FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Learning: Java Programming

mkultra
I'm currently a vb / asp developer but outside of microsoft products i'm a bit light on in experience.

My work year looks like featuring a big push in web services which would require me to get siginificantly better in java programming.

Does anyone know of any good Java tutorial sites are any books worth getting my hands on.

Your help is much appreciated.

mkultra
ocalhoun
I learned Java in about three days by checking a book out from the library. Of course, I was already familiar with C++, so I had an advantage. I still, however, suggest this approach. Just read the book cover to cover, and refer back to it when you get stuck, and you'll learn in no time.
thiamshui
mkultra wrote:
Does anyone know of any good Java tutorial sites are any books worth getting my hands on.

Sun Microsystems' site itself does contain some good tutorials.. take a look here: http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/

quite a good tutorial for a start.. of course, alternatively, u can borrow a book from the library.. i would recommend 'visual' books though with more screenshots and pics.. u can realli learn betta.. all the best in learning Java anyway! Very Happy
yisou
java is good
scharfkun
Learning Java is indeed good. One of the basic books for beginner in my opinion is Java Programming for the Absolute Beginner. Bu anyways the b est way of learning is to practise, and also lots of helpful information can be found on the forum of www.sun.com. Good luck
teh_razz
Java is a pretty good language to learn, there are lots of cool things you can do with it Cool
Kris1972
teh_razz wrote:
Java is a pretty good language to learn, there are lots of cool things you can do with it Cool

I agree, but I am learning when you are looking for a job, you still need knowledge of other languages and systems. it alos helps if you write some useful and completely bug free and working software packages.
daniel_l_135
Kris1972 wrote:

it alos helps if you write some useful and completely bug free and working software packages.

The people working at Microsoft, probably the best known software company in the world, don't build completely bug free software packages. Employers will expect working software of course, but they can hardly expect it to be completely bug-free.
Kris1972
daniel_l_135 wrote:
Kris1972 wrote:

it alos helps if you write some useful and completely bug free and working software packages.

The people working at Microsoft, probably the best known software company in the world, don't build completely bug free software packages. Employers will expect working software of course, but they can hardly expect it to be completely bug-free.

This post made me laugh. The developers at Microsoft are a joke, IMHO. The release software to a schedule and let users sort the bugs out. Java 5.0 is a different language all together. You write a prgram in Java and compile it, the compiler checks for coding errors, if there are none it compiles and runs, if there are soe it wont compile. Next in the case of a runtime error, it can be found at the development stage and fixed prior to release. Also to the best of my knowledge (limited as it is) Micrcrappy isn't written in Java and has huge garbage collection issues. For example and programmer forgets to destroy and object created and you get a memory leak. With Java the virtual machine handles its own garbage collection, so you get no memory leaks, and the program is run in an encapsulated evironment, so there is no danger of damage to your system unlike most other languages. That is just my opinion FWIW.