FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USB Flash Drive

Zuwiki
Recently I recieved a SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB flash drive as a gift from a relative. It is not my flash drive of choice, but it was welcomed and appreciated nonetheless.

You really don't need to read the next 3 paragraphs if you don't want to, but they may help. If you don't want to, skip down to the 6th paragraph where is says "Now, you didn't have to read all of that" Wink

Here is my problem. The drive came formatted with SanDisk's special software, like U3 Smart Launcher or something like that, and a couple other things. The main problem is that they want you to use their software to write files to it. I am a 99% pure Linux user, and of course, they write their software for Windows only (jerks). When I plugged it in on my Windows computer, the little balloon popped up in the bottom right saying that new hardware was found and didn't need to be installed and was working properly. Then something comes up saying stuff about launching U3 Smart something or another.

When I plug it into my Linux computer, it auto-detects it and an icon appears on my GNOME desktop with a link to a "937.4 MB Removable Volume." This may be important, because it is supposed to be 1GB. Also, a file browser window pops up titled "usbdisk" and in it is 2 Folders and an executable. The folders are System and Documents. System has 3 other folders which are the stupid little software things that it comes with, like password protection and such. There is also the executable. It is a Windows .EXE file named LaunchU3. Should tell you something. When I delete all those files, they go away. If I remove it and plug it in again, they reappear! Also, I cannot write anything to it without that disappearing after removing it. This is obviously because they want me to use Windows and use the USB eject option in the little menu thing.

When I close the window, I notice something interesting. It has also mounted a CDROM that I don't have. When I try it again in Windows, it does the same thing. I have deducted that it is a virtual drive created by the flash drive's software it comes with.

Now, you didn't really have to read all of that, so here is the summary. I got a flash drive for free and can't use it on Linux, and on Windows it loads a bunch of useless programs when I plug it in. Is there a way that I can use it in Linux, keep it from mounting a virtual CDROM, and permanently remove the files and software that are already on it? Also, not necessary, but I would like it to have 1GB of usable space.

I hear things of being able format it somehow, used mostly to make it bootable. Is there a way to format it?

I thank you largely in advance, and now I am going to sleep. Wink
Rocky3478
I'm not clear on Linux, so I can't help you there. However, the free space issue on your thumb drive is most likely because of standard FAT32 formatting. You'll lose some disk space for the formatting structure. My 4Gb iPod Nano actually only has 3.75 Gbs of space for the same reason.....
Zuwiki
Ah, I see. Do you know how I could format it to a different filesystem? Or just reformat it in the same filesystem?
kany
Well thats easy buddy.

Just insert your usb
Right click over its drive letter and
Click Format
Clash
Rocky3478 wrote:
I'm not clear on Linux, so I can't help you there. However, the free space issue on your thumb drive is most likely because of standard FAT32 formatting. You'll lose some disk space for the formatting structure. My 4Gb iPod Nano actually only has 3.75 Gbs of space for the same reason.....
That's because drive manufacturers have always measured capacity in millions of bytes rather than true Gigabytes. 3.75Gb by 1024 x 1024 is 3932160000 bytes, which rounded up is 4Gb. 4gb is actually 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes or 4294967296 bytes.

Clear? Smile