FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Playing guitar

jmaraujo
Hello everyone, my hobby is to play the guitar, but i'm still on the learning stage.

I'm tryin' to start building a repertoir... I mostly only know part of many songs (the intro of XXXX song, or the solo of YYYY), so programs like GuitarPro and PowerTab helped-me a lot...

I would like to know if you can recommend me a good place for start. And also if you know any place to get backin tracks (besides eMule, of course).
Thanks!
srikanthsonti
The Good place you asked for is better you start searching for it.
Any way my hobby was also playing Guitar Smile and i learnt some thing from this place where i got my self satisfied so hope it helps you out a little bit. any way whatever you get from others is less than things you get by yourself. hope you understood Wink

Arrow
Code:
http://www.guitarlessonworld.com/
anne-
i am playing the guitar fot 10 years now...and on the net, i didnt really find anything really as helpful as books are...so if i wanted to start learning how to play the guitar i would buy books
also a good idea is playing the song while you re hearing it, and try to sound the same....you can actually learn a lot of stuff
ocalhoun
I used to play the guitar, but I quit a long time ago. I would practice for a few minuites while recording it, then replay the tape over and over again. Nobody ever noticed.
Konimaka
i play guitar too
i learn a lot of things out of guitar pro, but i also get lessons.
i play anything from rock to metal actually Razz
LEMU
I've played guitar for about 6 years now, and I've never taken one actual lesson in my life. Mostly it's been my friends who have taught me. It's good to have other musical friends if you play something Smile I also recommend Guitar pro for learning to play stuff, at least for me it's been really helpful. You also might want to check out www.mysongbook.com for guitar pro tabs.
smash_group
I want to play guitar because I like to do some performance. I think guitar is a good choice (ps: I am learning piano, violin and percussion. Surprised
neumo
I've been playing guitar for almost 15 years now. I've taken a few lessons, which were pretty worthless. But that really depends on the instructor. Every book I've picked up has been just about as useful -- which is to say not very. I was however in a band for about two years, having been playing for 3 or 4, and I can tell you that there is absolutely no better learning experience than being in that kind of environment. My fellow musicians were all a bit better than I, so that helped too. But if nothing else just playing all the time and forcing myself to continually learn new riffs and solos was the best. I advanced more in those few years than I did in all my time playing before and since combined. And its great fun --- so go start/join a band already! Playing alone in front of your computer will only get you so far.
opsdaddy
Neumo is right on the money... playing with players better than you is really key to becoming good. Provided, of course, that you've mastered the basics, and the better guitarists are generous souls. If they're more interested in showing you how good they are, then find another player ASAP!

There ARE a few good videos out there...can't remember titles now, but I'll repost if I can find them (just moved). They're good since you can view a sequence of notes over and over and even slow them down.

However, the key is to practice, practice, practice...
Nologico
guitars rocks... I'm starting off too... Wink ...
Besides that I play synt and I'm a vocalist...

as said... and like in everything you need to practise... A LOT...

It took me 3 months to learn to play the piano... Cool

But guitar is little diffrent ... my fingers hurt... Embarassed
schudder
Quote:
3 months to learn the piano

And exactely how good can you play? I've been playing for 9 years now.. Sure, I could play after 3 months as well (even after a week), but I wouldn't call that "playing" Wink

On topic, I've been playing guitar on and off for 2.5 years now, mostly just tring stuff out and checking the internet (to learn chords and stuff). Can't say I'm very good yet, but I could probably survive in a small punkband Wink
Sickness
Guitar Players, please visit the guitar/bass topic at the music forum! Thanks!
Petee
I'm pretty much a self taught electric guitar/bass guitar player. I'm not real good, but I'm not bad either. I can play a few songs, mainly stuff by Boston and such.
mugglesquop
hey. i was wondering what guitars people have. Personally i have a Aria Pro II Les Paul, a very nice guitar, plays well. I was looking to get a Epiphone G400 Gothic. I was wondering if anyone has had the guitar, or a similar guitar. Any feedback would be good.

