FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dancingbear
i think 1894 is the best books of all time. i mean it teaches you some many important things i think it should be required by law to be read atleast once
crdowner
I read it years ago and recall it being a good book. I do not remember much of the detail though. At any rate, I do not think any book should be required reading by law regardless of how good it is.
AftershockVibe
Heh, I know you were joking, but wouldn't you saying it being required to read a book by law be the exact 1984 ideal that the book warns against?

War is peace brother.
netthug
I read it a few years ago and i found it to be quite a good book.
1984 is a representation of the horrific world which could lie ahead if a state become way too powerful and controlling {more so then a communist state} It was definitetly a good read and id reccomend it to anyone. Very Happy
djcaution
teehee that's the year I was born. I read that book as part of my high school or junior high english class
netthug
lol. i was born six years after. I think the ideas in the story are good for someone who was writing in 1948 lol
Idoru
Well, what can I say but agree?
George Orwell, a brilliant mind with many thoughtfull Idea

Animal-farm is just as nice, and easier.
Djim
1984 it's one of my favorite books, i think it's a very good distopya about one of the possible futur yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Epsilon
I read it awhile ago, and I liked it, but if I remember correctly, Animal Farm blew it away.
alienjones
I also recommend anyone interested in society and future reading "The Third Wave" by Alvin Toffler. In his book Toffler describes three types of societies, based on the concept of three 'waves' - each wave pushes the older societies and cultures aside. The Third Wave is the post-industrial society - countries like France, Germany, Japan and the USA have problems changing over into this society nowadays. Though written almost 26 years ago the discussed social items are still up-to-date.
9/10 NME
If you combine bits of Orwell's 1984 and Burgess's A Clockwork Orange you have a somewhat extreme view of today's Britain.
Assiez
Interesting, I just finished reading 1984 for the second time a couple of days ago. I love that book, the ideas that it present are still useful to today's society (perhaps even more so).

1984 doubleplusgood. Persons doubleread now.

Yay for a horrible attempt at newspeak. Wink
beetlejuice
I remember that when I read 1984 the first time I was real scared when I recognized all the similarities to the society in which I lived (Sweden). I agree that the book should be recommended reading (not by law, though!) in schools.
tkGER
This book is excelent. I really liked the message, altough it's a bit discouraging at the end (those who haven't read it yet, stop reading or I might spoil the end... and meanwhile, go and get that book!), as he was turned by the system... I think I just wanted him to die heroically or something of the kind... I don't think it would have been realistic if he 'd dismantled the system, as one man alone can do nothing, he should 've found some followers first to star a real revolution.
But anyway, it leaves you thinking
eliantokaos
tkGER wrote:
This book is excelent. I really liked the message, altough it's a bit discouraging at the end (those who haven't read it yet, stop reading or I might spoil the end... and meanwhile, go and get that book!), as he was turned by the system... I think I just wanted him to die heroically or something of the kind... I don't think it would have been realistic if he 'd dismantled the system, as one man alone can do nothing, he should 've found some followers first to star a real revolution.
But anyway, it leaves you thinking

Hello, I am new here, but I am quite happy to find Posts about literature and more happy to find posts about George Orwell. I am Italian, so please forgive me if my english is not so good.

"Orwellian" is... nothing more than the world in which we're living: a obtuse and uniform world where every aspect of life is controlled and organized by the State. Just think on it and instead of thinking on the common meaning of "State", think on Multinational of Petrol: this is the new State, something much more powerful of the same national States. And, if you want to take the other bold words: what is Globalization other than the exact beginning of the uniformity against which Orwellin wanted to warn us? Just stop for a moment and try to spend some time to have a look to the current geopolitical situation. I think you would be surprised.

If you liked this book, I would like to suggest you (and all the other who "enjoyed" the reading of it): Aldous Huxley Brave New World and Ray Bradbury's Fahreneit 451.

Then, again, stop for a while, and try to get the big picture of what is going on in our world...
Victus13
I read the book in Gr.12 English. Having heard so much about it when I had the chance I picked it up.
I was very impressed, amazed and scared.

The reading was a little dry at first, at least from what I'm used to. Took me alot longer to read that book than any other before it, but I got it done.

Some of the similarites that it had, to what we are now.. was almost disturbing.

I do have to agree, that it should be something read in schools. It's... enlightening at the very least.

