FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Debian or ubuntu?

polopolo
I have a long time searched for wich linux OS I should use on my pc.

Now I want debian and ubuntu, but I want use one linux os on my pc and not two.
So that's the question: Wich one shoyld I use.

Note: When I use debian or ubuntu, I use the testing version!
desertwind
That depends.

If you're an absolute n00b, you should go with Ubuntu Live CD, hang out there some days, have some basic knowledge on filesystem, directory permissions, s/w installation etc, and then go for Ubuntu HDD installation.

If you have some knowledge, go for ubuntu hdd installation directly.

If you're a geek, install debian.
{name here}
Burn a Debian CD, and get the free(no strings attached) Ubuntu CD via snail mail. Decide which one you like better.
Atomo64
I recommend you to download Knoppix Live CD, try it... and then download the official Debian Sarge Network Installation CD, install it, then upgrade to etch and then install everything ... like x-window-system, kde, and other apps...

Personally I don't like Ubuntu... mainly because of GNOME... but if you are already going to use something else like KDE... then do it with Debian Smile
polopolo
Atomo64 wrote:
I recommend you to download Knoppix Live CD, try it...

Knoppix says that there is no memory to start KDE. But debian have's no problem with my memory.

Quote:
and then download the official Debian Sarge Network Installation CD, install it, then upgrade to etch and then install everything ... like x-window-system, kde, and other apps...

Why downloading Debian Sarge? There's a official Debian Sid Network Installation CD.
Daniel15
Well, if you're a newbie, I suggest Ubuntu. It's not too hard to use, my mum uses it on her (old celeron) computer Razz. Ubuntu is based on Debian, so they're basically the same. Ubuntu is easier to use for newbies, though. It has all the good bits of Debian, with some of its own good bits Smile

Quote:
Personally I don't like Ubuntu... mainly because of GNOME

Kubuntu is a version of Ubuntu that uses the KDE. See http://www.kubuntu.org/ for more information.
Atomo64
polopolo wrote:

Knoppix says that there is no memory to start KDE. But debian have's no problem with my memory.

KDE is not the only Desktop that you can use... iceVM is good too, but you can make KDE work a little better by disabling some of the eye-candies...

polopolo wrote:
Why downloading Debian Sarge? There's a official Debian Sid Network Installation CD.

You can download the beta1 of etch too, but what I mean is that... it is easier to upgrade from sarge to etch... and for example, I don't use sid, I prefer etch because it is more stable... and when I need the latest version of a program then I just download the source code and compile it...

Quote:
Kubuntu is a version of Ubuntu that uses the KDE. See http://www.kubuntu.org/ for more information.

I know, But that's not exactly ubuntu... it has the K Wink
ocalhoun
There is an unlimited number of different distros out there, why do you limit yourself to just two?
By the way, I hate ubuntu: it dosen't have a root account.
My reason: Once, when I was running ubuntu, the graphics system screwed up (I like to tweak it), therefore I Hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to drop back to the console. That's when there was a problem:
I couldn't use Init commands because I didn't have the nonexistant root privilages.
Daniel15
ocalhoun wrote:
There is an unlimited number of different distros out there, why do you limit yourself to just two?
By the way, I hate ubuntu: it dosen't have a root account.
My reason: Once, when I was running ubuntu, the graphics system screwed up (I like to tweak it), therefore I Hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to drop back to the console. That's when there was a problem:
I couldn't use Init commands because I didn't have the nonexistant root privilages.

They disable the root account by default. You could use sudo to run whatever you want to run as the root user. To enable the root account, run 'sudo passwd' which will prompt you for your current password, and then ask you to change the password for the root user. Once you do that, logging in as 'root' should work.