FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

which is better?

cowboyx
Hi. I realy hate windows XP and am wondering which is better? Windows 98 or windows 2000. I have heard that 2000 is better than 98, but do not want to buy a copy of it, concidering I already purchased like 3 copies of windows 98 SE. Thanks in advance
Rocky3478
2000 is way better then 98. 2000 is probably the best OS that Microsoft has ever made, IMO. Of course, this is coming from a Mac user. Wink
budazz
why do you hate winxp?...any problem?...

but yes you can try win 2000 Cool
DeadX
Windows 2000 is more stable than Windows XP,
2000 also uses less resources than XP.
Windows 2000 is more stable than Windows 98,
2000 is also safer (security) than 98.
If you have an old computer it's maybe the best to use 98 because that will run better, but if that pc can run XP, then use 2000.

Since I have my laptop I use XP, because I didn't want to search the 2000 drivers (I'm sometimes a bit lazy :p), my desktop has switched to XP this year because of an game that wouldn't run on 2000 (and games is the only thing I use my desktop for since I have my laptop).

Windows XP is not 'bad', but some users like 2000 more :p
simp
1) May I ask what you intend to use the operating system for? That should be fundamental to your decision.

2) If you already have Windows 98, then it has a very important feature for you. It's free!

3) If you just get a cheap new computer it will probably cost less than just buying a standalone Microsoft operating system, and will come with XP included.

4) If you can download and burn an "iso" (or have a friend do it for you), then you might want to give a Linux "live cd" a try. KNOPPIX, KANOTIX, or Damn Small Linux are good bets. You don't have to install anything on your computer, just boot up with the cd in your cd drive, it will run from there. To bail out, just reboot (remove the cd!) any you're back in Windows.
NoRemorseMusic
I would say that windows 2000 is better because of the ntfs file system wich allows file sizes above 4gb, so if you like to back up your movies than i would recogmend this.
william
Windows 2000. It truly is the best Microsoft has ever made. XP is messed up and Windows 98 needs more features. So, you ought to go with Windows 2000.
kelvinpoon
Windows 98 se is a good choice,it's really stable!
rex123
kelvinpoon wrote:
Windows 98 se is a good choice,it's really stable!

I assume that's a joke.

Out of Win98 and Win2000, there's no contest. Windows 2000 is a good operating system, based on reasonable technology. Windows 98 is the opposite.

Windows XP is OK as well, in my view. The secret to using it effectively is to find the settings that turn the task bar, the explorer views, the search facility, and the control panel back to Win2000 style. All this is possible, and should make XP usable for most purposes.
ayham
i think win98
AftershockVibe
What on earth is going on here?! Windows 98!!! You've got to be joking!!! Especially if you're planning on hooking your box up to the internet, it won't last 5 minutes until its crawling to a halt with spyware.

Can I also point out that Windows 2000 (plus service packs) is pretty much identical to XP but without the GUI and a few accessories. Any deep problems you're having with XP will exist in 2000 as well.

If you're really that annoyed to consider downgrading then perhaps try Windows 98 (for games only - internet is NOT a good idea) dual booting with a user-friendly desktop Linux distro. You might want to download Ubuntu.
{name here}
Reccomended if you want a modern OS in no particular order:
1. Windows 2000/XP
2. Any linux distro listed at linux.com
3. YellowTAB Zeta or Haiku
4. eComStation

Reccomended if you want a OS that can run on crap hardware:
1. OS/2 Warp 4
2. BeOS
3. Windows ME(I found it much more stable than 98. I'm not kidding.)
4. Plan 9/Inferno
5. Linux distros with kernel version under 2.5
jiten
cowboyx wrote:
Hi. I realy hate windows XP and am wondering which is better? Windows 98 or windows 2000. I have heard that 2000 is better than 98, but do not want to buy a copy of it, concidering I already purchased like 3 copies of windows 98 SE. Thanks in advance

There are many operating systems. By modern, I'll assume you mean still widely used. Even looking at it from this point-of-view: Wikipedia lists far more than 50.

