FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any writers here

DSF-Deathcycle121
I was just wondering is there any writers here. For me myself is a writer, ever hear of a book called Riches to Rags, Well thats my book
Gieter
I write short-stories from time to time, I have no plannings yet on writing a 'real' book. Unfortunately, most are in Dutch, except for one:

http://gieter.frih.net/?p=13

Excuse me if there are some mistakes in it! I had to write this for school, the diary entry of Horation Nelson on the day of Battle of Trafalgar. It's a but absurd, it isn't meant to be realistic. Wink
nodnarb5050
I am working on a book called God of War. It explains the beggening of the greek earth and then goes into a story about Area, the God of War.
drkarthi
I am an amateur writer of short stories and sometimes non fiction.
imera
I have always wanted to write a book or a long novel, but I lost interest before I got started. I found out that I did not have a goal for why write anything. But now I have to write a book till august, it is going to be the birthday gift for my boyfriend Smile .

If it will be a good Confused book will show later on. I have thought about the beginning and some stuff that I want to happened later on. It will be a surprise for me as for him. I just need to get into it so I wont get bored.
Laughing
Forgotten Legends
I'm a writer of fanfictions and originals. But I'm currently writing a story that I've just begun and hopefully published when I get it done.
Reina
I write a lot. I usually do the first chapters and then something just drives me nuts about it and i cant figure out why my ideas arent working, so i start again.
I'm currently at the 'starting again' stage with my latest. It's nameless etc etc. I've written the second chapter, but i hate it. I still like the first chapter.
The general idea of the story is a teenaged girl named Ainsley and her wild 'friend' Kim whos leading her astray. There is a division in the high school of kids who hang at the beach and kids who hang at the hill. Ainsley falls in love with a beautiful boy from the hill who initially sweeps her off her feet but then falls to the ways of the wild beach boys. Ainsley is a talented horse rider and is offered many exciting challenges, all of which are ruined by her partying.
I havent thought of the 'perfect' ending for it yet.
saratdear
Hi!
Does anyone out there love to write? I like reading. I'd like to try my hand at writing. But I'm only 13 years old. So does anyone of my age like to write or am I completely nuts?
sci-fi girl
saratdear wrote:
Hi!
Does anyone out there love to write? I like reading. I'd like to try my hand at writing. But I'm only 13 years old. So does anyone of my age like to write or am I completely nuts?

I'm about your age and I love to write!

I'm 14 and I've been writing as a hobby since I was about 10. I started off with mainly poetry and short stories. Now I still write poetry, but also fan fiction (mainly for Stargate and Star Trek) and I'm currently working on a novel-project which I started around June last year. I'm also co-writer of a script for a Stargate Fan Movie.

So just because you're only 13 don't let that stop you Wink
ohfudge
No, I don't think just cause you're thirteen you should be nuts because you write. Smile Writing is fun. I have been writing all of my life. (and I am only 14 years old.) Writing is something that I really enjoy, and I plan to major in it.

_ohFUDGE! (Elly Jean)
headoncollision
I'm 18 and I'm heading down a creative writing major at college. I loved writing at a very young age as well.
vlnjodie
Your age doesn't make what you like to do less valid. I think that if you like to write you should go with it. Writing (like anything else) needs to be practiced often, and many times getting the words on the page is the hardest part. I have known writers that do writing everyday just to make sure they are pushing their skills. What do you like to write? Poems? Short stories? Novels? If it's several areas practice many areas each day.
CrookedBlaze
www.fictionpress.com

That site is ****** KICK. ASS. A whole bunch of original fiction. It's siter site for non-original is www.fanfiction.net

Both fantastic sites.

I absolutely love to write. I have a very photographic mind, though, so when I write it is hard to get my pictures onto paper. And I am also horrible with parralell structure because I think faster then I can write.

But I think that writing and music and someone your ages best outlet for your feelings. Don't do drugs or drink. Write a song, write a story...listen to some music. It can also come in handy when it's time to look for a job.

