however, have respect for Western Martial Arts. Those are still focused on killing. I do German Longsword, and let me tell ya, it's kick-butt.

Well, chop-head, really.

This was one of my problems.

Most MA's are little more than workout programs. They teach you little about how fights evolve, what to expect when a real fight occurs or how your body will react when wounded.

I do however respect systems like Power to Protect from Robert Bussey, and Personal Protection Systems by Darren Laur. My MMAI Modern Aussault Protection System is based on much of what I have learned from these two men. With a little of the other things I have learned through experience mixed in.

M.A.P.S. is a Full Spectrum Modern Martial Art, including Hand to Hand, Edged Weapons, Firearms, Clubs and Techniques of Escape and Evasion of anyone that may try to chase you down.

I started out with RBWI's version of Ninjutsu in the early 90's and progressed from there. It's been quite a trek.
odinstag
anthonygerbils wrote:
odinstag you seam to know your stuff !! can i ask where you learned all of the information you have writen down ??? any way thanks all who have posted in tis forum and please keep them coming.
thanks again
..............................................................................................................
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I started out learning from Robert Bussey's Warrior International.

I progressed to doing my own study of what does and does not work. Reading Law Enforcement studies, studying what police trainers had to say, training with some military personnel and of course getting my butt kicked.

You learn what works real fast by losing believe it or not.

This has developed into what I call the Modern Martial Arts Initiative. Kinda like Bruce Lee's JKD but less philosophy and more fighting.

I have been involved in a series of Fight Clubs since before the movie. Matter of fact, I fought in amatuer Fight Clubs in garages since I was about 15. That's over 15 years of getting and delivering some serious butt kickings. Broken noses, bruises, loose teeth and all that jazz.
SyncM
Its hard to say what Martial art how is best.

Some people like Eastern mystical, filosofie and moves. Other base it on sports like K1 with rules and there its muay thai and thaiboxing is good. If you also include grappling muaythai is no good and Brazilian jujutsu and shoot fighting is good.

If you want to have real street fighting with many opponents and weapons so is Krav Maga or Defendo good.

My self i training Krav Maga and i like it but its up to every person whats reason they train

Best regards
odinstag
SyncM wrote:
Its hard to say what Martial art how is best.

Some people like Eastern mystical, filosofie and moves. Other base it on sports like K1 with rules and there its muay thai and thaiboxing is good. If you also include grappling muaythai is no good and Brazilian jujutsu and shoot fighting is good.

If you want to have real street fighting with many opponents and weapons so is Krav Maga or Defendo good.

My self i training Krav Maga and i like it but its up to every person whats reason they train

Best regards

I have a lot of Krav Maga Material. Very good stuff.

I have sat in on a couple classes of Krav Maga to get a feel for how they train. At least the school around here is good. I have heard bad things about other schools being a McDojo, black belt factories. But some are brutal and effective.

If you train Krav Maga like you are supposed to it is very good. But it is meant to train like a soldier. So you must be tough.
genchan
I like Muai Thai and Drunk Kungfu. Actually Shaolin Kungfu is cool too. Really enjoy watching Pride and K1 fights.
Discovery
I guess I'm a bit biased, since I do Karate. I've never done any other martial art, so I wouldn't know unless I've tried all of them! But I do like Karate...
Shike
I've had experience in Soo Bahk Do, Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Aikido, Shotokan Karate, Muy Thai, Tai Chi, Boxing, Kendo, Some western Fencing (not a whole lot mind you), and a series of others. I have found that choosing a martial art is like discovering religion. There is no perfect one, and it is up to each individual to choose their own path. Looking at the current systems of Martial Arts, I would have to agree that many of them are no longer taught for actual combat, but many still have combat applicability.

I will go with my earlier statments that a well rounded martial curriculum with grappling, unarmed striking combat (with whatever body aprt is handy), and weapons training are all necessary to be a competent combatant.
Arseniy
I think Djudo is the best i can earn. And best that exists is Shinobi art. These ninjas... Very Happy
justjess
I've learned wushu, chinese performance art, for a few years, and its really fun, but it counts as sort of a dance, because we're usually not fighting anyone, but just doing movements, consecutively.

The more advanced students can do sparring, but that too, has sequence, and timing, it's really not like boxing or things like that when it's more free for all.

I want to learn judo though, throwing people over, it seems more useful in the future, and can also be used for self defense!
-Sasuke-
Mine is karate and judo. I find if you master both of those you can take down any one.
odinstag
-Sasuke- wrote:
Mine is karate and judo. I find if you master both of those you can take down any one.

I definately respect Judo and some Karate. Aikido as well. They have a skill set that should be utilized. But they are too narrow IMHO.

Combined into a Full Spectrum Martial Art though, they do compliment each other very well.

The basics of these disciplines practiced to perfection will serve you better than a thousand black belts.
odinstag
justjess wrote:
I've learned wushu, chinese performance art, for a few years, and its really fun, but it counts as sort of a dance, because we're usually not fighting anyone, but just doing movements, consecutively.

The more advanced students can do sparring, but that too, has sequence, and timing, it's really not like boxing or things like that when it's more free for all.

I want to learn judo though, throwing people over, it seems more useful in the future, and can also be used for self defense!

I like Wushu. And I like it that at least someone isn't delusional about it's self defense performance. It's fitness and suppleness developement is very good for a fighter though.