Thanks

-peace-
Dragate
I"m going to get a new guitar soon from my firend (my only first guitar) heheh for only 150bux waht a deal! I look forward to learning and practicing man... gonna be so sweet.. i'll be like Cool
SunburnedCactus
Lessons are essential if you want to develop your playing and wipe out any bad habits. Though it does help if your teacher is at least reasonable.
Mr Smith
I recently had a Strat styled electric, but sold that. I have now recently moved onto acoustic and am loving it. I own an ashton one, piece of crap - but does the job just fine.
jstoeffler
i've been playing guitar for about a year and a half.
if it weren't for the internet, i probably wouldn't have started playing.
we had an old acoustic sittin' around and one day i saw an article on the net on how to play, so i got out the guitar, bought a tuner, tuned it up, and learned a few chords on it.
now i have an electric and i can play alot more than a few chords. i would say i know at least 75 songs.
but here's the site i use the most for guitar stuff. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com
alexjbarrett
I had lessons when I was a kid. I gave them up after a year (bad move that) but I learnt enough to be able to put a few chords together and to be able to strum along to some songs.

I've found that since apple computer released garageband, I've beome a lot more interested in the guitar again as well as keyboard.
kazza
Yeah! Ultimate guitar is awesome!

Anyways, when i started playing guitar I took lessons for a year which helped me with the basics that I can build on as I started learning and improvising myself.

I recommend anyone starting guitar to learn the basics of music theory including scales and how different chords are form. That way, u'd be able to improvise and make your own songs. I also recommend learning the notes on the fretboard and the scale patterns - if u wanna solo.

I follow Guitar Tips. Just register for their newsletters and you can access their archive. They got great lessons on just about anything including types and brands of guitar.
Kai
jmaraujo wrote:
Hello everyone, my hobby is to play the guitar, but i'm still on the learning stage.

I'm tryin' to start building a repertoir... I mostly only know part of many songs (the intro of XXXX song, or the solo of YYYY), so programs like GuitarPro and PowerTab helped-me a lot...

I would like to know if you can recommend me a good place for start. And also if you know any place to get backin tracks (besides eMule, of course).
Thanks!

Personally I am a experienced guitarist having played the instrument since I was 5 and enjoying such music as Jimmy Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Lynard Skynard, and the list goes on. I was self taught but I would have to say ur best bet is to get lessons start by learning to read the music then PRACTISE, PRACTISE, PRACTISE. If you dont, theres no point
gryx
Ya. I'm trying to learn to play the bass, it's slow going. The good news is that I let my friend who playes guitar borrow it for a while so i could pursue other hobbie. ( I have way too many) he says he's picked up enough to teach me some stuff so we can start playing together. I'm so stoked. O and I met the bassist from Hinder and Theory of a Dead man this weakend so I'm jazed about trying to learn to play again. Any advice would be appreciated.
Till then I'll be jammin
thealpha
I teach guitar for secondary students in Hong Kong. For the starter, I think the most important is the effort the player have. Many of my student do not want to practise the chords, the repetiting cycles, the scales from time to time and they always want me to teach them a lot of songs they want. However, after my demostration, they still can't able to familiar with the songs. Therefore, I think the basic skills are very important for me.
Do you have any feedback?
butterflyfields
Well, I'm learning how to play the guitar and I think it is really fun. What I do is learn from a book (they teach you everything) and jsut choose a song like Nickleback "Savin Me" and learn it. Because you like the specific song, you get mroe motivated. Cool
bonestorm74
I do play guitar although not much recently. I always used Tabs from the web when I was learning, I never took any lessons or used any formal learning techniques. It was generally just for the fun of it.

Although I do wish I had learned scales. They would have come in handy for jamming I'm sure.
oais
I'm really interested in learning how to play the guitar, I'd like some advise from the experienced gurus out here. Ss a beginner, should I purchase an acoustic guitar or should I start with an electronic one? Will it make any difference? Personally I think an electronic guitar should be good for me as it can play both elongated notes and short accoustic like notes. But the music store guy tells me that I should start with the accoustic guitar if I'm a beginner. I'm really confused, can you guys please help me? Rolling Eyes
MYlibrarys24
ive been playing guitar for 7 years and if you can download fret2fret(not paying for it) you can learn to play guitar in 60 minutes and it does actually work its just a memory verse thing and your done. also wiring your electric guitar properly is essental for great sound and reduces hum. ive now learnt to sing and sing while playing guitar its a task but its so much fun just singin g wit mates . dude 17
BlacKRoSeS
I play guitar too, i get lessons, but i learn most of the songs through Guitar Pro, and tabs off of the internet, ultimate-guitar. i play metal and rock mostly. I have 3 guitars, 2 electric and one acoustic, i love playing them all, not at the same time of course Razz
yenbin
jmaraujo wrote:

Thanks!

sorry, can't help!
i don't know how to play
Telnven
Quote:

Thanks!

For guitar tabs I would suggest that you go to http://guitartabs.cc, as for backing tracks I'm not entirely sure. Have you any idea of the type of songs that you are planning to play.