If you can when you get into High School, some community colleges hold writing classes for High School students. (Mesa Comminuty College here in San Diego does.) and it's a pretty awesome experience having college professors look at and critisize your work.
CrookedBlaze
I like to write, but I have a very photographic mind and it's hard getting my pictures onto paper...so it takes a LOT! of rewriting.

But I just enjoy writing. I write most poetry...but it all depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll come hom and listen to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by the Beatles over and over and write a 100 page book.
Traveller
Mostly poetry, but some fanfiction a long time ago when I was a teenager.

NOTE: Since there was a duplicate topic titled, "Who loves to write?" it has been merged into this one.
ashenwrest
Non-Fiction science and history books, articles, stories and other works.
saurabh.sauron
i only write humorous and 'silly' stories. i also write humorous poetry sometimes.
CrookedBlaze
Yah, my specialty is parody.
johnnycake
I love writing and right now I'm making this short story/mid-sized book thing
it's still pretty much all ideas and nothing's really set into stone yet
but I've got the prologue down though Wink http://jcvg.blogspot.com/

it starts on the very bottom upwards
Weslyn
saratdear wrote:
But I'm only 13 years old. So does anyone of my age like to write or am I completely nuts?

I started writing my own little novels when I was 9, so no, you're not nuts. Writing can be hard for a lot of people, and if I can give one bit of advice, it would be: Even if you think it's crap, keep going. Don't delete anything until you've finished and then go back, otherwise you're likely to become too frustrated to finish. (Or if you must, take what you don't like and just pile it into a separate document for you to go back to).

I had to learn this while going through my stages as a writer. I fully intend to be published one day. It may sound big-headed, but I think you need a certain amount of confidence to put your work out there -there are a lot of critics.

If anyone's interested to know: I write fantasy, (and some HP fandom).
kazoe
I'm a short story writer, but most of my concepts went as a form of comics (since i can draw) so i make it that way. Its been years since I stopped writing (stupid college.) its hard to squeeze time to write if all you do is to draw 20 hrs a day with almost no sleep at all.

So, 3yrs after I graduated, I have only been able to pick up what I left. I think I'm being dusty and I'm currently having struggles since I think I'm getting rusty and English is not my first language. I'm currently working on something that hopefully a publisher can accept, but I've been thinking of doing it in comic form instead. I dont know, I'm still in the process of making a decision out of it.

My genre is mostly fantasy but i like horror and parody as well(it gets sarcastic most of the time when i do parody)
whatif
I really enjoy writing, however I have started to feel that I cannot express myself as I used to. Oh, how annoying it is! For example, I have finished part one of a two-part novel I am writing. Part two has not been added to in months! I have another story basically worked out in my mind, even some of the paragraphs are worked out in my mind, however when it comes to typing, everything flies out. (I have around one page there.) I also have so many ideas that it is hard for me to stay on one. I want to write historical fiction, fantasy, etc. (I those are two opposite genres. I myself like very few fantasy books, but some are good, and I want to write a good one!)
I believe I have the ability in me, however I think it is covered with so much dust! Any ideas for me?
My first book (a very short novel) I wrote when I was eight. Although I now do not know whether to laugh or cry when I read it, I do not think it is bad for an eight-year old.
Weslyn
Dear Whatif:

I can sympathise with what you wrote. My suggestion: Read. Reading another's words often can free-up some of the blockage you have when it comes to sitting down and typing, because what happens, (I find), is that a writer gets used to a certain method and phrasing when it comes to putting words to paper. After a while that just get really quite dry, and you feel unable to express yourself as clearly as you might like because it often feels like you're just repeating yourself.

Or you could try writing in a notebook first. I personally keep a notebook where I can just jot down little snippets of converstation or imagery when it comes to me, because I know if I don't -I'll lose it, and when it comes to write that part, I won't be able to remember the very great idea I had for it. If you get all those little ideas out, it frees up space for new thoughts -don't worry about where it might come in.

