FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[some off-topic talk] Did author Scott Turow get worse?

The Philosopher Princess
EDITED-IN NOTE: Readers, there is some off-topic stuff here, so donít read further if that will bother you. Smile
~~~~~~~~~~
I like a good lawyer novel every once in awhile, and very much enjoyed Scott Turowís Presumed Innocent and A Burden of Proof. (Plus the movies of those 2 were good.) So I figured I must be a Turow fan.

But when I started reading Turowís The Law of Our Fathers, I couldnít believe how horrible it was. I really tried but I couldnít make myself keep reading after a couple dozen pages. I figured it must be a fluke.

Sometime later I read Turowís Pleading Guilty, which I did finish but, throughout, I kept wondering why it wasnít of the caliber of the two I liked. Thatís not what one should think about while reading a book! I shouldíve been drawn into the story! Surprised

So, now Iím putting myself out of my misery Wink and plan to not read any more Turow books unless I get the strong personal recommendation of someone I respect. This is certainly not a problem since there are thousands of good books I have yet to read but I am curious what happened here. I don't think my taste changed; I think his writing changed.

Anyone else have opinions on Scott Turowís books?

I guess this post is at least cathartic for me.
Vrythramax
Don't cut yourself off completely Princess, there may be many good books still be writen.

Nice to hear from you again.
The Philosopher Princess
Okie dokie! But be an Angel and you read them first to let me know which are good.

Hey! Since no one else is showing up to my little topic here, you and I can discuss something privately. Laughing Wink

Iíve started that (secret) book that you and I discussed. My, my, my, is it a real page-turner! Iím going to be ready to discuss it pretty soon. I only just this sec did a Frihost search and I see that a number of topics already address it to some extent. Iím not going to browse/read them until I finish the book, myself.

Without revealing anything of title or content, are they addressing your particular interests in the book?

Anyway, Iíll be seeing you over there one day soon. Very Happy
Vrythramax
I can't honestly say that I have read any of Scott Turowís works...but I am a huge fan of anything political (thrillers, espionage, etc.). Are you familiar with anything by Robert Ludlum?

Just curious.

Always up for a conversation Lady Very Happy
The Philosopher Princess
No, Iím not familiar with any of Robert Ludlumís. That Clancy book I mentioned over there was my first spy book, I think. It was good but I think Iím spied out for awhile. I do need to write up something more on it over there. I probably go more for law-related books, but I like to at least try many types. I used to mostly only read non-fiction.

Max, what about the book you recommended to me: Cicod Et He Dav In? Iíve now finished it, so I can join in some discussions. I donít want to read and talk on every one. I only want to go to the best and the brightest. Which Frihost topics do you recommend? Or were you going to start one yourself?
Vrythramax
ummm..The Road to Gandolfo, The Parsifal Mosiac, The Holcroft Conevanat...to name just a few....great stuff lady. (pardon the spelling)
Vrythramax
The Philosopher Princess wrote:
No, Iím not familiar with any of Robert Ludlumís. That Clancy book I mentioned over there was my first spy book, I think. It was good but I think Iím spied out for awhile. I do need to write up something more on it over there. I probably go more for law-related books, but I like to at least try many types. I used to mostly only read non-fiction.

Max, what about the book you recommended to me: Cicod Et He Dav In? Iíve now finished it, so I can join in some discussions. I donít want to read and talk on every one. I only want to go to the best and the brightest. Which Frihost topics do you recommend? Or were you going to start one yourself?

ex un latinus? Now you truly shame me....the book got riuned by an a** with a spoiler....haven't finished, but still have some questions.

Your thoughts on the "blood", if you will. Do you think the blood exists? I find it hard to beieleve that a gentleman of his age never knew the "touch" of a woman, and given the time of ages, it may well have liden to elsewhere.

Question
Vrythramax
The Philosopher Princess wrote:
Okie dokie! But be an Angel and you read them first to let me know which are good.

Hey! Since no one else is showing up to my little topic here, you and I can discuss something privately. Laughing Wink

Iíve started that (secret) book that you and I discussed. My, my, my, is it a real page-turner! Iím going to be ready to discuss it pretty soon. I only just this sec did a Frihost search and I see that a number of topics already address it to some extent. Iím not going to browse/read them until I finish the book, myself.

Without revealing anything of title or content, are they addressing your particular interests in the book?

Anyway, Iíll be seeing you over there one day soon. Very Happy

ummm...the author of the book? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Ever read read anything by Von Lustbader? May give you better understanding.
Vrythramax
No, Dan Brown's book did not disclose any secrets of life to me. It simply touched on questions that no one can possibly hope to answer.

The question of some of the points touched on in the book I am more than willing to discuss with any person....but there can really be no end to the debate.

Dan Brown is indeed a good author, and his latest is/was very entertaining, but it was indeed a work of fiction.

Many questions were raised in my mind which I will address elsewhere (m'lady), but overall, it answered nothing and for all the hype it generated was a dude.

Can't imagine the movie will be much better.

Sue me.
The Philosopher Princess
Thanks for the additional info. I checked out descriptions of the books you mentioned and they do look interesting. No, I donít know of Von Lustbader either. I will read more of Brown eventually, too.

I donít like spoilers either. To read a book, watch a movie, etc., I try to only find out enough to know if I want to read/watch it. Once Iíve decided I do, I purposefully ignore anything that might give anything away.

I didnít realize you werenít finished with Cicod Et He Dav In yet, so letís wait to discuss the content. Then weíll go over to a thread thatís already started. I guess Iíll have to check them out, myself. Later! Very Happy