FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unhide Your Administrator Icon

ChargerBear
In Windows XP the Administrator Icon only appears if you log on in safe mode. Well I'm gonna tell ya how to make it appear on your screen in the normal logon screen.

This involves editing the registry. As always make a restore point before editing the registry. To do this hit start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. Follow directions.

This didn't work on my laptop. I don't have service pack 1 or 2 on it. I'm pretty sure this is why it didn't work, but don't know for sure.

Click start, then run. Type in regedit. hit F3. Type in userlist. Click OK. Look in the right window. If you see ADMINISTRATOR double click the Icon and change the value to 1. If you dont see it, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. It was not there on either of my computers. If it's not there right click an empty spot in the right pane, go to new. Select DWord. Type in ADMINISTRATOR and click OK. Double click on the icon next to ADMINISTRATOR change the value to 1. The next time you reboot you should see the ADMINISTRATOR icon on the login screen. You will be able to set policies from non safe mode windows.

If for some reason find didn't take you to the right place when you typed userlist. The full path is; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT \Current Version\Winlogon\Special Accounts\Userlist. And THAT'S why I like to use find in the registry editor.[/i]
RiCtee
There's also some other values (hex):

0 - hide the account from the User Accounts window (control panel > User Accounts) and the alternate User Accounts dialog (run > control userpasswords2).
65536 - only hidden from the User Accounts window.

But you can't hide the accounts from the Local Users and Groups (run > lusrmgr.msc). You can also login to the Administrator account by pressing Ctrl-Del-Del to access the "old" login screen.
Bones
My question is, why would you want to use the admin account on a daily basis? It is hidden for a reason.

It really comes in handy if you happpen to trash your regular user profile.
Boot to safe mode, log into the admin profile, create a new profile, then copy the user data from the old profile to the new one.

If you only have the admin acct on your pc and you trash that acct, then good luck.
SoftStag
It is bad practice to use the Administrator account on a regular basis. If this becomes corrupt in any way you could have big problems. Always have a user with Administrative rights and keep the Administrator login for troubleshooting only.
KHO
Admin accounts should not connect to the internet Neutral this is my theory for windows Neutral. So why would you even want to touch that account besides to recover from death? And besides, if you are smart and use the NT style logins, then you can login as that account without messing with anything Neutral the only reason l would even get in that account in the first place is to set a secure password on it Neutral. l have dabbled in whitehat hacking, and l know firsthand that if someone has a 8-14 digit password, then l will just give up and move on. There is no point because a brute force hack on a 8 digit password that is case-sensitive with special characters will take at least 3 years Neutral but since the Admin account on most computers is unprotected, that is where hackers always strike, people are always forgetting (or sometimes don't know in the first place) about their admin account Neutral.

l reccommend you do as l do, l always use a Power User account, these are far more usefull as they can still install software with a trusted signature, but Malware is never signed, so you are relatively safe, and it is alot less of a hassel than using a limited account. Plus if a hacker tries to take control of you, you are still alot safer than with an administrator account Neutral.
SoftStag
KHO wrote:
Admin accounts should not connect to the internet Neutral this is my theory for windows Neutral. So why would you even want to touch that account besides to recover from death? And besides, if you are smart and use the NT style logins, then you can login as that account without messing with anything Neutral the only reason l would even get in that account in the first place is to set a secure password on it Neutral. l have dabbled in whitehat hacking, and l know firsthand that if someone has a 8-14 digit password, then l will just give up and move on. There is no point because a brute force hack on a 8 digit password that is case-sensitive with special characters will take at least 3 years Neutral but since the Admin account on most computers is unprotected, that is where hackers always strike, people are always forgetting (or sometimes don't know in the first place) about their admin account Neutral.

l reccommend you do as l do, l always use a Power User account, these are far more usefull as they can still install software with a trusted signature, but Malware is never signed, so you are relatively safe, and it is alot less of a hassel than using a limited account. Plus if a hacker tries to take control of you, you are still alot safer than with an administrator account Neutral.

KHO, you are absolutely right. Windows is very insecure and the vast majority of users use accounts with Administrator rights. Sadly the only XP users that know about using restricted accounts to improve security are the ones who can fix problems that can occur from security breaches, so many of them take the risk. Microsoft should take a leaf out of the Linux book and train people to take more responsibility for their PC's security.
Bones
I agree that Windows has it's share of security flaws, but Microsoft should train people to take more responsibility??
That's like saying that Ford should train people to fix their cars when they break.
It's the end user's responsibility to educate themselves.
SoftStag
Bones wrote:
I agree that Windows has it's share of security flaws, but Microsoft should train people to take more responsibility??
That's like saying that Ford should train people to fix their cars when they break.
It's the end user's responsibility to educate themselves.

Fair point, but Linux promote users not to use the root login except where necessary. Securtiy is promoted as a priority, Microsoft promote functionality and wash over important issues of best practice that help users. Actions like this would reduce the number of problems users have and give much more confidence in Windows as a reliable, safe operating system. Microsoft provide a manual with XP, would it be so difficult to explain security issues, after all I bet Ford have something about using the alarm and and other security features on their cars in the user manuals....
Bones
I agree..all software should come with well written manuals..unfortunately, you're lucky to even get a jewel case anymore Sad