I do suggest it as a sport or fitness hobby for fighters. Or even self defense buffs. Good workout to build stamina.
thealpha
I think Chinese Kung Fu is quite good.
incubus
hey,

i think it depends - if you like to do it for "self defense" ju-jutsu might be one of the best - even some good police-special-units have to learn it.

on the other hand: some people like wing tzun - cause it works even in very small rooms - and bars.

but i prefer some more "universal" martial arts styles. - wing tzun for example hardly has any techniques for the ground.
and in real world most fights end at the ground.

so i prefer ju-jutsu.

what is extremly effective for self defense also is: krav maga - it's from israel - also used by there special-police-units.

andreas
snowboardude
There is no best martial art.

I do karate, jiu jitsu, kobudo, iaido, jodo and escrima and my personal favourite is karate. I like it more than kung fu and tae kwon do and all the others because of how powerful it is and how I am able to use it to my advantage (upper body strength)
arkebuzer
I prefer Ultimate fighting. Basicly you are allowed to do anything to bring your opponent down.
In my oppinion that is the martial arts that takes the most skill, since you cant say the rules did not allow you to do something... The one who is the best fighter wins Smile
I really enjoy watching boxing, K1, Thai too though.
marcmgeronimo
I have watched the documentary of national geographic about the different martial arts and how deadly they are. I think for me I would like to learn our own's Kali martial arts. The one that involves Kali sticks for fighting, it is not as deadly as other chinese martial arts but I guess it is one of the best forms of fighting arts in our country. I have experienced learning the basics of this art through my middle education and I guess I want to learn more.
palavra
aikido

it is cool
treasurebox
My favourit martial arts is Jeet Kune Do but as the best id have to go with jiu jitsu.
ColdFire
there really is no "best" martial arts! these debates have been going on for years but nobody, including professional fighters, really agreed which is best.

when someone says "muay thai is the best" or kung fu, or whatever it is, i bet my whole year's salary thats the arts they are practicing. In the end its the skills and ability of the fighter that determines if he can beat the crap out of his opponent or get beaten.

i myself study taekwondo. there's just no way i can win against a real master, but against someone the same level as me, no matter what martial arts they practice, i can confidently say that my chances of winning is about as high as his.

oh and i dont believe MOST fights end up on the ground. thats an idea people get from watching too much UFC. Seriously, how many people you know got into a fight and end up grappling and rolling their way on the ground? thats just so gay! Shocked
bluecradle
brazilian jiu-jitsu is nice too...i've watched the first 2 season of Ultimate Fighting Campionship and Gracie really kicked (or submitted) some great fighters..
fiorello
Muay-Thai is really good. And Ong-Bak movie was super. I love this fast moves
fianchesso
taiqi/wushu and kung fu are definitely my favorites. nothing like crouching tiger hidden dragon.

i heard that someone started some sort of "world fighting champion" type of thing, where you can use any martial art of your choice. reminds me of one episode of friends...
Alias
Aikido and Muay-Thai are my favorite martial arts, these fighting techniques are flawless. Also I always watch those movies of Steven Siegal and Tony Jaa and I see most of there enemies are no match to them.
djcaution
Walker Texas Ranger Twisted Evil
BooTes
Capoeira is my favorite! For me it's the acrobatics, rhythm, dancing and music which make it special, not so much the fighting part. The most important aspect is just to have fun. Very Happy
SyncM
i really like Krav Maga is a really nice sport and they mix up everything kicks, punch, looks, groundfighting gun threat and knife threat.

It also gives alot of fitness. I pratice akido before but is really bad.
sp_cosmetic
I'm Thai so I have to say that Muay Thai is the best hahahaha.....

I've seen you guys talking about UFC. Well, for my oppinion only a few of the fighters know the martial art they claim that they know.

For example, many of UFC fighters claim that they are jujitsu fighters, but belive me a real jujitsu fighter would never fight like that.

Have you seen a real karate sensa? I believe if a real sensa fight in UFC the look and style in the ring would be different. I mean what the hell with the top and down position, it looks stupid and funny.
SyncM
Muay Thai is very good for standing fight but the don't have any ground fight.

I agree with you that UFC are not any pure stil, they mix everything they think they can need. For exampel so do they often have a trainer for standing fight and one for ground. Then they also practice other arts like boxing to be the best.
Trog
Best...hmm...nah they're all different, all with different origins or purposes. I like fencing personally. Western 'martial arts' often get poo-poohed by martial artists, but they have a deep routed history and a ton of moves, counter-moves and traditional styles.

I fence with a french epee, I don't like the Italian style hilts (Always give me sore fingers). Recently, and for the first time I actually beat my fencing instructor......although he had broken his wrist two weeks prior, and was fighting using his off-hand Razz
kevin briggs
karate is the best all rounder
Karate may be practiced for many reasons, but was originally developed for self-defense. The kata contain a variety of techniques intended for this purpose: hand strikes, kicks, locking, and grappling. However, proper training is required to make these techniques usable against a determined aggressor. Most styles include some form of two-person pre-arranged self-defense exercises as well as sparring or semi-sparring (structured sparring with limited options allowed for either partner). This allows for the development of a sense of range and timing. A number of styles practice hard-contact sparring.

Some schools are criticized for claiming to teach practical martial arts despite a lack of two-person training to develop needed attributes. An instructor may believe that practicing kata suffices to develop the necessary skills.

Other schools may intentionally place emphasis on tournament preparation, physical conditioning, or aesthetics (developing form for form's sake), rather than self-defense. These schools will typically still teach self-defense techniques as well.
kerryworkman
I think that this is kind of a trick question, of course everyone is going to say that the style that they study is the best. Why else would they study study it? I have studied/taught various forms of martial arts for the last 20+ years, and in my opinion there is no such thing as the best style. Only the best for you, different people are looking for different things in a martial art, and are able to take different things away from it....for example two students start a new martial arts class at the same time, have the same work ethic, practice the same amount, train just as hard why is one always better than the other??? It has nothing to do with the martial art....it is about the individual.
dvanex
I did karate for a while. All we did was the same thing over and over again in a very large group. I think the reason things were so slow was because it was mainly a bunch of little kids and they were terrible.
furtasacra
This looks like a good place for a question I've been wanting to ask somebody...