I recommend looking at the links below for an overview of not only what they are called, but what makes each of them different or unique.
Clash
Don't even think of going near Win98, it falls over at the touch of a key, and is no longer supported by Microsoft (as is the case withy ME as well). Why would you need support?, because the damn thing is so unstable Very Happy

Win 2k and XP are pretty much the same, and you can get XP to look like 2K if you want. You haven't really explained why you hate XP, so until you do, the rest of us ar in the dark.

IMO Windows XP is the most stable OS Microsoft have ever produced since DOS Surprised
DarkAkira
NEither is a good choice. I would recommend a clean install of XP.

But if I had to choose, I would go with 98SE.

Take it from me, 2000 has WAYYYYYY too many security leaks in it. My school was runnning all through my high school years. My friends and I tore it apart. There are too many risks when running. Internet security issues and all that. I never had any trouble with 98se. I used it as my primary OS up until about 2 years ago. And it ran the best. I have used all versions of windows, even the crappy windows 3.1(ewww) and i would go with 98 if not XP. XP has gotten better over the past few years. It still has its issues, but its better.

And about the whole win98 spyware thing...

Not true... Plain and simple.... Not True...

Like I said.... Take it from experience. I stopped using 98se 2 years ago. It is good compared to all others aside from XP. And I can recommend many ways to tighten up your security as well(all free of course).

Or, if your willing to try a fresh XP install, I will help you "tweak" it for better performance and help you customize everything to suit your needs.
ocalhoun
DarkAkira wrote:
NEither is a good choice. I would recommend a clean install of XP.

But if I had to choose, I would go with 98SE.

Take it from me, 2000 has WAYYYYYY too many security leaks in it. My school was runnning all through my high school years. My friends and I tore it apart. There are too many risks when running. Internet security issues and all that. I never had any trouble with 98se. I used it as my primary OS up until about 2 years ago. And it ran the best. I have used all versions of windows, even the crappy windows 3.1(ewww) and i would go with 98 if not XP. XP has gotten better over the past few years. It still has its issues, but its better.

And about the whole win98 spyware thing...

Not true... Plain and simple.... Not True...

Like I said.... Take it from experience. I stopped using 98se 2 years ago. It is good compared to all others aside from XP. And I can recommend many ways to tighten up your security as well(all free of course).

Or, if your willing to try a fresh XP install, I will help you "tweak" it for better performance and help you customize everything to suit your needs.

'98 more secure? You can hack it just by clicking 'cancel' when prompted for a password. Windows 2000 is the best windows yet. (Except that certain games will not run on it, even if they do run on '98.)

Of course it is true that all versions of windows have bad security...
Clash
It's very hard to hack Windows XP if you log on as a Limited User as opposed to an Administrator. Access to files, settings etc. is very limited, so trojans can't really get a hold.

You can use an Admin logon to install software and stuff, but for normal use just log on as a limited user. You'll be able to do most things you normally do without the dangers of an Admin account.

And yes Win98 is so easy to break it's a joke. Passwords are very easy to break and the whole system is wide open.
{name here}
Try another OS that has actual security like linux or OpenBSD. Run your windows apps via WINE if you really want to use them. eCS will run your windows apps to if you are willing to pay for it(ODIN is free. eCS however, is not).
DarkAkira
Quote:
'98 more secure? You can hack it just by clicking 'cancel' when prompted for a password.

This may be true when you first intall it, but there are plenty of ways to prevent this. Like... using the windows registry to disable or even remove the cancel button and locking the escape button on the login screen.

Quote:
And yes Win98 is so easy to break it's a joke. Passwords are very easy to break and the whole system is wide open.

Passwords are easy to break from DOS. But so are the Passwords in XP. Any version of windows is easy to crack in DOS. Encryption may be better than in 98se, but if someone deletes the SAM files the encryption is useless.

I promise you that any "flaws" you can find in 98se, I could find same if not worse leaks in 2000/XP.

Quote:
cowboyx
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:38 am Post subject: which is better?