Don't censor yourself! Too many struggling writers constantly censor themselves, believeing that it sounds too clichť, or not good enough, or maybe even afraid to write what they really want to for fear of judgement. It's important to go with your first thoughts -get it all out first, and then go back and edit as need be.

All right, before this turns out into a full blown lecture -I'll end it here. I don't know if that helps, but maybe it'll help someone.
whatif
Weslyn wrote:
Don't censor yourself!

Firstly, thanks for your interest.
It's easier said than done. When I feel that the writing is not as it should be, I stop writing. I keep thinking that maybe I've lost it. (Is it possible to lose it? Can you be a great writer when you're twelve and lose it when you're fourteen?)
Also, why is it that everything sounds so great in your head and then loses its life on paper?
Weslyn
whatif wrote:
Firstly, thanks for your interest.
It's easier said than done. . .

Hmm, *thinks for a moment*... Everything's easier said then done. I've known from personal experience that to look at something and then try it yourself, you learn that there's a lot more to it. Don't expect writing to be easy. Authors have editors -people who they bounce ideas off of, people who correct their work and writing style. Even well known authors struggle. Some times the words come, and other times... Well, I'm sure you know what I mean.

whatif wrote:
When I feel that the writing is not as it should be, I stop writing.

Not as it should be...? *laughs* Sorry, dear, but what should it be? There's certainly no right or wrong according to your own artistic freedom, but I think I know what you mean. What you're trying to say is that you have an idea, and you write it out -or try to and somewhere along the way it's not what you wanted to say... it didn't come out right but more importantly -it doesn't feel right. It doesn't have that same sort of feeling your imagination had.

whatif wrote:
(Is it possible to lose it? Can you be a great writer when you're twelve and lose it when you're fourteen?)

Lose it? I know that people change and interests change, but talent? No, people can waste talent and let themselves become rusty, but I don't think they can just 'lose' it.

whatif wrote:
Also, why is it that everything sounds so great in your head and then loses its life on paper?

You're fourteen? (I'm assuming 'cause that's the example you gave.) Not that age matters terribly much when it comes to talent -age matters only so far as experience goes. Here's two suggestions for you:
1) It's very important to keep up on reading. Reading other people's words can give you inspiration -see how other people involve the reader or set out dialogue or visuals. Don't just read -study style and technique. Get a feel for how different authors handle words and compare how you handle words. Now, this may get a bit depressing and disheartening and you may start to think 'I could never write like that' -RUBBISH. Sure you can, just don't set yourself up for disappointment by setting your expectations too high.
2) Write. Grab a scrap of paper, and a timer or just a wall-clock and write for 5 minutes straight. DO NOT STOP, or censor yourself. Just keep writing, you could be in the middle of a story and a thought pops into your head -write that down too. Write down everything. Your pen shouldn't stop moving until the time is up. Even if you're writing down, 'I don't know what to write', just keep going. This is a warm-up exercise that that I've learned. It frees up a lot of clogged thoughts.

And if you're having trouble with being creative... Write down adjectives, verbs, nouns and such, about 10 of each on little scraps of paper, mix 'em up and draw five. From those five, write something, it could be just drabble or a poem. Anything works.

People just don't start off as brilliant writers -you have to work at it and sometimes you have to work very hard. Writing exercises help. Practice and if you feel confident enough, have someone read your work and offer critiques. Criticism can be hard to take, but just realise they're not insulting you.
MythicalMuffin
saratdear wrote:
Hi!

I've been writing since I was in second grade, seven years old (I'm sixteen now), and never has anyone called me nuts for it. In fact, my teacher loved my stories...mainly because I was the only girl in the class who didn't write fanfics of the Saturday morning cartoons, but I'll take what I can get.

Even if they did call me "nuts", I wouldn't let it bother me - writing is something I enjoy and if people think I'm nuts for it, let them. After all, they don't have to read my work.
whatif
Weslyn wrote:
Authors have editors -people who they bounce ideas off of, people who correct their work and writing style.

I sometimes wish I'd have one...