Smile
kohlrabe
Hopefully this book will never be read in school, because reading a book in school create in me already a hate on the author. I mean I already enjoyed the reading, but explaining all the stylistic element in their meaning and intention its boring, and it is impossible to if the author thougt the same, or sought at all about this. Look on Brave new world we read in English lesson, made a theater play about the first chapters, when the leader explains all the processes to create alphas, betas, ... , epsilons. It is just stupid, because we had to change the meaning of the chapter, as all of us had to speak the same text amount, so the students had t oinform about what´s going one in this section - didn´t really show their programmed way. And then think about any assignments when teachers asks you about the particular meaning about a special passage, and you have not the common thinking, what bad grade you´ll get.

A GOOD BOOK NEEDS NOT TO BE ADVERTISED IN SCHOOL, LOOK ON KARL MAY, NEVER READ IN SCHOOL, NUT STILL COMMON READ.
Spyware
I am currently reading Animal Farm, pretty interesting book, if you understand the metaphors that is.
hades9366
What can I say a brilliant book. I think it's worth encouraging people to read it, but forcing them is pointless. No point in giving pearls to swine as the saying goes, but more honestly I do agree that forcing people to learn read or absorb something, no matter how important it might be, will often destroy any chance of them appreciating that information.

If you like Orwell's allegorical style of writing then try: Aldous Huxley, John Steinbeck or perhaps a more modern writer Jose Saramago.
tuncay
Simply great book, a must read along with "Animal Farm" by the same author known by the pen name George Orwell.
Biodiesel
AftershockVibe wrote:
Heh, I know you were joking, but wouldn't you saying it being required to read a book by law be the exact 1984 ideal that the book warns against?

Yeah, I would have to agree.
sunpascal
dancingbear wrote:
i think 1894 is the best books of all time. i mean it teaches you some many important things i think it should be required by law to be read atleast once

lol - if you want to force people to read a book, then you obviously didn't get the point of the book....
Arseniy
This book is about communism, there's no doubt. In this way Orwell wanted to make West people afraid of USSR and their allies. That's why he so overstated range of communism in this book.
For me living in Ukraine when all around is remembered communism, is just funny to read it.
*so stupid...*
Cephalic_Carnage
I just finished reading this book, and I thought it was truely one excellent peace of literature, and I am not to into reading. What mainly kept me glued to it was the philosiphy behind it, what O' Brien was doing to Winston in book 3 was pure genius to me. The way he uses doublethink , the philosiphy behind the party, the way they cure people and defect them to the party.
drdestiny
animal farm was a better book Very Happy
peter117
I found 1984 to be possibly the most thought provoking book I've read; it's depiction of this desolate and totalitarian future is shocking yet also engrossing; and it raises many different issues on the nature of state control.
ratface
hey,

i read 1984 just a few weeks ago, i loved it!

i thought its characters were brilliant and enjoyed relating the book to the television show big brother

i though it was interesting how in the book he wrote that the thought police always got you at night time, and a person always leaves the big brother house at night time. weird huh?

i like the way the book ended, it was really open ended but it was kind of satisfying. I thought that the messages are relevant to our society..who knew that the world Orwell envisioned could become a reality, though not in such a dramatic sense, but when you think of everything in perspective, terrorism, politcal powers, the media the world we live in is almost worse than the one Orwell crafted in 1984.
angelussum
not a bad book. goes well with some of the other books of its type, like brave new world. i liked animal farm a lot too.
glabase
I've heard it's a real good read! a lot of people in my former school read it. i've just bought a copy and i'm gonna start readin it tonight... looks really good though. Cool
TymonBlueSword
I read that in my high school freshman year. I didn't really like it that much, but we also read Animal Farm, and that was a lot better. It had a lot of allusions to the real life USSR happenings back then, and I thought that was really cool. 1984 just had too much unneccessary and graphic immorality in it. That could have been done without.
sondosia
I read Animal Farm last year (my freshman year), too. But I think that 1984 is more important to read in schools and I wonder why we don't. I mean, it's not like we never read books with mature content, and this book makes really good use of it. Also, it paints a much more vivid image of what it's like to live under an oppressive government than any history textbook could. And isn't that what's important to prevent such a regime from ever occuring? At least, that's what I think.

~M~
Margalo
1984 is the type of book that changes a person’s outlook on life...though I think Orwell should work on his endings, not that It should be happy or anything but it seems a bit abrupt.

