FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The new crustacean

Garnet

Quote:

New Animal Resembling Furry Lobster Found
Staff and agencies
12 March, 2006

Tue Mar 7, 9:28 PM ET

PARIS - A team of American-led divers has discovered a new crustacean in the South Pacific that resembles a lobster and is covered with what looks like silky, blond fur, French researchers said Tuesday.

The divers found the animal in waters 7,540 feet deep at a site 900 miles south of Easter Island last year, according to Michel Segonzac of the French Institute for Sea Exploration.

The animal is white and just shy of 6 inches long about the size of a salad plate.

It is also blind. The researchers found it had only "the vestige of a membrane" in place of eyes, Segonzac said.

The family was named Kiwaida, from Kiwa, the goddess of crustaceans in Polynesian mythology.

Pretty cool isn't he? This has got to be my new favourite animal. Anyone I show it to is either horrified, or in awe of the thing. I was pretty sad to learn they hauled the poor little guy up to the surface. Thoughts?
menhao
yes, it looks funny, i like it,haha
Vrythramax
ugly little sucker ain't it? It's amazing (to me anyway) all of the new [to us that is] creatures they are constantly finding in the ocean. I live in a fishing community and I am hearing stories all the time from fishermen about the wierd things that they bring up in thier nets. I have seen some pretty strange stuff that they have brought home with them and all I can say that most of them are really ugly! It's no wonder they hide out in the darkest parts of the ocean....they would scare any other self-respecting fish right out of the water. Smile
Jack_Hammer
Looks as though it's fake to me...
Rolling Eyes
Jamatu
Not fake read about it in the newspapers about a week ago Exclamation
planet
*geezer picks a hair out of his dentures*,, no good fer mah Lobster Burgers!
Reaper
he's right it looks fake, and it would help if the bg on it was not photoshoped out, prove that this is not just a scam man post a link to the original artical so we can read it ourselfs because its kinda hard to just take your word for it.
Garnet
He's not a fake, who here reads the New York Times? This little guy was in there. Or you could check out msn news, he was on there a few days ago.
Code of Ruin
That thing definitely needs to see a good barber. I wonder why it is covered in hair. I have never seen any crustacean with hair that wasn't already dead on shore for 4 weeks.
skaccomatto
I don't think it's fake.
Tha fact that he has no eyes is just because you don't need them when you live in the dark Rolling Eyes
Reaper
skaccomatto wrote:
I don't think it's fake.
Tha fact that he has no eyes is just because you don't need them when you live in the dark Rolling Eyes

er no-one here mentioned eyes and seeing in the dark, also the crabs underside is showing so the eyes are on the other side.....
Also if it was in the new york times then I have a suggestion, take a scissors cut the damn article out and scan it onto your computer then post the image here!