FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Gaming Monitor

william
What would you say the best gaming monitor is? I really like Dell's 24 inch widescreen LCD. Really cool.
Urahara
You'd have to buy some intense graphics card with a 24" LCD to keep up with its native don't you? 24" is too big for my taste anyhow.

I have a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 930BF. It's got a 4ms response time, I think this is a pretty good one?
Clash
william wrote:
What would you say the best gaming monitor is? I really like Dell's 24 inch widescreen LCD. Really cool.
Dell don't make anything. So if you see it with a Dell badge on it, look around for the real manufacturer. You might get a better deal. If you can get a close look at one, read the FCC ID no. off the back, and look it up in the FCC database.

Also Dell are notorious for not passing on Manufacturers warranties, Dell give a 1 year warranty, the manufacturer gives a 3 year one. Gateway used to do this as well. I'm not saying they still do this, but I have seen this to be the case in the past.

Anyway to answer your question, if you have a video card with a DVI output, get a digital screen. The difference between digital and analogue flat screens is chalk and cheese. I use Xerox Digitals and they are very good, not mad fast in response time, but they have the real advantage of a glass panel in front of the screen that make cleaning a doddle and protect the screen itself from damage.
alkady
william wrote:

I personally think a ordinary computer connected on a projector is the best kind of monitor, They are gynormous especially in the windowless basement where the characters are twice your size. And best its like at the movie theater since it offers a movie like experience.
sush
Speaking of CRTs (firstly) ViewSonic just came up with a couple of em that go right up to 2048x1536. 19 inches!!! If you've got the VGA power to handle that, should be a decent buy for resolution. The only CRTs I'd recommend.

- LCDs -

Viewsonic:
19" WXGA VA1912W
20" WXGA VA2012W
20" WXGA VA2023W
All of em with an 8ms response and 16:10. The last has a viewing angle of 176 degrees either way. Very Happy

Response-conscious folks would love:
17" VX724
19" VX924 (touted as the worlds best gaming LCD)

I don't seem to like other brands for now, and apple's response times aren't upto the mark.
Jaiye
You may disregard what clash said about the dell monitor, you won't find this from anyone else. I have the Dell 2405FPW (24" @ 1920x1200 ) and it's truely an amazing monitor. If you have the cash for it, do it.
And as for needing an intense graphics card, that's not even a problem. I'm running it fine with an overclocked 6600 (not even the GT), and can get between 30-50 FPS in CS:S at the native resolution. Any other game is perfectly playable also, the only place that you'll start to get destroyed is if you try to add FSAA/AF to the mix.

And the best part, is it doubles as a wonderful HDTV. I've never been much of a movie watcher until I had this. Everything just looks so good, you would not regret buying this at all.

psycosquirrel
Looks cool.

Every monitor I have ever owned has come from a thrift store. Currently, I am running a Viewsonic PerfectFlat A70F that I got for $7 (I think. I remember it was under $10). I also have a secondary monitor, a Viewsonic 17PS, that I got from a church garage sale for $5. But, I had to get a gender changer that cost me $6, so I got ripped off. I have never had a problem with any of the monitors I have gotten, with the exception of one which I promptly smashed after the thrift store would not refund it. If you ask me, a monitor or LCD does not really affect your gaming performance, though having a frickin huge Dell LCD would be nice...
Jaiye
psycosquirrel wrote:
If you ask me, a monitor or LCD does not really affect your gaming performance

well, besides the fact that video cards are going to be a waste of money if you have a crappy monitor.

and from what you described, you've never really used a nice monitor, which isn't a bad thing cause neither had I until I dropped the load of cash on this monitor. It's like people always say, you can't miss something you've never had. But it would kill me to go back to a cheap monitor now.
psycosquirrel
If a crappy monitor is still displaying the same 1600x1200 pixels that a fancy LCD would, then why would it affect any difference in gaming? Laughing Anyways, in games, I usually drop to 1024x768 or lower for more quicker aiming. I have a decent graphics card (eVGA 5500 256mb) and I don't play any better on the Dell LCD's that my dad sometimes brings home from work...

Also, FYI, both my Viewsonic monitors are nice monitors. The flatpanel retails at about $150, and the other one retailled somewhere around that back in its day.
Clash
Jaiye wrote:
You may disregard what clash said about the dell monitor, you won't find this from anyone else.

I'll take you up on that bet Laughing

Give me the FCC id No. and If it's Dell manufactured I'll eat my keyboard Wink
psycosquirrel
Laughing

Dell, Compaq, etc simply assemble and resell components at a higher price. So Clash is probably right.
TheGeek
what monitor would you guys recommend for under 100 bucks, i would like something that is atleast 19" and preferable holds a native res of around 1280x1024 but that may be asking a little to much i think...

anyways, as for recommendations, sorry i dont really have one, right now im running a single emachines 17" CRT i got with my comp lol....(or what used to be an emachines....) anyway, ill also be running an Acer 15" CRT if my friend ever gives me back my DVI/VGA converter...
Urahara
Quote:
And as for needing an intense graphics card, that's not even a problem. I'm running it fine with an overclocked 6600 (not even the GT), and can get between 30-50 FPS in CS:S at the native resolution.

First of all, that monitor does look like a beast, nice.

