FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cellphone Functions

izcool
Hey everybody,

I've been thinking over the past few minutes on how much cellphones have developed over the past few years, and what they can function as. I have a Motorola RAZR V3 (I'm happy with it) and it only does some of the things listed below, but not all. I guess not every phone can do all of the below, but different ones do different things.

- Mobile phones (obvious)
- Answering machines (Voicemail boxes)
- Phone books
- Address books
- Alarm Clocks
- Calculators
- Calendars
- Games
- Instant Messenging
- eMail
- Internet
- Videos
- MP3's
- Walkie-talkies
- Cameras
- PDAs (Pocket PC's)

What the hell else can we make cellphones do ?

- Mike.
myrevolt
make a sandwich.

haha. no I think what needs to be done, is they need to be streamlined. and SMS needs to be updated for goodness sakes. what I want is a way to stick it to these cell carriers that charge outragous prices for these "features". I would like the ability to use my phone through wifi while at a hotspot so I don't incur a ton of money for texting; and the mobility and reliabilty of gsm while on the road. phones also seem to be too gimicky. I just want something that works, and works well.

Moreover, I want an external number pad of sorts, cause I want to sew it into my jeans so I can text during class. Its the one teacher that is anal about any electronic devices...
izcool
Okay, I've just thought of something brilliant that I should patent.

Someone should put a flashlight at the top of a phone, when you hit a button, it'll shine the light. Very Happy Technically, you can use the LCD screen as a flashlight, but that's not exactly the best. I could make a million bucks off of that. Just think of it - "Hey man, I bought a flashlight phone today". Laughing

- Mike.
Pikokola
- Reminder
- Browsing [sometimes this make me run out of money XD]
- Playing game via GPRS Smile
- Messaging my girlfriend Cool
- Killing my time by playing a games XD- it's suck my battery too much
- many more

about the flashlight, I prefer have the real flashlight (so i can throw it to my little brother Very Happy))
planet
I seem to remember that there is/was a Nokia with a light function =)

I DO use my RAZR V3 (which I have duly hacked to have video and a few nifty details) when parking the car and walking back to the house, screen's quite bright.
Wynand
Hi, izcool

I have a Nokia3310. Sad

I know this is a very old phone, but it has all the functions I need at this moment. Really the only function I use is SMS, and maybe a call for once and a while for emergencies like calling my grandmother that does not understand sms’s yet.

For all the other stimulation to technology I need, I use my computer with internet. It is just so rich in information and functions. I do not what to sit and figure out everything on such a small screen.

A benefit of having a cool phone is when you are away from your computer you can do most of the things you do on the computer, but I don’t have enough money yet to buy me such a phone. Maybe in the near future when I complete my studies.
Jack_Hammer
Wynand wrote:
I have a Nokia3310.

I also have the same kind of phone as you, I have a nokia 3330 just slightly better and lighter than yours. The nokias are built like a rock, mines been through the wash twice, dropped millions of times, still functions bueatifully after about 4 years of rough treatement.... (It even has lots of gashes on it from when I take it on excersize). Still as good as ever!
Jayfarer
Compass? Thermometer? Swiss army knife? Lie detector? Some kind of Radiocarbon dating device?
xorcist
izcool wrote:

Someone should put a flashlight at the top of a phone, when you hit a button, it'll shine the light. Very Happy Technically, you can use the LCD screen as a flashlight, but that's not exactly the best. I could make a million bucks off of that. Just think of it - "Hey man, I bought a flashlight phone today". Laughing

- Mike.

They have flashlights on one phone but I forgot what the phone was called. But I really wouldnt want that on a phone.
Davidgr1200
The one thing I would like is a larger screen but not a larger device. I know that there are screens coming along which could roll up. Watchin films on a 1" screen is not that much fun, but if you could roll out a screen - or even project it onto a white wall. Now that would be cool!
Pyxel
I mainly use my phone as a clock and a camera, for two reasons.

First, I always used those two functions the most, just after talking and texting.

