FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with mysql

Matte52
I had just move from an other webhost there i had all my sql databases and everything and now i want to move the site, mysql and verything to this webhost without lost anything. I have taken an backup both in the website ( i use php fusion) and in phpmyadmin, and i have now got the file. But when I try to load it up on my phpadmin in this webhosting (frihost) phpmyadmin just says this: #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' at line 9. Anyone know why this happend and how i can move without lose anyting

BTW: before i used AwardSpace and they were the worst webhost i everr had tryd!

// Matte52
Atomo64
This is caused because you are trying to import an SQL file that makes use of charsets... which are the versions 4.1 or 5.1 of MySQL; You can prevent this from happening doing this:
Go to your old hosting and open phpmyadmin... do everything as you did before when you exported the DB, but choose MYSQL40 in the SQL export compatibility: field (image):

--------

But if after importing the DB any of your script doesn't work well, try to check their settings to make sure to use the MySQL 4 compatibility... but if they don't have... then you might have to move to an other hosting (personally I recommend you puffinhost.com, which is very similar to frihost, but it has PHP4 and PHP5 and MySQL 4.1 ... but it doesn't give you that much bandwidth... nor disk space)
Matte52
Okey i tryd that you said first but it didnt work. I also tryd to export an databse that i have on this webhost and then insert it in an new databse also in this host but that didnt work either...
Atomo64
that's very strange... maybe if you tell me the settings you are using in order to export the data I could help you Smile
Matte52
okey i have taken some screenshots i here is every thing from step 1 to step 3 see if you can find something strange with this.

Here is the settings i use when i export the file.

Here is the file i get when i have export everything.

And here is the error i get when i try to upload the file in the new webhost.

I hope you will fins the problem
AftershockVibe
Oh... I remember having a silly error like this when I backed up my last MySQL database between different versions.

I never found out why it happenned but to correct it I "find and replaced" all the information to do with Character Sets. I think I just removed the information but I may have changed it to the most basic set possible (latin1?).
Matte52
Okey, but how do I chnage from latin1 to something els because the error messenger says that it is latin1 or something it is wrong on..

sorry for my bad english..
mathiaus
Can you not just create the database again and just import the tables? Otherwise try just deleting all "default character set" & "collate" from the sql file
Rhysige
I suggest you just use a search & replace for the things that is bugs on, search for the errors and replace with a blank space. I had the same problem that fixed it.
akshar
why do people use mysql? mysql is not meant for storing huge amount of data it is efficient only when the data is in small quantities. I screwed up one project my choosing this database. Only good thing about it is Simplicity and its free.
Matte52
Rhysige: How do i search the code or the sql filen then ? Plese tell how to do this, you know i'am a n00b on this ^^ Very Happy
Atomo64
akshar wrote:
why do people use mysql? mysql is not meant for storing huge amount of data it is efficient only when the data is in small quantities. I screwed up one project my choosing this database. Only good thing about it is Simplicity and its free.

I don't think that you need to shout... and I don't you what you did, but MySQL is one of the best database servers that exists, I even know about a website which database is over 410MB (I don't remember if it was compressed or not...), and it works on MySQL and the site is perfect!
AftershockVibe
MySQL is perfectly fine for average web use. You're right that it's not good for large quantities of data but the definition of "large" in this case is for huge companies who have Terrabyte databases!
Matte52
okey that does still not fix the problem.. Someone know what to do, and how to search the code for problems? I know when i have done that I should repalace the erors with a blank space... SO please someone know ? My msn is: Matte521@hotmail.com if you know what the problem is and how to fix it then add msn;)

// Matte
Atomo64
AftershockVibe wrote:
MySQL is perfectly fine for average web use. You're right that it's not good for large quantities of data but the definition of "large" in this case is for huge companies who have Terrabyte databases!

well... for TB databases you better should use a grid system for different servers to manage the queries... and the performance also depends on the indexes that you add
Matte52
Okey , and where do i find a "grid system" ? i have search on google but i didnt find anything.

Sorry if i ask to much but you know i'am an n00b on mysql Very Happy