FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Is there really something after this life?





DJ Santos
Share your opinions on wheter there is really a life, spiritual or reincarnation after this one
Do you Believe religions are a pure invention of mans, that they created this to make life seem less pathetic, with a goal, which in most religions is to do good so that u can access paradise?
Soulfire
We all have one eternal life to live. Live it well on earth, as this is your test. Follow God and His word, accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, then live in eternal paradise with God. Reject God and disobey Him, or deny Jesus Christ, and live forever seperated from God in Hell.

It's quite simple.
ebkari
yeah. another life. and then another. and then another.
Vrythramax
I myself don't believe in reincarnation, but as for an "afterlife" yes I do. I believe that if I have lived my life properly and followed the teachings of my religion then yes I will have an afterlife in heaven. If I chose not to, then I will have an afterlife in hell. I should actually say my soul will experience an afterlife, not me in a physical form.
DJ Santos
Vrythramax wrote:
I myself don't believe in reincarnation, but as for an "afterlife" yes I do. I believe that if I have lived my life properly and followed the teachings of my religion then yes I will have an afterlife in heaven. If I chose not to, then I will have an afterlife in hell. I should actually say my soul will experience an afterlife, not me in a physical form.


yea but isn't that justewhat you have been taught in a book called the bible. i am catholic, and i cannot say i don't believe, mostly because i want those beliefs to be true, but have u ever taught of all those before religion was invented, and what do u make of scientific evidence of evolution?
assex
I, as a Jain, who follows a religion called Jainism, believe in rebirth again and again in a never-ending cycle. You see, depending on the good deeds and bad deeds done in your life, you are reborn. If you have done good deeds, consider yourself to be born again as a human. If you have done extra-ordinarliy good deeds, you shall go to heaven. But, if you commit misdeeds such as stealing, etc. you either may be born as an animal or as a demon in hell. Now, how do you overcome this never-ending cycle of death and birth? Here's how:
Imagine that you have points, both good and bad. By doing good deeds, you get more good points and the same goes for doing bad deeds. These points cancel each other like positive and negative numbers. Finally, when the cancellation reaches zero, i.e., your good points are equal to your bad points, you are free from this cycle of rebirth. That stage is called 'Moksha' in my religion.
This is what my religion is all about. What are your thoughts?
Vrythramax
DJ Santos wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
I myself don't believe in reincarnation, but as for an "afterlife" yes I do. I believe that if I have lived my life properly and followed the teachings of my religion then yes I will have an afterlife in heaven. If I chose not to, then I will have an afterlife in hell. I should actually say my soul will experience an afterlife, not me in a physical form.


yea but isn't that justewhat you have been taught in a book called the bible. i am catholic, and i cannot say i don't believe, mostly because i want those beliefs to be true, but have u ever taught of all those before religion was invented, and what do u make of scientific evidence of evolution?



You asked if there was an afterlife to which I gave my own opinion. You didn't ask why I think that way. To be honest, and forgive me of this comes across as being rude, it isn't meant that way...it's nobodies business why I think the way I do, we are all free to think what we want. No I have never given a moments thought about what went on before religion was around, as it has no bearing on me or my life in any way. I have made my thoughts about the "scientific evidence of evolution" known and have been insulted, flamed and berated for thinking the way I do, so I'll not get into that again. What really amazes me is how all these [allegedly] intelligent people get so pissed off when you happen to think differently then they do. What even happened to freedom of speach or individual thought?
robdoar
The wonderful thing about God is he doesn’t force himself on us. He gives us free will, which allows us to seek the truth on our own. God has given us certain, un-arguable truths.
Yet in our free will, and the desire He has given us to seek the truth, we decide what we want to believe and what we don't. If there is something in the Bible we don't agree with, many of us simply won't believe it. So we create our own theology, from what we want to believe, rather then the truth that is communicated to us. Humans have incredible minds, but pale in comparison to the one who created our minds. We are not smarter than God. And if we think we are right, and he is wrong... guess where I would put my money... Weather we choose to believe it or not, the Bible is truth.
There is much in the Bible that is not 100% clear, and up for discussion, and churches and denominations have formed entire theologies out of things that essentially don't matter. The bible is very clear about what is needed to live in the life God intended after we die.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Romans 10:9
"If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

We can make our own belief system, God allows us to do that, but his reason for allowing us to search, is so we can find Him, and the truth he has communicated.
ebkari
Quote:
The wonderful thing about God is he doesn’t force himself on us


if you live in the bible belt of america, he does.
Stinger
When you think deeply into this subject, it would just be impossible if we didnt have another life, because if we where dead it would just be nothing, i mean just nothing at all. It wouldnt just be black becuase the colour black wouldnt exist lol, thinking about it just makes me so :S
LeviticusMky
The idea of an afterlife is irrational and illogical.

