FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"The internet has an adverse effect on English"

Piggie
We often argue about the way the internet effects our communication skills here at Real Life. Many a foolish newbie has sought to use "u" instead of "you", "2" instead of "to" only to have the grammatically correct denizens of Real Life maul them like a school of piranhas. Oddly enough, I just got an assignment entitled "The increased use of text messaging, instant messaging and on-line chat rooms is having an adverse effect on the way we communicate", figured I'd put it forward to you guys. So go ahead, add your thoughts and any interesting articles on the subject.

found this artilcle somewhere, so what do you guys think?
TheFaction
it definetely makes sense, however it doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. I know for one when writing a paper the only thing i tend to shorten is "because" with "b/c" or "with" with "w/". but other than that i dont find myself having trouble discerning real life grammar and online grammar.

its just more convinient to say "g2g" rather than "got to go" or "brb" as opposed to "be right back". its just a matter of getting your thought across as quick as possible. also with shortened phrases like "lol" you can get your emotion across in a timely manner as well.

i do see where the article makes sense but it doesn't necessarily affect everyone who uses the internet,text messaging, etc.
meet in rio
If anything, the internet has made me more articulate (on paper).

I don't know if it's just because I'm growing up or reading more, but my written communication is now, stylistically, far better that it ever was.
coolclay
Wow, the laziness of some people just amazes me to no end. I mean it takes less then a second to write "be right back", instead of "brb". Come on, there is no logical reason why people can't write a few words instead of some stupid letters. I think eventually it will creep into everyday writing, and its just stupid, but thats just my opinion so who cares.
thiamshui
well, it is not a problem if ppl can easily switch between standard english and short-formed netizen language.. i do not hav a problem wif switching between both of them though.. true, there are ppl hu tend to use short forms even in their essays and exams but i guess this is just one of the many cons about technology.. indeed, technology can benefit us, but it also can harm, just like a double-edged sword..
Garnet
I'm thinking the people who use the slang and abbreviations on things like school papers are likely to have problems anyway. It doesn't take much to edit your paper before you hand it in. The same applies to basically all written work. As long as people notice the difference I think it is probably harmless.
Nyizsa
I find it a serious problem. Being non-native English speaker, I often just don't understand what someone wants to say. Remember: it may be obvious for you, but not for everyone in the world!
(By the way, what does lol mean?)
Gieter
LOL means Loughing Out Loud. Sometimes I see terrible things on the Internet, written by native speakers, while English is my third language! I guess it all depends on the person: I often use abbreviations, but not on forums or on websites, only on MSN Messenger. If I write a story or something, I try to use clean language. Other people don't see the necessity of being clear and writing without too much slang, and do this not only on the Internet, but also in school.

The thing that true for my generation (I experience this anyway), is that we have a harder time writing on paper. I'm so used to writing on a computer (where you can simply delete or insert phrases), that I find it hard to write on paper. I heard from someone in her twenties that she's used to write things first on paper before typing it in into Word. And I do the reverse. Maybe you should include that too in your research!
jaysen
Unfortunately its the way of the world...quicker is better...

What really amazes me is the fact that i see many people who use english as a second or third language often can spell better than many who use english as thier primary language (and i'm not just referring to my ex girlfriend either lol)
mOrpheuS
Piggie wrote:
The internet has an adverse effect on English

Look at the flip side -
the internet has given English such gems like "All your base are belong to us" !

So to anyone wanting to learn English, remember, internet - especially public forums should not be your primary source of knowledge.
Say, that doesn't apply to just English.

The need for one word sentences is understandable, though.
By the time you type out "laughing out loud" ... it may be too late.

Eg.,
Calvin : I plastered Susie with a snowball today.
Hobbes (starts typing "rolling on the floor laughing")
Calvin : and Moe kicked me in the face and I lost my lucky rocketship underpants too ... Crying or Very sad
Hobbes : Rolling on the floor laughing

Calvin hates Hobbes

and as we all know ... that is totally unacceptable. Razz
ladyrobina
Piggie wrote:
We often argue about the way the internet effects our communication skills here at Real Life. Many a foolish newbie has sought to use "u" instead of "you", "2" instead of "to" only to have the grammatically correct denizens of Real Life maul them like a school of piranhas. Oddly enough, I just got an assignment entitled "The increased use of text messaging, instant messaging and on-line chat rooms is having an adverse effect on the way we communicate", figured I'd put it forward to you guys. So go ahead, add your thoughts and any interesting articles on the subject.

found this artilcle somewhere, so what do you guys think?

