FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

U.S. launches largest Iraq air assault in 3 years

manumiglani
Quote:
U.S. launches largest Iraq air assault in 3 years

50 aircraft, 1,500 soldiers attack targets north of Baghdad

NBC News and news services
Updated: 12:01 p.m. ET March 16, 2006

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S. military said on Thursday it had launched its biggest air offensive in Iraq since the 2003 invasion of the country.

A military statement said the operation involving more than 50 aircraft and 1,500 Iraqi and U.S. troops as well as 200 tactical vehicles targeted suspected insurgents operating in Salahuddin, a province that includes Samarra, a town located 60 miles north of Baghdad.

“Initial reports from the objective area indicate that a number of enemy weapons caches have been captured, containing artillery shells, explosives, IED-making materials, and military uniforms,” the military said in a statement. IEDs are improvised explosive devices.

The military said the operation began Thursday morning and was likely to continue for several days.

Waqas al-Juwanya, a spokesman for Iraq’s joint coordination center in nearby Dowr, said “unknown gunmen exist in this area, killing and kidnapping policemen, soldiers and civilians.”

The province is a major part of the so-called Sunni triangle where insurgents have been active since shortly after the U.S.-led invasion three years ago. Saddam Hussein was captured in the province, not far from its capital, Tikrit.

Samarra was the site of a bombing attack last month on a Shiite shrine that set off sectarian reprisals and pushed Iraq to the brink of civil war.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11857580/
Soulfire
About time we attempted to accomplish something. Hopefully we can slow down the insurgency soon.
Vrythramax
I have to confess to having mixed feelings about this, on the one hand I can't condone killing people for having a different political ideology than I do, and on the other I find myself a little pleased that there is fewer explosives and weapons in the hands of [potential] terrorists...even at the cost of some lives.

War has the awful tendency to bring out the absolute worst in people of all cultures, both sides believe they are right and both sides are willing to kill for what they believe in. I just think it's a crying shame that innocent people, on both sides, are being made to suffer for the whims of a select group of people, also on both sides, because you know that those bombs we dropped didn't just hit military personal or targets.
maclui
They are lost, a second war is going on years after Bush declared military ops finished in Irak. Of course it was not going to be that easy and of course just because BUsh said so the resistence was not over. The US must find a way to get out of there soon even if the oil is not in their hands completely yet. Because it is costing money, lifes and popularity and everything has a limit how long will the people of US will be still believing they are freeing the people of Irak? or some crazy terrorists?? Sooner or later they will realize what is this really about, they ere not going to be happy.
suntzu3500
It's interesting that we're taking military action against "Suspected" Insurgants. If were gonna devote 50 aircraft and a regiment of troops to attacking something, it would be nice if the DIA could decide conclusively that they are, in fact, confirmed insurgents.
alkady
Its just going to make the terrorist more mad and get the insurgency to increase by many folds.
horseatingweeds
Wow!

I know I shouldn't be surprised and making a post here is no productive. I am just annoyed by such stupidity. This could have been an interesting discussion but of course.....

Five (5) replies, all ridiculously uninformed.

So, Soulfire, you think the US has not been trying to do anything.

Vrythramax, not an unintelligent response but contradictory and stating the obvious. I don’t condone killing people, who happen to have different beliefs than my own, unless those beliefs are that I and my country men must die.

maclui, you really need to read the news. Evening talk shows and comedy central don't count.

suntzu3500, you have a great idea there fellow. You should contact the DIC and tell them about it. The DIA could realy use good ideas like that!

alkady, your right! Oh my gosh! What are we doing? Trying to kill terrorists is certainly going to make terrorists made. We better stop POSTE HASTE. We should probably try to make it up to them somehow too. OTHERWISE they will keep recruiting new bodies as fast as we make bullets and armor.

Sad
The Philosopher Princess
My post here is offered strictly as a regular Frihoster, not as Moderator.

horseatingweeds, I sincerely sympathize with the entire substance of your post, above. I am often looking for methods of raising the thinking and writing levels of people.

However, while you are.....
horseatingweeds wrote:
annoyed by such stupidity
.....your own post is full of misspellings/typos, which indicates either (1) unintelligence, (2) disrespect, (3) non-native English speaker, and/or (4) carelessness. I think it’s probably #4.

So, you and I agree that we’d like more thoughtfulness in the content of posts. I would, additionally, like more thoughtfulness in language application of posts. How do we achieve these kinds of things? I’m not sure that using a crass term like “stupidity” towards people (in a personal way) is going to help. But I really mean that “I’m not sure”. I am sure that it makes me personally feel uncomfortable to watch others inflict towards others statements on the edge of personal insults. (It doesn’t bother me as much when they are coming towards me because my content often wrenches people’s core beliefs, so it’s expected; and, I have a thicker “skin” than most people.)

I’m also not sure how to encourage an intelligent person such as yourself to help, rather than squash, others. That’s because, though I have some ideas, I don’t really know how to do it myself. So, that’s why I’m raising the issue, though I don’t have the answers. Maybe a new topic in the Chat area should be started to discuss how to raise quality in all areas of posts?
Soulfire
As an avid supporter of the war in Iraq, I find that perhaps a few more of these "big pushes" are neccessary to confine, and destroy the insurgency.

Our focus is on training the Iraqi police forces and armed forces to take care of their own country, until they can do it themselves... it is a necessity that we are there. Iraq's democracy is in a very fragile state right now, and infant.. if you will. It requires the United States tender hands to grow... but soon enough it will be strong and independent.
The Philosopher Princess
The following reflects my thinking on how smart the war in Iraq is:

(Question to horseatingweeds: Do you think there would be a market on Frihost for some topics that had to meet stricter requirements, such as what you were hoping to find here?)