But forcing someone to read a book about fascism...a little hypocritical....
bonestorm74
I read this not too long ago and it's amazing how many terms and ideas have now filtered into the common language. A seminal piece in so many ways and a frightening glimpse into how wrong things could go.
darth_revan
George Orwell's masterpiece... May be the best book of all the time? Yes, for me! I reccomend it to all the people. It may wake them up and make them face the system. Does it really protect us?
roboguyspacedude
I read this book last year and it is quite good. It shows what might have happened if communism had taken over the world.
rubik
i read this book many times and i think it's really good. The version i read (im italian) is not the best. i like also animal farm.
tijn01
I am just reading 1984 now. But I have a sneaking suspicion I have read this book before, I remember bits of it...
So far it is good, and I can tell there will be a lot said in the book, but I can't quite get into it!
tingkagol
beetlejuice wrote:
I remember that when I read 1984 the first time I was real scared when I recognized all the similarities to the society in which I lived (Sweden). I agree that the book should be recommended reading (not by law, though!) in schools.

Sweden?

Although the book was extremely good, I can't really relate to it based on actual experience. How's it similar to your government? Just wondering.
mawfia
I would say 1984 is at the top of my list regarding totalitarianism and abuse of power. I would also have All the kings men, the Jungle, The Invisible Man as well...
TurtleShell
I read 1984 about 5 years ago... shortly after I graduated college. I never felt very passionately about it, but it was an excellent book. I hated the end though. when I say that, I don't mean that I felt like the ending was a disappointment...more like...it just was a difficult end to stomach. does that make sense?
applejunk
TurtleShell wrote:
I read 1984 about 5 years ago... shortly after I graduated college. I never felt very passionately about it, but it was an excellent book. I hated the end though. when I say that, I don't mean that I felt like the ending was a disappointment...more like...it just was a difficult end to stomach. does that make sense?

I hated the ending too....after all that effort to resist, he still gave in at the end. I felt like I had just wasted two days reading it lol. But honestly, I think that was the only way to end it in order to complete the story and make it as powerful as it is.
johanfh
I read this book a few times now, with some years between it. And the last time I read it I was surprised by the growing similarity between the book and our society. For example: we don't have a newscensoring authority but because everyone can change news on the internet (for example on wikipedia) with every edit it changes a little more, so to reflect what we remember of a specific (news)fact, and not the actual fact itself.
But someone mentioned here the books of José Saramago. Those books are indeed great if you like the subject Orwell wrote about.

JohanFH
Coffyfacemk2
Should be taught to every school kid everywhere. Then emphasize that it was written in 1948.

And any child who asks where davina mccall and the big brother housemates are should be sent down the mines...
poly
I agree that book is extremely good...
sunpascal
Spyware wrote:
I am currently reading Animal Farm, pretty interesting book, if you understand the metaphors that is.

Animal farm is a great peace of satire !

love it....
sunpascal
Also interesting is the book "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley.

In a way, it is a contrast to Orwells' "1984". Both depict a society in which the people are suppressed by their governments. The government essentially prevents their people from thinking independently and to express their own opinions.

However, the method that is used differs. In 1984, the government uses fear to archive this goal. People think that their nations is constantly under attack by some enemy nation and of course there is a common enemy of the state, whom every hates and is expected to hate.

In Brave New World, the people are also suppressed and the state actually is a non-democratic oligarchy. However, the people are kept from thinking and having their own opinions through constant entertainment. Life in "Brave New World" is only about having as much fun as possible. People cannot read books and are manipulated from the moment that they are born. Also, the state pays its workers in drugs, rather than in money.

I believe that Brave New World applies to most of the western countries much more than 1984, as it has to some extend already become reality. People aren't exactly concerned about politics and less and less people actually bother to vote. Also, people are much more addicted to entertainment as they used to be. Take PC games, movies, TV, even news: For example, tabloid newspapers try to entertain their readers rather than to objectively inform their readers.

Essentially people are distracted through excessive and constant entertainment so that they lose their interest and ability in thinking and expressing their opinions.

But 1984 is still relevant today, and not just in authoritarian regimes such as China.
In the USA the PATRIOT Act which pretty much reverses most constitutional rights (of which Americans are usually thought to be proud of...). It was passed shortly after 9/11. The method through which this law got passed is clearly fear. People were so scared, afraid that evil terrorists might destroy their beloved country so that they were ready to pay the price of their freedom.

Just some thoughts ;=)
sunpascal
I guess one could add that the reason that torture (so called "water boarding") is currently becoming popular in the US is also FEAR. People's fear of evil terrorists which has been increased by the state and a certain Mr bush, is simply being used to justify the violation of fundamental democratic rights.