Belief that you will go on living after your body dies is in direct contradiction to every shred of science that the human race has produced.

So in summation, no, there is no afterlife. We have one life to live, and when it's done, it is DONE, so we need to stop being intolerant and angry and try to make the best of the world while we can.

Death is inevitable, just come to terms with it.
Soulfire
ebkari wrote:
Quote:
The wonderful thing about God is he doesn’t force himself on us


if you live in the bible belt of america, he does.

No, He doesn't. The people might try to force it on you, but God does not. The Bible says (in previously mentioned verses) that we must accept Jesus as Lord ourselves, it's not anyone else's decision.
SocratesX
Because I want rational proof of such things as "heaven", "afterlife",... I cannot believe in them.
As long as nothing is certain, I cannot - using ratio - believe in gods or any other "superbeings".
Seeing is believing, said the blind man.
In fact, I think religions are nothing more than man-created institutions, to help them overcome the cruel observation that we are here on earth without ANY goal or purpose. Can anyone think of any goal why we've been put here?
We all just try to make the best of it, but in the end it comes down to one and the same thing: we are here on this planet to die.
Only if we would be certain that there is "something" after death, we would have a reason to live.
Additionaly, I don't think my atheďstic lifestyle would "punish" me in the end. Suppose there really IS a god. How could I ever have offended him by not believing he really is there, since I never saw any proof of it? Just because I am suspicious about the bible (written by some unknown people in a far history) does not mean I should burn in hell, does it?
Vrythramax
SocratesX wrote:
Because I want rational proof of such things as "heaven", "afterlife",... I cannot believe in them.
As long as nothing is certain, I cannot - using ratio - believe in gods or any other "superbeings".
Seeing is believing, said the blind man.
In fact, I think religions are nothing more than man-created institutions, to help them overcome the cruel observation that we are here on earth without ANY goal or purpose. Can anyone think of any goal why we've been put here?
We all just try to make the best of it, but in the end it comes down to one and the same thing: we are here on this planet to die.
Only if we would be certain that there is "something" after death, we would have a reason to live.
Additionaly, I don't think my atheďstic lifestyle would "punish" me in the end. Suppose there really IS a god. How could I ever have offended him by not believing he really is there, since I never saw any proof of it? Just because I am suspicious about the bible (written by some unknown people in a far history) does not mean I should burn in hell, does it?


God gave us freedom of choice to believe or disbelieve as we see fit. I believe in God, but that is my choice and I don't expect my choices in life to be anyone elses except mine. They work for me and that's all that matters. Your way of life works for you, and you are certainly entitled to your own choices as to how you live your own life....no matter what anyone says. You say "seeing is believing", I cannot see air, and I don't need any scientific explaination to convince me it is there and very real. Granted the existance of the air we breath can be proved scientifically, but without that explaination would you not still be able to feel the air around you? For some the existance of God is much the same way. I figure it this way, I live my life the way I chose to and when and if the time comes for me to stand in judgement before my maker I'll have all the proof I need that God does indeed exist...if not, who cares I'll be dead anyway. Better safe than sorry when dealing with eternity.
baringmo
Of course there is something after this life. However, just to say that there is something after this life is a little ignorant. There is obviously some sort of energy inside every person. This energy makes them able to move, walk, talk, and all around just plain live. Where does energy come from? Either the earth, or the sun, or space aliens....woooooeeeeeoooo.
But seriously, we know where enery comes from. We therefore know that what makes up our energy (or dare I say souls) came from the vast pools of energy that are contained within the sun, the earth or both. The afterlife is therefore the same as the before life - to become one with energy again.
SocratesX
baringmo wrote:
Of course there is something after this life. However, just to say that there is something after this life is a little ignorant. There is obviously some sort of energy inside every person. This energy makes them able to move, walk, talk, and all around just plain live. Where does energy come from? Either the earth, or the sun, or space aliens....woooooeeeeeoooo.
But seriously, we know where enery comes from. We therefore know that what makes up our energy (or dare I say souls) came from the vast pools of energy that are contained within the sun, the earth or both. The afterlife is therefore the same as the before life - to become one with energy again.
Errr and which study exactly proves your statements?
We get our energy from carbohydrates (and from proteďnes also actually), which are extracted and reformed in our cells. Also vitamines and enzymes play a big role. Or what energy are you referring to?
robdoar
ebkari wrote:


if you live in the bible belt of america, he does.


