FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP vs RUBY

PHP or RUBY will rule?
PHP
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
RUBY on rails
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

cafefort
Hi folks,

That's some months I tried out ruby and ruby on rails
the language by itself is charmant and rails rocks too.

I just don't like the activerecord pattern, all this abstraction IMHO
will eat huge amount of system resources. and the scalling problem
will be apparent in big systems

Anyway, what do you think when you compare these two languages?
Crackster
I have never heard of ruby, well at least i dont think so, so ill say PHP
SirDuncan
I stay with PHP

Wink
Kaneda
I like PHP a lot, but mainly because of the huge amount of libraries available for it, making it possible to do just about anything, without reinventing the wheel. But... I very much prefer the syntax of Ruby, even if it's rather... different.. it's much cleaner. But it's hard to find hosting for Ruby still, so I haven't played with it very much at all - yet Razz
cafefort
Kandea, you're right.
The syntaxe of ruby is bellissima! really, that functionnal programming is beautiful but I doubt that in a conccurent environnement, all the abstraction of rails is making the programs eat big resources.
Anyway, php is nice too i'll stick with it for a while Smile
About the hosting, you're right the market is still empty
Atomo64
I haven't took a good look at ruby... but I heard it is good too, but I think that PHP is the one who will keep at the top of the list... maybe not PHP5, but when PHP6 comes out it will be the very very best.
cafefort
Notice something:

Ruby needs for performance raisons at least: apache with fastcgi
they say lighttpd + fastcgi is a good combination for an optimal use.

I tried it with apache alone, it was a disatser!
with apache and fast-cgi, that was acceptable...

I do belive that the problem isn't in RUBY itself but in this
pattern of Active Record (implemented in Rails) , which works with an abstraction of database tables in the basic level and using OOP inheritation goes up to the user's (developer's) real schema.

Anyway, I do think humbly that easy programming doesn't
mean not doing anything Wink

dontcha think Wink
PatTheGreat42
I'm rockin' the PHP, but I've been meaning to learn Ruby and Ruby on Rails. A lot of people on the 'net seem to like it, but my feeble attempts to learn in straight from a web page have, I admit, got me somewhat confused.

I think I'll go buy a book. It looks powerful and fast, but for now, I can do everything I want to do with PHP.
Gieter
I tried to study Ruby a few months ago, but I just wasn't motivated enough (my girlfriend was gone snowboarding)... I've read some really nice things about Ruby, about how good it is, how fun,.. but PHP is also good and fun!

There are also not that many webhosting companies who have Ruby on rails installed. That's a disadvantage too. I still can do whatever I like in PHP, and PHP is the lingua franca of programming languages for the World Wide Web.
cafefort
Quote:
There are also not that many webhosting companies who have Ruby on rails installed. That's a disadvantage too. I still can do whatever I like in PHP, and PHP is the lingua franca of programming languages for the World Wide Web.

Yeah! amen! Smile

Actually, the big confusion among webdeveloppers is rails and ruby
The ruby language is the most beautiful I've ever seen! --I've programed with say 15 languages or more.

Its syntaxe, its philosophy are real jewels!

BUT, IMHO, in the other hand, rails --which is written in ruby isn't that
efficient in a real concurent environement.

Yes, I've read that basecamp and thier applications are written in rails are just working fine.
but they are run on dedicated servers, which isn't affrodable by the rest of us.
Atomo64
Yesterday I searched some websites for some more information... but as the way it looks... I'm not very interested on it.
MR2005
ofcourse PHP Very Happy
Rosanova
Hi there,

I had to google for Ruby to get to know what it was about, since that the autor of this topic took it for granted that everyone was know about this script language. So therefor would I add following links for whom who is interested:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
http://www.rubycentral.com/
http://www.rubyonrails.org/

It always exciting when something new is comming up, but since I first did tried with CGI, and found that too boring and then ASP what I found too complicated and ever worse ASP.NET, and after a while get stocked into PHP that today is the most expansive scripting language, thanks linux and apache, what even had been a couple of years on it's way before it went as popular as it is today, can I just say; It wouldn't be today, tomorrow, next year or next decade. I stay with PHP as long it's for free. As free is the greatest!

Cheers!
cafefort
BruceTheDauber
PHP is okay, but Ruby is great -- it's an almost perfect language. It supports OO properly, it supports functional programming properly, and it's not verbose like Java or baroque and obtuse like Perl. The only downside seems to be that, for the web, most hosters don't offer it. There's mod_ruby and eRuby, to make it work with Apache, but it requires more effort to set it up than mod_php. I hope this changes soon.
mn_dolen
PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP
BruceTheDauber
mn_dolen wrote:
PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP PHP

Have you tried ruby at all? How much experience of other programming languages do you have? I ask, because I find it hard to believe that anyone with experience could think PHP a better language than Ruby. Ruby is obviously better.
krazycapital
I'll say PHP. I haven't played much with RUBY (About 10 minutes...) becuase it is almost impossible to find hosting for it.
BruceTheDauber
krazycapital wrote:
I'll say PHP. I haven't played much with RUBY (About 10 minutes...) becuase it is almost impossible to find hosting for it.

I think you need to spend at least a day with a language, and write a couple of hundred lines in it, before you can pass judgement on it.

It is unfortunate that Ruby hosting is not so common, but as a language it is much better than PHP. It's worth having on your HD as a general-purpose scripting language.
avk
What is Ruby??

I think PHP is the best....I love it
immoralist
I'm fairly new to all these things and either option is a bit of a learning curve at the moment. So, wanting the easy life, I'm trying to learn both PHP and rails at the same time to give me a good idea of what I am capable of doing with each. I've meant to get into PHP for a long time but doing other stuff has prevented this, but recently I've tried to make the space to get into the nitty gritty. Then I got distracted by discovering that www.alistapart.com went with rails, and, as people who I really respect, felt that I should check it out.

I'll let people know how I get on with both as it may be interesting for others in my position in the future.