FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Emo





Yantaal
now i might be getting this wrong, or i might be correct and there is an awfull lot of morons of out there. when i think of lets say hawthorn hights, fall out boy, MCR, i think of Emo, not PUNK, can people either prove me wrong and tell me it is punk and i have been a fool, or stop calling them punk, it is an insult tp bands like The Ramones, Rancid.

Also bands likes greeenday, BEst punk band ever!? WTF? not ****** true, most typical pop rock band ever. god people annoy me
Crackster
What really annoys me i when people go arrounf called people goths etc, and they have no idea what they are on about
Insanity
Didn't Green Day used to be considered punk, back before they went uber mainstream with their American Idiot album?
Yantaal
there was a time when Greenday were the cheese on the toast, the bees knees. I admit to owning there albums, but then, they went, gay, or maybe i just grew up and and grew out of there genre. Still thinking i like there old stuff, just coz i liked it when i was younger.

I dont think they ever used to be punk, maybe, but more punk rock, pop punkmaybe? then as you said, they sold out and are now not the cheese on the toast, the cheese has fallen of and the bee stung itsself, they suck and do not even deserve to be called punk.

and in responce to the goth thing, i totally agree, i have long curly blonde hair, i was compfy fitting blue jeans, and like, hippy style shirts, i get called a goth for dressing thus, it makes you think, why is thta moron with a hood up over his shitty baseball cap, with gell in is 3 mm long hair, gold necklase and earing, with his 12yrold gf calling me a goth?
limeadmin
Well see i;m not such a big fan of punk rock well i was but now i'm all gangster..My favert punk band would be slipknot.And i hate Emo kid, i dont see y they cry them self to sleep and then cut them self for fun and joy i know a emo kid and last time she cut her self she as most died, and she cut herself becouse her boyfriend dumpd her.And them she tryd to get hit by a car and she keeps on re asking him back out bc she doesnt want to bc calld a slut for the rest of her life..But anyways best kid of music is Ganger like Akon 50 g-unit 2pac(respec 4 life) and Any good thug.Its the best kind of music bc its a skill they have by rhyming all the words unlike greenday when they get people to write the songs for them and yelling into the mic.And my last words are If u ever wanna become emo dont just kill yourself its pronly easyer then going though all the pain of cuting your self.!!peace out
varoskater
wtf!!! are you just writing to get dome points!?? that was freakin meaningless... by the way, i do not like emotional music.
blackheart
limeadmin wrote:
Well see i;m not such a big fan of punk rock well i was but now i'm all gangster..My favert punk band would be slipknot.


Slipknot isn't punk.
Kur0
I totally agree with Yantaal on the Greenday thing, I too used to listen to their music back before they sold out. Now, to put it bluntly, they just suck. I also think that Emo music is a disgrace to humanity.

As for the goth thing, i too think that people are very stereotypical on stuff like that, the term i thrown around loosely and used on anyone who does dress like the majority of people.
blackheart
Oh, and Emo doesn't exist anymore.

It died at the end of the eighties, and more recently some moron on TV told everyone it just means "emotional", and all these kids run around calling themselves Emo, or rather have been labelled Emo, and a second disgustingly pathetic interpretation of the genre was born.
Konfunderad
blackheart wrote:
Oh, and Emo doesn't exist anymore.

It died at the end of the eighties, and more recently some moron on TV told everyone it just means "emotional", and all these kids run around calling themselves Emo, or rather have been labelled Emo, and a second disgustingly pathetic interpretation of the genre was born.


I totally agree with you. There might be some emobands left, but that have to be some garagebands somewhere.

And emomusic back in the 80s was not just "emotional crap", it was a big hardcore subgenre that developed in D.C.

And to call bands like Hawthorn Hights emo is an insult to emobands like Samian and Rites of Spring.
Blaster
blackheart wrote:
Oh, and Emo doesn't exist anymore.

It died at the end of the eighties, and more recently some moron on TV told everyone it just means "emotional", and all these kids run around calling themselves Emo, or rather have been labelled Emo, and a second disgustingly pathetic interpretation of the genre was born.


Thank you for saying that. See what one thing can start. So like was the real emo like more of hard core metel bands i guess? Never lived in the 80's so i just want to know.
blackheart
Blaster wrote:
blackheart wrote:
Oh, and Emo doesn't exist anymore.

