FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BroadBand Software?

lancerfootwear
dear sir/madam
is there any software for broadband services or it is a hardware that makes a computer connected with broadband?
please tell me in brief?
MonkeyWrench
it depends what u use, u need software to use the hardware needed to connect, they usually supply this when u buy broadband. I have BT ADSL broadband, and for the adsl hardware you need a disc to install it so it works properly Razz
ChargerBear
Broadband is a hardware thing. I think what you're asking is for broadband with your dial up modem. If this is the case, the answer is, your modem can't be used for broadband. A broadband modem is necessary. I have verizon DSL and they set up my line for DSL and sent me a modem to hook up to my computer. Not necessarily in that order. In fact it took 1.5 months after I received the modem that they finally got the line set up. Technical problems they said. Anyway I don't know how the cable companies do it, but I'm guessing they give you a modem also.
If they don't give you a modem, you can bet there's a modem somewhere. I hope this is the answer you were looking for.
MonkeyWrench
no u need a modem in ur pc, which the adsl hardware connects up to ur pc, which is needed to dial out.
altec
lancerfootwear wrote:
dear sir/madam
is there any software for broadband services or it is a hardware that makes a computer connected with broadband?
please tell me in brief?

Things you need:

Operating System:

Windows XP
Linux - Suse, Xandros, Lindows, Ubuntu, etc.
*If you use win98 or win95, the provider will give you a CD - a dialer program called PPPOE dialer.

Hardware needed:

Network Card (LAN)
DSL service provider
DSL Modem (sometimes supplied by provider)
Telephone Line

That's it.