FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shutdown time....

Tomppe
I've got a problem with my Windows.. It takes about an hour to shutdown windows. It's really annyoing and everything i hate it! So i wonder if someone can help me?

Regards,
Tomppe
Animal
What version of Windows are you running?

If it is Windows XP, your computer is probably deleting the Pagefile every time you shut your computer down. Have a look here to see how to stop it doing so.

Microsoft Support wrote:
Although clearing the paging file is not a suitable substitute for physical security of a computer, you might want to do this to increase the security of data on a computer while Windows is not running.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Change the data value of the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value in the following registry key to a value of 1:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
If the value does not exist, add the following value:
Value Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1 <--- Replace with 0 to disable pagefile delete
This change does not take effect until you restart the computer.

The above code shows you how to enable deletion of the pagefile on shutdown. To disable it, replace the value 1 with 0.

The next step is to run Windows Update and make sure your computer is fully patched and up-to-date. Any problems, let me know.
Tomppe
Thanks Smile Now it goes a lot faster Razz Thanks a lot!
Animal
No problem Very Happy

I'm going to lock this topic since your problem seems to be resolved, but if you want it re-opened, please feel free to PM any moderator.

-close-