It died at the end of the eighties, and more recently some moron on TV told everyone it just means "emotional", and all these kids run around calling themselves Emo, or rather have been labelled Emo, and a second disgustingly pathetic interpretation of the genre was born.


Thank you for saying that. See what one thing can start. So like was the real emo like more of hard core metel bands i guess? Never lived in the 80's so i just want to know.


I wasn't even born in the eighties... lmao I turned 15 last week.
But kind of... more hardcore than metal.
Konfunderad
It's (or was) way more hardcore than metal, it developed from hardcore.
Lorelay
WTF? Emo is dead? So you guys think MCR is what? Punk Rock?
Maby I don't understand it, but pls tell me, Is Emo and Punk Rock the same styles or what?
molif
wahaha..

i don care..

wat's nice to hear, i will hear.. wat's sucks to hear, well.. i'll skip it..
jds10912
i'd just like to put my 2 cents into the discussion on the genre
yes, as blackheart said, emo is a hardcore subgenre that developed in DC back in the 80s. emo really means EMOtively charged hardcore punk rock.
bands like MCR and fall out boy are not emo by any means, except for them really being "Mall Emo," that is what mainstream audience considers to be emo. nothing about FOB is emotvely charged, hardcore, or punk. any band that comes out of the indie scene is considered emo automatically. when emo started, it was just a band, a group of best friends, pouring their hearts into their songs, their riffs, and their screams. how did a group of guys screaming at a microphone turn into a single guy with an acoustic guitar? my only guess is via the band Brand New, a relatively mainstream band with acoustics and screaming. this however doesnt fit completely, with Brand New only getting signed in 2001? so they werent an incredible influence in the genre. so really, i am not entirely sure that they were the connection. also, they cant even be considered emo, because they are mainstream. hardcore punk is not mainstream. not now, not in the 80s. never has been and never will. the "emo" of today is nothing like what real emo is. the closest thing to emo today is probably post-hardcore, or also metalcore. the emo isnt a single emotion, it could be any emotion that is being expressed, be it anger, jealousy, love, depression, etc. it is not neccesarily all about being dumped by a gf and cutting yourself afterwards.
so all you people who hate emo, learn what exactly it is that you are hating.


[/rant]
mgumn
try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

has it all...

People say emo is dead, but i disagree, just because it is far removed from origonal emo doesnt mean it isnt emo, genres evolve etc

MCR and P!ATD and FOB probs arent emo, they are just a new wave of pop-punk, in my opinion anyway, but it's good to listen too when your are hungover so wat the hell?

i usually call it emo if emo kids listen too it, as modern ("mall-emo" is that what its called) is really just a fashion trend rather than a musical movement, i would say i'm EMO, but then at 20yrs im probs a bit old but i listen to everything from radiohead, the arcade fire, dropkick murpheys, P!ATD, Taking back Sunday, Brand New, Alexisonfire and avenged sevenfold.

Quote:
how did a group of guys screaming at a microphone turn into a single guy with an acoustic guitar?


you talking about dashboard, i hate that idiot, it was probably, like i said, the record company bigwigs that pushed the image and emo kids listened too it, so it was sucked into a genre.

Sunnny Day Real Estate Shows the change pretty well, and it's pretty good...
GProject
Insanity wrote:
Didn't Green Day used to be considered punk, back before they went uber mainstream with their American Idiot album?

Was American Idiot really any more mainstream though? No, it just got picked up in the public conciousness (mainly because of the catchy title track). Selling does not equal selling out.

Kur0 wrote:
I totally agree with Yantaal on the Greenday thing, I too used to listen to their music back before they sold out. Now, to put it bluntly, they just suck.


But has their music really changed that much? No - so how can you now hate what you used to love. Popularity is more about labelling bands than it is about the actual music. The Warning album was a departure for them - and people mostly hated that. It's practically impossible to be cool and popular in the music scene because as soon as you start really breaking through you are called a sell out.
AlkiRecords
I think its safe to say that sell outs and emos are taking over. I find it quite annoying when your favorite band just dumps the very characteristics that make them your favorite band...its rediculous...what because your label tells you too? or are you too good for it now? lol as for emos...what the hell is going on with these guys? I cant stand those guys that wear GIRL pants...wtf? weirdos. I'll admit some of the music is good...but cutting yourself? crying for no reason? what the heck man...they make drugs for that kind of stuff!
mgumn
AlkiRecords i wear tight trousers, but they are made for guys, wake up prick its a fashion and things change... if you look at alot of the early punk idols they wore, you guessed it tight trousers...but hey they got shat on for doing it, alot of people would walk around looking for punks to beat up...things never change
Anticollie
mgumn wrote:
AlkiRecords i wear tight trousers, but they are made for guys, wake up prick its a fashion and things change... if you look at alot of the early punk idols they wore, you guessed it tight trousers...but hey they got shat on for doing it, alot of people would walk around looking for punks to beat up...things never change


1: I like not waking up an hour earlier than normal to squeeze into the sausage wrappers that emo's call pants.