Second, my cell phone service got disconnected, so now I use it as just a clock (alarm clock as well) and a camera, considering I can hook my phone strait up to my laptop and get the pictures off of it. So its not totally a loss.
izcool
Pyxel wrote:
I mainly use my phone as a clock and a camera, for two reasons.

First, I always used those two functions the most, just after talking and texting.

Second, my cell phone service got disconnected, so now I use it as just a clock (alarm clock as well) and a camera, considering I can hook my phone strait up to my laptop and get the pictures off of it. So its not totally a loss.

Ahh, how could I have forgotten the clock and the date lol ?

I heard that you can use a cellphone that's been disconnected to dial 911, not too sure about that though. That can serve another purpose for your disconnected cellphone I suppose.

- Mike.
nilsmo
izcool wrote:

- Mike.

Actually, it would suck way too much battey life.

Jayfarer, nobody uses a compass, but it might work. Also, a thernometer would take up a lot of space. A Swiss army knife would take up lots of space, not only with the blade, but also with some secure packaging so you don't stab yourself when the cell phone is in your pocket. The other ones are jokes Laughing

So far, no good suggestions in my opinion.
planet
My first "mobile" phone was a Ericsson (forget the number of it) , as big as two bricks and same wheight with a soft rubber antennae and a real handle,, worked fine, I even set it up in the house, with an exterior antennae and connected it to a fax,, I still have it somewhere.

I think the best I've ever had (I must have had at least 20) is the Nokia 2110, practical size, built like a tank could take most anything. I even fell in one of my rivers with it (broke my foot clear across), was brought home, dried it out with a hairdryer, charged it and phoned 2 hours later for the doctor,, damn good phone =))

The ones now a days are a bit small for my taste (practicallity) as I have a problem seeing what the fnuck goes on but the RZR V3 is good and pretty hehe
outeredge
you forgot fax.... i find the mobile fax v-handy for the yes i can take faxes answer i need to give from time to time when i need the info at my destination and dont recall the number where i am headed.
lukeropro
maybe a printer or maybe a mobile house? like in the motorola razr v3 advertisement where the whole house folded into the phone...
SusieSmacktard
my Kyocera K10 has a flashlight function. It's quite handy for finding your car keys if you drop them on the ground, or lose something in your purse. Another handy function it has is a tip calculator. Great for dining out!
charredii
I loathe the nokia interface, it is disgusting, a disgrace to cell phones. I really actually enjoy the samsung SCH a630 (pretty much any samsung w/o the weird VZW red interface). BUt currently I have the moto E815, and I like it a lot. I would not trust myself with a razr
Blaster
Protect you from theifs. (You had to have seen the cingular commericals out there)
chargoyle
Ok you know how when your phone goes off at work or in class and it's on vibrate, people can still hear it cuz it goes WHIRRRR WHIRRRR? How about instead of a 'vibrate' setting a phone has a 'taser' setting so you get zapped ever so slightly when you get a message or a call? Laughing
myrevolt
why did no one comment on my "make a sandwich" comment? Razz or how about a kitchensink Wink Twisted Evil
afireinside
I have a Panasonic p342i that set me back about $700.

I doesn't have half the features as the RAZR. But it is a damn reliable phone.

I would like to see phones somehow incorporated in the next generation of Console Gaming. the Xbox 360 Supports iPods and Digital Cameras. I'd like to see phones.

Or, an iPod featuring a phone. Less things to carry around.
alkady
izcool wrote:

- Mike.

Actually Mike, Flashlights on a Phone already exist, But thats not on every models.
izcool
alkady wrote:
izcool wrote:

- Mike.

Actually Mike, Flashlights on a Phone already exist, But thats not on every models.

I just thought of that out of the blue, and haven't really done any extensive research if there was such of a thing. What else could we make cellphones do for us ?

- Mike.
input
So long as it has snake2 im not that bothered.
Gieter
I should be able to call (although I don't call that much, but it's still a cellphone), to send text messages, and have an alarm clock and a calculator. Quite basic, but the other functions I rarely use.

There are cellphones with GPS, or cellphones which you can use to pay in shops etc. (instead of a card.) I think those two applications are quite useful.