Last but not least, what type of guitar do you play; acoustic, electric or classical?
Thatguy
I've been playing for around 6 years, and neumo is right, a fast way to learn is to jam with other people. If you want to learn alone, tabs were a big help to me. I'm not trying to advertise any tab site, but www.mxtabs.net has some of the more complete and accurate tabs I've seen.

I would probably start on an acoustic guitar first. The strings are heavier and it will be much easier to play on an electric if you want to go that route. It's a lot of fun to play songs for people when you don't have to lug an amp around, and it will sound more "full" if it is just you playing.

To answer the other question: I have a Fender Telecaster (my baby Smile), an Ibanez RG470, and a cheapy Epiphone acoustic guitar.
sbx_master
I want to play the guitar, but i can't.... no one can teach me Crying or Very sad
sugarbox
I love pling guitar
SoulSphere
I can play the white stripes, jimi hendrix, metallica, and more. I love playing guitar and hope to get a fender flying v in my lifetime.
Grego.Sanders
I started learning to play guitar last year... and I didnt move from C-scale because Im just too lazy for it. But playing the guitar is one of the best things on the world. My dad plays it excellent and he is downloading some tabs every day, so I can give you some links if you want to.
Reina
I really wanna learn to play the guitar. i played for about half a year and gave up because i couldn't hold the strings down because my fingers were so small lol.[/url]
GProject
So many people play guitar these days! It's crazy!

I too am one of those people - but I'm at the lower end in terms of ability. I actually bought my first guitar off a college friend very cheaply, just because I'd always wanted to learn. I've been 'teaching' myself (if you can call it that) over the past couple of years.

I'm not trying to be the next Hendrix, I just enjoy learning & playing songs by the bands which I like. The more I've learned, the more I've been able to come up with bits & pieces of my own. I can understand why so many people play - it's an excellent way to relax.
highvoltagerock
kazza wrote:
Yeah! Ultimate guitar is awesome!

Anyways, when i started playing guitar I took lessons for a year which helped me with the basics that I can build on as I started learning and improvising myself.

I recommend anyone starting guitar to learn the basics of music theory including scales and how different chords are form. That way, u'd be able to improvise and make your own songs. I also recommend learning the notes on the fretboard and the scale patterns - if u wanna solo.

I follow Guitar Tips. Just register for their newsletters and you can access their archive. They got great lessons on just about anything including types and brands of guitar.

Can you post their website link please?...
Ankhanu
I'm a guitar player as well, though I'm principally a bassist.
I mostly play indie rock, with some influence from more general rock, folk, punk, grunge, metal and country.

I'm not a great player, but I do love making music all the same. I've been playing for about 15 years, but probably have the skill level of someone who's been playing for about 2 Razz That's fine; I play well enough to play in bands and can find my way around a fretboard well enough... just don't ask me to toss out a wailin' solo Wink

I mostly play a Fender Jaguar through a 1972 Twin Reverb, but have a couple other guitars for different sounds, like a Fender Aerodyne Telecaster or Godin Exit 22. For Basses, I've mostly been playing a Schecter Hellcat VI lately, but before I got that my main bass was a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass, and I have a home-built fretless and a Yamaha BBN5 5-string.
JohnnyCash
I've been at it for about 13 years now. My best advice would be to get into theory and then work on your technical aspects of playing. It'll pay off a lot in the long run.
tomisme
You may try Youtube, just find the songs you like and learn from them.
Spatulax9
I've been playing for 27 years. Its hard for me to even imagine that much time but that how long its been. I started playing songs from books where the chords are written over the staff. Then I just started learning music from ear. The most important thing is just to practice everyday for at least an hour. It will become muscle memory from there. As much as I learned from ear though I also think theory is important. Learn all the scales, modes and intervals. Mostly it helps you talk about music to other musicians. Also its really helpful if you want to improvise.
nepalstar
I also have a dream to play guitar...! but till now I didn't get time to do that actually saying I didn't tried to play guitar. I haven't done any single step toward play guitar but I really enjoy seeing other people playing guitar... one of my cousin play guitar very well, seeing him playing guitar sometime I feel very jealous. Hope one day I will also be play guitar well.
Insanity
You should try to learn guitar. It's quite easy to pick up and you can get a real cheap guitar on craigslist these days. It's a wonderful hobby and you will be able to enchant your friends during bonfires and such. Most pop songs aren't difficult, and it should not be that hard to learn how to play them.
syj824
years ago,I also have a dream to play guitar...! ,Very attractive girl
brianj
i play too, however im no very good at it, just a beginner having some fun in a campfire.