2: When I come home from a long day at work, and I want to make the birds and the bees hum, i would rather not be sterile from the fact that I basically had to remove my downstairs so I could wear them. I remember a while ago i saw some kid slap an emo down there, and the kid keeled over in pain. I mean, I am fully aware that they take everything really serious and such, but I mean this was true pain, I felt bad, (sorta).

3: if I were to ever lay a hand on an emo, or scene-boy, or whatever they want to be called that day, it wouldn't be because of his sausage wrapper pants, or his badly-executed hair job, it would be because I recieve a lecture from one everytime I attempt to... say... cut my grass. I am open to comments and the like about how I choose to live and work, however, the last thing I need is a kid who's "whats-its" are being pressed to his legs so hard that his voice hops up three octaves, so that he sounds like a 7 year-old, to tell me that killing my blades of grass is mean, or I should only drink organic juice, because the rest is fermented with the tears of hitler. use your imagination, anything that can be whined aobut, is whined about, and I ahve 3 neighbors who happen to be passengers on this emo-fad train, life is hell sometimes.

Listen, you are welcome to say "it's a fashion" and you are more than welcome to squeeze into your tiny little stockings made form blue-jean material, but do not expect a warm welcome from people going "oh, you mean punks did it way back when? Well, then it's okay!" the female fashion closly represents that of this new "emo" fashion, and I say new, because it was gone for a little while. I suppose my point is, if one wears their man-girl jeans so they look hot, more power to you. Just be careful you don't eat one too many pieces of bacon and have all the seams rip on you one day while your bending down. The male structure is large, and much more heavy set than that of a womans, and the jeans you have so cleverly labeled as "made for guys," well, lets just say they don't leave much (anything) to the imagination. At all.

Plus, a majority of the people who do infact wear this "emo style" are... you guessed it, emos, or scenes, or whatever excuse they have to wear what they're wearing, and cry about what they happen to dislike that day. if you happen to just feel like dressing like that, like I said, I am not holding you back, but i wouldn't consider it a "fashion" really when only 1/70-80 kids are actually wearing them, and even then, they usually hide from the polls, because that would be conforming. And that's not cool. Right?

Anticollie.

PS: This was really just written for the sake of arguement. nothing I say should be taken entirly literal, while I am predisposed to believe that pants and clothing stlyes portraied by that of an "emo" is incredibly feminine, it does not mean that I would be predisposed to be mean to said individual.
panacuba
Die Punkers Twisted Evil
shinnoyami
I completely agree tha Emo died in the 80s/90s. and that our current deffinition of 'emo' (girl clothes, cutting themselves, crying.. ect) is false. These scenesters, the ones who wear all the feminine clothes and has the shiny hair, are just following trends.

And Emo actually Stands for emotionally charged hardcore punk Thus a person can not be called 'emo'.

further explanation here

I don't think that this debate should even exsist. I can't believe that we still live in a world with extreme prejudices. It's just sad that this kind of thing still exists.

people are people (the same deep down) no matter what type of music they listen to or what trends they follow.
snowboardalliance
I'm totally against "emo people" who cut themselves and the guys who wear girls pants, but I do listen to some music that is sort of considered "emo" like Thursday. But I think thursday makes good music, and they are really more punk, just have like sad songs. But I do hate bands like Fall out boy, and panic at the disco, just because they all the sound the same and they are just "popular" crap.

About green day, their old stuff was alright, but yeah, American Idiot was definatley a huge sellout point, though they were probably heading in that direction before. I never was a fan, just thought some songs were good.

And I used to sort of like MCR when no one knew them, then they became sell outs and never tried to do anything new.
blackheart
Emo doesn't exist:

(EXPLANATION HERE)


It doesn't really matter if there are "terrible" bands out there, because you aren't obliged to listen to them.
It does get up my goat when bands I like are mis-labelled (Bikini Kill, Rancid, NOFX, Op. Ivy, X-ray Spex, Dropkicks, etc), but the main issue I have there is labelling in the first place, and the idea behind said labels.