People who have learnt "correct" English at school should not have any trouble switching between shorthand when texting or chatting, and longhand when doing schoolwork. The exceptions could be those for whom English is a second language and people who are dislexic. They may have problems

English is an evolving language however, and I am sure many of the text terms will eventually find their way into the dictionary through continued use, just as many slang terms have.
jveezy
mOrpheuS wrote:
Piggie wrote:

Eg.,
Calvin : I plastered Susie with a snowball today.
Hobbes (starts typing "rolling on the floor laughing")
Calvin : and Moe kicked me in the face and I lost my lucky rocketship underpants too ... Crying or Very sad
Hobbes : Rolling on the floor laughing

Calvin hates Hobbes

and as we all know ... that is totally unacceptable. Razz

Of course Hobbes could just type "Haha" to show that he's laughing. That's only one more letter than "lol" and it's gramatically correct.

The thing I hate about people typing "lol" is that they're usually not laughing out loud. They're probably smiling or maybe slightly chuckling but it's not like all out guffaw and everyone's staring at them. Nobody's really rolling in the floor laughing their ass off. Nobody rolls on the floor nowadays unless they're on fire.

All you have to do is say "haha". It's not that hard. Everyone will understand you, even if they don't speak English.

Now anyone that writes "lol" in a school paper needs to seriously consider a tutor.
{name here}
While in the mall, I see teens all over the place. I swear half of them use LOL in their everyday vocabulary. I think they've been one too many times on AIM... Rolling Eyes
xorcist
Piggie wrote:

It doesnt have any effect on me I still write the same and everything. I really never heard someone say "lol" or "lmao" in a conversation. I proberly heard it once or twice but I never saw someone write it on a paper or anything.
Vrythramax
I think that the Internet should not be blamed for some individuals who lack the capability to differenciate between real-life and text. I had the unfortunate pleasure of working as an IRC admin, and I just couldn't believe how upset some people got over simple text. If a person is dumb enough to use slang and/or Internet adages in a real-time situation...they should get raked over the coals.

What can I say....hookt on foniks werkt for me.
ocalhoun
jveezy wrote:
Nobody rolls on the floor nowadays unless they're on fire.

I did that just last week! What do you mean nobody does that anymore?
By the way, I was not on fire...
rightclickscott
I love saying stuff in real life using computer lingo. I constantly find myself saying stuff like omg or wtf for the fun of it, even though it actually is easier to say what the ******. I also like to do funny stuff where I say OMG Haxorz and actually saying lol, not l-o-l, saying lol as a whole word, or, better yet, lolzl. But in a serious conversation, I wouldn't do those kinds of things. It's just who I am.
Mgccl
to me, it's not a big deal because I really don't like to use shortened things except in math
Unmindful
Anywhere I am, I type with proper American English and grammar, no abbreviations.
Nameless
wht u giz torcing bout???? al teh txt onn teh nett mkes me inglees gr8!!!!!one!11!1eleventyone!!!11
Blaster
Yea but that makes more sences then other things. You and U can be read the same. Same with 2 and to. That is why the english language is to hard to understand.
yupeng
Yes,that's right,if people want to get some information from internet,he must know how to use english,at least some basic english words.
Daniel15
Unmindful wrote:
Anywhere I am, I type with proper American English and grammar, no abbreviations.

Yeah, I usually try to do the same thing, except with Australian English (almost the same as British English). I don't see what's so good about abbreviations if typing the whole word doesn't even take half a second. It's quite stupid Razz

Actually, because I'm used to typing the whole word, it takes me longer to type an abbreviation than to type the whole word!
Jack_Hammer
It certainly increased a high amount of acronyms.
ashok
Jack_Hammer wrote:
It certainly increased a high amount of acronyms.

yeah that cant be denied Smile

but we cant put the entire blame on internet.. it's the individual's perception of what words to use and how to use..
Bazza_Ballistic
People talk differently when they're talking to their boss, family or friends. We use registers appropriate to the situation.

I agree that it obscures meaning for the uninitiated (as I am myself). However the aim of communication is sometimes as much social as anything else. These registers, I suggest, are more about fitting in than saving keystrokes. That is, they are the colloquialisms of the Internet.

For those who don't like them they clearly don't reflect the "speech" of their "social group"

However, using these forms in essays and other inappropriate places is clearly a case of the wrong register for the situation.
Gieter
As I said before, it's not limited to the effects of the Internet on our language in chatrooms, forums, websites, etc. but also on paper.

