FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Design tips, and comments

Saber
A while ago I asked for ideas on a site for my college, Well after looking at some things and haveing to change others(not to my preference) This is what came out. www.academics.uww.edu/hperc Would any of you mind to give some suggestions on how to improve on this?

(school colors are white and purple)
LukeakaDanish
I really like the whole top banner...looks great...

The linkbar could use some improvement...it just looks "cheep" right now...try using a gradient as background instead of a plain colour.

The "position bar", which is just under the top banner gives unwanted space between the top banner and the linkmenu...my suggestion is moving it down so its to the right of the linkmenu.

The actual content is neatly titled and presented, so i dont think it needs any improvement.

One final suggestion: Have you tried changing the background colour to something like a light grey?...or maybe just white...

The current colour looks "childish", which maybe isnt what you want visitors thinking of the college as.

Hope my comments are useful

Luke
GB
I think that it came out pretty well. I agree with changing the background to a different color. I know that purple was one of those things you can't change, but surely you can use a color scheme with purple as the main color. (Or maybe not sometimes colleges can be inflexible). I'd like to see white or some other neutral color in the background.
The page took awhile to load the first time. Is there a possibility you could cut down the images a bit?
I like how most of the information fits on one screen. Very nice.
I couldn't find a link to the main University site, but I also didn't look very long.
As for improvements, I'd like to see a link to the home page above the "about us" on the left hand column. I'd also like more current news. Thats all for now.
Saber
Thanks again for the help, Im going to work on it a bit today,

Quote:
The page took awhile to load the first time. Is there a possibility you could cut down the images a bit?

I would but there isnt any iamges to cut down with. Therse the banner, and that needs to be there, and then the main image, and thats there becuase my boss says so.. Only Two..

also the home link, there is the link in the trace bar, but I think that it would be a good idea to also have one in the menu, Thanks,

As for news... I really wish there was more also, Its only what my boss's send me to put up.. and as you can tell, thats allmost nothing.

Thanks again for your help.
LukeakaDanish
Saber wrote:
Thanks again for the help, Im going to work on it a bit today,

Quote:

I would but there isnt any iamges to cut down with. Therse the banner, and that needs to be there, and then the main image, and thats there becuase my boss says so.. Only Two..

Well the image is 150kb...WAY to much...especially for so small an image...

Here i have changed it to 90% quality...its still pretty good...and 40kb...which is almost four times smaller...

Link

To further improve on this, save the text and logo as .png and save the background image as .jpg

Like this you would be able to further decrease the quality without loosing any visual quality...everybody wins..Very Happy
Saber
Thanks, It didnt cross my mind to compress the image. I guess because Im connect right to the server, I didnt have to think about it. Thanks
LukeakaDanish
Pleased to help...

Do also concider making the logo a .png file and the background a .jpg

This way the logo will still be crisp and clean...and the overall filesize will be good

Luke
khairulsyahir
Not many people dare to venture out with the color purple, but it's a good start. Try to play around with different shades of purple and see if pastel vs deep purple will create a more aesthetically pleasing result while serving the professional purpose of the website. Also, the home page is rather empty, perhaps more elements with direct link to other pages will do the trick.

ks
www.stampede-design.com
riv_
Looks good so far.
I think it would look nice if you added some paddin on the pages with less content, so it filled up more of the page. It looks kind of unbalanced all scrunched up at the top... I guess you could add it to the margin-top, dropping the whole thing down... but I think it would look best to add padding to the bottom of your content, extending the light-colored background down towards the bottom of the screen.
(does that even make sense... sometimes it's hard to explain...)
YOu're getting some great suggestions, and it looks great!