FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dungeons and Dragons, in paper issue

imera
I wonder if there is someone that still plays Dungeon and Dragons in the paper issue??
I have never played it, but I want to. I would rather have the books than the computer game, more fun, especially if I could get my younger sisters to play it with me without them arguing for something stupid.
Shike
What do you mean "in the paper issue"?

If you mean Tabletop, then yes, there are a large number of people who play this way. I, am one of them. IF you go to http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome&dcmp=ILC-TSRURL this is the official website. There are a great number of forums, though sometimes members can get edgy. I would rather suggest going to http://www.candlekeep.com and asking questions on their forums, as it is a generally more courteous group.
Toran
With the new rules simplification and starter pack there has never been a better time to start. It used to take hours of study to get started now you can dice into your first game within an hour. THe new approach is to add rules as you need them. Your first few games will be very simple and as you become more drawn into the fascinating world of D&D you will learn more and more about the game. It is amazing how little you need to start now and yet it develops into a very comprehensive system.
Shike
I would have to say that the d20 system in general is much easier to learn and use than the previous AD&D. After a couple of games I was teaching others the system. I now only have to use the rule book for the classes that I don't have memorized, spells, and rules that I didn't use at all.

Again, the system was designed, in my opinion, to re-birth the system and make it more user friendly and easier to learn (what does Thac0 mean again?) With almost all of the major mechanics being the same (roll a d20 + appropriate Ability bonus + skill/attack/save bonus and beat the DC/AC) it makes the system a little more intuitive and accessible to newer players. But, once a player becomes familiar with the system, they begin to understand the drawbacks and restrictions, and are ready for a more complex, yet universally more adaptable system, such as the HERO system, which also has its drawbacks, but is infinately more adaptable and customisable.
Jim_the_cat
yes I remember, I played with my friend! I got a paper cut and I quit....
but it was fun while it lasted! the 100-sided dice and pencils!!!
trickstott
I and my friends found the current D&D system far too restrictive. They have rules to cover everything and because of this the make it very hard to create an original character.

The best table-top RPGs I have ever played are "7th Sea" and "Legend of the Five Rings". They are excellently constructed for smooth gameplay and original characters.

While I have never been a fan of the Shadowrun system, the new Shadowrun 4th edition is really excellent. If you have an desire to play cyberpunk, it is the place to go.
Shike
Trickstott,

Have you looked at the HERO system? It is a universal system, like GURPS, but, in my opinion, does it much better. You're right. d20 is very restrictive, but that is what it was designed for.

I haven't played AEG's d10 system for 7th Sea and L5r, but I have looked at some of the material and really ejoyed it.

My one shadow run experience was fun, but I don't think the GM knew exactaly what he was doing, but that was over 6 years ago.
iridios
Shocked

Finally, others who play and talk about pen&paper RPGs!!

Heh. I played Shadowrun from '89 to middle of last year. I haven't played RPGs in quite some time because it's almost impossible to get a group together where I live.

Currently I'm working on some ideas to develop my own games and distribute/sell them over the internet. I'll be posting a poll soon for some ideas.

I'm also working on my site (thanks FriHost) to work with others over the internet on these projects. The sites not ready yet but soon. Very soon.

P.S. If anyone one is interested in volunteering to help develop games, keep an eye out soon. This may go nowhere, but sometimes they take off.
Shike
iridios wrote:
Shocked

Finally, others who play and talk about pen&paper RPGs!!

Heh. I played Shadowrun from '89 to middle of last year. I haven't played RPGs in quite some time because it's almost impossible to get a group together where I live.

Currently I'm working on some ideas to develop my own games and distribute/sell them over the internet. I'll be posting a poll soon for some ideas.

I'm also working on my site (thanks FriHost) to work with others over the internet on these projects. The sites not ready yet but soon. Very soon.

P.S. If anyone one is interested in volunteering to help develop games, keep an eye out soon. This may go nowhere, but sometimes they take off.