What exactly are the reasons you hate XP anyway? This kind of information would help a great deal when your looking for advice. I need to know why you hate it, what your looking for in terms of use, and whatever other relevant data you can provide.
matrix07
COME ON MAN!!!THE CLEAR WINNER IS WINDOWS XP!!!ITS MORE STABLE AND SECURE THEN THE OTHER WINDOWS VERSIONS LIKE WIN 98,2000,ME.
AFTER INSTALLING WIN XP JUST INSTALL WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2!!!
AFTER THAT URE P.C WILL BE BETTER THAN BEFORE!!!
Clash
DarkAkira wrote:
This may be true when you first intall it, but there are plenty of ways to prevent this. Like... using the windows registry to disable or even remove the cancel button and locking the escape button on the login screen.
And all you need is a boot floppy and you're in the back door and can do what you like. For example loading an escape string in autoexec.bat to remap the escape key to the letter 'a'

or just start in safe mode and create a new user.

Quote:
Passwords are easy to break from DOS. But so are the Passwords in XP.

No they are not. breaking user passwords in XP is almost impossible.
Quote:
Any version of windows is easy to crack in DOS.
there is no DOS in XP, just the recovery console, and that doesn't get you everywhere.
Quote:
Encryption may be better than in 98se, but if someone deletes the SAM files the encryption is useless.
If you have boot level hard disk encryption, you'd have a very hard time gettng into an XP system. The same would go for 98.

Quote:
I promise you that any "flaws" you can find in 98se, I could find same if not worse leaks in 2000/XP.
OK, Whats the equivalent XP flaw for the PWL file in Win98?
adiutrix
FEDORA

Also xp is just a theme for 2000 if you ask me
Clash
adiutrix wrote:
Also xp is just a theme for 2000 if you ask me

That would go for XP x64 as well I suppose? Laughing

There are significant differences between 2000 and XP. It's not just the look and feel. 2000 doesn't have a firewall, native support for wireless, built-in CD writer support, fast user switching, remote desktop and that's just off the cuff.

Add in the x64 and Media Centre editions and you have really major differences.

btw, a lot of people don't realise how 'fast' fast user switching is!. Try pressing the Window key and 'L' combination and be prepared for a surprise!
k_s_baskar
cowboyx wrote:

Win2000 is better choice comparing to win98(SE). But if you have processor speed less than 833 mhz and memory < 128 still win98 is a better choice for your system.

If you need complete security for your pc, than select win2000 or winxp(partition should be in NTFS format).
Clash
k_s_baskar wrote:
Win2000 is better choice comparing to win98(SE). But if you have processor speed less than 833 mhz and memory < 128 still win98 is a better choice for your system.

I don't fully agree with that statement. RAM is the overriding concern with Win2K/XP.

Taking Windows XP as the case in point. I have run XP Pro on a 400Mhz machine with 64Mb RAM. Note I just said 'run', It's more like 'walk' Laughing

However, put 256Mb RAM on the same PC and it's a much different kettle of fish. The machine will run most apps like word, excel, powerpoint, media player etc. without any problem. Granted it won't be fast, but at the same time it won't be so slow that it causes problems with your work.

Windows 98 on the same machine with 64Mb RAM will run faster than the XP set up, but when you get to 256Mb RAM the XP installation is slightly faster.

I have upgraded a number of machines running Win98 to Win XP and the rule of thumb is that if you are above 800Mhz, the speed increase is very noticeable. These are 'Real World' situations, the architecture of the machines varied, but the consensus was the same. Given a minimum of RAM (256Mb) you will always notice a speed improvement.
AftershockVibe
Just to tack onto that:
If you want to run Windows XP on less than 64K RAM and it still be useable you'll need to cut a lot of the crap that it loads in by default... themes, fading menus and driver modules (how many copies of svchost do I need?!) that you aren't going to use.

Wireless networking drivers also seem to be a memory hog.
raman
I would not recommend using windows 98 as it is very unstable and prone ot many errors such as the much dreaded blue screen error. Windows XP is better due to its stability but it does use more resources. I would instead recommend Windows Mellenium which falls somewhere in between both. Hope this helps.
primag
absolutely raman
mukesh
I think 2000 is better then 98 operating system.
chatrack
I used Windows 98 SE is used for years. Before that it was windows 98.

