FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Never Mind Problem Resolved

igor123d
I have tried to install PHPBB, however some problems came up. I uploaded the files and created the SQL dbase and all worked fine up to that point. However, when I tried to open install.php, I did not see the actual site but just its source. Other php sites work fine. I repeated the process a couple of times with no result. I even used a different computer and still can't visualize the site correctly. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Someone proposed running a sample PHP code namely this:
<?php
phpinfo ();
?>

to see whether PHP even worked, and the resulting page was blank. Does this mean that the PHP code is not even parsed? I though PHP was automatically "activated".
mathiaus
Can see Phpbb on your site so I'm assuming you've solved this? Question

Check the files are named .php and when open they have opening and closing tags <?php & ?> sometimes some ftp clients remove these (dont know why). Also make sure anything that needs to be chmoded, is.
igor123d
No, the PHPBB forum on the site is hosted on another site, I just let that site open into the second frame. I still cannot run PHP on the server. I tried another simple hello world program for PHP and it just comes out blank.
snowboardalliance
are the pages .php?
igor123d
For example I created a sample file called try.php

its text is:

<html>
<head>
<title>PHP Page</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php
echo "Hello World!";
?>
</body>

Nevertheless, when I open it, the page is blank.
snowboardalliance
igor123d wrote:

its text is:

<html>
<head>
<title>PHP Page</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php
echo "Hello World!";
?>
</body>

Nevertheless, when I open it, the page is blank.

This page is uploaded to your public_html folder right?
igor123d
[quote="snowboardalliance"]
igor123d wrote:

This page is uploaded to your public_html folder right?

Yes they are
igor123d
I even downloaded some sample php files and uploaded them to my public html directory. Once again opening them (in both IE and FF) does not all the php elements to be visualized. This is very strange as it appears that I am the only one who has the program. I checked the settings for the account though, and it says that PHP is turned on.

I suppose the best guess is that I doing something completely idiotic as no else has such fundamental problems with PHP on frihost. But I attempted to do some really basic stuff and don't see where I could have made a critical error.
igor123d
Does someone have a Frihost site that includes PHP elements. Perhaps I could upload that file to my account and see whether it works there. This would control virtually all other variables.

BTW here is what I see now when I open a PHP page (in this case the PHPBB install file): http://216.32.85.170/~igor123d/php%20prob2.jpg
n0obie4life
Don't view it through filemanager. Use your broswer.