FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Meta tags???

mymindbeing
Does google still search for meta tags?
Any info on how to get noticed by google or anyother search engine would be helpful.
My web site has awsome potential. It is a community communications form/dating/cupons. It will prove to be a very useful tool. I just need to find out how to get it recognized. By the way I have gotten very used to spell check pardon my mistakes.
manumiglani
mymindbeing wrote:
Does google still search for meta tags?
Any info on how to get noticed by google or anyother search engine would be helpful.
My web site has awsome potential. It is a community communications form/dating/cupons. It will prove to be a very useful tool. I just need to find out how to get it recognized. By the way I have gotten very used to spell check pardon my mistakes.

Hello Mymindbeing !

well google takes into account your meta description tag only. you should build your meta description tag in order to include your two main keywords in that. do not include the same words more than 3-4 times in meta description tag because it can lead to the disqualification of your meta description tag and a sloppy description from your website will appear that will not look good.

Yahoo takes into account your meta keywords tag also. so you should include your important keywords in meta keywords tag as well. try to include the misspellings related to your keywords. you can use http://www.ppctoolkit.com/products/kwb/docs/misspell.php this to find out misspelled keywords related to your website. do not include the same word in meta keywords tag more than 4 times as it can lead to the disqualification of your meta keywords tag.

Also, on how to get noticed from seach engines. the best way is to get listed in directories and get back links. submit to the as many directories as possible. here is the list http://www.directorylist.org . also, search for your three main keywords at yahoo, msn and google and find the first 30 results and see that if is it possible to exchange links with them.

and there are other lots of ways to get recognized like some contests, buying links etc etc.
littlegiant
It's questionable whether reciprocal linking is really worth it anymore. I've read some search engine newsletters where they're talking about how search engines are getting smarter and smarter and are starting to realize that the citation authority attributable to backlinks doesn't really exist with exchanged links.
blackbart
littlegiant wrote:
It's questionable whether reciprocal linking is really worth it anymore. I've read some search engine newsletters where they're talking about how search engines are getting smarter and smarter and are starting to realize that the citation authority attributable to backlinks doesn't really exist with exchanged links.

Not too many one way "authority attributable links" out there in relationship to the billions of pages that are indexed. the old saw about link text in your back links is very true. optimizing your page is also very important. backlinks get you indexed. thousands of backlinks get you indexed quicker.
The "link text" in your backlinks get you higher in searches for those words. Getting indexed is the number one priority. Once you are gettng crawled the page should stand out with your targeted keywords in title, description 'h' tags 'alt' tags and bolded or emphasized.
Yes, the "authority attributable links" are an achievement we can all strive for but difficult to attain. The pages your one way link are on, and their own "authority attributable links" will weigh the link. Back links are still a viable method to gain rank and get indexed. They just do not have the same weight as those "authority attributable links."
Meta tags are not as important as what is in your title and content. Get your targeted word into the title, and description make the description human readable; remember, this is what will be shown in SERPs you'll want to convince folks searching that your site is about what they are searching for (your targeted KWs) and that it is not a "spam site." Do not get carried away with keywords n the description meta tag but use them in a natural way with out repeating too much not only do some SEs see this as spam but your (potetntial) users will as well.
Use style sheets to bring 'h1' & 'h2' tags to a presentable level use em as headings for paras. Link to your pages on the first & second pages. Link from a menu but also link from within the text in a natural way that tell SEs you are serous about your subject and your content is actually about the keyword subject. Add a page or two a week, every day is better, (forums are dynamite for this as they are constantly updated and will be indexed more often).
Your content and your off page backlink text are the most important pieces of information that tells the SEs and users what you are all about. Strive, but don't kill yourself, for one-way links from highly ranked pages in your field. Articles published on authority pages will be your easiest and quickest route to that end.
I doubt that the 'keyword' meta tag is of any use to the big three SEs anymore, but it don;t cost nuthin' to put it in and some advertisers check it. also if they are not in your content they may act against you. be careful when filling that in. i wouldn't go for misspellings unless you are looking for short-term temporary results.
littlegiant
Last I heard (and also based on personal experience), Yahoo still takes the META keywords tag seriously. Also, just to clarify... what I meant by 'citation authority' is a concept held for the longest time in academic papers where the more often a particular work was cited in other works, the more likely the cited work was likely to be an 'authority' on the subject it deals with. The exact same concept can be held true with web pages and back links. The more likely people are to spontaneously (without being solicited) link to your web page/site, the more likely it is that you are thought of as an authority on the subject you deal with.