FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FAT32 or NTFS?

hack_man_
My hard drive is 40GB and is patitioned into two partioions. C: which is 3/4 of the drive and D: which is the remaining 1/4.

They are both FAT32 volumes but I want to convert them to NTFS, is this a good idea?

Should I backup all my documents?

Would my Acer Recovery disks work? (they have never worked first, second, third time or even fourth time in the past but they normally decide to try installing Windows after the fifth attempt)

I hear NTFS makes your hard drive faster... and that it saves disk space... and many other things that might or might not be true... are they true?
Clash
First of all is your OS, an NTFS one? If you have Win98 forget it.

Secondly NTFS is more secure, faster, and may be a little better for storage, as it is not restricted to the cluster size issue that Fat 32 is.

As for your recovery disks, what do you think???

If you have winxp you can convert to NTFS without reinstaling, open a command prompt and type: convert <drive letter>: /FS:NTFS

for your C drive this would be: convert c: /fs:ntfs
Nyizsa
Yes, NTFS has a lot of andvantages. You can set permissions to files and folders (in a bit stupid manner, I think), in addition to the ones mentioned in the post above.
I think your recovery disks won't work, but you may be able to create new ones for the NTFS filesystem. If you have (or plan to install) Linux or other OS, keep in mind that they don't support writing to NTFS volumes, while FAT32 is widely supported. So, think about it and do as you decide.

And yes, backing up data before messing with the filesystem is highly advisable!
ChargerBear
If it were me, I'd change your C drive to NTFS and leave your D drive FAT 32. You might decide to mess around with Linux or another OS that doesn't support NTFS at a later time. I'm guessing we're talking about Windows XP here. NTFS also works well with NT and windows 2000. There's plenty of room on your D drive for Linux.
Helios
Ext3 Laughing

no, i'm j/k.

If (you're using windows [xp(or later)]){ use NTFS
}else(lower versions){ use FAT32 }; Wink
Urahara
If he's running 2 Operating Systems, like 98/ME and 2000/XP/+, it might not be a bad idea to use FAT32, if lots of file moving are involved. I don't think NTFS makes the system any faster? I couldn't notice any different between XP + NTFS from XP + FAT32 myself.
otiscom
The only reason for keeping fat32 is a mixed os like 98 / xp or something.

Otherwise go to ntfs.
hack_man_
Can you have one drive NTFS and one drive FAT32? They are partitions of the same physical drive...
Nyizsa
hack_man_ wrote:
Can you have one drive NTFS and one drive FAT32? They are partitions of the same physical drive...

Yes, you can. And even more. Every partition can be formatted using a different filesystem. That's why you can install WinXP and Linux (ext3fs) on the same hard drive.
Clash
hack_man wrote:

Nyizsa wrote:
Yes, you can. And even more. Every partition can be formatted using a different filesystem. That's why you can install WinXP and Linux (ext3fs) on the same hard drive

Only one thing to remember when working with multiple partitions. Some of the OS's will not be able to read the other's partition. Win98 cannot read NTFS partitions although NTFS can read FAT32 and FAT16.

Hence the advice to format all as FAT32 if you want to access files all the time.
**Timbuk2**
I recomend NTFS

You see you can do a lot of things with NTFS that you can't do with FAT32, such as password protect files and folders.

But the type of filesystem won't affect the speed. Neither of them is faster than the other
Clash
**Timbuk2** wrote:
I recomend NTFS
But the type of filesystem won't affect the speed. Neither of them is faster than the other

In reality it does. These are the reasons why NTFS may be faster

- smaller RAM footprint as avoids large FAT held in RAM
- indexed design more efficient for many files per directory
- small file data embedded in dir level, avoids seek to data chain
- above factors make fragmentation less onerous than for FATxx
- 4k cluster size matches processor's natural paging size

It can also be slower because of the extra overhead of security checks, compression, encryption and small clusters may fragment data cluster chains. But as some of these are optional, in most 'real world' scenarios it is faster.

The main advantage though is the support for larger volumes and larger file sizes.
hack_man_
I have decided to go ahead with it... The recovery disks are 2 years old and the warranty expired 6 months ago...

Should I backup the data on both C: and D: if I am only covnverting drive C? (I am converting both but I just want to know)
Clash
Are you running Win XP?. if you are, you can convert using the convert command, and no real need to back up your data, but then there is always a need to back up your data in case of catastrophe.

A power failure during convert would be a catastrophe Shocked

If you are not running XP, then you should back up as the process is entirely different. Also make sure you have enough free space on your drives.
x-stream
If i were you, I would save your files.
Everything can go wrong, even the most simple things. You should also try to use a professional converter, but DOS maybe works too...
These Pro Tools are very expensive...
In my PC I use the following:
FAT32 for Storage only
and NTFS for my WinXP Pro
hack_man_
How do you think I should back it up?

1. Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard'

2. Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' but adding the 'Program Files' folder to the list

3. Backup the entire drive (without using a DVD writer)

4. Backup the entire 30GB drive using 3½" floppies (joke)

If option 3, how? I have another PC on my wireless network, but it is cramped for space like mine.
Nyizsa
I don't think it is neccesary to back up your entire drive. At least it is not needed to back up applications you can easily reinstall. Just write those install files on a CD (and be a proud owner of an emegrency application-recovery backup Cool ), then your data files (documents, pictures, savegames, etc.) on an (or some) other(s). Then launch the conversion, and (hopefully) put the CDs in the bottom of the drawer. Wink
matrix07
NTFS file system has more stability,security,and less fragmentation.
To convert FAT32 file system to NTFS you have to go to command promt
and type in "convert C: /FS:NTFS" with C: being the drive you wish to convert
.Make sure dat der's space between "C:" and forward slash.Once you press
[ENTER],it will ask you for a confirmation;den press [Y];den press[Y] and press[ENTER] once more to reboot.this works for all versions of WIN XP!!!
Clash
matrix07 wrote:
NTFS file system has more stability,security,and less fragmentation.
To convert FAT32 file system to NTFS you have to go to command promt
and type in "convert C: /FS:NTFS" with C: being the drive you wish to convert
.Make sure dat der's space between "C:" and forward slash.Once you press
[ENTER],it will ask you for a confirmation;den press [Y];den press[Y] and press[ENTER] once more to reboot.this works for all versions of WIN XP!!!

Did you read this thread?

I posted exactly this instruction in reply to the first poster. To save your little mouse from all that tiring scrolling here's the quote:
Clash wrote:
you can convert to NTFS without reinstaling, open a command prompt and type: convert <drive letter>: /FS:NTFS

for your C drive this would be: convert c: /fs:ntfs

I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but my post was on the same page as yours FFS
prettygood
i dont think that it ll be faster but i can say that it is more secure for windows XP
if u are using XP of course NTFS! no doubt
it is not saving disc space (fat --> fat32 saves disc space ...Win9x)
and u must back up your documents because i think u r gonna format ur hdd to change file system
DONT FORGET! NTFS is for winXP/2000/NT not for win 9x or linux (linux still cannot write to ntfs partition just reading)
Clash
prettygood wrote:
it is not saving disc space (fat --> fat32 saves disc space ...Win9x)
You save disk space due to smaller cluster size in NTFS
Quote:
and u must back up your documents because i think u r gonna format ur hdd to change file system
you don't need to format to convert your partition, did you not read the two posts earlier about the convert command?