FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do I set-up Mambo for my new site here?

blundar
I just got approved to put up a new website here. I'd really like to install Mambo but have no experience with it.

How do I start doing that?

What should be the first thing that I need to do?

What is next?

Any other advice on getting Mambo up and running?
Diebels
Instead of Mambo you can use Joomla! Its from the same developer team and free of charge. You can download it from www.joomla.org

To Install:
1. upload Joomla_1.0.8-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz to your server
2. in Direct Admin choose to extract it to any directory in your public_html folder
3.create a database
4.after that go to the folder with your joomla and run the installation
you have to change serval directory permissions, but its self explaining and easy

If you need help to install Pm me

Diebels
blundar
Thanks for the great information. I'll have to give the intallation a shot to see how far I get. I'm sure that I'll have additional questions once I try it.

How does Joomla compare to Mambo? What are some of the differences, limitations, better things about Joomla?

Again, thanks for all the great info and help.

Antonio Cotto
GemPhoto
elcyron
blundar wrote:

How does Joomla compare to Mambo? What are some of the differences, limitations, better things about Joomla?

the company that ownes the name mambo changed their license a while ago which lead to a dispute in the coderscommunity. almost all the people who developed mambo (aourcecode and docs) abandoned the project, took the last free version of mambo added the stuff they had not yet released and thus gave birth to the new and shiny joomla.

up to now differences should be rather slim but will increase with every new patchlevel.
if you're new to the CMS you might as well start with joomla (but that's only my opinnion)
check out your cpanel, look for fantastico it might help you in the installation process.
Diebels
elcyron wrote:
look for fantastico it might help you in the installation process.

Fantastico is only on server one. all new accounts on server two have direct admin. thats why i wrote how to install it. in fantastico its just 2 clicks and everything is installed
blundar
I downloaded Joomla, created a folder called Joomla in the public directory, put put it there and extracted it.

I then created a mySQL database. So far everything looked good.

I then went into the /Joomla/install folder and clicked on the install file. It started the webpage installation.

I went thru a few pages and when I got to the information for the database, I got an error message that the database could not be created. I must have either created the database wrong, or the information I am putting in during the installation is wrong. Maybe I am running the wrong installation file? Either way, I got stuck.

What do you think I did wrong? I wish that I could install it using Fantastico. That sounds like it is much simpler.

I also spoke to another person that also uses Joomla and he told me that he uses the Joomla Magazine Mod for his website (very similar to what I'd like to build) and he loves it. Are Mods simple to install?
alkutob
It is somethinggreat to hear about Joomla ,, I never heard about it before .

I read your conversation so it looks like something I am looking for ...

I visited www.joomla.org ... but I have some difficulties with English language so ..could not understand enough what Joomla is offering in specific words .. so according to what I had read ...is it a program that can help building websites ?

And is it free to be used from puplic ?

I will continue reading this topic with all your conversation to stand at the point that I can start from ...and after that ..I will appreciate any help you may offer to me .

Diebels ... thank you for your attitude about offering blundar more help which may encourage me to depend on some help from you ..

Thank you all
Diebels
blundar wrote:
I got an error message that the database could not be created. I must have either created the database wrong, or the information I am putting in during the installation is wrong. Are Mods simple to install?

1st entry is localhost
2nd entry username is your given username for your frihost account
3rd entry password same password as given for your account
last entry database name prefix_name (the name youve give for your database)

that all Smile
Diebels

Mods and Components are the easiest way to extend your Joomla installation
Check my site... its full of the, free downloads
blundar
Maybe I'm running the wrong install file?

I might delete the database, re-create a new one and try again.
Diebels
blundar wrote:
Maybe I'm running the wrong install file?

I might delete the database, re-create a new one and try again.

If you like i can install joomla for you... just send me your login details ( you can change them later) it might be the fastest way for you to get your site going

Just PM me