Maybe something like a GPS, but for parties and stuff: you 'call' a nummer, and if the one who you are calling accepts, there will appear an arrow on your screen pointing in the direction of that person, accompanied with the distance.
izcool
Gieter wrote:
I should be able to call (although I don't call that much, but it's still a cellphone), to send text messages, and have an alarm clock and a calculator. Quite basic, but the other functions I rarely use.

There are cellphones with GPS, or cellphones which you can use to pay in shops etc. (instead of a card.) I think those two applications are quite useful.

Maybe something like a GPS, but for parties and stuff: you 'call' a nummer, and if the one who you are calling accepts, there will appear an arrow on your screen pointing in the direction of that person, accompanied with the distance.

That sounds great, I would love to have a feature that would calculate distance from me to someone else. Very Happy

- Mike.
alkady
Gieter wrote:

too bad they dont exist yet in North America, I would like one.
bluedragon
Bluetooth, instant messaging, a decent camera and an mp3 player is all my cell phone would need, really.
sparks
hi everyone

Does anyone know where to get Motorolla C113 ringtones in text format so that I don't have to connect my phone to the computer and download MIDI format ringtones because I do not have a cable.

By the way i am new in the forum so i hope that this is the right place to post this question.

Thanks in advance
mike16889
hi ive got a siemens sk65 (google it its awsome)
its got a full qwerty keybourd and a huge screen and plays video and adio and all the other featurs even has blackberry built into it last year it would of costed me over 700AUD but i got it for 130AUD.

Quote:
The one thing I would like is a larger screen but not a larger device. I know that there are screens coming along which could roll up. Watchin films on a 1" screen is not that much fun, but if you could roll out a screen - or even project it onto a white wall. Now that would be cool!

a sew an invetion show the other knight and its all about austrralian inventions and thay have made a projector that is as round as a AA batery and half the lengthand becouse it uses LED technloagy it dousnt get hot

it will project a picture of the size A4 from 1.5 feet awaywith an incredably sharp picture and it actualy works...
paul_indo
My Nokia 2116 CDMA handphone has a flashlight, real handy if there is a power failure or you need to find something in the dark caus eyou nearly always have your handphone in your pocket but how many people carry a flashlight with them just in case they need it?

izcool wrote:

- Mike.
meet in rio
I think cellphones have too many features. Hell - if you want something to play games than buy a gaming machine, if you want an mp3 player then get an ipod, rather than having both of inferior quality in a crazily overpriced cellphone.

Or something.

It'd be nice if mine would respond to a signal (with a tiny battery reserve) even when turned off, so that if I lose it under a pile of clothes and it's run out of battery, I can make it beep to me or something.
rsheehan
Cell phones will eventually die out and be replaced by some sort of UMPC descendant. It will be an

-mp3 player
-PDA
-cell phone
-capable portable computer
-portable media center
-portable VG player
-and be expandable for so many more options. This is what I believe will happen. Devices will merge into one.
dz9c
My phone has text messaging and its a motorola. Its pretty cool.
HoboPelican
Nothing new really, just better use of existing features. well, one idea at the end of the list.

Functions that I want in a phone:
Phone
text
alarm
GPS
data storage
MP3? maybe if battery life wasn't a problem
RFID capability (handheld reader to find tagged items at home)
[FuN]goku
what functions dont cell's have today? pretty soon they'll have phones that do your laundry Razz
neotask
izcool wrote:

Ahh, how could I have forgotten the clock and the date lol ?

I heard that you can use a cellphone that's been disconnected to dial 911, not too sure about that though. That can serve another purpose for your disconnected cellphone I suppose.

- Mike.

Yeah, that is true for most mobiles. In fact, it used to be that your phone would connect to any network available for your 911, 112 or 999 call. However, many networks now block that. Isn't it annoying that you can call emergancy when its locked? Im in the Uk, and I almost called 911 by accident (Uk is 999).