What would be the best martial art for a slightly out-of-shape woman interested in self-defense and some extra exercise?

I've been thinking about martial arts partly because I live near a bad neighborhood, and like to take a walk in the evenings after dinner.

Which martial art is it that uses your opponent's strength against them (essentially causing them to beat THEMSELVES up) without you actually doing anything violent? Is it judo? I can't remember.
Bannik
Just to help someone out like furtasacra in matters of choosing what you want to study

Ok there are 2 types of martial arts that are commonly referred to as
Internal and external martial arts – some martial arts can and will overlap each other and are in other words hybrid forms

External martial arts are physical; they deal with hard punches kicks and rigorous exercise

Karate
Jeet Kune Do
Escrima
Wrestling

Internal (is what you are looking for) they deal with using the other persons strength against them, dealing with chi etc.

Tai chi chuan (apparently has other health benefits, so it may be a good starting choice but be careful, due to its popularity as a health subject they do not deal with self defence so when looking for a club ask if they deal with self defence – pushing hands)
Hsing I
Pa Kua
Aikido (Japanese origin used by samurai when unarmed, very good style and very effective, is located in many places around the world and could be a good choice for you)

When choosing a style several things matter

Price – first decide how much you are willing to spend, some martial arts clubs require a lot of money to train and study

Location- The location obviously matters, so choose a martial art that is near you

Time – do you have time to train and study the art, some arts require a long time to study and practice because of grading system, some don’t so choose one that suits your timetable

The teacher – look for a good teacher, some teachers are basically shite and you should not waste you time with them, look for ones that are highly experienced in training and in their art choice, don’t go to a random black belt holder who has had no experience.

Personally I would say if you are looking for self defence only go for something like Krav Maga or normal self defence classes, but if you are looking for a martial art for life then choose both and internal and external as a mixture of both. Oh and here is a list of styles you might want to look at.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_martial_arts

ps regarding the topic question

There is no best – each art deals with different approaches to the same end (becoming a better self), when choosing a martial art its not just which one can kick who faster and better its about the beliefs and views of each art, if you are saying which is better in a one on one fight then its neither, as a gun will frag them all up, so instead of which is best what matters is which is the one that coincides with your beliefs and way of life the most.
kerryworkman
Bannik wrote:

ps regarding the topic question

There is no best – each art deals with different approaches to the same end (becoming a better self), when choosing a martial art its not just which one can kick who faster and better its about the beliefs and views of each art, if you are saying which is better in a one on one fight then its neither, as a gun will frag them all up, so instead of which is best what matters is which is the one that coincides with your beliefs and way of life the most.

All of your comment was good but I especially agree with the end.
schumway
I am looking to put my daughter into some martial arts.

what is the normal starting age?

what would be best for teaching her dicipline and I would like to see something involving sword play
thealpha
i think the Chinese Kung Fu from Mr. Bruce Lee is the best
sanzu
ok well id have to say Mauy Tai or Russian martial arts Mauy Tai because i love the style and russian martial arts because of what you can do in such a short time within 1 month you should win almost any street fighter 3 months you should be able to beat a black belt and in a year...well everyones screwed lol

I did karate for 4 years it isnt the best but its mainly for disipline and defence.
filet
i guess the best martial art actually depends on the person with the skills...but i personally love wushu
filet
i guess the best martial art actually depends on the person with the skills...but i personally love wushu
Gagnar The Unruly
I do aikido, so I'm obviously drawn to the philosophical side a little. In my opinion, you're missing something if you're ONLY learning how to beat people up. I prefer martial arts to be a means of self-improvement. One thing I've heard that I like the sound of, is that dedicated study in any martial art should take you to the same place, provided you are getting good instruction.

To the woman asking for recommendations -- I think aikido would be a good thing to check out. It's not just about using their strength against them, but also about using their mind against them. Judo would also be good to check out. If you are interested in something more aerobic, I would recommend a striking art like karate or tae kwon do. Any school worth anything should jump all over itself to provide a good atmosphere for people with different levels of fitness or physical limitations. The best advice I can give is to find some nearby schools that are easy to get to, and ask if you can observe a class. If they won't let you observe, don't go. Find which one you have the best feeling about. See how much the practicioners smile, or whether you get a sort of agressive or solemn vibe. Don't worry too much about the rank of the instructor; a 3rd degree black belt can still teach you a lot about an art if you are a beginner, and be cautious about schools that will promise you a black belt in a year, or make you pay for tiny belt advancements.
BHSDKP
I don't think there is truly a best martial art. Many of the greatest martial artists know multiple arts and combine them into a style that fits them.

My personal favorite is Tae Kwon Do. It deals mostly with kicks, rather than punches. I haven't used it in real life, but I've broken bones through sparring gear, so I know it packs a punch. It's also one of the most competitive martial arts, having been made into an official olympic sport not too many years ago.

People should just choose whatever they feel comfortable with Very Happy .
Bannik
schumway wrote:
I am looking to put my daughter into some martial arts.

what is the normal starting age?

what would be best for teaching her dicipline and I would like to see something involving sword play

hmmm....depends on who teaches her....some karate schools teach toddlers...honestly I would suggest taking someone young to a martial art school, in a way you will be forcing you child into the schools beliefs, so instead focus on keeping your child healthy and active and when they are ready to join a class let them choose..
also most schools teach a weapon its too varied to say "swordplay"
heridlia
I like WUSHU as the best traditional martial art.

