FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


changing Start Menu Name into ..Whatever you want





gatech
Hey y'all here is a cool web site that will show you how to change start button on destktop into your name or something meaninful to you! + there are so many cool tips and trick for windows home and pro. Good Luck, you will like it

http://www.theeldergeek.com/change_text_on_xp_start_button.htm
cheeta
well what would be the best thing to call a start button?? may be start is the best word to use... so i dont like changing it... Very Happy Very Happy
Nyizsa
cheeta wrote:
well what would be the best thing to call a start button?? may be start is the best word to use... so i dont like changing it... Very Happy Very Happy

In the case of Windows... Hope maybe... Very Happy
gatech
I find it very unique because i can change it whatever I want not whatever Bill Gates want:) But hey... It is your choice to keep your old fashion start:)Smile or change it what you want
ocalhoun
That's pretty spiffy. I've seen people make the start button dissapear (a nice prank to use on noobs), but this is even better. I'll rename it "end".
Clash
Remember to read the caveats after the instructions on how to change the start button. You might end up with a windows that does 'Stop' Laughing
{name here}
ocalhoun wrote:
That's pretty spiffy. I've seen people make the start button dissapear (a nice prank to use on noobs), but this is even better. I'll rename it "end".

I actually did that on accident once by installing WPS for windows 3.1 on Win 2000. It removed the desktop, the taskbar, and the start menu. I had to reinstall to fix it.
ocalhoun
{name here} wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
That's pretty spiffy. I've seen people make the start button dissapear (a nice prank to use on noobs), but this is even better. I'll rename it "end".

I actually did that on accident once by installing WPS for windows 3.1 on Win 2000. It removed the desktop, the taskbar, and the start menu. I had to reinstall to fix it.

No, I'm talking about the taskbat is still there just as it sould be, but instead of the start button, there is a black rectangle that does nothing if you clidk it. (and its permanent)
Unmindful
What's wrong with it saying 'start'? I think it's stupid how people think they're "sup3r 1337" because they can change that crap. Oh well.
ocalhoun
Or, we could all just run linux and modify whatever we want...
matrix07
FIRSTLY,YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD A UTILITY CALLED ResHack.zip FROM THE LINK http://delphi.icm.edu.pl/ftp/tools/ResHack.zip AT D COMMAND PROMT TYPE 'copy c:\window\explorer.exe c\windows\explorer.old' TO BACK UP EXPLORER.EXE.NOW UNZIP RESHACK.ZIP FILE AND DOUBLE CLICK ON RESHACKER.EXE.GO TO File>Open>c:\windows\explorer.exe.GO TO STRING TABLE>37>1033 AND CHANGE THE VALUE OF STRING 578 FROM "START" TO WATEVER U WANT!.
NOW GO TO File>Save As> and save the file as C:\Windows\explorer.new.EXIT THE RESHACK APPLICATION AND CLICK START>SHUT DOWN>RESTART IN MS-DOS MODE.AT THE COMMAND PROMPT TYPE 'copy explorer .new explorer.exe' N PRESS [ENTER] THEN TYPE
EXIT AND PRESS [ENTER] AGAIN.THAT SHOULD DO THE TRICK!!!!
Clash
matrix07 wrote:
FIRSTLY,YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD A UTILITY CALLED ResHack.zip FROM THE LINK http://delphi.icm.edu.pl/ftp/tools/ResHack.zip AT D COMMAND PROMT TYPE 'copy c:\window\explorer.exe c\windows\explorer.old' TO BACK UP EXPLORER.EXE.NOW UNZIP RESHACK.ZIP FILE AND DOUBLE CLICK ON RESHACKER.EXE.GO TO File>Open>c:\windows\explorer.exe.GO TO STRING TABLE>37>1033 AND CHANGE THE VALUE OF STRING 578 FROM "START" TO WATEVER U WANT!.
NOW GO TO File>Save As> and save the file as C:\Windows\explorer.new.EXIT THE RESHACK APPLICATION AND CLICK START>SHUT DOWN>RESTART IN MS-DOS MODE.AT THE COMMAND PROMPT TYPE 'copy explorer .new explorer.exe' N PRESS [ENTER] THEN TYPE
EXIT AND PRESS [ENTER] AGAIN.THAT SHOULD DO THE TRICK!!!!

Eh???

That's pretty much whats on the ElderGeek page, why are you regurgitating it here?
Srs2388
not to piss on someones parade, but i think start is appropiate lol
i could make it say a bad word.
or something cool though... but editing all those files could really screw something up
i like windows blinds much better

edit: sorry i used a bad word...... use your imigination =) lol
{name here}
Srs2388 wrote:
not to piss on someones parade, but i think start is appropiate lol
i could make it say a bad word.
or something cool though... but editing all those files could really screw something up
i like windows blinds much better

edit: sorry i used a bad word...... use your imigination =) lol

That is why you're supposed to backup explorer. If something screws up you can use the task manager to invoke the command line and start regedit and fix the enitre mess.
Daniel15
Ah yes, I remember doing stuff like this... I actually wrote a guide on something similar

EDIT: I reuploaded my tutorial to http://users.tpg.com.au/dan15/Editing stuff in windows.pdf if you're still interested... I'm not sure if the stuff in it will still work, I wrote that in 2003/2004 when I was using Windows 98 on a Pentium 1 with 32MB RAM and a 600MB hard drive Razz
Related topics
Setting up Ftp Server
Boot up Windows XP 60 times faster
Windows XP Tricks & Tips!!!!
In Command: The Windows Command Prompt
The Bootloader about execute program in SRAM
Launchy
Windows 7 Official Thread
Remove Log Off and Turn Off Computer from Start Menu
PHP! Ahhh! How to edit! What is this installer?
Changing the Domain name in Exchange 2007
Which is better: windows 7 or ubuntu9.10 ?
Caught A Virus? Here's what to do.
How To Make Start Menu Icons Smaller In Windows 7
All icons disappeard and Start Menu doesn't work
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.