I'll take a look. I'm currently building a Fantasy Campaign World (with mechanics for both d20 and HERO) if you want to take a look. There isn't much up yet, but It is definately a work in progress.

The campain setting is Abra Dar.

I'd like to take a look at your game system and possibly play test for you. If you want I could also add it to my "supported" gaming systems and add mechanics for my setting. Though I don't know if you are making the system compatable with the Fantasy Genre or not.
iridios
Shike wrote:

I'll take a look. I'm currently building a Fantasy Campaign World (with mechanics for both d20 and HERO) if you want to take a look. There isn't much up yet, but It is definately a work in progress.

The campain setting is Abra Dar.

I'd like to take a look at your game system and possibly play test for you. If you want I could also add it to my "supported" gaming systems and add mechanics for my setting. Though I don't know if you are making the system compatable with the Fantasy Genre or not.

I've been stuck in low gear of late. I've been working two jobs and doing 9 hrs OT at one each week. Makes for lots of late nights and little leftover energy. Sad

Just installed MD-Pro CMS on my site so I can not worry about that part of the project. Still learning the ins and outs of that ATM.

BUT...... Your post has given me some positive hope that it won't be for naught. More later.
Shike
iridios wrote:
I've been stuck in low gear of late. I've been working two jobs and doing 9 hrs OT at one each week. Makes for lots of late nights and little leftover energy. Sad

Just installed MD-Pro CMS on my site so I can not worry about that part of the project. Still learning the ins and outs of that ATM.

BUT...... Your post has given me some positive hope that it won't be for naught. More later.

Believe me, I know what it's like to not have too much energy. I have a 1 yr old Hellion that kept me and my wife up all night. (BTW i work part time and care for my son about triple time Smile )

My email is in my sig. Go ahead and visit my site (not very nice to look at yet, my wife is the visual artist) but I plan on having a somewhat interactive map of the known world as well as basic history, mythology, regional history, racial histories, etc. Have fun and let me know.
trickstott
I haven't checked out HERO since it came out, and at the time I was too in love with AEG to give it much thought. The "project" I'm working on now is that I am running a Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign using the 7th Sea rules. It's working well, but fights with large single enemies are hard to narrate, harder than in D&D. But the story requires it for now, so the big creature fights remain.

Court intrigue is easy and fun in AEG's system, I look forward to picking up their new edition of Legend of the Five Rings.
Shike
I haven't actually looked at the Kalamar setting. I'm making my own, with both Hero System Rules and d20 rules ( I like d20 for its "simplicity" and accessablility for new gamers). it's a fantasy Celtic/Japanese type setting. It needs a LOT of work, but its goin' ok.
yx86
I've always wanted to play it but it isn't very popular (try non-existant Evil or Very Mad) in my country.. If there are shops selling the modules, I have yet to find them..

I've heard that it's possible to play it over the internet (fourm/email) but haven't found any groups like these, though..

Anyone knows where I might get an online copy of the modules (but I think it'll be illegal Rolling Eyes ) and possibly find a group that plays it online?
Shike
IT depends on the game. Hero Games sells all of their products, also Wizards of the Coast, owns D&D and they sell the products. Amazon.com, Barnes and NOble, and many other online book sellers sell the books. In the Table Top RPG world a module is a pre-written story or adventure that uses the basic (or sometimes more advanced) rules for a particular system. There are literally hundreds of different RPG systems out there that work well in their particular areas. HERO is a universal system that does most things well, D&D and by extention d20 does fantasy, ala Lord of the Rings, well, (but add quite a bit more magic). the Storyteller system (by White Wolf) does intrigue well. GURPS is another universal system that, again, does most things well. Rolemaster, in my estimation, does fantasy well. Another system is the Shadowrun system that does cyberpunk well (ala Matrix).

The list goes on and on. Each system has its own rules, quirks, etc. and they all have a relative learning curve. I, myself, and experineced in both the HERO system and D&D (d20) and enjoy both, reminding myself that they are seperate systems. Both the HERO System and D&D have discussion boards that you can sign up for and ask about online games play by mail games (PBM) Play by Email (PbEM) Play by Post (PBP, for the hero system go to Hero Central to join some play by post games.)