That's people forcing.. not God. The problem with most "on-fire" evangelists is they make more athesits then beleivers by mis representing God.
Rocky3478
robdoar wrote:
ebkari wrote:


if you live in the bible belt of america, he does.


That's people forcing.. not God. The problem with most "on-fire" evangelists is they make more athesits then beleivers by mis representing God.


That is so true..... Christians should not force their religon on anyone. Let alone misrepresent the Bible. Revelation chapter 22 is quite clear about the result for such an action.
TheGreatDalmuti
LeviticusMky wrote:
The idea of an afterlife is irrational and illogical.

Belief that you will go on living after your body dies is in direct contradiction to every shred of science that the human race has produced.


I find it odd that so many people put so much faith (yes, faith) in science. Whereas the idea of a life after this has been widely accepted for thousands of years (not just in Christianity, mind you), a few fun examples of scientific knowledge could include:

Scientists STILL don't agree on how many living Kingdoms there are (like plant, animal, etc.). The range is from five to around thirty.

They are still trying to figure out the age of the earth.

Scientists have claimed for ages that we are all there is out there. Now according to very modest estimates (using Cornell professor Frank Drake's formula where you divide the billions of stars out there by the likelihood that one would have planets, that any planet would be inhabitable, etc.), it is guessed that the number of advanced civilizations in just the Milky Way is somewhere in the millions.

"Well into the 1970's, one of the most popular and influential geological textbooks, The Earth, by the venerable Harold Jeffreys, strenuously insisted that plate tectonics was a physical impossibility... and in Basin and Range, published in 1980, John McPhee noted that even then one American geologist in eight still didn't believe in plate tectonics."

Hm...

For more (very entertaining, yet informative) reading about how science can change, try Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything", where the last quote was from. The book is about three years old and probably out of date. (Since it was published, at least three new planets have been discovered in the solar system, one with a moon.

It seems to me that scientists would be at least as fallible as your ordinary churchgoer.

---

Now let me amend this by saying that I don't intend to get into some sort of mud-slinging match, making fun of those who live by their faith in science versus those who live by faith in something else. I simply mean this as a way to say that one should not discount others' religious views simply because current science says otherwise. To my knowledge, scientists have very little to say on the existence or nature of the human soul.
a_dubDesign
I fully believe that there is an after life, but I also full believe that many of us "christians" focus way to much us getting there (and/or others not getting there) instead of us bringing it here.
Shewolf
I guess there is something, but it's not mine to know what. I don't think we are supposed to know what's going to happend to us, or whether we have lived before or not. We might have, and we might go to hell or heaven. In a way I know we are living many times, the atomes in our bodies have been used building many times, and they shall probably do so until the nd of days, if such a thing exist....
Gieter
I guess there's nothing. I see no reason why there would be an after-life, or why we would re-incarnate. Why else would we have the deep urge to survive? I think it's just an invention of men, to believe that there's a better world after this world. The same for heaven and hell: it's a kind of judicially system, but in terms of religion.

@ TheGreatDalmuti: OK, the scientists are still discussing things, and they aren't always right, this is because they work with models, and science keeps evolving. You simply can't expect from science that they are always right. But I prefer science over religion.

What you're basically saying is: science isn't always right, so the ordinary scientist is at least as fallible as your ordinary churchgoer. Sounds like a very false conclusion to me. To clarify this: would we ever be able to build a plane with religion? No. Would be ever have the ability to produce power from nuclear fission with religion? I don't think so!
deathrabbit
Since I can not prove or have any evidence that supports the idea that an afterlife/reincarnation/etc exists, I don't believe in one. But since I can't disprove it either, I figure that if there is a remote possibility that there is something, I will find out when I get there, and I will try not to worry about it until then.
TheGreatDalmuti
Gieter wrote:
What you're basically saying is: science isn't always right, so the ordinary scientist is at least as fallible as your ordinary churchgoer. Sounds like a very false conclusion to me. To clarify this: would we ever be able to build a plane with religion? No. Would be ever have the ability to produce power from nuclear fission with religion? I don't think so!


True that so far no one has admitted to being inspired from heaven when designing airplanes. First, that doesn't mean they weren't. Second, I do know of a few other things that were built with religion. There was this guy with a really big boat once. =) See also Solomon's Temple, Moses' Tabernacle, etc.

That said, you've got a good point in that just because science isn't infallible, it isn't USEFUL or practical or easy to see the results. But I personally believe that all science, all knowledge, and all truth come from God, seeing as He created this world, other worlds, the universe, and us. We may not be able to find the explanation for nuclear fission in the scriptures, but we can find the source.