Weslyn wrote:
Lose it? I know that people change and interests change, but talent? No, people can waste talent and let themselves become rusty, but I don't think they can just 'lose' it.

I do hope you are right. What I really was thinking was that does it make sense that one is an excellent writer compared to all co-twelve year-olds, but stays that way when s/he is fourteen (I mean good compared to twelve year-olds, but not fourteen year-olds), or is talent talent?

Weslyn wrote:
You're fourteen? (I'm assuming 'cause that's the example you gave.) Not that age matters terribly much when it comes to talent -age matters only so far as experience goes.

Was. Once. But yes, I'm quite young.
Thinking of it, fourteen probably was the age when I started feeling mute when I was writing.

Weslyn wrote:
1) It's very important to keep up on reading. Reading other people's words can give you inspiration -see how other people involve the reader or set out dialogue or visuals.

Except that then I start thinking that the writer is not me, but Dickens or whoever. And when I start comparing myself... I find that I write somewhat similarly to the two authors I dislike most.

Weslyn wrote:
Now, this may get a bit depressing and disheartening and you may start to think 'I could never write like that' -RUBBISH.

See above.

Weslyn wrote:
Sure you can, just don't set yourself up for disappointment by setting your expectations too high.

Weslyn wrote:
Sure you can, just don't set yourself up for disappointment by setting your expectations too high.

Weslyn wrote:

Weslyn wrote:
2) Write. Grab a scrap of paper, and a timer or just a wall-clock and write for 5 minutes straight. DO NOT STOP, or censor yourself. Just keep writing, you could be in the middle of a story and a thought pops into your head -write that down too. Write down everything. Your pen shouldn't stop moving until the time is up.

Ah, I was waiting to get to this part of the post.
After I read this I got off frihost and went to my writing file. And I did the above. It was so amazing... I did not stop until the phone rang, and by then I had written nearly a page. It felt great!
To say it simply: Thank you.
Weslyn
*broad smile* Great! Thatís fantastic! Iím very happy for you. Nothing like a breaking through a writerís block, eh? (Or a mute period, as you call it).

I have some questions and probably a bit more advice too, but first Iíll start off with an offer:

In the suggestion area, Iíve suggested a Writerís Group, where members can submit their writings and receive a review/critique. I think it would be very helpful. I donít know if Bondings will agree or not, but if you like, you can feel free to bounce your ideas off of me. You said you wished you had an editor, well, Iím certainly not a qualified editor by any means, but Iíve been snagged by your struggle, (having similar ones, myself), and Iíd like to help. I understand this requires a leap of faith Ėbecause Iím no more than a stranger, and ideas are often very precious things. I mean to make it clear that I would never intentionally ďstealĒ another personís idea. (I say steal in quotes because I do write fan works, but to me itís more being inspired than a thief per se. Others might disagree.) If youíre interested we can talk more about it in a PM (so as not to clog up this board), but for now Iíll let it rest.

Whatif wrote:
Except that then I start thinking that the writer is not me, but Dickens or whoever. And when I start comparing myself... I find that I write somewhat similarly to the two authors I dislike most.

How often do you write? How often do you think about writing? When you get inspired do you 1) See it like a movie playing out in your head? 2) Do you hear whatís going on, like for a radio drama? 3) Any mixture of sight or sound? How in-depth do you travel while dreaming up your stories?

Personally, I walk round the house in a haze, often murmuring snippets of conversation to myself, imagining what each person does in the scene and in what order. (Yes, sadly enough, this is what I do in my free time when no one is home.) I take note of their feelings, their facial expressions - a quirk of the lips or a slight hitch of the voice. I usually add place settings later if itís not important to whatís going on. And then, before I lose the feeling of it, I jot it down, or review it until itís committed to memory since sometimes Iím off mentally watching my own little movie during breaks at work or (most often) in the shower or washing dishes. (I could never own a dishwasher for this reason.)