Jet Li,Danny Cao,Michael Yeoh,Zang Zi Yi is My favourite wuhsu actors/actress.
Strong, beautiful, cute!!!

But I don't know who is the winner if :

WUSHU vs KARATE
WUSHU vs JUJITSU
WUSHU vs TAEKWONDO
WUSHU vs others.

Thanks a lot.
mansonivan
well, i think to the person's skill. all martial art are good. i personally like capoella. anyone heard bout it? is martial art from brazil i suppose
Tumbleweed
Sinanju ..... the sun source of all martial arts Wink
kerryworkman
mansonivan wrote:
well, i think to the person's skill. all martial art are good. i personally like capoella. anyone heard bout it? is martial art from brazil i suppose

I studied a little capoella, just the basic's though. The Janga, some blocks and evasive manuvers, as well as some of the kicks. I really like the amount of power you can generate through the proper use of your own momentum, and the smooth transitions from one technique to the next. It is also a great form of exercise, a couple hours of that and you are nice and worn out. I also agree that is has more to do with one's own skill rather than which style path they choose in the martial arts world. Every style has its own pluses and minuses, it's whatever works for you.
thealpha
I like Chinese Kung Fu from Mr. Burce Lee of course
kerryworkman
thealpha wrote:

Have you read his book the tao of jeet knee do (mabye incorrect spelling), he had some really unique ideas about defence, and counter attacks. It also covers alot of his philosophy which I found more interesting than his technique. You should check it out sometime if you haven't already.
ratfungus
Shike wrote:
anthonygerbils wrote:
Quote:

I think the Jutsu (or Jitsu) part simply means art. Samurai were mounted warriors - the equivalent of the Knights in Europe. When a Samurai was dismounted for any reason, they would use their Katana/Wakizashi (long sword/short sword) or other weapons (the preferred battlefield weapon was a spear, the most feared a bow). If they couldn't use weapons (because these had been lost, damaged, or they had been knocked off a horse and were under attack before they could use swords), they would resort to unarmed combat (Ju-Jitsu). With some space between you and the attacker, you would use Ju-Jitsu techniques and if they were swarming all over you, where you didn't have time to use parrying with arms etc, you would use Aiki Jutsu - used for very close in fighting. I have trained with people who have done many many different martial arts. I have done Ju-Jitsu for many years (since 1984) and took up kick boxing about 2 years ago because I had too many injuries to continue Ju-Jitsu. I stopped kick boxing after about a year because I didn’t want to start reacting in the way you would during a sporting contest. For those who don't know, BJJ (Brazilian Ju-Jitsu) is a sport. Sure a tough sport with tough guys in it but almost everything that someone who does Ju-Jitsu (from anywhere in the world) would use as a 'bog standard' (a UK expression) defence or attack in Ju-Jitsu is banned in mixed martial arts/UFC/etc. It has to be - Ju-Jitsu is designed, literally, to maim or kill an attacker. It is an absolute last resort martial art and when you must use it, you use it to devastating effect - and, hopefully, you are around to justify your actions (in a court of law if need by) rather than in a cemetery or in a PVS or coma or quadriplegic. Ju-Jistu is the martial art.
ratfungus
thealpha wrote:

There is no such thing as Chinese Kung Fu per se. What I mean is there there was, and still is, a multitude of different Chinese Martial arts. Some similar and some very, very different to other Chinese arts. Bruce Lee only started off doing Wing Chun (a Chinese martial art). He developed an art very different to this that took elements from many different martial arts (both Asian and European). What he did on screen was neither Wing Chun or JKD (the art he first developed).
ratfungus
kerryworkman wrote:
thealpha wrote:

Have you read his book the tao of jeet knee do (mabye incorrect spelling), he had some really unique ideas about defence, and counter attacks. It also covers alot of his philosophy which I found more interesting than his technique. You should check it out sometime if you haven't already.

I have the book. He also further developed his ideas after the book was published. Also some of the techniques are more apt for competition in my opinion. As a side note, Bruce was dead before the film that made him famous in the West (Enter The Dragon) was released. I love watching his films - even the ones with sub-titles. His physique was awesome.
ratfungus
kerryworkman wrote:
mansonivan wrote:

I studied a little capoella, just the basic's though. The Janga, some blocks and evasive manuvers, as well as some of the kicks. I really like the amount of power you can generate through the proper use of your own momentum, and the smooth transitions from one technique to the next. It is also a great form of exercise, a couple hours of that and you are nice and worn out. I also agree that is has more to do with one's own skill rather than which style path they choose in the martial arts world. Every style has its own pluses and minuses, it's whatever works for you.

I think it's from Africa. Slaves (who would have been warriors in their homeland) were banned from practicing their martial arts. They disguised them as a dance to keep their art alive and to hide it from their slave masters.
ratfungus
BHSDKP wrote:
I don't think there is truly a best martial art. Many of the greatest martial artists know multiple arts and combine them into a style that fits them.

My personal favorite is Tae Kwon Do. It deals mostly with kicks, rather than punches. I haven't used it in real life, but I've broken bones through sparring gear, so I know it packs a punch. It's also one of the most competitive martial arts, having been made into an official olympic sport not too many years ago.

People should just choose whatever they feel comfortable with Very Happy .

