FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Grudge

Devang
ear Folks

Recently I watched a horror Movie "The Grudge". It is based on a Japanese Novel.

Few images in the movie are really disturbing. An old woman, haunted house, and those images of dead woman's hand, the cat and dead son of woman really frightened me to some extend.

Special sound made by the woman precauting that she is coming is really horrible.

I recommend to all horror movie lovers to watch this movie .

Usually, I watch horror movie at night time around 11 or 12 O'clock to get the real scare of the movie!!
Freezon
I own the movie but watched it some time ago, so I forget some of the details. I remember it being sort of gruesome, though not the worst. I still enjoyed the movie though and recommend it as well.
Flavia
Wow! I just love this film! Razz
The story is so well written... I love the fact that they begin the film with a tragic event and then they start unravelling the drama...
It's one of the best horror movies ever!
Khazid
Whats a forum without a dissenting opinion...so, Ill be that.

I thought this movie was horrible. At no point was it even remotely frightening, and goes off the, "lets make people pale skinned and dark haired and they'll be scarry" plan for horror flicks.

Special effects really lacked, and the ghosts were just people with too much foundation on.

The whole americans in japan thing also had nothing to do with making the story better or more believeable, it was simply a vehicle to put some starpower into the flick to get people to go see it. Wouldnt the story have seemed more believeable had the people in the story been native to the setting, not thrust in with the, "Oh were americans living in Japan, and thats the only explination you need" storyline?

The kid meows?...Ohhh Kaaayy. Wasnt even aware that meowing kids were scary.

And the evil girl ghost? When she corners you, does she rip out your heart, or burn you with hellfire from her eyes, or really do anything to you at all? Nope, she just kind of crawls up to you all shaky-like, and makes this clicking noise in the back of her throat, then your eyes glaze over and you die. At least Samara had the decency to call you and let you know that in 7 days shed be crawling out of your TV set to scare you to death. The Ring did the Creepy Girl thing right, The Grudge just tried to cash in on the trend, with a bit more starpower.

And thats my opinion
FoXhounD
I have seen the film a couple of times, but i dont think it is that scary..

I have heard that "Ju-On" (The Japanese version of The Grudge), should be scray as hell, but i haven't seen it myself.
nakamaru
Don't watch this movie. It is poorly written and the "horror" is actually funny. Only watch this movie if you want a laugh.
jyrevi
To be honest, this movie really scared me to death! We were having a slumber party at my friend's house. After we watched all the comedies, we decided to watch The Grudge. The freaky part was the closet there, because it looks exactly like my friend's closet! We were like screaming and woke the whole house up, lol. But now, whenever we talk about that, we just laugh ourselves off Laughing
Skouris
To be perfectly honest, I got barely five minutes in the film and I don't recall exactly what it was that I saw that freaked me out but I haven't even attempted to view it again and that was a year ago ! Embarassed
shinnoyami
Khazid wrote:
Whats a forum without a dissenting opinion...so, Ill be that.

I thought this movie was horrible. At no point was it even remotely frightening, and goes off the, "lets make people pale skinned and dark haired and they'll be scarry" plan for horror flicks.

Special effects really lacked, and the ghosts were just people with too much foundation on.

The whole americans in japan thing also had nothing to do with making the story better or more believeable, it was simply a vehicle to put some starpower into the flick to get people to go see it. Wouldnt the story have seemed more believeable had the people in the story been native to the setting, not thrust in with the, "Oh were americans living in Japan, and thats the only explination you need" storyline?

The kid meows?...Ohhh Kaaayy. Wasnt even aware that meowing kids were scary.

And the evil girl ghost? When she corners you, does she rip out your heart, or burn you with hellfire from her eyes, or really do anything to you at all? Nope, she just kind of crawls up to you all shaky-like, and makes this clicking noise in the back of her throat, then your eyes glaze over and you die. At least Samara had the decency to call you and let you know that in 7 days shed be crawling out of your TV set to scare you to death. The Ring did the Creepy Girl thing right, The Grudge just tried to cash in on the trend, with a bit more starpower.

And thats my opinion

The film was based on the japanese film Ju-on, it had the same director, and same woman and little boy as in the Ju-on. To have americans living in japan was so that it could hit the mainstreem in america without losing too much of its originality. also, conforming to the normal 'person has problem, tries to overcome it, obstacles, ect.'

The kid meows because he gets posessed by it's black cat.

the dead people have pale skin because they're dead. and dark hair to contrast the pale skin.

the 'evil ghost girl' is the mother of the kid, she kills whoever enters the house, not sure exactly how.. she brings them to the 'other side'

I own Ju-On, and it isn't as scary as the Grudge, although it has parts that wasn't in the grudge that doesn't revolve around the house keeper.

Creepy spirit stuff like this is frightening to japanese people because they are spiritual. so if it doesn't scare you maybe you should rent a slasher instead.
pudovkin
Dude, this film is definitely scary.
Sometimes, I can't sleep well since when I saw it. 2 years ago, I think.
Damn, the blanket scene is the fall of a myth! I'd never thought the monster could be under my sheets!
jipmerite
This movie is definitely very scary. And by coincidence the night that I watched it I was alone at home and it was actually lightning and thundering outside.... I couldn't bear the suspense so sometimes I fast forwarded to see what was going to happen and then rewound and saw the part in real time...hehe.

I have seen The Ring and I think that was more unbelievable than the The Grudge. The Grude scared the skin off my bones. The best scary movie I have seen in a long long time...
dyrtyrice
This movie sucked, was a major dissapointment. It was also extremely contrived and I don't think using a comb for the majority of the sound effects helped. Don't know why...but I really didn't like it, and I wasn't scared at all.
PinkLaces
Oh, i LOVE this movie! Very Happy
scared the hell out of me though!

I'd reccomend it also! Very Happy
crimson_aria
My friends and I watched the Japanese film Ju-On in theatre 2 years ago? I can't remember. My heart pounded hard on some scenes. It's a good movie.
m_furquan36
I really liked the Juon film the original japenese one but then when i saw the grudge it wasnt as scarey i would say that because i must have seen it like before so the remake wasnt scarey to me but it must be for those who saw it first time Smile
pudovkin
I still have nightmares about this film. LOL
Majo
I really enjoyed this film, mainly because the same day I saw it at my house, it was really late and there were lots of noices outside my house:P, there is going to be a second one, right?
pudovkin
Majo wrote:
there is going to be a second one, right?

Please, no. HAHAHAHA
Svarn
This movie is great at turning a delicate viewer off horror films for the rest of their life. I have done it to two people already with the Grudge!
QrafTee
I saw this with my friends at night because my friend's dad buys Japanese movies. We watched Ju-on (the original which The Grudge is a remake of) and it was really cool. I liked how it sends chills down people's spines not by gorey blood and stuff, but by the subtly in how they place the "meowing boy" in the scenes or during the change from one scene to another. (Kinda like a creepy millisecond Where's Waldo) Also the sounds made it scary and incorporated well with the movie because it makes you aware of your presence (if you're watching it in the dark and expect Toshio to be watching the movie right behind you with those hollow eyes of his). I also liked how they ate the victims and because they scared them to the death, the victims also bears a grudge on the worrld and begins becomes possessed by Toshio's mother.

I also saw Ju-on 2 (was looking for it right after I watched Ju-on) and it wasn't as scary since I was expecting some of the scary scenes to happen, but what really surprised me the most is the end when it "the grudge" spreads even further via... well you'll know when you watch it for yourself.
pudovkin wrote:
Majo wrote:
there is going to be a second one, right?

Please, no. HAHAHAHA