FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My PC is SO Slow!!!

adamfleming10
My computer is ridiculously slow! Its onlt bout 2 years old aswell! Ive done so many virus, spyware, adware, etc. scans its not even funny! Help me!
MyITLab
Give more specifics and you'll get better suggestions. For example, what's your hardware? What software do you have loaded on the PC?

If you call the doctor and say you're sick...he won't be able to help you until you describe your condition better.
ChargerBear
Alot of different things can cause a computer to run slow. The most common problems are registry problems, fragmented hard drives and alot of uneeded or unused crap on the computer's hard drive.
Registry problems. These usually cause the computer take forever to boot on startup and cause your memory to be saturated after loading. A program to fix these problems will cost you about 30 bucks for a full version. I got a free shareware version, then I paid 30 buck to upgrade to the full version. The one that I ended up with was Registry First Aid. But buyer beware! Don't just follow one of these ads that say things like "your computer needs our registry program. If you don't Download our program immediately your computer will blow up and your city will be burnt to the ground! When I buy shareware I get professional help picking it out. My professional happens to be Kim Kommando from a nationally syndacated AM radio show that is heard on the weekends. Type Kim Kammando into Google and go to the website. Goto the freeware and shareware part of the site and type in registry repair and choose one of those to try. The reason I do it this way is because they have already tested the software and then their listeners have tested the programs. If you end up with nasty viruses or spyware from the software I'll be amazed. Because these programs have been tested so extensivly. Registry problems occur from programs that you had on your computer and you decided you didn't want it anymore. If you uninstalled it properly by using an uninstaller, it might have left registry entries that your computer is trying to execute. If these programs were just deleted without being uninstalled then all of the regitry entries were left. After 2 yrs, alot of these deadends that are causing your computer to try do things that it cant clogging up you RAM. I also recommend at least 512 k of RAM in your computer. RAM is cheap nowadays and can easily be installed by you.
The other two things you can easily take care of yourself for free. Your operating system comes with tools to take care of these.
I have windows, and the for the disk defragramenter you hit start, programs, accesories, system tools then Disk Defragmenter. Then just follow the directions. For System Cleanup hit start, programs, accesories, system tools, then Disk Cleanup and follow the directions. If you have a different operating system, you'll have to use your help program or ask someone with the same operating system to locate these programs.
I dont know what Anti Virus and Spyware programs you use. Check these programs on rating websites and make sure that they have a decent rating. Make sure that both programs are updated daily either automatically or by you maunually. Virus or anti-spy programs with old definations are useless.
I hope this helps.
Donutey
1) delete old programs you don't use (using uninstall feature)
2) defrag
ocalhoun
I'm supposing you use windows.
You should format and re-install.
Really, windows needs that to be done regularly, because windows breaks down over time. With a fresh instalation, your computer will be every bit as fast as when it was first made.
Rocky3478
I would recommend either a fresh install on a clean HD, or run a free program called CCleaner. I'd recommend that you be absolutely sure of what you are doing though, as you could wreck the computer.
MonkeyWrench
if u go to "run" and type;

DXdiag, then click ok, then save information and give us a link to that document so we can see what ur pc is like, 2 years old can be slow now, games also slow pc's down, my year old pc has become slow now that its topped up with 70gb of games Cool
HL9881
Hey guy ,
what is your PC's ram and CPU? Confused
skiffwang
it doesn't help you much without increasing your computer knowledge. If you ask a specific question. We could help.But as for a slow computer, it involves huge possiblities which need your knowledge to understand and analyze.
I suggest two things you could do. One is buy a new model computer, it only cost 4-500 dollors for a fashion desktop these day. Or, start reading and learning PC-related book or magazine to boost your knowledge on computer, which would be a life-time useful skill...
altec
adamfleming10 wrote:
My computer is ridiculously slow! Its onlt bout 2 years old aswell! Ive done so many virus, spyware, adware, etc. scans its not even funny! Help me!

Reasons:

1. Your Hard Disk is Full. Try deleting unused files and folders.
2. Fragmented files. Defrag it.
3. Your memory might not be enough. 256MB-512MB is optimum.
4. Your Hard Disk speed might only be 5400rpm. Upgrading to 7200rpm will do the job. A bigger Hard Disk cache of 8MB or 16MB will improve speed.
amirkpe
happenin to me 2 ... but not after 2 years ,, at last 6 mounths ... i delete all my partitions ... then reinstall the windows ... all the things ok :d
DJGuardy
It's a shame that an operating system like Windows needs to be freshly installed from time to time, because then you have to go through all the back ups and formatting trouble and driver installations and updates and patches, bla bla bla, etc. Just to get a decent running PC, and then 8 months later you do it all again. Geez..