If you have other questions, please ask.

EDIT: You can also go to my website, here, to get a little information. (I am definately heavily building my website.)
lycadia
YAY P n P Gaming!
Sorry, nothing profound to say, I just had to cheer. I miss having a regular tabletop group to play with, but at least I can still play by IM with a few people I know.
*grins* I know everyone says d20 is easier to learn, but I guess it's hard for old dogs to learn new tricks. My big brother taught me AD&D when I was about 6 and though I've mastered a lot of systems since, I just happen find d20 a bit... clunky and awkward somehow. Still to each their own! I don't care what people play, I'm just glad some people still do play pen and paper. Just Seeing this thread has put a smile on my face! Thanks to all who posted.
trickstott
One unusual setting is a game called Gemini. It is from a Swedish company called CELL. It is a dark fantasy universe based on the duality of good and evil, and of life and death.

I remember enjoying the combat system because it was very streamlined and stopped the game from getting bogged down in combat. All you, the player, do in combat is decide to fight defensively, offensively, or feint. The styles had a paper rock scissors feel, but it allowed you to view the mechanical results of a battle quickly and then decide on the narration. The game, at least in the dition that I played, suggested a sort of group storytelling when it came to combat so that players could narrate themselves in combat so they could be as stylish as they wanted.

We had a lot of fun with it.
Shike
lycadia wrote:
YAY P n P Gaming!
Sorry, nothing profound to say, I just had to cheer. I miss having a regular tabletop group to play with, but at least I can still play by IM with a few people I know.
*grins* I know everyone says d20 is easier to learn, but I guess it's hard for old dogs to learn new tricks. My big brother taught me AD&D when I was about 6 and though I've mastered a lot of systems since, I just happen find d20 a bit... clunky and awkward somehow. Still to each their own! I don't care what people play, I'm just glad some people still do play pen and paper. Just Seeing this thread has put a smile on my face! Thanks to all who posted.

What do you find difficult about d20?

if I may, I wouldn't mind discussing the plusses and minuses of AD&D and d20.

Personally, I found it somewhat difficult to wrap my head around thac0 and NWP and WP. I never fully understood how they truly worked as the dm I played with used many house rules. I also didn't understand why certain things you needed to roll low for (thac0 and ability checks) but others you wanted to roll high for. Why there were so many different types of saves (never understood what each one was meant to do). That's about all I can remember, off the topof my head.

Any insight??
corridor_writers
Shike wrote:
lycadia wrote:
YAY P n P Gaming!

What do you find difficult about d20?

if I may, I wouldn't mind discussing the plusses and minuses of AD&D and d20.

Personally, I found it somewhat difficult to wrap my head around thac0 and NWP and WP. I never fully understood how they truly worked as the dm I played with used many house rules. I also didn't understand why certain things you needed to roll low for (thac0 and ability checks) but others you wanted to roll high for. Why there were so many different types of saves (never understood what each one was meant to do). That's about all I can remember, off the topof my head.

Any insight??

I would just like to jump in and say that I would very much enjoy getting a discussion going between AD&D and D&D 3.5. I have been playing D&D since the original ‘BASIC’ Edition (the ugly pink box set. Smile When 2nd Edition came out I settled into that and have been playing nothing but for more years than I can count. I have only recently been convinced to move to 3.5, which I am not using full time.

At first I must say I was not happy with 3.5. But the fact is for a new player getting into D&D 3.5 is a lot easier to pick up and understand (THAC0 being a perfect example of something that lost a lot of new players in 2nd Edition.)

I personally still enjoy both, but I think that 3.5 has more flexibility built into it, and makes game play a bit easier and smoother.

Besides, as a DM, there are no ‘rules’ – only guidelines. Thus, knowing all of the previous versions I can make anything work in almost any situation. Smile