With windows 98 SE , it auto detected and installed built in drivers for my most of the plug and play devices such as Flash memory drive, Bluetooth device. with 98 i need the driver CD for them to install.

If you have Windows 98 SE and 2000, I suggest 98 SE
weableandbob
Out of those two, 2000 is better, although I've never had a problem with XP personally. Plus, I prefer moving up operating systems (like to Windows 7) instead of down.
nivinjoy
You must be kidding... As far as I know Windows 2000 is far better in comparison with Windows 98.. I have used all the current day operating systems from Microsoft like Windows 98,Windows 2000,NT and Windows XP then Vista and Windows 7.. In all newer versions many aspects like security and performance had been improved from versions to versions..!!

But may I ask you one thing why do you insist on using Windows 98 or Windows 2000 still when one of the best operating system till date, Windows 7 is available..?
LostOverThere
nivinjoy wrote:
But may I ask you one thing why do you insist on using Windows 98 or Windows 2000 still when one of the best operating system till date, Windows 7 is available..?

I assume it's either got to do with price or compatibility issues. Personally, as someone who uses Windows 7 I don't really find it all that much better than Windows XP. Sure, it looks nice, and proper 64-bit support is great, but apart from that, there's nothing much game-changing about it.

Real men use Linux, but we'll save that for another topic. Wink
nivinjoy
LostOverThere wrote:
Real men use Linux, but we'll save that for another topic. Wink

Love that comment. Very Happy

And about the Operating system, I totally agree that there are compatibility issues with some programs. But Microsoft has taken care by providing a Windows XP mode in Windows 7 for the users (mostly professionals) to work in windows XP platform. And i totally agree to the point that Windows XP is the best product from Microsoft in the line of Operating systems. Personally i love Windows XP a lot.
tamilparks
to protect from virus you can use windows 98 SE it gives protection from virus but u cannot use features like windows 2000, windows xp, windows 7 etc...
Ankhanu
So... to protect yourself from viruses, simply use an operating system that no one uses anymore? You'll avoid viruses because no one is distributing for it anymore?

Seems a little silly Razz

Why not use a fully functional, modern OS with either no/few viruses (linux, MacOS) or be generally careful and use Windows, either with a decent anti-virus program, or use common sense and simply not download/run viruses in the first place??
mukesh
budazz wrote:
why do you hate winxp?...any problem?...

but yes you can try win 2000 Cool

Budazz no any body hate win XP. Requirement of Hardware of pcs which is suitable OS fix then use OS.
Asap170
If you tend to run games and stuff I definitely wouldn't suggest Windows 2000 because it's graphics and system in general might not support it. Also there would be a good amount of lag.
portoskt
win xp is best os for most of computers, only 7 is better for new and powerful machines
ProwerBot
This topic is like 5 years old, people.
socials
Totally agree 2000 is better than 98. I personally hate 98, is not a really featured Operating system
billlam
I suggest 2000 if you didn't like to [or can't] run linux with a kernel of 2.6 or later on your computer. Nowadays there's not so many free/paid software for win95/98's kernel.
mukesh
DeadX wrote:
Windows 2000 is more stable than Windows XP,
2000 also uses less resources than XP.
Windows 2000 is more stable than Windows 98,
2000 is also safer (security) than 98.
If you have an old computer it's maybe the best to use 98 because that will run better, but if that pc can run XP, then use 2000.

Since I have my laptop I use XP, because I didn't want to search the 2000 drivers (I'm sometimes a bit lazy :p), my desktop has switched to XP this year because of an game that wouldn't run on 2000 (and games is the only thing I use my desktop for since I have my laptop).

Windows XP is not 'bad', but some users like 2000 more :p

Windows XP is really very well OS but now some latest Pcs which not supported windows XP.
ahmedakter
Now the best Operating System is Windows 7 and if you hate windows 7 then you can use Linux Mint. It is very user friendly and comfortable to use. You can do anything you wish to do with it. Another OS you can choose is Mac Os. There is various version of mac and you can choose any of them. Thanks Razz
riteshk1
In comparison of these 3 window 2000 is better Smile
aayushsrivastava14
cowboyx wrote:

None! Go and install Windows 7.