You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

This is really ticking me off!

I've been having endless trouble trying to evaluate a mySQL application on my PC under JSAS. I saw no0bie's tutorial on installing phpBB so, basing what I did on what was in there, I tried uploading my application to see if I could get into it on Frihost.

I created the database exactly as stated in no0bie's tutorial; I added a username and password as described. I then went into phpMyAdmin and, sure enough, it was there.

I changed the file access as described, ran the install.php, entered all the details. Did it work? Did it hell! "Apache cannot connect to mySQL server" (or words to that effect).

I have been trying to get 1 of my mySQL applications to actually open a database for about 2 weeks now and I haven't managed it once. I thought, I REALLY thought, it was working this time when the install.php seemed to work (I didn't get the access denied as you don't have permission stuff that I'd got every time on my PC). I don't know whether I felt downcast or just thoroughly pi**ed off.

Then I got notification of an email from Frihost. Oooh - an activation email! I clicked on the link expectantly and... 404 file not found on this server. Ahh, but wait... there's an activation key in the email and the link ended with key=. So I added the key to the end of the URL & tried again. Guess what... 404 file not found on this server.

What has mySQL got against me? I've searched forums all over the place in the past 2 weeks trying to get answers and I couldn't find 1 single topic on the same subject. I've searched the forums here... nothing. Surely I can't be the only person having this sort of problem.

So, what the hell do I have to do to get a mySQL application installed here? What didn't I do? Where's my mummy! Crying or Very sad
Okay boy, mummy's here, don't cry Smile.

Okay. I guess you actually received this error

phpBB: Crtitical Error
Failed to connect to database
or something like that and not apache or whatever.

Okay, in my tutorial, I only stated an example. Such as "username" or whatever. But in actual case, the username is

<directadmin login username>_<the name you gave>

and not just the name you gave. So, try adding a <directadmin login username>_ Wink.

If that doesn't work, then make sure your password and etc are correct.
no0bie - thanks for responding.

Nope, the error was definitely about Apache not being able to connect to, I believe, mySQL server. I've deleted the application & database now so I can't check.

So, try adding a <directadmin login username>_

How? You see, this is the sort of thing I've been finding - "You have to add such-and-such" or "change so-and-so to..."; but nowhere can I find anything that says how to do it!

On my PC I was trying to install an application and it said I had to add something-or-other to config.php when there wasn't even a config.php file in sight.

I've got a lot of experience with databases (Oracle, Ingres, MDBSIII & IV, Titanium, and a bit of mySQL) but mainly on the design side. Plus it's only recently that I've tried to use php. I've always previously worked in VB, C++, and a few other more eclectic languages. I've never encountered such a frustrating problem before.

P.S. I did use <myusername>_name etc

Try going into phpmyadmin and see if any data was written into the database. If nothing was written, then something went wrong with the installation and it's better to redo it (just reupload config.php, delete all the users/databases for phpBB and recreate them).

If data was written (phpbb_auth_access to phpbb_words, should be around 29 tables if I remembered correctly), then, check config.php to see if the data was written correctly.

If config.php does not exist, re-create it. The contents in config.php are this

// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file
// Do not change anything in this file!

$dbms = "mysql";

$dbhost = "localhost";
$dbname = "dbnamehere";
$dbuser = "usernamehere";
$dbpasswd = "dbpasswordhere";

$table_prefix = "phpbb_";

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);

Yes, edit the $dbhost, $dbname, $dbuser, $dbpasswd values Smile.
Try going into phpmyadmin and see if any data was written into the database. If nothing was written, then something went wrong with the installation and it's better to redo it (just reupload config.php, delete all the users/databases for phpBB and recreate them).

Nothing could have been written. All I managed to do was create the db. The application installation failed. Before I uploaded the application I used phpMyAdmin and there were no tables. As the installation failed there were still no tables afterwards.

When I first tried the install I'd forgotten to put <username>_ in front of the username I was entering. I got a "username not valid" error. When I entered the correct name I got the "Apache cannot connect to myQSL server" error message.

That, to me, says that the names/passwords etc that I entered were valid & that the problem occurred after they were checked.

It's not phpBB that I'm trying to install. It's a membership system for my site.

And what was that activation email from Frihost about? Is the database not active until I've visited the link in it? The link didn't work, so could the problem be something to do with that?