I don't want people's thought process to be:
"Punk" = "Black Clothing, Stripes and Side-Fringes" = "Depression" = "Slitting Wrists"

But is doesn't really bother me if other people listen to PANIC! and Blink and AI Greenday and Deathcab and what-ever else.

I hope that made some sense,
essentialmedia
Insanity wrote:
Didn't Green Day used to be considered punk, back before they went uber mainstream with their American Idiot album?


Green Day was at one time punk and really good at it, but they are completely mainstream now. Most bands that see commercial success completely give up their roots to get there. The "AFI" you hear on the radio now is NOT AFI, Green Day is not Green Day, Metallica hasn't been Metallica since And Justice For All, and so on and so on. Hell look at From First to Last they went from a decent band to a cheap MCR cover band.
blackheart
@ essentialmedia

Greenday did have a purpose in selling out. -Apparently- they released AI so that it would go mainstream and take their message to the masses. Rather than to make money.

How much I buy into that, I don't know.

No pun intended.
spaz-o
Emo is the sex.

Emo is a sub-genre of punk, so technically it is punk. But most people don't associate emo with punk.

Someone above posted a really good link explaining emo.
blackheart
spaz-o wrote:
Emo is the sex.

Emo is a sub-genre of punk, so technically it is punk. But most people don't associate emo with punk.

Someone above posted a really good link explaining emo.


Emo could be considered a similar genre to punk, how-ever no more similar than metal... if that makes sense.

It's a subgenre of hardcore. I can't stress it enough. Hardcore.

"Punk", in fact, could be seen more mainstream than genuine emotive hardcore groups, as a collective genre. I don't think genuine emo was ever brought to the masses. (as was the Sex Pistols sole purpose in their existence)
And you won't hear me saying that about punk in relation to anything else very often. Cool
spaz-o
^^ My bad. Hardcore.

I'm still not that good at the genres and sub-genres, but I get and agree with what you said about punk being more mainstream. I think it's because the term 'punk' is associated with being cool, and people want to be cool, and thus has made it's way into mainstream. If that made sense to you guys.
Marston
I think Husker Du was (technically) the first emo band.
Quote:
Perhaps Hüsker Dü's most lasting legacy was in bridging the gap between hardcore and alternative rock. Also, many people credit Zen Arcade to be the first form of emo, even before Embrace and Rites of Spring. Many later musicians cite Hüsker Dü as an influence on their own work.
Originally, Husker Du was a hardcore punk band (hardcore being a sub genre of punk).


So, really, Emo is a sub-sub genre of punk music.
fireydeviant
limeadmin wrote:
Well see i;m not such a big fan of punk rock well i was but now i'm all gangster..My favert punk band would be slipknot.And i hate Emo kid, i dont see y they cry them self to sleep and then cut them self for fun and joy i know a emo kid and last time she cut her self she as most died, and she cut herself becouse her boyfriend dumpd her.And them she tryd to get hit by a car and she keeps on re asking him back out bc she doesnt want to bc calld a slut for the rest of her life..But anyways best kid of music is Ganger like Akon 50 g-unit 2pac(respec 4 life) and Any good thug.Its the best kind of music bc its a skill they have by rhyming all the words unlike greenday when they get people to write the songs for them and yelling into the mic.And my last words are If u ever wanna become emo dont just kill yourself its pronly easyer then going though all the pain of cuting your self.!!peace out


Many people can rhyme. They do it all the time. I think it is a crime, and that you should die.

Ok, that was bad. But it proves the point. Alot of bands write their own songs. Note that I said bands, and not pop singers. Screams/Growls aren't the most skillful of lyrical talents, I admit, but, hey guess what? there is more than the singer in music. Without music, singing is just singing. I doubt all rappers right their own songs.

Also, you say the "best" kind of music is rap(which is what I infer for the list of rap groups you gave). Is it the best, or your favorite? Might it have occured to you that maybe people don't like rap? Might it also have occured to you that maybe you shouldn't post in a topic about Emo/Punk when the only thing you have to say is that it sucks and rap is better?

...
Aalia
Firs of all Emo - is the music style, not clothing, not boys make-up, no, it's all about the music and how the artist is giving to you his feelings of love, hate, pain and other.
I can't say I'm emo, but I took a lot out this culture.