Quote:
The thing that true for my generation (I experience this anyway), is that we have a harder time writing on paper. I'm so used to writing on a computer (where you can simply delete or insert phrases), that I find it hard to write on paper. I heard from someone in her twenties that she's used to write things first on paper before typing it in into Word.

Not only the persons who don't write clearly on the Internet are suffering from this, but also the ones who write correctly. Because of spell-checkers, we don't know anymore how to write correctly (well, we know, but we still make tiny mistakes), and because of the ease of word-processing software it's harder for us to write a good, structured text on paper. You can't 'delete' things on paper. So in that perspective I think the Internet has an adverse effect on our writing skills.
OutlawSpirit
i use 'u' instead of 'you' online and same with 'ur'...

but it doesnt change the way i write offline
xoxmeholly
The internet is not the sole cause of us using abbreviations. I have notes from 7th grade (9th grade now....) when us middle schoolers had not discovered msn messenger and all of those wonderful things, and abbreviations are in there. People are lazy, so it's much easier to write rotfl than "rolling on the floor laughing" or lol instead of "laugh out loud." It's going to happen anyways. When we're taking notes, making note cards, its much more convenient to write shorthand. It's just the division between those of us that know good English, and can distinguish between times for shorthand, and times for perfect grammar. It's just those few that change it: those who use "u" and "2" "ur" "r" "lol" in school papers and in places where there should be good grammar, that make everything seem like civilization is slowly declining back into cavemen. There will always be those who basically forget the English language and replace it with slang. It always happens...think back to days when people said "word." And it will always happen.
Blaster
spelling out "u" for a notecard makes you know learn it better. The human brain picks up on it more.
jveezy
ocalhoun wrote:
jveezy wrote:
Nobody rolls on the floor nowadays unless they're on fire.

I did that just last week! What do you mean nobody does that anymore?
By the way, I was not on fire...

Were you laughing?

If so, were you being tickled?

That's what I meant even though I didn't say it. Sorry about that. I meant while laughing. I'm sure some people actually do that but the majority of people that use rotflmao aren't doing that when they actually say it.
Blaster
I roll on the floor while laughing sometimes. Very Happy So why do you have a problem with that?
Vrythramax
I have to agree with Blaster here, I roll on the floor laughing my ass off sometimes just reading some of the "intelligent"posts here in these forums Wink

Just for the record..."Philosophy and Religion" is a hoot. Twisted Evil
jveezy
Blaster wrote:
I roll on the floor while laughing sometimes. Very Happy So why do you have a problem with that?

Look. I never had a problem with it. I just didn't think it was likely. I just didn't think a lot of people actually did it and then took the time to get back up and tell whoever they're talking to that they're rolling on the floor laughing. Like I said in my last post, I'm sure some people out there do it and you and xoxmeholly proved that. I don't have a problem with it at all. In fact, if everyone that typed "rotflmao" actually did it, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

All I'm saying is that if you're gonna type "rotflmao" because "rolling on the floor laughing my ass off" is too long for you to type, maybe you should check to see if you're really rolling on the floor laughing your ass off before you even bother typing the acronym. In your case, that would be a yes. And there's no problem with that.
Blaster
Its an expresion of showing how funny somthing is. We do it everyday with out relizing it because it is a way of life. Like i am starving. You are literaly not starving but very hungary. Or that was to die for. You literaly are not going to die for somthing like that. We use it all of the time and we have been for hundred of years.
jveezy
Okay. I'll buy that.

It just seems too much trouble for me to use a long figure of speech and acronymize it I guess.

I don't know. I guess I'm just a little too picky about it.
the_mariska
ladyrobina wrote:
People who have learnt "correct" English at school should not have any trouble switching between shorthand when texting or chatting, and longhand when doing schoolwork. The exceptions could be those for whom English is a second language and people who are dislexic. They may have problems

I've never had problems with correct writing neither in English nor Polsih which is my first language, but after spending too much time online reading some moron's post, I started making mistakes in the most basic words. I got really frightened when I noticed it Wink

I don't have anything against shorts like lol or brb, cause everyone knows what it means, and they hardly affect our 'real' spelling. To those who are against them, I remind that even 10 years ago writing don't instead of do not was considered as a mistake Wink

On the other hand, I hate showing of with writing with incorrect spelling: sum thin laik theez, u nou. It's good enough for 13 y.o. (I used to be a one and use that too), but as someone said it takes us back to the cave.

Ahhh, and nobody mentioned other type of writing, still popular on polish boards and called by us pokemon letters. tHiS mEAnS Th4t yOu wRiTe jUsT lIkE tHi5. Drives me really mad.
Nyizsa
the_mariska wrote:
tHiS mEAnS Th4t yOu wRiTe jUsT lIkE tHi5.

