FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

America must act now to save hubble telescope.

Ressurrector
America Must Act Now
To Save Hubble

By Ted Twietmeyer
tedtw@frontiernet.net
3-16-6

Would you take your car to the junk yard - simply because IT RAN OUT OF GAS?

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT NASA IS PLANNING TO DO WITH THE BILLION DOLLAR HUBBLE !

(Perhaps the title of this should be "NASA - More Money Than Brains?")

I wrote about this (and other space programs) almost one year ago, at http://www.rense.com/general65/voy.htm.

Hubble Space Telescope

With a space program that's had so many Monumental Screw-ups - can we afford to dump a first-class working instrument like Hubble?

This orbiting observatory brought us tens of thousands of images at very high resolution.

We have learned:

* To see the edge of the known universe, to a point so far that no starlight is seen past that point

* Where millions of stars are that were never known before

* That galaxies are moving away from one another, often in clusters at the edge of the universe. This was unknown before.

* Where stellar nurseries are, showing us stars in various states of formations

* How to develop new imaging technologies that can survive the rigors of orbital temperature extremes and radiation

* The galaxy is forever expanding, disproving the theory it will collapse to a point one day. This also casts doubt on the big-bang theory, too.

These are just a few of the things we have discovered that changed astronomy and physics - important facts that would never have been learned about otherwise.

The cost to simply re-fuel the spacecraft amounts to a very small part of NASA's multi-billion dollar budget. This could have been accomplished easily before the shuttle was grounded, but NASA in it's infinite "wisdom" decided otherwise. Federal deficits have reached previously unheard-of levels, and it's unlikely that anyone alive today will ever see another Hubble-type observatory launched. Now NASA's focus is on robotic exploration of our solar system.

Can we simply let Hubble be destroyed by de-orbiting it, incinerated in a ball of flame like a meteor? We will lose the chance to obtain more science and discoveries? Remember, Hubble can see all around it in space as it orbits the earth - in every conceivable direction.

Let's all bug the heck out of NASA about this travesty of science. Don't let them make you think that ground-based telescope technology has made Hubble "obsolete." We have yet to see images from the ground-based astronomy community better than those from Hubble.

If you haven't watched the astounding collection of images at http://hytaipan.home.comcast.net/hubble640.html you should

do so.

Ted Twietmeyer

His www.bookonmars.info provides details about a startling and revealing book about artifacts imaged by the rovers close to the cameras on Mars, and not from orbit. He is a former defense and NASA contractor, engineer, advanced science researcher and inventor and holds a patent on parallel optical backplane technology. He is also a frequent contributor to rense.com, with a 20 year background in aerospace, defense systems and instrumentation. Mr. Twietmeyer is also researching science topics largely ignored by mainstream science, and all are designed for the public to participate in at http://www.data4science.net.
Vrythramax
I must be slipping, I hadn't heard that there were more problems with the Hubble, nor anything about NASA scraping it. I was under the impression that it (the Hubble) was going to be around for a very long time.
nopaniers
Yes, I know! I find this absolutely unbelieveable too. How can you scap Hubble?! It's absolutely crazy. Everyone wants time on it. We need more Hubbles not less. In fact I read in Nature that the US government is cutting a lot of the scientfic program of NASA. Might it have something to do with the recent disputes about greenhouse? In any case it is false economy: Scrapping Hubble once you have it is much more of a loss than building one from scratch. And long term it is wrong too: Science research pays off. It has done time and time again, and it will do again in the future.

I'm not a US citizen and they can do what they like with their tax-payer's money, but I think scrapping Hubble is crazy.
Blaster
Why would you want to just get rid of a billion dollar website? I will take it Razz That would look good out my window. But really getting rid of a billion dollar telescope is just wrong. About 90% of that money probley comes from our taxes anyway. Seriously we are going into another great depression. We are just throwing away our money.
Soulfire
A while ago I heard that there were plans to crash the Hubble on another planet and launch a newer telescope, but I can't really confirm or disprove it.
Vrythramax
@Soulfire

That sounds about right, crash it and cover it up by saying it was "a technical error (read "Human Error") and it a terrible tragedy...and a great loss to NASA"...then immediatly start looking for funding for a replacement. The American dream perverted once again. I do hope that it's not true, all that money wasted, and only to have to shell out even more $$$ for the replacement.
Blaster
If they really want to get rid of it then just give it to me. Just say someone stole it Razz It is rediculas. They really dont' need it. If they need a new telescope then i need a new body. Confused
ocalhoun
Perhaps its a conspiracy...
They could refuel it, tell everyone that they sent it down into a remote part of the pacific, turn it around 180 degrees, and hand it over to the military. I'm sure it would make a fine spy satelite.
Bikerman
LOL...As usual the truth is a little more prosaic.
The hubble was designed to be serviced by the shuttle. The shuttle has now been retired, therefore there is no space vehicle currently available to service the Hubble and, like any machinery, it requires periodic maintenance. The last service was in 2009, and nobody can now say if/when the possibility will next arise.

I don't believe that NASA are planning to crash the Hubble, but I would expect them to plan for decommissioning (I know that sounds contradictory but it isn't).

Don't get me wrong - I have been, and remain a huge Hubble fan and advocate. I would rather see any new money going into the James Webb Space Telescope, however, since this will offer a step-change in space astronomy.
deanhills
I'm a bit confused. This thread is from 2006. Bikerman is there any specific discussion you want us to pursue?
Confused
loremar
I think the Hubble should be obselete. We need more capability. A new upgrade should be better. It would be a complete waste of money to fund an old technology.
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
I'm a bit confused. This thread is from 2006. Bikerman is there any specific discussion you want us to pursue?
Confused

No, I just found it ironic that discussion hasn't moved on. There are still people claiming that NASA intends to deliberately crash Hubble next year, despite NASA saying otherwise....
It is also getting nearer to completion with the replacement which is very exciting.
mahirh
AFAIK it runs on solar energy then why does it need any refueling and as for why this past has risen from the grave, i blame the Similar topics box
Bikerman
Any orbit is unstable. It needs occasional rocket thrusts to correct the orbit, otherwise the orbit decays and it re-enters. That won't happen anytime soon though, it is in a very distant orbit.
More importantly, kit wears out - even in space (actually, particularly in space). Each of the components will have been put together with an estimated MTBF (mean time before failure) and the overall mission would have also had a 'design life'. It currently stands at 2013. After that time the telescope will decay because there will be no service missions (it was designed to be serviced from the shuttle). It might last years longer, or a vital component might fail fairly quickly - nobody really knows. I suspect the gyros will fail first....
Originally NASA planned to bring it back to earth using the shuttle - that is no longer an option. Once the orbit has decayed significantly it then becomes a health and safety matter. They will probably use a robotic craft, launched from Arianne or a Chinese/Japanese rocket, to guide it into re-entry and crash it into the ocean.
tingkagol
Bikerman wrote:
Don't get me wrong - I have been, and remain a huge Hubble fan and advocate. I would rather see any new money going into the James Webb Space Telescope, however, since this will offer a step-change in space astronomy.

Just read it's probably going to be launched past 2020, and it's currently valued at $6.8 billion. Shocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope#Reported_cost_and_schedule_issues
Bikerman
And I've just heard that Congress are apparently threatining to pull the plug on the whole project.....