Oh, and as for WIFI, Sony Ericson do that Smile
rct_adicts
cheaper ways to make them- there to expensive!
Keshav
Hey, This thread has been very nice!! I loved reading through it! Very Happy
ralphbefree
Quote:
Someone should put a flashlight at the top of a phone, when you hit a button, it'll shine the light.

This a brilliant, pardon the pun, feature. I had a kyocera with a flashlight and used it all the time and found that it didn't drain the battery as fast as one might expect.
The other day while surfing, don't have an address now, I was looking at a new nokia with a built in FM transmiter, instead of mp3's just tune in your favorite radio station.
The latest feature for my phone has been the addition of paypal mobile. with this feature my phone now becomes a basis for money transactions, both paying and recieving, it is essentially the same function as a debit card.
izcool
ralphbefree wrote:
Quote:
Someone should put a flashlight at the top of a phone, when you hit a button, it'll shine the light.

This a brilliant, pardon the pun, feature. I had a kyocera with a flashlight and used it all the time and found that it didn't drain the battery as fast as one might expect.
The other day while surfing, don't have an address now, I was looking at a new nokia with a built in FM transmiter, instead of mp3's just tune in your favorite radio station.
The latest feature for my phone has been the addition of paypal mobile. with this feature my phone now becomes a basis for money transactions, both paying and recieving, it is essentially the same function as a debit card.

Those are very interesting, I hadn't a clue on that you could do things like that until now. Smile Now that expands my horizon on what they can do lol. I've heard about Smart Cards some time ago as a method to store all personal information when doing money transactions, but I don't think they've become very popular.

- Mike.
frozenhead
Well, my phone do a several of stuffs for me.

- Alarm (time to get up in the morning for work)
- Organiser (To do's)
- Office Automation (I can carry my docs, presentations and slides with me and just connect it though infrared or bluetooth).
- GPRS (wap surfing)
- as a PC modem (out of town internet connection)
kung_fu_stu
I have absolutely nothing to ad to this discussion because I still have yet to own a cellphone and on top of that I have no desire to own one either. However, I will admit that in the next few year I will almost certainly need one (sadly).
Blaster
In the next few years you wont' know what to do if you dont' have one. It is a big deal now so i can't belive what is to come in the next couple of years. Even old people have them. They are nice to have when you are out and all.
izcool
kung_fu_stu wrote:
I have absolutely nothing to ad to this discussion because I still have yet to own a cellphone and on top of that I have no desire to own one either. However, I will admit that in the next few year I will almost certainly need one (sadly).

Well, they're really handy to have around. It's such of a hassle nowadays to find a payphone to use, as most of them have been taken out due to the popularity of cellphones. One was taken out of my work because of being vandalized so much, and also for the reason that cellphones are now taking over. Instead of hunting a payphone down, you just whip out the cellphone, find the name in your addressbook, and you're there. I've been living without one for so long that I always was pushing my parents into getting me one. My dad finally got me one this last Christmas and I love the thing so much. He's actually saving money by us having them, because he would always call the house to talk to me. Now that we have cellphones under the same network (we use T-Mobile), we have the free phone-to-phone deal where you can talk to any T-Mobile phone for free. Free nights and weekends, the works. That's just what I've been through and think.

- Mike.
Blaster
They are so cheap nowadays too. And if you are ever in a place where you needed help like if you broke down on a highway. It is much easier to get the cell phone and dial a number then to have to walk. Or if you seen a car accident. It can be a real life saver at times so they can be really helpful. I got mine two years ago. I payed for it to. I was only starting 7th grade then. Very Happy

And yes you do save money with haveing a cell phone. For 25 cents a call to like .05 cents for like 5 minutes.
faker
1 thing bad about cell phone is that its size if possible maybe 1 day we can see cell phone that just need to put on the ear like the size of a bluetooth headset =)
xboxobie
I used to have a Nokia 6680,

And while it's smartphome and simbian technology was fantastic, I dont feel phones are quite "There"

Soon no doub twe'll have nice sized handsets that can do anything from play a full dvd, to full htmll access, Bu tat this time, Companys are trying too hard on visual flare, and many concentrate on key specifications rather than making a good all round product.