The Deparment of Homeland Security should be called Deparment of Homeland Panic !
sunpascal
for those who question, that 1984 is still relevant in today's world:

the arm's race during the cold war is a perfect example of what happens when two nations make their decisions solely based on fear that the other might destroy them.

this should have been a lesson from which we should have learned...
whitehole
I read it over christmas break and I was so impressed by it's witty descriptions of a totalitarian society. It was a quick read too which was nice. I wish more people would read books like this and then decide on whether camaras at stop lights and other such 'big brother' ideas are really in their best interest or not. Anyone ready A Brave New world?
kiwi65
i love 1984!
uuuuuu
War is Peace.

Ignorance Is Strength.

Freedom is Slavery.

Here is the thing about 1984.

When I read the book, the world didn't seem nearly as @#^!# as it seems now. It was about 10 years ago.

Maybe someone who's been around the block a few more times than I have can answer this question for me.

Is the world appreciably more f%$^$ up now than it was 10 years ago, or am I just 10 years wiser now that I can actually see what's going on?

America, as an experiment in democracy, is failing -- unless the terms of the experiment are liberating the populace from its rights.

A quote that I read recently said it best:

1984 is not an instruction manual!

Remember:

War is Peace.

Ignorance Is Strength.

Freedom is Slavery.
loonix
Margalo wrote:
But forcing someone to read a book about fascism...a little hypocritical....

Rofl, good point. I read this a while back after hearing many many souls say how great it was. I must say I wasn't disappointed. It was definately DoublePlus Good. The concepts introduced in the book are very applicable to todays world. It is not so far fetched to consider our governments strive for ever increasing controls over the populace. Take 9/11 for example. A blatant example of a false flag operation if there ever was one which helped the US congress scrub out more of the ever decreasing constitution. There will be, I am sure, many more demonic & horrific false flag operations in the years to come, assisting the elites in assuming total control. Democracy IMHO is a utter sham. It is my belief that elections in the 'free' world are mainly predetermined by the elites, controllers of the world if you will. Bildeberger anyone?

Unfortunately I can only see society moving more and more toward '1984' realism as the years and decades roll on Sad

Where this would leave society and how we could ever reverse such a situation remains to be seen.
c'tair
Love the book, definitely a great read for everyone, although I already know that loads of people would call it just some mumbo jumbo science fiction rubbish... But as uuuuuuu quoted "1984 is not an instruction manual!", I think it would be a good one. It shows the mindset of a totalitarian governed state citizen:
one that lives not by himself but by the system, one who leaves his humanity and instead joins the system. He is not a human, he is part of the whole system, a gear in a huge machine.

Now, look around you, how many people actually behave like humans, like people? I dont see people being students, lawyers, drivers, I see students, lawyers, drivers sometimes being human. It's as if people aren't themselves anymore, they get a role, a job, and they become the role, the job. And it's getting worse.

Especially when your loved one goes shopping and says things like "This costs more, and is packaged better, it means it's alot better". Even though both product were made with the hands of malasyan peoples working for a bowl of rice a day, just the logo is a bit different.

Hail the 21st century!
Coclus
They should make this book compulsory for any social or political education...
fpwebs
The book I had to read for English class and it made me completly uncomfortable. I really don't like thinking about utopias and all of that kind of genre. It's really not my personal preference.... but I know some poeple that like it. don't get me wrong, i admire his sense of writing, but i really don't like those kind of books. sorry.
gtoroap
George Orwell made a great job with this futuristic book. 1984 was an idea of a world based on the reality of her time (1949). Remember, the world wars was so close that everybody in the world thought in a third war world soon. Fortunately, that don't ocurs.
lagoon
I think it really does warn against the very real possibility of a controlling system. The signs are already appearing in our surveillance culture. If a corrupt government got hold of power, we could very well end up in a world like 1984.

I agree that it is a very good book; maybe not the best ever. I would though recommend it to everyone at least once in their lives. It woke me up to the kind of life we might have lead if history had taken a very slightly different course.
thegoswebs
The book was ok when I read it. I had to read it for my English class for the year and it was kind of interesting to read. However, that kind of book is seriously not one of my favorite genres to read when I'm reading. It made me terribly uncomfortable when I read it since it had to do with utopias and what not and the supposed "Big Brother" watching over us. I understand the other's point... just like in his book Animal Farm, etc. however it still isn't one of my favorite books to read. I'm glad however that you liked reading it. I read that book 1984 and A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley for my class and it was alright but I really didn't like either one of those books.
pony987987
one of my favorite!
it is brutally good. it is so soficicatly made, and also the part about newspeak and so...
love this book