And why do you hate Emo? I realy can't understand it! Why?
Yeah, there a lots of posers thet make all to the public, they cut there veins and stuff. But, it's there head and they can do what they want. They not killing anybody but themself.

And all this Emo haters in my country (Ukraine)., they are looking for Emo and killing them!
And thet sucks...
jayrelle
Nice topic! Its good to know about this..its a new added information to me..I really don't care about what really emo is, all I know is that emo is a genre not a fashion style! I really hate it when people walk off the streets and then they are somewhat proud because of their "emo looks!" duh? Twisted Evil
engeland
mgumn wrote:
try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

has it all...

People say emo is dead, but i disagree, just because it is far removed from origonal emo doesnt mean it isnt emo, genres evolve etc

MCR and P!ATD and FOB probs arent emo, they are just a new wave of pop-punk, in my opinion anyway, but it's good to listen too when your are hungover so wat the hell?

i usually call it emo if emo kids listen too it, as modern ("mall-emo" is that what its called) is really just a fashion trend rather than a musical movement, i would say i'm EMO, but then at 20yrs im probs a bit old but i listen to everything from radiohead, the arcade fire, dropkick murpheys, P!ATD, Taking back Sunday, Brand New, Alexisonfire and avenged sevenfold.


i guess you cleared out alot of info for me. I was having difficulty understandin what emo really is. whether a confusion from punk or goth
pieman
Why does anyone even need to classify music by genre? If I hear a good band, or a good song, and I like it I will listen to it - whether it's 'emo' or 'punk' or 'metal' or 'pop' or 'ska' or whatever other names people want to come up with for one thing - music.

Personally my favourite bands at the minute are Fall Out Boy, Simple Plan, My Favorite Episode, Boys Like Girls, The Feeling and Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.

As for 'emo' people, it's a name that people have created to describe the way someone dresses/lives their life - but no-one can actually give a definition, and there are certainly no two definitions that are the same. And you could say that about any 'genre' of person.

We are all human beings at the end of the day who make our own individual choices (though often heavily influenced by those around us) about music and clothing and lifestyle, and no two people are the same. Call someone by their name, not what they look/act like!
Sickness
Some people think emo is a gay genre... I think so Cool
deStructuralized
Emo is, like, totally retarded music. The lyrics don't even make any sense. It's just a bunch of whiny kids crying about how they want to kill themselves. I'd hate to imagine what kind of an influence this noise is having on our nation's youth. It's repetitive and not even musical.

[End satirical impersonation of rap critics]

I don't agree with the kid who said rap's better than rock...but I do prefer rap over rock. But it brings up an interesting point about what makes someone's criticism of music valid or ignorant.

I think emo's irritating. But it seems like a lot of people in here understand the history of the genre and feel that there's something significant in the music beyond what people superficially gloss over on the radio. That doesn't change my opinion about the music or motivate me to listen to it more...but it gives me a reason to treat the genre and those who have their reasons for listening to it with a little bit of respect. Hope people can do the same in rap threads from now on.

Carry on.
Aalia
Sickness wrote:
Some people think emo is a gay genre... I think so Cool

Realy???
Aalia
Well, my friend wrote a little something like a song about "tru" emo)))-

Thanx God I'm not with "tru" emo
Thanx God I can not do screamo
Don't wanna be one more misstake
Don't wanna be one more with fake


So baby, did you cut ur veins?
Or you better will smash ur brains?
And you realy think it's so cool...
But I think ur another "tru" fool!


Thanx God I'm not with "tru" emo
Thanx God I can not do screamo
Don't wanna be one more misstake
Don't wanna be one more with fake
Bancan
is MCR emo.??
tony
Yantaal wrote:
there was a time when Greenday were the cheese on the toast, the bees knees. I admit to owning there albums, but then, they went, gay, or maybe i just grew up and and grew out of there genre.


haha - no you were right the first time - hehe. ya - what is up with that anyway?
Related topics
Which team will win in NBA Final?
This is me
emo/screa? the used, coheed and cambria, my chemical romance
Cliche? Perhaps. Emo Music. What do you think?
Emo music.. Suggestions?
Hopelessly Emo
another emo/scene joke
Punk,skinhead,emo jokes
Are You Fed Up of People Saying They're Emo?
Emo does not exist.
ancient names of emo names?
<<Emo>>
non emo orwell
To recognise Emo bands
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Music

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.