FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet issue under Win98SE

Urahara
I'm trying to help my friend's WIN98SE computer to hook up to the internet through a router. The problem I'm having is like this:

I can ping any outside website such as www.google.com successfully.
I can view the LAN.
The cable modem status = OK.
I cannot connect to the internet.

Anyone got any ideas?
Animal
Have you changed the Connection Settings to use the LAN connection instead of defaulting to the dial-up settings?

Open IE, go to TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > CONNECTIONS and change dial-up settings to "Never dial a connection".

That help?
ezekiel_rage
Urahara wrote:
I'm trying to help my friend's WIN98SE computer to hook up to the internet through a router. The problem I'm having is like this:

I can ping any outside website such as www.google.com successfully.
I can view the LAN.
The cable modem status = OK.
I cannot connect to the internet.

Anyone got any ideas?

Is your router have DHCP enabled? if so you can go to control panel and view the Local Area Network Properties, select the TCP/IP entry, click properties and select "Automatically Detect Settings". click OK then reboot.

After rebooting, open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", then "Options". On the connection tab click on the LAN Settings button, a new Dialog box will pop-up and then select "Automatically detect Settings" hit OK and your done.

Test your connection and browse to my site for mor tips and tricks, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If your Router is set to Static IPs, check what is the IP of your router, ussually its 192.168.x.1 (ex: 192.168.100.1).

If thats the case, do the same as above but on the TCP/IP properties select "use the following address" and put in an IP address patterned after your router's IP.

If your router's IP is 192.168.100.1 tyhen you can use 192.168.100.2 up to 192.168.100.255.

Below that is the Subnet Mask entry, ussually 255.255.255.0 will work, try that first

Apply the changes then reboot.

After rebooting, open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", then "Options". On the connection tab click on the LAN Settings button, a new Dialog box will pop-up and then select "Proxy Server" on the address box type in your router's address and type in 8080 on the port box.

You may also have to click the advanced button another dialog box will pop-up.

On the HTTP box type the address of your router, and on the port type 8080 and click on the "Use the same proxy" ticker box.

click OK to apply the changes

And of course to test brose to my site for more tips and tricks
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Urahara
Yeah I got all that easy stuff chcked out. The settings are fine because under a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine the internet is ok. And Automatically detect settings did not effect my connection problem. Never dial a connection is of course on. I'm going to try a Proxy server.
aleksandarp
You can use some routing software like WinRoute.
Clash
You could also run winipcfg to see if the Win98 box is picking up an ip address from the router.

As you are able to ping an outside website, then the problem is within IE. Check your connection settings again. Perhaps you have a proxy server from before, and IE is still using it. IE under Win98 is always troublesome. it might be an idea to install firefox or something like it, just to get away from the prob.
SoftStag
If you can ping google.com then the routing is fine. The problem must be with the connection settings in IE. Make sure you have no proxy set, unless your ISP requires one. Also, make sure if you are using a personal firewall, like ZoneAlarm, that it is not blocking IE.