FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Problems

Scotty Too Hotty
Any of you techno guiniouses out there will have a good laugh at this, I know lots of people have already had a really good laugh at my expnese from this so why not share it with more people.

So here i am Last wedensday (10 days ago) and i am getting ready for work in the morning when my doorbell rings. I answer it and much to my delight the UPS truck is in my Driveway and he is standing at my door. So the delivery guy, my good buddy Al, is there, and is like hey Tim i have got your package. I'm like sweet.

This package has in it my DVD Burner and RAM that i ordered online 5 days prior.

So i sign for the package and take it upstairs where i unpack it. I look at the time and decide that i have enough time to install and test the RAM to see if it is good.

So i open up my case, and i take out my old 256 MB Stick and i Jam my 2 Brand New 512 Sticks into the 2 appropriate slots on the motherboard. Due to the lack of visibility due to the placement of my Video Card, i am unable to see the slots real well and assume they are in all the way and properly.

Much to my surprise once pressing the power button, (wth the case still open) i am greated not by the "comforting" Windows XP logo but rather by a Spark and a nice Funnel of smoke emitting from my MotherBaord.

So i quickly powerdown and much to my surprise i notice the RAM is not fully inserted. (it was backwards)....
**INSERT LAUGH NOW**
So i have turned off my PC. And i Fullyinsert the RAM properly, and now all my mother board is doing is Beeping. So i am a bit annoyed at this point. But i cannot even attempt to fix it as i muxt now leave for work.

The next day (after having a horrible WEdensday) i run to a local computershop as i do not fdeel like waiting for an online order to come in the mail. I go looking for a motherboard, of which they have none appropriate for my socket type. Now even mrore upset he places one on order and thats Fine. I goto work again. The next Day (Friday) i am off work and i am lazing around at home when much to my surprise i recieve a phoone call from the computer shop. They have received a motherboard that will work perfectly for me.

I go quickly and pick it up. I Bring it home and dis-assemble my PC on the Kitchn Table. I take my old motherboard out and attempt to install my new one, when again Much to my surprise, IT DOES NOT FIT
**INSERT LAUGH HERE**
I call the computer shop again and ask when they are open till and they are open till 7. I quickly run and buy a new Case (this is a 30 minute drive for me). I bring it home, completly assemble and go to put my old heat sink on. BAM. It is too big.
**INSERT LAUGH HERE**
So now it is after 7, the shop is closed, and i am heading out. I go out, and get really loaded. Because i did this, i wasnt able to goto the Shop on Saturday as i was not feeling real well and had to work anyways. So i wait, and the shop was not open on Sunday. So on monday,, i finnally go up to the Shop and get a used heat sink and now i am Running.

Somehow i miraculously didnt fry my RAM. Oh well at least i am pleased now.

Animal wrote:
Frihost Forum Rules wrote:
2 (c) - Do not attempt to cuss or bypass the filter. Bypassing the filter may result in your entire post getting snipped.
Hobbit
Hahaha that must have sucked. I know exactly how it feels, I feel your pain(not true).
Scorpio
You certainly had one hell of a bad hair day.

Certainly wish you better luck for the future with your system. LOL
lukeropro
Yeah scotty, that must have been painful for you! I know how it feels when there's a problem with your computer. Basically, I'm half-nerd and I totally feel worried for my computer when there's a problem with it as if it's a living thing. I treat my computer as a close friend and I use it at least once a day to check my mail or to just browse a few websites when I'm bored. Better luck next time! Very Happy
traumatized
hahaha, my teacher always tells me, who cares how long it takes, just make sure its done right. but i b et u wasted alot of money, and alot of ur time, which sucks.
Jack_Hammer
I bet you'll be a hell of a lot more careful when taking your computer apart next time huh?, lol.
Wink
Vrythramax
Now that's a bad time Sad

I keep a baseball bat handy for just such occasions Smile
Scotty Too Hotty
yeah i wasted a lot of money on it, and well a lot of time to, i never realised how dependant i was on my computer until i didnt have it. The only thing that was a bonus in all this is,
**PREPARE TO LAUGH AT ME**
My computer was a DELL, but now its not, and i am extremely happy about that. LOL. And also like 2 weeks ago i finnally got around to using partition magic to partition some drives, so i didnt loose much information at all with this mistake just time and money!
Landreski
But was it a "jellyfish bad" kind of day? My sister sent me the email below. Many of you may have seen this already, but it really crackes me up.

This is even funnier when you realize it's real! (Idon't know if it is really real or not)
Quote:
>Next time you have a bad day at work...think of this guy.
>Rob is a commercial saturation diver for Global Divers.
>He performs underwater repairs on offshore drilling rigs.
>Below is an E-mail he sent to his sister.
>She then sent it to radio station 103.2 on FM dial in Ft. Wayne,
>Indiana, who was sponsoring a worst job experience contest. Needless
>to say, she won.

>Hi Sue,
>
>Just another note from your bottom-dwelling brother. Last week I had a
>bad day at the office. I know you've been feeling down lately at work,
>so I thought I would share my dilemma with you to make you realize
>it's not so bad after all. Before I can tell you what happened to me, I
>first must bore you with a few technicalities of my job. As you know,
>my office lies at the bottom of the sea. I wear a suit to the office.
>It's a wetsuit. This time of year the water is quite cool. So what we
>do to keep warm is this: We have a diesel powered industrial water
>heater.
>This $20,000 piece of equipment sucks the water out of the sea. It
>heats it to a delightful temperature. It then pumps it down to the
>diver through a garden hose, which is taped to the air hose. Now this
>sounds like a darn good plan, and I've used it several times with no
>complaints. What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is
>take the hose and stuff it down the back of my wetsuit. This floods my
>whole suit with warm water. It's like working in a Jacuzzi. Everything
>was going well until all of a sudden, my butt started to itch. So, of
>course, I scratched it. This only made things worse. Within a few
>seconds my butt started to burn. I pulled the hose out from my back,
>but the damage was done. In agony I realized what had happened. The
>hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish and pumped it into my suit.
>Now, since I don't have any hair on my back, the jellyfish couldn't
>stick to it. However, the crack of my butt was not as fortunate. When
>I scratched what I thought was an itch, I was actually grinding the
>jellyfish into the crack of my butt. I informed the dive supervisor of
>my dilemma over the communicator His instructions were unclear due to
>the fact that he, along with five other divers, were all laughing
>hysterically. Needless to say I aborted the dive. I was instructed to
>make three agonizing in-water decompression stops totaling thirty-five
>minutes before I could reach the surface to begin my BR chamber dry
>decompression. When I arrived at the surface, I was wearing nothing
>but my brass helmet. As I climbed out of the water, the medic, with tears
>of laughter running down his face, handed me a tube of cream and told
>me to rub it on my butt as soon as I got in the chamber. The cream put
>the fire out, but I couldn't poop for two days because my butt was
>swollen shut.
>So, next time you're having a bad day at work, think about how much
>worse it would be if you had a jellyfish shoved up your butt. Now
>repeat to yourself, "I love my job, I love my job, I love my job."

>Now whenever you have a bad day, ask yourself, is this a jellyfish bad
>day?

Animal wrote:
Use quote tags next time you copy&paste another source
Scotty Too Hotty
thanks for the edit animal, next time i will be more mindful!