You can't see the effect your ultra powerful kick has had on your "opponent" with your groin smashed, your eyes gouged out and your wind pipe crushed. I'm not nit picking, but what I mean is that there is a huge gulf between a martial art and a martial sport. Most people in the forum are talking about a martial sport. Many of the attacks used in Ju-Jitsu, by beginners from another martial sport, would render them dead or seriously injured, literally in seconds, against an experienced martial artist in a real situation. When you're learning a martial sport (not a martial art) many, many of the techniques taught would result in you being annihilated if the opponent was an experienced martial arts practitioner (not martial sports practitioner). Most of the people that I've trained with in Ju-Jitsu and who are from a martial sports background are utterly shocked at how ineffective many of their techniques are. You literally can't leave your groin, throat, spine, eyes, kneecaps, kidneys, occipital or any other vulnerable part exposed, against an attacker who is a martial artist - or you would be dead or seriously injured. If you train in a sport - you react that way in a real situation. If you train to gouge eyes out, head butt, stomp downed attackers, break joints, punch, kick and knee faces, knees, groins, spines etc that is how you will react in a real situation. I'm not advocating this - all I'm saying is you will react the way you train - and there's nothing wrong in training in a martial sport. Just be sure you know why you're training. If it's to give you a better chance to live after a real attack - go for a martial art (not sport) - I think Ju-Jitsu (not BJJ which is a sport) is the best. Remember, however, using a martial art is an absolute last resort. The first tenet of any martial art is ... awareness. If you go into a room, a bar or wherever and you think - something ain't quite right - I don't like the atmosphere, then leave. Next step - run. If you're then cornered or caught - trying talking your way out of it. If these all fail - DESTROY your attacker(s) with everything you've got and run at the first opportunity.
dwinton
I do not believe in the philosophical or belt based aspects of most martial arts. My view has always been that the goal of a martial art was to inflict or deflect as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. For this reason, I favor Krav Maga (used by the IDF), which is an entirely goal oriented martial that has not been outdated by modern technology and trains for scuffles with multiple opponents and people unbound by rules.
ratfungus
dwinton wrote:
I do not believe in the philosophical or belt based aspects of most martial arts. My view has always been that the goal of a martial art was to inflict or deflect as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. For this reason, I favor Krav Maga (used by the IDF), which is an entirely goal oriented martial that has not been outdated by modern technology and trains for scuffles with multiple opponents and people unbound by rules.

Pretty much what I was talking about. Ju-Jitsu - real Ju-Jitsu - has the same philosophy. Maximum damage, minimum effort to inflict that damage (all the areas on my previous post), in the shortest possible time. When you're fighting to stay alive and you blind an attacker, maybe cripple another and possibly kill another by crushing a wind pipe - c'est a guerre. When you have tried all other means to dissuade an attacker(s) you must do whatever it takes to defend yourself. IDF, for those who don't know, are the Israeli Defense Forces, who, in my opinion (I'm and ex-British Army Soldier), man for man (or woman for woman) would wipe the floor with almost any forces from any country in the world.
Bofia
i would say boxing
Malchior
I don't know any martial arts but I do watch movies. Well for me I think the best martial arts is Shaolin Kung Fu. It's really powerful and good to learn so that you'll know how to defend yourself but of course you have to sacrifice in order to achieve it. I think Shaolin Kung Fu is not only about kicking or punching, but it also has style which gives a little sense in it. Who would like to learn a martial art which is basically about beating the crap out of a person? Very Happy

But I think all the martial arts ever invented has style but I'm still going for Shaolin Kung Fu. Smile
jayrelle
Teakwondo..hmm.. Very Happy
kerryworkman
ratfungus wrote:
kerryworkman wrote:
mansonivan wrote:

I think it's from Africa. Slaves (who would have been warriors in their homeland) were banned from practicing their martial arts. They disguised them as a dance to keep their art alive and to hide it from their slave masters.

Capoeira (IPA: [ka.puˈej.ɾɐ]) is an African-Brazilian fight-dance and martial art created by enslaved Africans during the 16th Century.

I found the above info on wikipedia. I also have heard that it is the supposed start of break dancing in New York.
kerryworkman
This is a well written, informative post you wrote, however, I don't see the conection to the current topic "which is the best martial art". Unless perhaps this is your own form of martial arts "shop-fu" Smile lol. JK

jon9314 wrote:
My current job is as an academic developer. I work with teachers, helping them learn how to teach better, particularly in relation to using the internet in their teaching.

I am paid enough in the sense that I can live on what I earn and pay my bills. When I get miserable about something, or anxious, I often spend money. I'll go buy myself something, or get my hair done, or just do the household shopping, but the expensive version of it instead of the basic version.

It has taken me a long time to realise how much I do this. It really isn't helping anything. It messes up my saving, adds to my worries and leads to more negative feelings and more spending. I finally realised that this is nuts, and am learning to stop it. The difference is great. I am bringing home less junk, spending less time looking at stuff in shops and saving money. Hanging around shopping centres is not very good for my head. I start focussing on what I don't have instead of what I do have.

I've finally started working on some financial goals, specific things to save for instead of thinking I'll never have enough money for anything big, and wasting it on small things. I got a financial advisor a while ago, and I am trying to educate myself better about what happens with money. It isn't my natural forte but I'm making progress.

How much is enough? Well, I don't want to live in poverty. I want to live in my own home, not just rent, and have enough money to eat, pay my bills, keep my computer up to date, and look after my cat. At this stage I need a car, but maybe one day I won't. At present I work, but one day I won't do that either, or at least not go out to work. I don't feel the need for great riches, relative to my neighbours. I want to keep learning, keep reasonable happy and useful, and have some modest fun. That is enough for me.
Vladalf
The only martial arts I've done are Wushu.
I really liked it, where I did the martial arts were nice people. Some of the older ones went with the ''sensei'' to competitions and won. Though it was nice, I stopped doing Wushu, I didn't have enough time.
Rico
For the reason of the entire deficiency in appreciation for the side splitting humor (in the event that the clichι is of intolerable nature, substitute with one of your own), formerly flaunted at this juncture, the original post has been removed.