Anyway, all of that is leading up to this bit of advice: Find your writing self. Your style. I understand where youíre coming from Ėexcept that Iíve always started to write like the authors I admired instead of myself. Eventually I found my own style Ėitís a process, not a natural phenomenon. We donít start off writing like ourselves. Itís like when we begin learning to talk we adopt what our parents say. Years later we may still sound a bit like out parents over the phone, but weíve grown into our own vocabulary. I know Iím being redundant, but I firmly believe that people learn to write by reading.

I sípose your prolly wondering: How To Find Your Writer Self, (as if there were some book *laughs* . . . *pauses reflectively* I shouldnít be laughing, because itís probably true). Keep up practicing. Try the one with ten nouns, adjís and verbs each.

I think thatís well enough for now.

Youíre very welcome.
evanc88
I write tons and tons of poetry. I'm an obsessive reader of Robert Frost, and, lately, Donald Hall (who, by the way, was just named as the replacement poet laureate to Ted Kooser!). If anyone here loves poetry, hopefully you'll respect this:

Donald Hall wrote:

Donald Hall
North South
(Appeared in the March, 2006 issue of Poetry Magazine)

Morning is a dog with failing hindquarters:
It can no long chase the thrown stick.

Crossing the avenue in Seattle,
I step in front of a bus
and leap clear. In Boston I stare
into the blazing warehouse,
eager for fire, terrified to burn.

You are alive when you love someone
and lie with her making the spoons.
You are alive when dead love
cuts the cords behind your knees.

Nuthatches and chickadees
eat cells of blackoil sunflower seed,
swapping their perches, gorging
their stomachs full. I feel hunger
for their hunger, for the appetite,
so swiftly satisfied, of little ones.

This morning the cat
stretches awake, yawning,
after a dream of sparrows,
sky clears into sky,
clouds scudding, mountain
lofty in morning light.
I enter again the province
of words, doman
without clocks or despair.

I love that poem : )

Is there a forum for users here to post their writing? We should all share and critique! I love reading other's writing. Is anyone else here an aspiring poet, by chance?
whatif
evanc88 wrote:
Is there a forum for users here to post their writing? We should all share and critique! I love reading other's writing. Is anyone else here an aspiring poet, by chance?

See http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=333334.
I think it contains information on something of that sort.
whatif
Weslyn wrote:
*broad smile* Great! Thatís fantastic! Iím very happy for you. Nothing like a breaking through a writerís block, eh? (Or a mute period, as you call it).

Thanks, thanks. Smile

Weslyn wrote:
In the suggestion area, Iíve suggested a Writerís Group, where members can submit their writings and receive a review/critique. I think it would be very helpful.

I wanted to post something there for the Group, however by the time I got around to it it seemed that it was taken care of. Or maybe I just didn't read carefully enough...

Weslyn wrote:
But if you like, you can feel free to bounce your ideas off of me. You said you wished you had an editor, well, Iím certainly not a qualified editor by any means, I understand this requires a leap of faith Ėbecause Iím no more than a stranger, and ideas are often very precious things. I mean to make it clear that I would never intentionally ďstealĒ another personís idea.

Trust is not an issue as I am generally too trusting of people. However, whenever I want to share my writing, I look at it and say, "This? I'm going to share this !@#$%^& writing with someone?" But maybe...

Weslyn wrote:
How often do you write? How often do you think about writing? When you get inspired do you 1) See it like a movie playing out in your head? 2) Do you hear whatís going on, like for a radio drama? 3) Any mixture of sight or sound? How in-depth do you travel while dreaming up your stories?

I used to write often. Than the turning point of the story happened, and I now hardly write in my original story. I started another one, and I write around whenever I visit this thread.
I think of my writing basically when I do mindless work, like you wrote, washing dishes, etc. Like with writing, it used to be more often. I used to know my character very well. Whenever I did something I thought of how she would react, what her friend would say, etc. The turning point basically caused all the problems.
A mixture of sight and sound.

