FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Freeze!

bk6969
Hey

I am not very computer literate so this may be a very easy fix, but I don't know what it is.

I have recently started having problems with my computer freezing up on me. I can't even push the on off button. I wind up having to unplug the tower.

What is causing this? and how can I fix this problem.?

Also how bad is it to unplug my computer like this and are there any other options that I have when my computer freezes up like that?

All help appreciated

Thanks
Brian
Animal
What kind of computer do you have?
What's your operating system?
When does the crash occur?
Nyizsa
Yes, tell us some more about your configuration, and which application you used when it froze.
If you don't want to unplug the computer, try pressing and holding the power button for a while. It should turn off.
ocalhoun
This is usualy a very hard to diagnose sort of problem (unless the freeze always comes directly after something you do on the computer).

It could mean any of these things (and problably others):

The application you are using is not well designed/ configured.
You have a virus.
Your computer is overheating severely.
Your motherboard or memory or CPU is malfunctioning.
You have not enough RAM for what you are trying to do.
Your OS has become corrupted with age.
You have a low-level IRQ conflict.

My suggestion is if, like you say, you are not an expert at computer repair it will probably be better to either get someone who knows what he's doing to fix it, or replace it.
wumingsden
bk6969 wrote:
Hey

I am not very computer literate so this may be a very easy fix, but I don't know what it is.

I have recently started having problems with my computer freezing up on me. I can't even push the on off button. I wind up having to unplug the tower.

Also how bad is it to unplug my computer like this and are there any other options that I have when my computer freezes up like that?

All help appreciated

Thanks
Brian

Have you tried pressing "Control => Alt => Delete when this happens ? Usually this is a safer method. If this doesn't work then the only thing you can do is what you do.
Also is your computer using a lot of CPU, diskspace, etc ? If so this can cause your PC to slow down/crash. It is recommend to defragement it, etc, every other week.
To fix the problem of crashing completely you could reboot the PC, which will take it back to its original state when your brought it. Note that this will delete all files/folders, installed software/drivers, etc, but you may think that its worth it.
bk6969
Animal wrote:
What kind of computer do you have?
What's your operating system?
When does the crash occur?

Computer= dell4700c/pent.4
Op. sys=windows xp
It usually crashes when I am on Traffic Exchanges and auto surfs. but somtime when I'm just surfin around.

I run AVG free version for anti virus and Ad ware.
I run full scans after I get off of the net.
I usually turn off computer after use.
bk6969
wumingsden wrote:
bk6969 wrote:
Hey

All help appreciated

Thanks
Brian

Have you tried pressing "Control => Alt => Delete when this happens ? Usually this is a safer method. If this doesn't work then the only thing you can do is what you do.
Also is your computer using a lot of CPU, diskspace, etc ? If so this can cause your PC to slow down/crash. It is recommend to defragement it, etc, every other week.
To fix the problem of crashing completely you could reboot the PC, which will take it back to its original state when your brought it. Note that this will delete all files/folders, installed software/drivers, etc, but you may think that its worth it.

I have tryed ctrl alt del but nothing will happen and I do defrag. Probly 2 or 3 times a week.
ocalhoun
Are you using internet explorer?
That falls under the catagory:
you are using a program that is not well disigned / configured.
Animal
If it only happens when you're using a web browser, then this could be the problem. Try a different browser and see if it makes any difference.

If not, you would be best to telephone Dell tech support - they'll be able to diagnose the problem and tell you if it's likely to be a hardware or software fault, and how best to fix it.
bk6969
ocalhoun wrote:
Are you using internet explorer?
That falls under the catagory:
you are using a program that is not well disigned / configured.

Yes IE browser and have also tryed mozilla and had same prob.

What program do you mean not well designed/ conf.?
Animal
bk6969 wrote:
What program do you mean not well designed/ conf.?

It means that he doesn't like Internet Explorer and thinks that nobody else should use it.
Clash
One thing that you can do is if you have a good idea as to when the problem started happening is to run system restore to a date prior to that. So if you think that the problem happened for the first time three weeks ago, go through your System Restore for a date about a month ago.

The only thing you will lose is any program that you installed in the intervening time will probably have to be reinstalled. Reinstall them carefully, as one of these may have been the root cause of the problem.

Try this first, many people forget that this is an option when the system becomes unstable for whatever reason.
Xeniczone
Hmm...

I had the same problem with my pentium 3 I tried 2 things.

A better cooling system.

Different Memory.

Pentiums all have 1 main issue. HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT!!!!
GOD INTEL FIX IT YOUR CPUS OVERHEAT TO MUCH!!!

Anyway, (im not mental) memory when computer trys to access or store memory on a bad memory stick. (windows) doesn't give you the usual of the BSOD it just locks up. Fun stuff. Have fun.
Clash
bk6969 wrote:
I can't even push the on off button. I wind up having to unplug the tower.

Your power switch is probably on a time delay (set in the BIOS). If you hold the switch in for about 5 seconds the computer should switch off.