(For this forum, too, I guess I never answered the question. Not only do I believe in a life after this one, I believe there was one before.)
amicalindia
assex wrote:
I, as a Jain, who follows a religion called Jainism, believe in rebirth again and again in a never-ending cycle. You see, depending on the good deeds and bad deeds done in your life, you are reborn. If you have done good deeds, consider yourself to be born again as a human. If you have done extra-ordinarliy good deeds, you shall go to heaven. But, if you commit misdeeds such as stealing, etc. you either may be born as an animal or as a demon in hell. Now, how do you overcome this never-ending cycle of death and birth? Here's how:
Imagine that you have points, both good and bad. By doing good deeds, you get more good points and the same goes for doing bad deeds. These points cancel each other like positive and negative numbers. Finally, when the cancellation reaches zero, i.e., your good points are equal to your bad points, you are free from this cycle of rebirth. That stage is called 'Moksha' in my religion.
This is what my religion is all about. What are your thoughts?


Why!!...this is the hindu philosophy I have studied. Explained in various hindu scriptures. In fact i have observed that Hindu, Buddha and Jainism philosophies are quite similar with minor differences. The concepts of 'Reincarnation', 'Law of Karma' and 'Moksha' are comman in all. I think the difference is in the rituals they follow. What say?
nam_siddharth
assex wrote:
I, as a Jain, who follows a religion called Jainism, believe in rebirth again and again in a never-ending cycle. You see, depending on the good deeds and bad deeds done in your life, you are reborn. If you have done good deeds, consider yourself to be born again as a human. If you have done extra-ordinarliy good deeds, you shall go to heaven. But, if you commit misdeeds such as stealing, etc. you either may be born as an animal or as a demon in hell. Now, how do you overcome this never-ending cycle of death and birth? Here's how:
Imagine that you have points, both good and bad. By doing good deeds, you get more good points and the same goes for doing bad deeds. These points cancel each other like positive and negative numbers. Finally, when the cancellation reaches zero, i.e., your good points are equal to your bad points, you are free from this cycle of rebirth. That stage is called 'Moksha' in my religion.
This is what my religion is all about. What are your thoughts?


So there is three options:-
1. Do more good than bad.
2. Do good and bad eqally.
3. Do more bad than good.

It apears that your religion teach for the 2nd option. But I prefer 1st option.
nam_siddharth
Soulfire wrote:
We all have one eternal life to live. Live it well on earth, as this is your test. Follow God and His word, accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, then live in eternal paradise with God. Reject God and disobey Him, or deny Jesus Christ, and live forever seperated from God in Hell.

It's quite simple.


Had you a conversion with God on this subject? How are you so sure?

May be it is just opposite. Accept Jesus as son of God, and Jesus will wait you in the hell. Wink
Gieter
TheGreatDalmuti wrote:
Gieter wrote:
What you're basically saying is: science isn't always right, so the ordinary scientist is at least as fallible as your ordinary churchgoer. Sounds like a very false conclusion to me. To clarify this: would we ever be able to build a plane with religion? No. Would be ever have the ability to produce power from nuclear fission with religion? I don't think so!


True that so far no one has admitted to being inspired from heaven when designing airplanes. First, that doesn't mean they weren't. Second, I do know of a few other things that were built with religion. There was this guy with a really big boat once. =) See also Solomon's Temple, Moses' Tabernacle, etc.

That said, you've got a good point in that just because science isn't infallible, it isn't USEFUL or practical or easy to see the results. But I personally believe that all science, all knowledge, and all truth come from God, seeing as He created this world, other worlds, the universe, and us. We may not be able to find the explanation for nuclear fission in the scriptures, but we can find the source.

(For this forum, too, I guess I never answered the question. Not only do I believe in a life after this one, I believe there was one before.)


OK, I understand what you were saying. But I was talking about new constructions, really inventions, not some regular buildings. That's a big difference I think. Wink
admindoc
Personally I do not believe in afterlife. But with such strong opinions existing in most of the religions it is difficult to dismiss all of them and say no ther is nothing. I remember in college, we had a visiting psychologist who was conductiing a research into reincarnations ...looking into the claims of people who said that they existed a someone else sometime in the past. She showed us slides of small boys who could recall with great accuracy about details about another person in another village completely unrelated who had expired years ago. I know there could be a lot of hocus-pocus involved but then such issues, I think will remain unsettled!!

admindoc.
dragonflame
I think just the act of believing in an afterlife serves it own purpose.

I believe it's the only thing that keeps some people from living their life without fear of consequence.

Besides, I dont want to live in a reality where mass murderers, rapists end up in the same dirt hole as mother theresa, gandhi, social workers, etc.
Gieter
dragonflame wrote:
I think just the act of believing in an afterlife serves it own purpose.