For further information contact the ADECR (The Association against the Deformation of Eastern Cults and Religion).

By order:
Psyhaw Naahrah
hiquality
ju jitsu is relly nice.I don;t theink there's a "best artial mart" it's just the martial art that you find yourself in.I practiced Judo for 2.5 years and I must say I'm pretty happy with the things I learned then.i would happilly do it again but unfortunatelly I have no time left
UnikeViruz
My opinion on this is Jujitsu. Brazilian Jujitsu is the best combined with kick boxing and a little hapkido. It's most self defence tactics and breaking your enemies arms focusing on joint desctuction >Smile Trust me...It's some good stuff
jsk02a
I practicied Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido for about ten years.

I loved it, not only did it teach me how to become and remain flexibile, but it was great as a kid to start it because it gave me a lot of self-diciplne. I tired to go back about a year ago (I'm 23 now), but the classes were full of kids. I wish I could find a marial arts place that catered to mostly adults. However, it is a great thing for kids to get into...I know I was a bit of a trouble maker when I was younger, so TKD was an invaluable experience for me growing up.
AtlanticDrive
i practised a few martial arts, now i train iaido. anyway as my teacher says,

for one his own ..or her development there comes a point you have to go on. go further then comparing different styles, or keeping ur mind busy with the question: what is the best martial art..

maybe u should ask urself.. am i the best martial artist lol.

Smile
Sphaerenkern
I'd prefer Jeet Kune Do, but I never did it. I've done Karate for eleven years, and that's the reason I like JKD Very Happy
Afaceinthematrix
I like Ninjutsu. I've always wanted to be a Ninja! That would be cool.
ratfungus
anthonygerbils wrote:
Quote:

Haven't heard of Taiqi quan (unless it is one of the different spellings of Tai Chi Chuan - often just called Tai Chi - which is Chinese). As far as Aikijutsu - The Samurai (Japans equivalent of European Knights) used different Martial Arts depending on their situation. For example - they were mounted, armed warriors. However, if they became dis-mounted - they would still use their weapons (the most feared of which was the bow and arrow - not the Katana (or long sword)). However, if they were both dis-mounted and either had no weapons (lost during a fight for example) or they had been knocked off a horse and didn't have time to draw a weapon because an attacker was on they immediately - they would use unarmed combat to kill. The unarmed combat they used was Jui-Jitsu. In some clans, all the Martial Arts techniques - both using weapons and when unarmed - came under the heading of Jui Jitsu (or Yawara - which was an older name before Jui-Jitsu). Part of the repertoire of Jui-Jitsu (which has more techniques than any other martial art) was Aikijutsu. Aikijutsu was used for very close quarter, unarmed killing (much as the purpose of Krav Maga and other military unarmed combat skills (though the techniques used in both Jui-Jitsu (and it's sub-part Aikijutsu) are quite different to Krav Maga - in my opinion)). Some of the restraining techniques that were used to incapacitate an enemy were specifically used - not to kill - but to capture. The captive would then be released if the captives clan paid a ransom. This sort of thing was not uncommon in feudal Japan before the late 1600s. In about 1690 the pro-Western Japanese government banned Jui-Jitsu for being barbaric. Some Samurai went to South America (ie Brazillian Ju-Jitsu - BJJ), some went to Europe and some defied the government and went underground (either took to the hills or practiced in secret). That's how Ju-Jitsu came to Europe and South America. Some obeyed the government and took out all the most deadly Ju-Jitsu (which is not a sport) techniques. Do forms (or sport forms) of martial arts were then formed - Karate Do, BJJ, Aiki Do, Judo, Kendo etc. Also - in a one to one fight with Ninja versus Samurai - a Ninja would have almost no chance. They were skilled as assassins but would not (generally speaking) have a chance with a Samurai - one on one. Women were also Samurai - not just the men. There was a peasant uprising against the Shogun (as the peasants had a harsh life and were treated like dirt). Almost universally, the Samurai had a totally derisory view of the peasants and even more so with regards to any fighting skills or Samurai spirit the peasants might have. However, the peasant army defeated the Samurai.

Hope this helps.
Idoru
I'd say that all form of close encounters that end's up in wrestling kind of squares out how good you kick or punch,
and though it may cost a punch you often get your opponent on the ground. When there, there are a few schools left, but
I'd go for Brazilian Ju-jutsy (or how you now like to spell it Wink ).
ratfungus
Idoru wrote:
I'd say that all form of close encounters that end's up in wrestling kind of squares out how good you kick or punch,
and though it may cost a punch you often get your opponent on the ground. When there, there are a few schools left, but
I'd go for Brazilian Ju-jutsy (or how you now like to spell it Wink ).

