FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Howl's Moving Castle and Ghibli films

Fav Studio Ghibli Film?
Kiki's Delivery Service
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Nausica of the Valley of the Wind
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
The Cat's Return
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Spirited Away
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
The Castle in the Sky
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Porco Rosso
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Princess Mononoke
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Grave of the Fireflies
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
My Neighbor Totoro
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 22

Garnet
I just saw "Howl's Moving Castle" and I have to say that it was supaa good. As usual the art was superb, and the story just as facinating as "Spirited Away" if not more so. I really enjoyed Howl's personality Very Happy

Thoughts anyone?
eku53ru
I just recently saw Howl's Moving Castle myself. I'd have to agree - it was pretty good; it makes me want to get out to my nearest library and read the novel it was based on. Howl's attitudes in the movie itself never ceased to crack me up. =3

Other movies of Miyazaki's that I've seen are Mononoke Hime and Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, respectively). Both were just as good, as well; I've see Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro, but both were edited/dubbed. I hope to one day see Tenkuu no Shiro RAPYUTA (Castle in the Sky: Laputa), which I heard was also very good, especially for the animation style of its time. X)

Off-topic, but I love your forum avatar; Wallace and Gromit rock. XD
yiusunhk
Nausica to the max I'd reckon. Most meaningful to me. Humans shouldn't kill those cool insects. ^-^ well that's my view on the world anyway. But after that I'd say my favourite music came from Laputa and Mononoke Hime, so peaceful and calm. Loved them all really. Ghibli is really really successful I'd say. Hm.. Howl's Moving Castle was a bit weird along the lines that the story line was a bit different in style to those of previous. But Yes I'd have to agree that it was a very very good animation. Favourite Character would have to be Calcifer and the scarecrow, not the guy he turns into but the scarecrow with the stick.

But in all Ghibli Animations Rocks~! ^-^
*parakiss
my nieghbor toro was super cute~!!! I suggest watching that, but I saw it when i was pretty young in japanese.
eku53ru
yiusunhk wrote:
Nausica to the max I'd reckon. Most meaningful to me. Humans shouldn't kill those cool insects. ^-^ well that's my view on the world anyway. But after that I'd say my favourite music came from Laputa and Mononoke Hime, so peaceful and calm. Loved them all really. Ghibli is really really successful I'd say. Hm.. Howl's Moving Castle was a bit weird along the lines that the story line was a bit different in style to those of previous. But Yes I'd have to agree that it was a very very good animation. Favourite Character would have to be Calcifer and the scarecrow, not the guy he turns into but the scarecrow with the stick.

But in all Ghibli Animations Rocks~! ^-^

Oh, Nausicaä! I can't believe I forgot that series; I read the three "perfect" editions that had come out when the graphic novels were initially released. It was one of the best series I had read. ^-^

I agree about Howl's Moving Castle - it was a bit weird in terms of plot, but it's Studio Ghibli. XD From what I've read on the internet, though, the series was the most recent novel adaptation since Kiki's Delivery Service (forgot the Japanese title).
yiusunhk
Yeh "Tonari No Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro) was cute. Probably one of the earliest Ghibli Studio Animations I've seen. The storyline? ^-^ very typical Ghibli Child-like animation. I guess this was what made it famous really. Everyone always remember the chinese "xiong mao"(mando) or "hong mao"(canto). And also the big mouth. ^-^

The graphic novels are so cool my sister has them all and they are in JAP... HURRAH~! hahaha Ah well Ghibli's always been really good. All complements to Hayao Miyazaki ^-^
esenbi
I think "Howl's Moving Castle" it's his best movie until now.
i loved the story, i'll buy the book some day.
and of course, all the graphic in this movie is awosome!!..

great movie. Rolling Eyes
Vesper
I watched Howl's Movie Castle in Japanese Club a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I then got so jealous when my literacy teacher, (also, the leader of the Japanese Club) bought the book online. I want to read it a lot. But I still have my own library of books to read.

I also did like Kiki's Delivery Service.
Garnet
Yeah HMC was pretty different but I thought it was pretty close to Spirited Away with the weirdness (probably thanks to Miyazaki). I just got hold of the book it was based on and I'm thinking the movie was a pretty big improvement. Howl's interesting in both versions, but I liked the story (and the castle) better on the movie.

Nausica was pretty cool with the insects huh? I thought the soundtrack was good especially the theme for the Oms (k, that might not be spelt right).

I have a theory about Sophie's curse - do you think she becomes or stays old whenever she thinks she's not pretty? I've been trying to figure out why she changes, I noticed she usually gets younger when she's distracted. I still don't know what was up with Porco Rosso's curse.
yiusunhk
LOL porco rosso's was about loving that women wasnt it and somehow because of something he was changed into a pig and then when umm what was her name kissed him...he changed back into a man... typical frog and princess i guess. Very Happy
Garnet
See that's what I thought too, but there was a moment in that movie where what's her name is supposed to sleeping, and Porco's at his desk and for a moment he isn't a pig. That's what made me wonder.
yiusunhk
Oh yeh I remember that part now... hmm perhaps its cause of love then. Like because his lovefor the original women turned him into the pig but when the girl came along and he started feeling love again maybe thats what was turning him back maybe?
Traveller
Grave of the Fireflies is just amazing. Many times, I have lent the DVD to friends who normally don't like animated films of any kind, nor the subject matter, and they have wound up saying it was the most beautfiul movie they had ever seen.