If you average between 30-50 FPS, I have to say the following:

1. That is definately some playable performance, but CS:S runs on basically anything smoothly, and if you're not even hitting 60 on CS:S with just the native resolution, go figure =/

2. 60 and above FPS is where the games are most enjoyable at. If I had a monitor like that, I'd kill myself if I'm averging 30-50 FPS on such an easy game like CS:S with not even any AA/AF.

3. I would have bought a 19 or 20 inch LCD if I were you, and invested the rest on a good graphics card to enjoy the monitor to its max potential.

4. As a side note, how much delay you got on that beasty monitor? Compared to a 4ms one, is that really the best gaming monitor? At WCG 2005 Finals we used 19" 4ms LCDs, just to show you what the professional competitions use.
psycosquirrel
TheGeek wrote:
what monitor would you guys recommend for under 100 bucks, i would like something that is atleast 19" and preferable holds a native res of around 1280x1024 but that may be asking a little to much i think...

anyways, as for recommendations, sorry i dont really have one, right now im running a single emachines 17" CRT i got with my comp lol....(or what used to be an emachines....) anyway, ill also be running an Acer 15" CRT if my friend ever gives me back my DVI/VGA converter...

Ted, you can't buy a monitor new for under 100 bucks. GG. We will go thrift-storing this weekend. I see monitors nicer than yours every time I go. BTW- if you see this b4 tomorrow, I'm not at the Couch in the morning because of a dentist's appointment Evil or Very Mad
TheGeek
ok, thats cool, we can go get something nice this weekend. and damn you for not being there this morning, we had a 7 way mario kart LAN going and it was mayhem as usual.

Anyways, sorry, back on topic:
to the guy who posted further up about getting 30-50 FPS on CS:S

Im sorry, but 30-50 FPS on that game with a 6600 much less and OCed 6600 is far from good. Im getting those frame rates in doom 3 running high quality at my native res of 1024x768 and i have a OCed FX5500 128MB card. In CS:S im not sure what i will get because i havent played it yet, but in CS1 i get over 300 FPS @ 1280x1024.

How much RAM do you have, that may actually be your bottle neck if your not running much. Otherwise there is no reason you should get only around 30 FPS on CS:S
Jaiye
the respone time is 12ms, not the best but far from bad.

And about my FPS, I like having a lot of settings on high. FPS might be lower but the game is beautiful. only sunk to 30 in the newer maps also, like nuke was tough when it came out. of course I could stare at a wall and get 200+.

I have a gig of kingston hyper-x, I know my computer and right now the video card is the bottleneck.

and I phrased it wrong, should have said 30-50 is the lowest it gets. I stopped playing games a few months ago so my numbers were a bit off. Yes, on dust or dust 2 I could usually keep around 75-100, aztec with the water would slow it down a bit more, as would others.

And TheGeek, when comparing fps, you have to remeber I'm running it with DX9. If I were to lower it down to DX8 like your card supports, the numbers would fly.
Xcelerate
Good size and resolution is important, although I think that type of monitor makes more of a difference. I still like CRT monitors because they still provide the best picture quality. Soon they're coming out with thin CRTs (something about carbon nanotubes) and I think I would rather have one of those (if they're cheap) than an LCD.
Sebaci
Xcelerate wrote:
Good size and resolution is important, although I think that type of monitor makes more of a difference. I still like CRT monitors because they still provide the best picture quality. Soon they're coming out with thin CRTs (something about carbon nanotubes) and I think I would rather have one of those (if they're cheap) than an LCD.

Aren't you joking? Flat CRTs Question Very Happy Very Happy It would be great.
psycosquirrel
a flat CRT... would be odd... Especially because they would have new names, because if a monitor weighs under 20lbs, it is NOT a CRT Laughing
martindecorte
All this posts talk about the screen's size... personally I find it quite difficult to play on a screen above 19". I have my laptop 15" and a CRT 19", and it's really disturbing when I use the "big" 19" to play. But maybe it's just a question of habit...

Anyway, I never really saw any difference in the answer time of all recent monitors. Maybe I have bad eyes, or maybe the difference is just not discernable for the human eye ? But the placebo effect can make a lots, that's for sure.

If I have to give my opinion, my favourite playing screen is mine, 15" SXGA (1400x1050), unknown manufacturer Wink Actually I don't really care Razz
Kd527
I really love Apple's 30 inch Cinema HD Display. Smile It really is nice though.
Xcelerate
Hmm... actually I guess they aren't as thin as I thought I remembered:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/whatsnew/e79e0e0796b84010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Anyway, they're getting there.
kjuvale
I think samsung syncmaster 793mb or syncmaster 798mb plus or their 19" series are very good. I am using samsung syncmaster 798mb plus and it is best for gaming and also for other stuff.

This monitor have good colour reproductuion .
Sachsengulli
Anything which is not widescreen, and has a reaction time of <12 ms.
time_ar
Well, it depends on what games you play.

LCD is good for games that donot refresh too fast.

CRT is still the best for FPS.

william wrote:
william
Well, I would change my mind about this Dell. I've searched many sites and still can't find the respond time. If it's over 5-6 ms, I may reconsider. Though, for a multimedia computer, this Dell is great.