FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hypercells highlight.

Da Rossa
This is a very simple MODification for phpBB, apparently cosmetic, but it is actually anti-stress. This highlights the entire row that contains the links to the sections of the forum and/or the rows that contain the links for the topics, making it all clickable, therefore faster to find. Seems ridiculous, but it is functional.

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/279

Thanks for the attention.
Blaster
How would this help? I just don't uderstand.
Marston
Da Rossa wrote:
This is a very simple MODification for phpBB, apparently cosmetic, but it is actually anti-stress. This highlights the entire row that contains the links to the sections of the forum and/or the rows that contain the links for the topics, making it all clickable, therefore faster to find. Seems ridiculous, but it is functional.

NO.
n0obie4life
Yes. I hate pinpointing my mouse on the link..now I can just click on the boxes.
Jack_Hammer
n0obie4life wrote:
Yes. I hate pinpointing my mouse on the link..now I can just click on the boxes.

Riiight.
Da Rossa
Marston wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

NO.

Reason??

Blaster, this is just a stress-reducing tweak. Look:

With the hypercells modification, the forum could be accessed by clicking in any part of the area surrounded by the red box. As Nb-4life stated, sometimes it is annoying to point the mouse precisely on the link.

Q: Isn't it unnecessary, after all?
A: Technically, yes, but given the level of simplicity of the MOD, this would come just for the good.
Marston
No, we don't need lazy people on the forums. If you can't be bothered to click on anchor text, then leave.

Also, I think n0obie was being sarcastic.
n0obie4life
I'm not.
Blaster
I still dont' get it 100% what would we benifit from it?
n0obie4life
Blaster wrote:
I still dont' get it 100% what would we benifit from it?

You don't have to pinpoint your mouse to a Forum name to go into the fourm. Just clicking on anywhere in it's box will do.

http://phpbbstyles.com (look, click on the box, it leads you to the forum, that's what it does).
Blaster
Its unneeded althoug nice. lazysunsofabitchesthatjustcan'tclickadamnlink Very Happy
n0obie4life
But I'm lazy.

Pinpointing on a link is too much for me..I spend at least 2 seconds doing that.

And since I click on a forum for like 100 times in a day. I'm wasting 200 seconds, that's

Three Minutes and Twenty Seconds of my life.
Bockman
Doesn't seem like a difficult to implement MOD, although i do think it could cause some interference with the google adprints along the forum.

I am for this one too, as long as it doesn't involve additional working around the current deffenitions (Bondings already has his hands full a.t.m.). This could be helpfull for lots of members and i see no reason why not make things easier for ppl (if they have problems clicking on the links and you can
help out, DO SO!)

Be Well Cool
Da Rossa
WFT this is even easier, simpler than I thought!! Look!!

Code:
########################################################
##
## Title: Hypercells
## Version: 1.0.0 - final release
## Author: Brewjah
## Description: allows users to click anywhere in the cell to access the forum or a topic
## and displays a hand cursor on mouse over even to SHOW that its clickable..
##
## Installation Level: Easy
## Installation Time: 2-5 Minutes
## Files To Edit: 2
##          -  index_body.tpl
##          -  viewforum_body.tpl
##
## Included Files: none, cause we're cool like that
##
#########################################################