I believe it's the only thing that keeps some people from living their life without fear of consequence.

Besides, I dont want to live in a reality where mass murderers, rapists end up in the same dirt hole as mother theresa, gandhi, social workers, etc.


That's were 'hell' serves for. But this depends on the religion, and there's a whole idea behind the concept of 'heaven.' You of course have other forms of afterlife, but also in these cases everything will be allright, so even if those rapists were there, they would be good.



dragonflame wrote:
I think just the act of believing in an afterlife serves it own purpose.

I believe it's the only thing that keeps some people from living their life without fear of consequence.


I agree with that Wink.
FSMonster
LeviticusMky wrote:
The idea of an afterlife is irrational and illogical.

Belief that you will go on living after your body dies is in direct contradiction to every shred of science that the human race has produced.

So in summation, no, there is no afterlife. We have one life to live, and when it's done, it is DONE, so we need to stop being intolerant and angry and try to make the best of the world while we can.

Death is inevitable, just come to terms with it.





Ever heard of Astral projection?It's when you are conscience outside the body.Science can be applied to this because it is a way of understanding the natural world.If scientist wanted to learn more about something such as this they could ask questions like "How does this affect electromagnetic Spectrum?"
Hello_World
dragonflame wrote:
Quote:
I think just the act of believing in an afterlife serves it own purpose.

I believe it's the only thing that keeps some people from living their life without fear of consequence.


It may well stop some people from acting poorly.

However, you can find people who believe in an afterlife committing cruel acts, and people who do not believe living positive lives, and vice versa.

Religion is unneccessary for this purpose.

My answer:

No. You just die. Your body decomposes into the dirt, which in turn provides nutrients etc for plants, etc, etc etc.
Dennise
Afterlife?

Considering the usual definition of conscious afterlife - NO. If there were, one would expect some kind of evidence by now. Seances, tea leaves and other mumbo-jumbo nonsense together with tales and other words of clever men do not count as evidence.

Now afterlife in the purely physical sense - yes of course. There is a good chance that some of the atoms in your body were once a part of a different persons body now deceased.

But a recreation of the gazillion neurons in your brain that make up your own conscious ........... well the chances of that are 'slim to none'.
spinout
mumbo-jumbo, googa-mooga.... let me tell you!!!

For 10 years ago you was not yourself! Not a cell is left!!! you are a different person today, totally.
You are NOT!

hehe, big words but true: You are NOT!

pssst! unless there are a thing called soul...
Hm, yet again... the soul might alter... shit... you are still NOT!

Psst! unless there are a thing called God...
hm, yet again... the God might alter... shit... God is not!

Psst! if things was not relative, you are not experiencing - so you are experiencing atleast!

In what form? If you alter constantly... what is you next move? another body?
loremar
I hope and wish there is.
So many people living miserable lives.
Kids dying at a younger age, can't go out and play.

If I die at this instant, I really damn wish there is.
I was hoping something like that in Angel Beats anime where people get to stay in a limbo and have a chance to accept their past miserable life, live a fulfilling after life with other souls, and move on to the next life.

I really don't care much abut the truth. The truth sometime sucks and drives you to a never ending melancholy. Emotions are far more precious for me.

All you people can live being rational. But what is the meaning of being rational?
What is the difference between rationality and insanity when all of these ends up in the dirt like any other piece of trash.

Afterlife? If it gives you peace of mind amidst misery, then it's a worthwhile wishful hope.
Dennise
loremar wrote:


I really don't care much abut the truth. The truth sometime sucks and drives you to a never ending melancholy. Emotions are far more precious for me.

All you people can live being rational. But what is the meaning of being rational?
What is the difference between rationality and insanity when all of these ends up in the dirt like any other piece of trash.



Yes, the truth sometimes sucks. However, the truth will set you free if you embrace it and then have the courage move on. Truth includes death and the moving on is the next generation that benefits from the truths revealed by prior generations. Are we not better today than we were living in caves rubbing sticks together? Are we not better today relieved of the suffering of diseases by ferreting out the truth behind diseases in previous generations?

Being rational means living the truth and enjoying it's benefits. Yes, being rational and being insane both end in death, but being rational and finding truths can leave something good and enduring for others as did those before us. Insanity sadly benefits no one.
Related topics
Your relegion
How do you want to die?
afterlife?
30 gigabytes Email
Abortion: Yes or No?
Are christians educated?
My Special Survey
Reincarnation
she blinded me with bible
Buddhism
Death?
Rock and Roll
[official] The Meaning of life
best life
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Philosophy and Religion

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.