Of course, that is the quality that Ghibli tends to put out, anyway, but Grave is particularly good.
benwhite
Yeah, I was disappointed when the local paper didn't like HMC. I thought it was great. I think I Princess Mononoke might be my favorite of the ones I've seen (Nausicaa, HMC, Spirited Away). But honestly, every Miyazaki film I've seen ranks up with some of the best animated features I've ever watched.
Lilystock
I just love everyone of them ! I'm a big fan of the Studio Ghibli animations !

My favorite is The castle in the sky, but maybe it is just because it's the first one I watched.

"Grave of the Fireflies", are you sure it's from Miyazaki ? I like it too, but the style is totally different, much more serious.
Just what I though : I went on Amazone to check and the director for this one is Isao Takahata, not one of Miyazaki so Wink
Traveller
Lilystock wrote:
"Grave of the Fireflies", are you sure it's from Miyazaki ? I like it too, but the style is totally different, much more serious.
Just what I though : I went on Amazone to check and the director for this one is Isao Takahata, not one of Miyazaki so Wink

It's not Miyazaki, directly, but still from Studio Ghibli (his studio), and still the same VERY high quality.
Garnet
Has anyone heard of "Whisper of the Heart?" It came from studio Ghibli, but it's from around the same time as Kiki's Delivery Service. Anyway I just got hold of it (I didn't know it existed until yesterday). "The Cat Returns" is the story a girl in this movie wrote. I just I'd mention this since a) it isn't in my poll (like a few others I guess) and b) you might want to see this movie before you see "The Cat Returns" since they tie in together a bit.

I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet, it doesn't sound like it has much room for weirdness though which is probably why Miyazaki stayed away from it Wink How old is it?
Traveller
Garnet wrote:
I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet, it doesn't sound like it has much room for weirdness though which is probably why Miyazaki stayed away from it Wink How old is it?

My usual description of the impact of Grave of the Fireflies is: Imagine a tractor trailer made of pure gold and encrusted with jewels. Fill it with bars of pure gold and suspend it above your head with a rope of braided, pure silver. Then, after you have sat under it and admired it for a while...cut the rope.
yiusunhk
Grave of the fireflies is really good...but it is very sad. Sometimes I reckon, watching Ghibli films sort of changes the human outlook on life. But that isnt the topic i guess...hmm so yeh... Grave is cool~! ^-^
Winterborne
My favorite is Howl's Moving Castle. My husband and I watched Spirited Away and Howl's Noving Castle in one weekend not too long ago. They were both very awesome. The girl's parents in Spirited Away scared me though o.O.

Howl's Moving Castle was great! I loved every bit of it. If anyone hasn't seen either one of them I highly suggest it! I still have yet to watch Princess Mononoke but I have a friend who bought it for me and said it was really good. Might be watching that one very soon.
Jayfarer
These guys pretty much make the only good traditional 2D animation anymore. Disney has really forgotten how and rely on Pixar for their hits.
romsman
the best of these anime movies is in my opinion the cat returns altough i still have to pick up howl's moving castle at the nearest dvd store
tsukiyuuki
I'm really just a huge Ghibli fangirl; it's kind of sad. I think I've seen everything they've ever made, including the TV spots and stuff like "On Your Mark" and "The Country" which are comparitively obscure.

I can't really pick one all-time favourite Ghibli flick, but I have to say that "Mimi wo Sumaseba" (officially released in English as "Whisper of the Heart," which I can't get used to calling it) is definitely way up there, as are "Princess Mononoke" and "Sen to Chihiro"/"Spirited Away". I adore Totoro as well; it's just so much fun and such a cute movie, and rather interesting if you're into folklore and legends and stuff, live I am.
Critias
I like spirited away more than Howl's moving castle for some reason. Perhaps it was due to the influence of having read the original book. The book seemed a whole lot more interesting than the movie. It was moving too fast and had a few parts removed where it shouldn't have been. The art is great though. as usual.
Octaeder
I've tended to avoid the Ghibli films because the artwork and especially the cover of it makes them seem childish and a touch gay...

That said I saw Princess Mononoke purely due to the fact that it was part of the inspiration of Susuma Yokota's The Boy And The Tree and I loved that album.

I loved Princess Mononoke too and thought it very skillfully handled the philosophical dilemas it produced.

I thought it especially showed maturity in the way in which the leader of the women's colony wasn't some maniacal evil genius but genuinelty believed what she was doing was the best thing to do for the people she ruled over...

I'm probably being unfair to the other films its just i never get round to watching new anime these days
danito
My neighbor totoro, not the best storyline, but totoro rocks my world, and don't even get me started on the catbus, seriosly I would cut off my arms if I could go and live with them. MUUaaaaaAA
jasmine
All I can say is, ghibli films are simply the best! Just recently, I decided that I am going to scour for all ghibli films locally and collect them all!

As of the moment, I have the following films, all in DVD format:

* Cat Returns
* Howl's Moving Castle
* Kiki's Delivery Service
* Laputa: Castle in the Sky
* My Neighbor Totoro
* Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
* Only Yesterday
* Pom Poko
* Princess Mononoke
* Spirited Away
* Whisper of the Heart

Ghibli films I have seen but don't have a copy yet
* Grave of the Fireflies
* My Neighbor the Yamadas

As of the moment though, my favorite is Howl's Moving Castle. Very Happy

And I tell you guys, finding all these is not so easy feat! Especially since I'm trying to find them locally since I can't afford to buy abroad. Sad
Farhad
My Neighbours Yamadas was so funny.

But am partial to pigs in planes... thus my pick is Porco Rosso!