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
   templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
   <td class="row1" width="100%" height="50"><span class="forumlink"> <a href="{catrow.forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM}" class="forumlink">{catrow.forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</a><br />
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------
#
   <td class="row1" width="100%" onMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='{T_TD_COLOR1}'; this.style.cursor='hand';" onMouseOut=this.style.backgroundColor="{T_TR_COLOR1}" onclick="window.location.href='{catrow.forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM}'"> <span class="forumlink"> <a href="{catrow.forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM}" class="forumlink">{catrow.forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</a><br />
#
#-----[ SAVE CLOSE UPLOAD ]---------------------------
#
   templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl
#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
   templates/subSilver/viewforum_body.tpl
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
     <td class="row1" width="100%"><span class="topictitle">{topicrow.NEWEST_POST_IMG}{topicrow.TOPIC_TYPE}<a href="{topicrow.U_VIEW_TOPIC}" class="topictitle">{topicrow.TOPIC_TITLE}</a></span><span class="gensmall"><br />
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]-----------------------------
#
     <td class="row1" width="100%" onMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='{T_TD_COLOR1}'; this.style.cursor='hand';" onMouseOut=this.style.backgroundColor="{T_TR_COLOR1}" onclick="window.location.href='{topicrow.U_VIEW_TOPIC}'"><span class="topictitle">{topicrow.NEWEST_POST_IMG}{topicrow.TOPIC_TYPE}<a href="{topicrow.U_VIEW_TOPIC}" class="topictitle">{topicrow.TOPIC_TITLE}</a></span><span class="gensmall"><br /> 
#
#-----[ SAVE CLOSE UPLOAD ]--------------------------
#
   viewforum_body.tpl
#
#-----[ EOM ]--------------------------------------------
Helios
This mod is totaly useless.

Bondings won't waste his time installing a mod like this, I'm sure.

I won't lock the topic though. Let's see what others have to say.
Da Rossa
Visit http://phpbbstyles.com/

Then move your mouse along the threads. You will see it highlighten. This amplifies the clickable area to access a post, making it less annoying to click in every link.
Jack_Hammer
There is absoultely no point adding this MOD at all?, as said above it would just be for lazy people (Like n00b) who can't click on the text.
Marston
n0obie4life wrote:
I'm not.
Oh come on. It's not that hard.

You should quit the internet if you don't like clicking on links.
hack_man_
n0obie4life wrote:
But I'm lazy.

Pinpointing on a link is too much for me..I spend at least 2 seconds doing that.

And since I click on a forum for like 100 times in a day. I'm wasting 200 seconds, that's

Three Minutes and Twenty Seconds of my life.

HA! HA! LOL!!! Laughing
Da Rossa
Jack_Hammer wrote:
There is absoultely no point adding this MOD at all?, as said above it would just be for lazy people (Like n00b) who can't click on the text.

Man, every comfort gain is supposed to be welcome, huh? After all, this is VERY easy to implement.
n0obie4life
Marston wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:
I'm not.
Oh come on. It's not that hard.

It is Crying or Very sad

You are supposed to make life easier. Life is stressful enough.

Quote:

There is. It's extremely useful too.

Quote:
This mod is totaly useless.

Bondings won't waste his time installing a mod like this, I'm sure.

I won't lock the topic though. Let's see what others have to say.

There's no grounds to lock this topic unless Bondings tells us to through area51 communication means (Helios, you get me?)
bladesage
I'll admit, this is just an insignificant little modification. But seriously, it's a small, apparently easy change. The fact is, dozens of users are just plain too smart to waste precious, albeit minute, moments of their lives. I am not the only one who has trouble with clicking it correctly, I usually get it on the 2nd try. Honestly, on a large scale, this is an accessability issue.

As I stated, an insignificant little modification. In itself, as one little unit. Do the math if you want. I would guarantee that many users can easily make this mistake. So what, who cares? It's just a couple of seconds. Per mistake.

Let's say, for instance, that 1 in 3 people make a slight mistake every time they click a link to a forum. Okay, say that every day, about 3,000 attempts are made to click a link, by an equal amount of attempts per user. That's about 1,000 mistakes. Big whoop, they're only like 2 seconds, right? Yes, but that's 2,000 seconds wasted. This info is totally made up, except the math obviously. Here's the deal, that would be out of 3,000 potential successful clicks.

There are a total of 5,184,000 seconds in a day (assuming that we count with our 24-hour day system, instead of the 23-point-whatever that it actually is). There are 1,892,160,000 seconds in a year. That is 20 days per year wasted, because of a puny mod.

To put it in terms of relativity to optimum performance, it's only at 67%.

You can correct my math if it's wrong, but it wouldn't matter too much since it's made up starting statistics anyways. The main point was to show you how much a puny mod can affect something on a large scale.