A point to remember - real Ju Jitsu (there are different spellings of Jui-Jitsu) has almost all of it's techniques BANNED from BJJ and MMA. That is understandable - it's not a sport. It is designed to kill and maim - literally. Real Ju Jitsu (and derivations of it) is what is used by the military around the world. In a typical attack in MMA for example, someone who is trained in real Ju Jitsu (or similar) would use open hands to gouge eyes, strike to the carotid arteries, strike to the throat, bite (if the circumstances arose), head butt, boot in the groin, break fingers etc. All these are ABSOLUTELY TYPICAL Ju Jitsu techniques and, as I said, understandably banned from MMA. Once the attack goes to the ground - real Ju Jitsu would not then typically wrestle for an arm lock etc. Using real Ju Jitsu, you would stamp on an attackers (it would be an attacker not an opponent) head, knee joint, ribs, throat etc. If you (the person being attacked and who knew Ju Jitsu or a similar martial art) were also on the ground - you still wouldn't JUST go for an arm lock or something similar while the attacker tried to resist such a move. In real Ju Jitsu - you would, for example, smash a heel into their face a couple of times, again (as with standing defense) jab your thumbs into their eyes, hit, grab and rip the testicles in quick succession and then apply - not an arm bar - but an an bar which hyper extends and breaks the elbow joint (there now being little or no resistance as the attacker is unconscious or semi-conscious). MMA is brilliant to watch - these guys (and sometimes women) are fit, strong, brave, skilled, conditioned - and usually very intelligent. However, MMA is a sport. A real martial art like Ju Jitsu is designed to kill in the extreme or at the very least to devastate and incapacitate your attacker(s) in very quick time. To defend yourself could mean your life and using Ju Jitsu you might have to do that with disregard to what happens to the attacker. That is not appropriate for any sport. You will react in a real situation the same way you train. It doesn't matter if you are the undisputed MMA master, Bruce Lee or Steven Segal - if you get two thumbs in the eyes, followed by a head butt to the nose, and elbow to the mandible (lower jaw), a boot in the testicles, followed by a boot to the occipital (the lower read part of the skull) - your finished. You may think that this series of strikes (any one of which could render any attacker incapacitated) is over the top but that is how people who are trained to kill would typically kill an attacker. This series of strikes would take - literally - a few seconds. It's not a sporting contest with two (usually) equally matched athletes contesting a bout, with a referee and medical backup. So you need to be sure what it is you want to learn. MMA and BJJ are more and more popular and these sports will certainly keep you safe from the average unarmed, untrained thug in the street. Good luck with whatever you decide to learn.
drunk3n_f1st
anthonygerbils wrote:

jeet kune do
DizzyDesign
Some of the martial arts are like riding your bike. You get some exercise without straining yourself too much, but it takes a little bit longer than you wanted to get to your destination, others are like walking the whole way - it takes hours to get there but you see all kinds of sights on the way and learn a lot. However, you have to decide whether the time it took was worth the effort.
No one martial art is better than another, yet at the same time all martial arts have something that is better than the others, and ultimately the choice one makes as to which martial art to study comes down to personal preference.
The point I'm making is that the question of whether one art is better than another does not depend on the art itself, but rather on the person who is studying that art. If the art is suited to the practitioner, then the martial artist will ultimately become very skillful and very accomplished. On the other hand, if the martial artist can't kick, yet chooses Taekwondo as his style he will have a very hard time!

So which martial art is the best? In the end it simply depends on you and what your specific skills and talents are! It would probably be better to ask which martial art would suit you best.
martinb
DizzyDesign wrote:
Some of the martial arts are like riding your bike. You get some exercise without straining yourself too much, but it takes a little bit longer than you wanted to get to your destination, others are like walking the whole way - it takes hours to get there but you see all kinds of sights on the way and learn a lot. However, you have to decide whether the time it took was worth the effort.
No one martial art is better than another, yet at the same time all martial arts have something that is better than the others, and ultimately the choice one makes as to which martial art to study comes down to personal preference.
The point I'm making is that the question of whether one art is better than another does not depend on the art itself, but rather on the person who is studying that art. If the art is suited to the practitioner, then the martial artist will ultimately become very skillful and very accomplished. On the other hand, if the martial artist can't kick, yet chooses Taekwondo as his style he will have a very hard time!

So which martial art is the best? In the end it simply depends on you and what your specific skills and talents are! It would probably be better to ask which martial art would suit you best.

true. i feel age has something to do with it too. would you recommend a hard style martial art to an older person? i wouldnt, younger people who need that outlet for all that energy expenditure would be better suited for that, soft style for older people (tai chi, ju jistsu). this is not to say if someone wants to pursue a particular style they should let their age dictate what kind, just that your age may be a factor in what is best for you to pursue.
TheLastKnight
I'd say that all martial arts has there pros and cons. I'd have to say that it's whatever you find more interesting.
taskendo
Iaido and Kendo ^^
chi0
Yeh, I agree with those who say that there's no "best" martial art... it all depends on the person and their preferences.

For me, I really enjoyed kung fu. I used to do Northern Longfist.

A while ago, I went to Thailand to train in Muay Thai for a few weeks. It was a lot of fun, but it's way too brutal for me! Razz
RubySlasher
I'd definitely be interested in studying something escrima-like. Like Pekiti-Tirsia Kali.
It's a very violent, realistic, gut-your-opponent-like-a-pig kind of martial art. If you can't carry around a gun, at least you can carry around a knife. And the ability to effectively use sticks and your hands to kill isn't too bad, either.
Aeonxxx
I feel that Tai Chi Chuan, Kung Fu is the most experience Martial art there is. It teaches you technique, speed, meditation of your right, and much more.
JamesD122
Right now I am doing Shorinji Kempo. I am in a private dojo with 4 other people including my sensei. He has a black belt in numerous martial arts, and kind of takes from each to make the most plausible techniques and such.
jcvincent75
Zui Quan or Drunken Fist is the best martial art for me. Not only that its style is unique but I also love watching Jackie Chan do it in his Drunken Master movies. I also like the way it gives a false appearance to your opponent that you are defenseless and off balance most of the time. It really looks like a very hard martial art to learn.

