FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game Idea: Multiplayer Space Turn-Based Strategy game

Would you play an Online Turn Based Strategy Game with 2-16 players?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Depends if my friends are playing
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

AaronMoore
Hi,

Here is an idea I had today about my next game development.

It will be a Turn-Based Multiplayer Strategy game based in space for 2 - 16 players. (Does it sound boring? I dont think it will be!)
It will include some basic tutorial missions to get the player familiar with the interface and the gameplay (2-5 Missions)

Here are some notes I have made (Top down approach):
Universe/Game Map
    Contains many solar systems linked by 1 or more Worm Holes
    Zoom to 3 levels of view: Universe, Solar System, or Planet
    See Enemy Units in Systems where you have units
    Map generated randomly so it is very different for every game
    Universe continually expands, new solar systems are added and joined y new worm holes to Solar Systems on the fringe. Expansion rate is configurable
    Can only see visited Solar Systems, but can see Worm Holes to unknown systems, and the number of planets in visitied systems

Solar Systems:
    Contains 1 or more planets as well as at least 1 Sun. Can contain enemy and/or friendly units
    Planets are in fixed positions located around the Sun(s)
    Can see location of enemy units if have friendly units in the system. Can see the exact type and quantity of the units if friendly units are within X number of hexagons. (configurable)
    1 or more Alien Artifacts are located in each solar system. Cant see them until within X number of Hexs. (configurable)
    Artifacts can be used for many purposes: Speed up construction or research, create Artificial Wormholes to any other system (expense varies on distance), cloak units (cost per turn varies based on unit size), speed up a unit, destroy a solar system & all connecting Wormholes (very very expensive)
    All artifact uses require the relevant research to be completed
    Systems may contain Wrecks of ships (units destroyed during game or created when game started). Cant see untill within X Hexs (configurable).
    Wrecks may contain Credits, Avanced technology (give the technology i directly researchable, otherwise, speed up other research), or Nothing at all. The amount contained varies depending on the size of the unit.

Planets:
    View all details of a planet if have friendly ships in the system (Industry, Race, Population, Special Resource Supply/Demand)
    Are pre-populated with industry and self sustaining populations. The industries produce 1 Special Resource and requires 1 special resource (random for each).
    All planets require natural resources mined from Asteroids located throughout the system. Asteroids contain a finite number of resource points. The number is reflected by the size of the asteroid image in the system, and it will disappear once completely consumed
    Minning units mine automatically between their assigned planets and the closest asteroid. The planets pay you credits when the miner delivers natural resources
    Can also establish trade networks to earn credits, with trade-convoy units. Once a trade-unit is built, move it and command it to fill-up at a certain planet, then move and command it to trade at another planet that requires that special resource. (Eg. Luxery consumer goods, Diamonds etc.) The trade unit will then move between the two planets automatically, repeatedly generating profit.

Unit Types:
    Mothership - construction & research starts here. Needs to be protected at all costs. Game over if destroyed
    Construction units - move around and build construction stations and research facilities for advanced construction/research, defence towers etc. Can repair stations.
    Minning units - different ones avaliable once researched, smaller faster, larger slower...
    Trade units - different ones also avaliable once researched
    Capital ships - slow but with heavy fire and armour. Some allow smaller units to dock and be repaired
    Fighters/Intercepters/Scouts etc.
    Bombers - slow and heavy, can destroy planets & capital ships

Additional configurable options:
    Turn Time
    Start fleet size
    All systems visible
    Others?

Multiplayer Notes:
    Single host - my machine, host many games, anyone can connect, chat with waiting players, and begin playing a game
    Free registration process built into host, unique UserId needed
    User Data stored in an SQL database, using MySQL?

Well thats about all I can think of for now...
Any Comments?

Do you think you would play it if it was fun and fast?

Anyone interested in beta testing it in about 1-2 months?

Any suggestions for improvements?

Do you think it is too boring/un-original? How can I improve that?

All feedback welcome!
Antoine_935
MMMMh, I like strategy
I'm ok to test it, but only if you get it working under linux.
AaronMoore
Ok, thanks for your feedback.

I was thinking VB.NET or C#, but I think I will do it in Java so everyone can play.
4ndY
I read your idea, it sounds good - but its very familiar to Master of Orion (try it).

btw avoid Java (it is slow and still "under construction" tehnology - my opinion)
AaronMoore
Thanks for the info about Master Of Orion, I didn't even know it existed!
I've checked it out, you're right it seems quite similar, though more geared towards diplomacy than mine.... I may use it as a source of ideas...

I've developed Space Invader style games in java before, and it performed reasonably (not great)...I guess this style of turn based strategy will be fine.

It's been a while since I've developed in Java (6months), at the moment I'm more fluent in C#... I want to reach as many pople as possible, thats the thing. It'll be good for a java refresher too...

I've heard you can get virtual machines to run Microsoft's CLR in linux. (What C# and VB.NET are compiled into - like bytecode) Does anyone know about that?
Kaneda
AaronMoore wrote:
I've heard you can get virtual machines to run Microsoft's CLR in linux. (What C# and VB.NET are compiled into - like bytecode) Does anyone know about that?

Yeah, Mono. It includes a JIT compiler for CLR as well as ports of a lot of the .NET libraries, and some additional Mono-provided ones.

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

They're pretty close to making .NET completely platform-independent. There's no managed DirectX or anything, though. But you can combine it with, say, SDL.NET to get access to a well developed cross platform multimedia library (SDL) from C#.

As far as I recall, they're almost done porting most of the .NET WinForms to *nix platforms too, but otherwise, Mono apps tend to use the cross platform GTK# library directly for GUIs.

Haven't used Mono a lot yet, but planning to. Java and I never agreed on much, and with Mono, there's finally an alternative Smile
AaronMoore
Quote:
Yeah, Mono. It includes a JIT compiler for CLR as well as ports of a lot of the .NET libraries, and some additional Mono-provided ones.

Thanks for that, and thanks for suggesting SDL.NET. I downloaded it and built a simple application, and it seems really good. A step up from GDI+, fully featured without the need to learn DirectX programming.

If anyone wants it you can download it from:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=52340

Good tutorials are here:
http://cs-sdl.sourceforge.net/index.php/Category:Tutorials

It still seems a little complicated to developed and distribute a *nix app with it though... The installer would need to compile the dependant libs, then sdl.NET using Mono, and then my game...Is this correct?

Thanks for the suggestion, I think it will make it in Java though, then I can stick the client in an applet so anyone can play easily.
Qweertyy
AaronMoore wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for that, and thanks for suggesting SDL.NET. I downloaded it and built a simple application, and it seems really good. A step up from GDI+, fully featured without the need to learn DirectX programming.

If anyone wants it you can download it from:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=52340

Good tutorials are here:
http://cs-sdl.sourceforge.net/index.php/Category:Tutorials

It still seems a little complicated to developed and distribute a *nix app with it though... The installer would need to compile the dependant libs, then sdl.NET using Mono, and then my game...Is this correct?

Thanks for the suggestion, I think it will make it in Java though, then I can stick the client in an applet so anyone can play easily.

SDL isn't very good, takes a lot of memory...
Though it's good to start with!
Stuart