FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Java] Mathematics + design = help

qbawler311
I have scraped web pages for sports betting lines and have them saved in excel files. They are in this format:

(scraped from bigbets.com)
Team name, spread, line
philidelphia 76ers, +5.5, -110
Chicago Bulls, -5.5, -110
over, 178, -110
...etc

(scraped from otherbets.com)
Team name, spread, line
PHI, +6.0, -115
CHI, -6.0, -105
over, 178, 100

If I scrape 10 different websites I will have 10 different excel files for NBA Basketball alone. 1 fore ach site in the format above.

My goal is to import the information from the excel files into java then compare lines for the same games of all the different sites in hope of finding an arbitrage betting situation. I am using POI HSSF to import the data from the excel files. I need code for the best way to store the data (in jave) and compare the games from different sites. Also Team names from different sites are different, sometimes there is a blank space in the "spread" field.
mschnell
I don't know a lot about serialization, but if I were you I'd read up on it. If you can save your information as text files then you could use a scanner or a buffered reader to read them in as strings. Then I would parse the strings that are ints. Store them however you want. I hope this was helpful, but I'm not really sure that it was...
tobytobsen
Maybe your spreadsheet can save it as XML?

Then you could work with it really great with Java.
qbawler311
This problem has been solved guys, I decided to store the scraped data in a Mysql database and use JDBC to access and maipulate the data from Java. Works faster, better support, and less bugs. Thinking about switch to HSQL if speed becomes and issue.