Weslyn wrote:
Personally, I walk round the house in a haze, often murmuring snippets of conversation to myself, imagining what each person does in the scene and in what order. (Yes, sadly enough, this is what I do in my free time when no one is home.) I take note of their feelings, their facial expressions - a quirk of the lips or a slight hitch of the voice. I usually add place settings later if itís not important to whatís going on. And then, before I lose the feeling of it, I jot it down, or review it until itís committed to memory since sometimes Iím off mentally watching my own little movie during breaks at work or (most often) in the shower or washing dishes. (I could never own a dishwasher for this reason.)

How I wish I could do that. Like I said, by now my characters are basically dead.

Weslyn wrote:
Anyway, all of that is leading up to this bit of advice: Find your writing self. Your style. I understand where youíre coming from Ėexcept that Iíve always started to write like the authors I admired instead of myself. Eventually I found my own style Ėitís a process, not a natural phenomenon. We donít start off writing like ourselves. Itís like when we begin learning to talk we adopt what our parents say. Years later we may still sound a bit like out parents over the phone, but weíve grown into our own vocabulary. I know Iím being redundant, but I firmly believe that people learn to write by reading. I sípose your prolly wondering: How To Find Your Writer Self, (as if there were some book *laughs* . . . *pauses reflectively* I shouldnít be laughing, because itís probably true). Keep up practicing. Try the one with ten nouns, adjís and verbs each.

I'm trying...
Whew, thanks. Now I'll go to my writing. Smile
vexation
saratdear wrote:
Hi!

YOU ARE NOT NUTS. Anyone who tells you that you are nuts needs a swift punch in the face. I've liked "making up stories" since forever and have been putting them on paper since age 10.
Grego.Sanders
Me! Me! Me! Me!

I write poems, stories... inspired by life, but also SF stories... im planing to publish a book...
Weslyn
Grego.Sanders wrote:
Me! Me! Me! Me!

I write poems, stories... inspired by life, but also SF stories... im planing to publish a book...

G.Sanders- than you might want to pay attention to the following:

Just a quick message really: Writer'a Circle is up and already has one post! Yay! If you enjoy writing and reading, than please have a look.
ankur.vatsa
Hi,
A number of writers - full time and amateurs. I'm more of a reader than a writer but recently I've started to pen down somethins.

I've been in software for 8 years and lost on to my writing abilities. I am again considering writing but falling short of topics to write. Does every writer feel so or is it just because I lost the ability to empathise with things around me or the ability to express the feelings as they are.

I'm sure I'll soon be able to write and publish my blog a lot more often, and frihost has been a great step towards this.

Thanks
Josso
I'd love to write sci-fi fiction but I never find the time. I'm really bad at spelling/grammar as well.
Alistair
I have done some ground work on a couple of novels .. plot lines and characters etc, but haven't found time to sit down and start writing them.

I am currently writing all the background data and stories for an online RPG which is taking me a long time. If you are interested in what I have done so far take a look at my work in progress at

http://avelyn.frih.net
hades9366
I've been writing for awhile, mostly short fiction but I have been working on a longer project. I've had a few things published here and there but I'm still aiming for a novel. I've got a few stories up on my site: http://www.hades9366.frih.net/
standready
I write song lyrics mostly. However, I have written a book developing your idea into a retail ready consumer product - Idea to Product Primer.
rshanthakumar
here is a short poem!

Ground shook
Bombs exploded
Lives turned miserable

Children orphaned
Nights were ablaze
women grieved for dead children

Mirror the reflection

men partied for their victory
planned for the next civilization
to bring down and party again!

success after success
earth shaking success
resounding and exploding success

while men slept with open eyes
women cried with closed ones
children laugh
with the civilized men
who made them orphans

the earth goes on!
mjohnson
WOW there are so many writers I like writing too but I have not writen a book.
Weslyn
rshanthakumar wrote:
here is a short poem!

If you are interested in giving/receiving feedback, you can link this poem to the thread: Writer's Circle. (You can also post more poems there). I must admit it's been rather dead, but hopefully posting there will spark some more activity.

Heh, I should post something there myself.