FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gmail still beta?

Gieter
Gmail is still beta (www.gmail.com -> see logo.) But if I'm not wrong, Gmail exists since somewhere 2004. Why is it for such a long time beta?
smartbei
Well, they are still adding features. Take for example, the Google chat which was recently integrated into GMail. It is constantly coming up and going down, and perhaps they want to iron out the problems before releasing GMail as a finished product. Also, it has been suggested that they are giving GMail away for free, and then will make it a paid service once they remove the Beta. This is supported by their terms fo service on the matter:

Quote:
Description of Service. Gmail is a free, search-based email application from Google (the "Service"). You understand and agree that the Service may include content-targeted ads or other related information, as further described below and in the Gmail Privacy Policy. In addition, you understand and agree that the Service is provided on an AS IS and AS AVAILABLE basis. Google disclaims all responsibility and liability for the availability, timeliness, security or reliability of the Service. Google also reserves the right to modify, suspend or discontinue the Service with or without notice at any time and without any liability to you.

silentpark
and ofcouse inaofficially you can excuse possible bugs, privacy violations ?

if something is beta (well the tos make this possible too)
but thats fr sure a reason why they hold gmail beta
hcjgh
Gmail its still a test and will be for a while--i think. Its good thought. Many new features added almost every week and its for free.

WHERE ARE YOU MICROSOFT?!?!?!?
Gieter
hcjgh wrote:

WHERE ARE YOU MICROSOFT?!?!?!?

Can you specify who you are talking to? I'm not pro Microsoft, I was just wondering. I know that beta-versions are test-versions, but the test really takes a long time. Wink
Josso
I don't have a problem with it but I was also wondering fairly recently why it was still "BETA" even though as far as I can see all the very small bugs have been sorted. I assumed temporarily they may have forgotten to take it off but this is Google we're talking about.
MR2005
personally , I didn't like the GMail at all , I think hotmail is the best ever even with the 2 mb mail , it may last for ever as Beta version who cares Razz
kansloos
Gmail's layout is much better then hotmail's layout and hotmail has a
lot of ad's

Gmail is in my opinion much better.
Helios
The answer to the question is: YES.

(read what's written on that picture)

If you'll(or someone) will have more questions like that:
http://www.google.com/contact/

Locked (spam).

*note: the picture above was taken from http://gmail.com