FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Keybord !!

ahmad
GOD THIS WILL ROCK !!!

http://artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS KEYBOARD GUYS !!!!
Jack_Hammer
This is not brand new, it has been out for a while, and that is hopefully the keyboard I am going to buy for my new computer.
paul_indo
Looks pretty amazing, how much does it cost, does anybody know?

Might have to get me one of those. Looks really good for photoshop.
alkady
paul_indo wrote:
Looks pretty amazing, how much does it cost, does anybody know?

Might have to get me one of those. Looks really good for photoshop.

Trust me it isnt going to cost pennies and it certainly wont cost dollars. But I presume it would cost a few hundred dollars.
Kaneda
Yeah, been waiting for this one to get out since I first saw it about half a year ago - and then I'll wait some more for it to get cheaper Smile I just knew this post would be about it - "New keyboard" said it all Wink

Maybe it would even be feasible to have a look at learning the Dvorak layout - and make things easier when writing in different languages. But of course, it'll mean even more death to my memory. No more remembering keyboard shortcuts. Even worse than how I can't remember passwords, because all programs these days like to save them for me Wink

- and all that intellisense/code completion "crap" that I've grown unable to live without Razz
Insanity
That is going to take a while to get used to. I never use any other keys other than the standard buttons anyways -- I ignore all the media center and shortcut keys crap that are on my keyboard.
DJGuardy
That's freaking nice man, it's so retro yet so modern at the same time. God, that's sweet. Whether its worth a few hundred dollars is worth anyones guess, but the Z-Board I use for gaming with interchangeable keysets does me Smile
Jayfarer
The creators are saying it is going to be "affordable"

I hope they're not liars. Or at least that they have the same definition of "affordable" as I do.
goutha
That's really cool. I think that it will be the standard in the next few years.

Do you know guys where it's for sale ?
Jack_Hammer
Jayfarer wrote:
The creators are saying it is going to be "affordable"

I hope they're not liars. Or at least that they have the same definition of "affordable" as I do.

They are going to be rich, of course their version of affordable is going to differ from yours but I believe it costs around $200 USD.
Blaster
That is too much. They arn't going to make that much i dont'think.

I so want it though Very Happy
Petee
That keyboard looks so cool. That would rock to have that keyboard. It would also make it a bit easier for me. I wouldn't have to keep explaining the keys for games when my friends come over to play. I can just say, "Look at the keyboard."
xkarenflowerx
lol, this is so awesome Very Happy i love how it's for a mac!!! Razz

and the keys are so pretty, with the pictures Cool *wants one of these excellent keyboards*!!
Vrythramax
It does look very cool, but I don't know that I would pay a couple of hundred dollars for one. I burn through a couple of keyboards a year as it is, and I can't see paying that much for something I may have to replace in a few months. The language feature looks very interesting, but I don't know about using Cyrillic...I have enough trouble with the English letters that I already know.

The upside to that [using Cyrillic] is if I made a typo...who would know? Not anyone I know anyway. Cool
Blaster
Yea it is expansive. That would keep me from getting it. If it were like $50 then I would buy one. But $200 no way. The photo shop feature looks cool too.
saiko
Jack_Hammer wrote:
This is not brand new, it has been out for a while, and that is hopefully the keyboard I am going to buy for my new computer.

It's a concept and nt yet available in the market Confused
Let's see if it's really launched by the end of 2006.
Blaster
Yea that is true. It is still not out. The price is a little unfair though. Its ashame that it is for mac.
looksbad
like postest above the new keyboard sadi it all to me aswell ive been waiting near half a year now ! Dam that keyboard is so nice and will help me alot.
Vrythramax
Blaster wrote:
Yea that is true. It is still not out. The price is a little unfair though. Its ashame that it is for mac.

it's for a mac? Well, I sure won't be buying one then....not that I planned to anyway Wink
lukeropro
that looks totally cool. where can I buy it?
Clash
If you go further into the website, it says that it will be out (hopefully) in 2006 and will not cost any more than a good mobile phone. So about $200 then Laughing

You can put yourself on a mailing list to get updates when they come out.

How long before a cheap taiwanese copy comes out?
ocalhoun
It's completely awsome, but will it support linux? Probably not.
It opens up possibilities for a no-monitor computer, which would be very interesting.
Camel
Cool stuff Twisted Evil

Madnes for me (and probably for my wallet too )
deleenheir
The keyboard doesn't look very appealing to me. First of all the keys look like they are plastic. And I mean intact they look like they feel like an old keyboard. Also, I wonder if the keys are invisible when sunshine or strong light shines upon it. Won't they had the same problem like TFT screens.

I just swear by my own Logitech ultrax keyboard.
surdy
This Keyboard looks reaaly cool one . Would love to own one such keyboard. Very Happy
psycosquirrel
It will probably be at least $400 dollars, and has been supposed to have been released for a long time. Unfortunately, making something of this type is very complicated because each independant key has to have a full color LCD with some sort of resolution (looks like about 128x128 from the pics). Let's count the keys; that is the number of LCDs needed to make something of this sort. Since even the simplest LCD screens that run on a composite input (such as those PS1 screens) are AT LEAST $30 used. Sure the screens will be smaller, but doesn't miniturization in technology mean a price boost? Finally,
Quote:
It will most likely use the OLED technology
means that the keyboards will have a lifespan. Because OLEDs are organic, I am going to estimate it at somewhere around 1000 hours or less. This means an avid user could use the keyboard for around 2.75 hours a day for a year and it would die. Considering I am on for about 5-6 hours a day, I would be lucky to be able to have it last 6 months.

Finally, this whole keyboard seems much more complicated than it really is. Something of this scale would probably not be able to run on a simple USB interface, and therefore, would be nearly impossible to use as a BIOS keyboard or something of the such, as they say it should be able to do on their site.

Overall, the concept seems amazing, but the manufacture of something of the sort is very difficult and probably will not be released anywhere near the release date. I remember reading articles on this keyboard over a year ago, and the release date has been changed constantly. I wish they would just not give a release date and let it come out when and if it ever does.
ForceRun
I don't know, other than being fancy I really don't see anything so great about this keyboard. Want to see a great Keypad that is way Cool.

http://www.ergodex.com/content.php?id=12

You can program the keys, and put them where ever you like best. Great for gaming!! keyboard that perfectly fits your hands.
CijaBabaBombuNosi
Can anyone tell me how much does it cost this optimum keyboard and where can I buy it because I am from Croatia!?!?!? Thanks
psycosquirrel
It is not out yet and probably will never be. Look for the one ForceRun mentioned; I have seen it in action and it is quite amazing.

Either way though, it is just a keyboard... Not that important...
xorcist
It looks nice but it really doesnt matter to me about keyboard, I barely even look at my keyboard becuase I just type without looking all I really care about is my monitor becuase that's the only thing I look at.
driftingfe3s
That page is pretty old, that concept keyboard has been around a while, and I think it will be some time before we actually see a full OLED keyboard. I think they relased a mini 6 button version if not too long ago that I saw on engadget.
psycosquirrel
It was like $400 though...

And I believe it was 3 or 4 button Laughing
Urahara
My friend said last year that they would start shipping those in mass volumes this year, And yet I haven't seen any of them around.
bassgs_17
I saw this floating around a while ago... And I can guarantee you that it will be incredibly expensive! Maybe they will send me one so that I can review it on Aquastrike's Realm (my hardware and computer news site) (www.aquastrike.be
Also, it would be cool to program some 1337 images to the keys, like a sawblade image to wipe the drive....
Am I the only one here who wears a tin hat?
-Aquastrike