FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Potato Guns

mikenice
Who else here builds them?
paul_indo
Did it a long time ago. Not for a few years now though.
Heaps of fun but a bit dangerous if you aren't careful. Specially if the damn potatoe lands on someones car.
nodnarb5050
Potato guns are awesome ,bro. I've made quite a few in my day. I had one that was really small ans it launched red potatos=]
Vrythramax
I know of a couple of MIT alumni who built a melon cannon in school and the darn thing could shoot a melon the length of a football field! Brilliant minds with too much time on thier hands Smile
Gieter
Vrythramax wrote:
I know of a couple of MIT alumni who built a melon cannon in school and the darn thing could shoot a melon the length of a football field! Brilliant minds with too much time on thier hands Smile

I've read an article on those melon canons a few years ago. They didn't shoot the length of a football field, but some miles I think! Shocked They hold contests, and the only condition is that you may not use explosives to fires the melons of. And the canons they use, need a truck to get to the place of contest. Now that's a real pastime at least. Wink
Vrythramax
Gieter wrote:
I've read an article on those melon canons a few years ago. They didn't shoot the length of a football field, but some miles I think! Shocked They hold contests, and the only condition is that you may not use explosives to fires the melons of. And the canons they use, need a truck to get to the place of contest. Now that's a real pastime at least. Wink

Some of the funniest things I have ever seen were the Competitions held by the Engineering Dept. at MIT, those people are just plain crazy! I had enough on my hands with a 21 credit course load, full-time job, and a girlfriend to have any real time for myself let alone time to design, fabricate, and test some of the things they made. Way too funny to watch though, they air some of those cometitions on the Science Channel here in the US sometimes...keep an eye out for them...very entertaining Smile
neumo
I made some back in the day, but more recently a friend of mine told me a good potato gun story. He was working at a company (that shall remain nameless) that made some pretty hefty machines, so they had a machine shop to handle the day-to-day needs of their engineers doing testing, prototyping, etc. My friend had sent some drawings down to the shop, expecting the parts back in a day or so, but comes to find out there will be a few day delay because the CEOof the company has the shop backed up making potato guns! A few weeks pass, and he happens to be in the CEO's office and what does he see? A picture of the CEO and George W. Bush brandishing some pretty hefty potato guns. I'm sure they had a delightful time.
jabapyth
Ive heard about them, but never tried to make one.
Sounds fun, though.
gh0stface
One of my good buddies actually built one. These potato guns are insane. If you built them correctly, they can go through pieces of plywood and do some damage. Shocked
zhangleisk
what is potato gun?
master_coder

a potato gun is a gas or air propelled weapon that shoots potatoes, tennis balls, softballs or some other hard substance out of a big pvc pipe with amazing and outstanding air pressure. basically a big ass nerf gun. (sorry for language)
Mr Smith
I used to be in the local scout group (aww... how cute :$)

At one of the scout camps we got to use a spud gun, it was really fun. Magically one of the people finally hit the target they were aiming for, however it looks very hard to use nowadays (Their so big!)...

Good old times, I would love to know how to make one, knowing all what you use for ammo is flyspray/hairspray and spuddies.
Vrythramax
I ahd some frinds who builf a flaming tennis ball gun....you should seen the havoc that created Smile
triggerhappy
i have never tried using a potota gun but one time i tried to make one but it ended in a mess i cleaned it up Smile
mw91
me and my mate made one a few months back and tricked it out with spray paint and an electronic trigger. Havent used it in a while weve been trying to lay low since we broke a neighbours satelite dish. Embarassed
Josso
Aw man, those things were sweet. I'm sure I had a couple, completly forgot about them.
philipbool
I never fired a potato gun, but when I was in VentureScouts (like normal scouts but older, so with alcohol...) we built a bomb in an old gas canister. We blew it up under a tree, and found shreds of the canister 300 metres away. That was fun.
eldarian
err... what is "potato gun"? tell me please!
Josso
eldarian wrote:
err... what is "potato gun"? tell me please!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+potato+gun&meta=
eldarian
Ah, this... I'm not keen of this. Petards "BlackDeath" is greater thing then this. If you put it in somewho's cowl... Twisted Evil
ludio_
master_coder wrote:

a potato gun is a gas or air propelled weapon that shoots potatoes, tennis balls, softballs or some other hard substance out of a big pvc pipe with amazing and outstanding air pressure. basically a big *** nerf gun. (sorry for language)

When I opened the thread I was thinking about a small handgun type of thing I had when I was young that was basically a little pump which you loaded by digging a pellet of out of a potato with the muzzle and fired by squeezing the two halves together. The pellet shot out with a good amount of force and many of us were lucky we didn't lose an eye when firing it at each other. Maybe the things you guys are talking about should more properly be called potato cannons or mortars.
Blaster
Potatoguns are so much fun. When we dont' have potatos tomatos and onions work just as well Razz My friends brother made one and we shoot it all the time.
sgtmajore9
Many years ago, in a very small town in Arkansas we had nothing better to do, so we took the old steel bean cans, and made a canon to shoot tennis balls, never had so much fun, our local harded head boys and girls took a few of these launchers and headed to the football field to have war.. funnist thing you ever saw.. best game of tag you ever saw, many brused peeps that day..

Vince