Alot of people I know are still using the trusty nokia 3310/3330, Because it was a great all round phone.

Personally i'm all for new technology, And i've currently got a Motorola Razr v3b,
Very stylish, But I think Both Motorola and Nokia could do with refining there whole menu system, Both are gettign a little "Past there sell by date"
RaMo
Hey Everyone, Well i got those new Nokia N70 well its pretty old now but i got when it was new. It was worth $1000 AUD and i bought it for $160 AUD. It's a pretty amazing phone with a Memory Card Slot, I have a 512mb memory stick ive got 110 songs so far on it and still 40 mb left on the memory stick and 30mb on the phone, i got a mill photos and videos,

My Nokia N70 Has...

*Camera/Video Camera
*Notes/Organiser
*GPRS/Bluetton/Sync
*Plays All Kinds Of Music Files except Flashes
*Games-Snake 3D, Snowboarding 3D, and some card game.
*and a whole lot of features cant be bothered typing Very Happy
HDirtwater
meet in rio wrote:
I think cellphones have too many features. Hell - if you want something to play games than buy a gaming machine, if you want an mp3 player then get an ipod, rather than having both of inferior quality in a crazily overpriced cellphone.

Amen to that. A cellphone should be used to -gasp- make phone calls, and maybe text, but that is it. Games? Please. Cameras? c'mon. The technology is outstanding, but it is getting out of control.
izcool
LMFAO, now this is what I was originally expecting when I started this thread. Don't know the language but they're speaking, but it's easy to find out what they're doing by watching.

http://www.boredatwork.net/funny-video/awesome-phone/

Can anyone do a translation on this ?

- Mike.
Donutey
some kyocera phones have flashlights built in... my k9 does...

On another note, sort of related, I've accidently washed my new(er) audiovox 8900 twice (It doenst weigh enough!! Rolling Eyes ), both times I just took it apart, dipped it in Isopropyl alcohol, then let it dry for a couple days and it worked...

At least this time my phone didn't go through the dryer. Rolling Eyes

Ironically my k9 works better at making calls than my new phone..., and it has a really nifty feature that turns up the volume when there is more ambient noise (like in a crowded room)...
aenemike
I've a Nokia 3200 (old, I know, but I love it) and it has the best feature I never thought I needed...
It has a flashlight built into it!
It's insanely bright too, and doesn't drain the battery anymore than talking on the phone does.
When I bought the phone I thought "what a useless feature."
But I've used it countless times when I'm fumbling with my keys at my car at night, or looking for something I lost in a drunken stuppor at a party.
Best feature ever!
It has a camera and all that too, but I never seem to "need" the camera for anything.
anthonygerbils
well flashlight, games, reminders, texting, ringing and of course 3g which is so cool as it is class to see the person you are talking to (so cool).
alarm, calander and well nearly everything as they are allways changing.
oh yeah dont forget camera and video recording.
Summer
im using sony ericsson w800i and i luv it !
statusfashions
i would really likem commerce enabled phones. i heard about it a couple of years back but i dout whether there are any functions like that.
still:
i heard that some companies are going to use our sim as ur credit card so not need to take along ur card now its in ur cell phone!!!!
also it can have identification no or something.
i am business man so i am really looking for mobile ebay something.
i want to create a shopping site which can be accessed frm mobile and people can order from there. also they can make payment from mobile via sms.
how great thinking.
if any on e knows something abt this comment here
thiamshui
Cellphones can also be used as a mirror nowadays! Very Happy 3logy (3G) phones come with a front camera, which allow you to see yourself on the phone.. This way, you can comb your hair, etc without a mirror! Laughing
seanooi
I'm currently using a sony ericsson s700i, but not really loving it as it is too bulky. The functions are good, but not really up to my standard yet, guess i'm just asking for too much out of a cellphone Laughing
shwetanshu
izcool wrote:

- Mike.

Well Nokia 1100 model, built specially for India has a flash light on top of the phone... but the phone flopped but some new phones built for India, do have this feature from other companies also

and i have nokia 3315.. modified version of 3310