...and I don't believe they write like this to save time, and yes, it is really annoying. Evil or Very Mad
Gieter
Nyizsa wrote:
the_mariska wrote:
tHiS mEAnS Th4t yOu wRiTe jUsT lIkE tHi5.

...and I don't believe they write like this to save time, and yes, it is really annoying. Evil or Very Mad

Maybe it's because of a lack of rich vocabulary, they want to make their sentences look more special, and that's why they shift between capital and small letters.
geyikkutuphanesi
This is a problem for all languages. Not only English!
ainieas
You might witness the murder of english on the net everyday but you'll also have to admit that the internet has also helped the language stretch to a wider base. Idea
Garnet
Quote:
Ahhh, and nobody mentioned other type of writing, still popular on polish boards and called by us pokemon letters. tHiS mEAnS Th4t yOu wRiTe jUsT lIkE tHi5. Drives me really mad.

Very Happy Ah haha "pokemon letters" since it looks like the font used for the show? Never knew they have a name for it.

But yeah when I see "lol" or anything like it I just assume the person found it funny. I just don't like it much when a person does things like "4 U" unless it's on msn or a text message.
Blaster
ainieas wrote:
You might witness the murder of english on the net everyday but you'll also have to admit that the internet has also helped the language stretch to a wider base. Idea
Yea that is true. But when we talk like we are here if someone with little english nodlage saw something like "u" they wouldn't know what to think of it.
xkarenflowerx
i think it's somewhat true. . too much msn + less reading = forgetting words, and how to spell them.

although online dictionaries are very helpful ^.^ but there have been numerous times when i've actually said 'lol' out loud.

waay too much msn.
firebrandglass
I think people use "LOL" and the like because they believe it's cute. It helps them to feel secure and accepted in their peer group because everyone else is doing it.

"ROFL" obviously contradicts itself as, unless your keyboard is on the floor, it is impossible to type while rolling on the floor.

Emoticons bug me also. If you can't convey your emotion in text, you shouldn't participate in text based communities. If you're worried someone might mis-interpret the intonation of your post, well, they're just projecting and who cares? Let them think you're a grumpy-puss.
skygaia
It might be a serious problem in the future. And it is a problem not only English but also other language.
I'm from Korea. These days, many people are worrying about communication between adults and young people. Because young people, especially teenagers, would like to make new words. Usually they make a word shoten. sometimes, I could not understand what young people said.

early internet era, there was very slow to use internet , chat with someone. so peopole tended to shorten a word. it was very efficent at that time. but now, we have a great environment to use internet and chat with someone. Neverterless, people who frequently use internet like to make new word and shorten a word.

Now it is O.K. it is not serious yet. but as time goes on, it will be difficult for older and younger people to communite. it is a disaster.

Thanks
Gieter
xkarenflowerx wrote:

but there have been numerous times when i've actually said 'lol' out loud.

Someone in my class says that too, 'lol'. I sometimes say 'brb', just for fun. Maybe the acronym will become a regular word, and within twenty years, the youngsters then will not now what lol stands for. Wink
Vlien
I don't care about the abbreviations as long as people use them correctly. In Dutch we tend to use only three letters for the word "waarschijnlijk" (probably): they write "wss", which is wrong, 'cause waarschijnlijk doesn't even have two s'ses. I tried to motivate others into using "wsl", which could be the right abbreviation, by using that all the time. It's just so stupid. That's called hypercorrection. "Misschien" is abbreviated by "mss" so "waarschijnlijk" should be "wss"?? Morons Wink
Gieter
Vlien wrote:
I don't care about the abbreviations as long as people use them correctly. In Dutch we tend to use only three letters for the word "waarschijnlijk" (probably): they write "wss", which is wrong, 'cause waarschijnlijk doesn't even have two s'ses. I tried to motivate others into using "wsl", which could be the right abbreviation, by using that all the time. It's just so stupid. That's called hypercorrection. "Misschien" is abbreviated by "mss" so "waarschijnlijk" should be "wss"?? Morons Wink

That's true, but it's an abbreviation, it's meant to shorten the time you need to type, and 'wss' takes less time than 'wsl'. Hehe, playing advocate of the devil.

Well, "wss" is established now, there's nothing you can change about it. That's called an idiom. Languages aren't logic, by example, look at French grammar (since you live in Belgium you'll know this.) Or how about the English expression "That really takes the cake."

But your analysis is true however. Smile