According to what I read , it is the among the most difficult wushu styles to learn because it requires powerful joints and fingers.

So if I am to learn kung fu, I'll study Zui Quan. The only problem there is that I don't drink. LOL.

Cheers!
gcaughill
anthonygerbils wrote:

Wouldn't a mixture of them be better, use different tools for different jobs.

As opposed to:

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail."

So if you think of ma like tools, you should learn strengths and weaknesses of each one.
Bannik
when you say fav you need to be more specific, I love them all but you cant say which is best...i.e drunken fist visually is better then karate but in a fight karate is more effective...

so if its looks or history then my fav would be capoeira
if its for best defense style i would say my fav is JKD
PromiseMe
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is by far the best martial art that I've come across. I may be a tad biased (I've only been going every single day to get ready for our upcoming tournament), but the Gracies are all the proof I need.
Besides, it's practical. Some guy at school decided that I was just another one of his guy friends and slung me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. When he put me down, I cinched a guillotine choke around his neck tight enough to get him to leave me alone for a while.
I'm glad to see Jiu Jitsu has such a large following! We're few and far between where I live. People prefer Tae Kwan Do because of the fancy kicks and quick progression. Personally, I prefer something I can use, so that I don't get mugged or worse when I'm walking home at night.
mikakiev
Ninjutsu is my favourite.
jwellsy
I like Tai Chi, but then again I'm an old fart so I guess that fits me best.
amperx
capoera, < dont mind the spelling XD, fighting in rhythm sure looks cool dunno about its effectiveness though
Cmink32
Personally I don't believe one martial is better or stand out above the rest. Having said that, I do believe some are more effective and with the right combination they become more effective. Take Jiu-Jitsu for example. Yes, it is very effective on the ground, and is very effective at subduing an opponent, but I remember Royce Gracie saying, "Punch a black belt in the face once and he is a brown belt, punch him again and he is a purple belt, punch him enough and he is back down to white." I would have to agree with this because average Jiu-Jitsu training does not entail getting punched on a regular basis, but if you combine Jiu-Jitsu with a strong stand up style the two balance out but are still not unbeatable. Muay Thai being a very strong stand up style, focusing on very strong and quick movement compliments the very compact style of Jiu_Jitsu. If you use Jiu-Jitsu as your defense and Muay Thai as your offense you become a very serious threat to any opponent.

So saying that one style is the beat all, or end all, style is a very poor way to look at it. But rather with a combination of styles and extensive training, any of them can become effective.
Idoru
Got a son who started training karate. Kyokushin, to be specific.
He's eight years of age, the youngest you may be here, when starting, and he loves it. He hasn't
missed a single training, and got mad when the car didn't start, so we almost didn't make it there in
time. Smile
Anyhow, I've been to the trainings and met the leaders, and must say that my impressions are good.
Partlly because of his entusiasm, ofcourse, but also for the values thought. They are hard on respect,
and can still relax enough to play. Even when they drive them tough, there is a warm smile behind it.
So, anyone else got experience of kyokushin? What do you think, is it a good place to start?
Tahsin14
in my opinion Karate is the the style i do and recommend is Wado-Ryu Wa means "harmony," dō means "way," and ryū means "style."
Ryox
karate is one of my favorites, and have been doing for a year or so, till a situation happened that I couldn't do it anymore, but life is life, have to move on and learn yourself as you go Smile
kriszara
I enjoy Tai Chi.
When I am stressed and need to relax, I do my tai chi forms nice and slow, focusing on my breathing. It becomes a moving meditation.
When I want a good workout, I do my forms as low to the ground as I can. Getting a great stretch and strength workout all in one.
My DD takes Kung-fu and when she is in the mood to wrestle/play-fight I simply avoid or absorb her attacks. It drives her crazy Very Happy
darkwater49
I'm not exactly a martial arts pro.. but im currently taking karate lessons.. so i guess it'll be karate.
jinz22
martial arts is one of the best excersize and great hobby/passion to do or learn. my favorite one is KARATE and i started doing since i was 6 and now i m almost 18...
McTurtle
The best fighters I know do a combination of Brazilian Jiu Juitsui (BJJ) and Muay Thai. I liked Wing Chun myself but the blocks are no good for the twisting punches you get in Karate.
lucian0127
anthonygerbils wrote:

samurai sword
rope
knife
tangeos
stalf
chain
u-bi-bo
and many more

These are all techniques what i wanna learn.. but sadly to say that here in philippines only Taekwondo, Judo Karate and Jiu Jitzu are only available... from what country these kind of techniques are available?

Thanks in advanced mates!
nebunaticu
tai quando is the best
iman
I'm not really sure what's the best out there, but I've tried taekwondo and aikido.
In my opinion, since I'm more of a passive person, I like aikido better.
That way, you can always say your opponent moved first.
zachariah
Well I love Wing Chun and it's the best martial art for me.
I haven't tried others yet.
jigoku05
muay thai + jiujitsu
pscompanies
yeah its not much fun unless there is competetion between friends but with this martial art well the "real" ju jitsu not the sport one is a dangerous one so sometimes competition can be a bad thing.
but i see your point but its worth going back..
izakjanse
well i must say i love Judo im currently doing a program from Matt D'Aquino a Olympic he actually have a online coarse i think ill just add it (MODERATOR - Link redacted) if you want to check it out as far as i am aware this gives you fitness training and all to getting you to a master i am just getting the training directly and i must say this guy is good never been pushed this hard
loveandormoney
anthonygerbils wrote:

Try Tai chi
did You ever try it?