FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Too much spam

mOrpheuS
I have been here since the begining & I see this forum slowly turning into a place for philosophical essays & product reviews etc... basically all sort of useless copy-pasted and spam topics.
(especially some of the recent posts I've seen after the weekend)

Most general purpose subforums (especially general chat) are now full of 2-3 pagelength long topics, which take very long even to scroll down till the end, but which get no replies at all (but these topics definitely get the 2 points for the poster Twisted Evil ). I don't know about others, but this is a big turn-off for me atleast.

I don't have the time or patience to read through a 10kb topic, and I'm sure nobody here does. If nobody is going to read it, why is the topic even there then ?

I guess it's pretty complicated.
Don't have a post requirement for hosting and people come, take hosting and never show up again.
Have a posting requirement and people spam like hell.
Have a post length based point system and people copy-paste entire sites.

I have seen many hosting forums from the time they were started out till the time they turned totally dysfunctional with all the spam.(basically the forums became a unpleasant/wasteful place)

I don't have any bright ideas about what can be done, rather I'm asking the serious people here to think of something (I'm thinking too meanwhile Laughing )

p.s. - I don't like/want to pick a fight with anybody. just expressing my opinion in general.
Wink
gonzo
Perhaps the admin would be sporting enough to try a forum SpamAssassin hack? Wink I'll see if I can google up the url again.
mOrpheuS
gonzo wrote:
Perhaps the admin would be sporting enough to try a forum SpamAssassin hack? Wink I'll see if I can google up the url again.

lol... Laughing are you kidding or does such a thing as "forum SpamAssassin hack" really exist ?
I've never seen one (I'm sure I browsed through most of phpbb.com site's mods section)
sounds too good to be true.
but if it does exist, and does what the name suggests...excellent !
Wink
gonzo
I recall seeing something like that. Being a fuzzy memory it turns out it waasn't listed on the php hack sites. I wonder what I was thinking of...
Bondings
I will add some moderators and account creators soon. Maybe this will also stop the flood of spam and semi-spam. At the moment I'm doubting which posts to delete and which posts to keep. Sometimes it's hard to decide. But next time I will rather delete a post if just looks a bit like spam.

Should a system, where you get warned for a spam post and after three warnings, immediate ip-banning and account deletion, be a good idea? Or something similar?
dionet
Bondings wrote:

Should a system, where you get warned for a spam post and after three warnings, immediate ip-banning and account deletion, be a good idea? Or something similar?

I think that is a good idea. And the host account will be immediate deleted.

And a thing saying:
Quote:
This is tha last warning.
(an example)
mOrpheuS
Bondings wrote:
But next time I will rather delete a post if just looks a bit like spam.
Hey ! please don't be that strict, that might only have a negative effect.
Bondings wrote:

warning system would be good.

At my last host the forum was a bit too over-moderated.
people used to get warnings for almost anything, and that used to cause a lot of conflict. heck the moderators were fighting against each other !
The place was run by some kids who just loved to use their admin or moderator rights.

Whatever you do, just don't let it come to that. moderation should be extremely mild. Even if a warning system is implemented, there should be a fairly friendly note from the admin or mod to the alleged spammer before issuing a warning. In that case account deletion after three warnings would be justified. Getting a feeling into the new members (assuming that the older ones alreay know) that spamming is NOT welcome is more important than banning members to avoid spam.
I have seen one forum where the spammer is flamed by other members themselves and spams are kept to a minimum this way, without any admin interference. that place has tens of thousands of members but only 1 admin & no moderators !

So, police the forums but be gentle.
Wink