Anyway, disk defragmenter (do it several times as the first time doesnt get rid of all the fragments) and disk cleanup, leaves my pc running squeaky clean. If you want a bit more of an indepth defragging solution, try Diskeeper. Works like a charm and picks up a lot more than your standard Microsoft Defragmenter.
ChargerBear
I found a great free program with the help of PC Magazine since my post.
It is not shareware. It is is freeware. They would appreciate a $10 donation and for that they will update your software automatically when it becomes available. I've used it on both of my computers and it cleaned all the old files and repaired the registry in a matter of minutes. The name of the program is CCleaner. It is 100% guarentied virus and spyware free. Type CCleaner into google. If you want to read about it click the 1st non sponsered link. If you just want to download it click the 2nd link.
Clash
amirkpe wrote:
happenin to me 2 ... but not after 2 years ,, at last 6 mounths ... i delete all my partitions ... then reinstall the windows ... all the things ok :d

This is a problem with Windows 98 and Windows 95 before that, but it is not a problem with Windows XP. If the computer is only 2 years old, it should be a Windows XP machine, and therefore shouldn't need reinstalling.

Some problems with PC's slowing down are not all software related. Lot's of newbies think that It's a great idea to have two cdrom drives, two or more hard disk drives, lots of partitions etc. This is NOT a good thing. Firstly multiple IDE devices means that you have to have two on one connector cable, which will immediately slow both down to the lowest common denominator in speed. i.e if you have a CDROM drive and a hrd drive, your hard drive will slow down to about the speed of the CDROM.

RAM is another area that needs to be looked at. People with a machine that they have been using for a long time, will start installing little utilities that load in teh System tray and gobble up spare ram every time the PC starts. I'm thinking here of progs like Limewire, messenger etc. etc. even Real Player and Quicktime will install little apps, that check the net for updates. All this is eating your resources.

Last is Video cards. If your card has maybe 32Mb RAM, and you have got yourself a nice shiny 17" or 19" monitor and have it cranked up to the highest color depth/resolution, this will slow down your screen refresh, and although the PC is fast, the slow refresh makes the whole thing look slow.
rvec
in command prompt type format C:/ and all the problems with windows are solved Razz
ChargerBear
RVEC Wrote
Quote:
in command prompt type format C:/ and all the problems with windows are solved

I don't think it would be so funny if someone actually went through with this command.
Clash
You do get an 'Are you sure' prompt before the evil deed is done Very Happy

But you're quite right, though I'm not sure if typing a forward slash instead of a backslash will get you anywhere.

Quote:
Format C:/
Embarassed
grantmaster
Ahhh, but so destructive!

Try this:

Go to a bookstore

Find a basic book about Linux

Make sure it has a CD including something like Fedora or Ubuntu

Install Linux making sure to retain the old (slow) windoze system

Don't waste any more time than is absolutely necessary on the M$ product while you learn Linux.
Clash
grantmaster wrote:
Ahhh, but so destructive!

I think that was a joke Laughing
prettygood
cure for you!! Idea
first scandisc ur hard drive (u must put a tick "correct all the errors(something like that)" then restart to scan

uninstall ur unused programs
use a program like system mechanic or norton systemworks for testing the system and finding errors ok?? fix ur PCs problems

check start>run>msconfig ur startup programs delete unwanted (if u dont know what it is DONT delete)

scan for adware spyware virus ... Delete them if there is one

then defrag hard drive u r ready!!
Srs2388
my computer is the same way...
another computer... the processor is slower, it has more running,more RAM
and it is going faster staring up and running apps period
the problem is my hard drive the RPM's SUCK on it
i'll have to buy a faster one with more power
Hogwarts
No, the problem with most people these days is that the have too many background applications running. An easy way to fix this (everything EXCEPT windows will NOT load)

For windows XP:
1. Go into the start menu and click "Run"
2. Type in MSConfig and hit enter
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the Process System.ini File, Process Win.ini File, and Load Startup Items check boxes.
4. On the Services tab, select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Restart your computer.

This will make your computer run alot faster, with about the same effect as formmating it (exept for clearing harddrive space). Another soloution is to add more memory. Programs like Battlefield 2 and World Of Warcraft (in IronForge at least) take 1gb+ ram. The more ram you have the more you'll be able to have in the background, the shorter loading times will be, etc. Another option is to format it, then reinstall windows. Otherwise, you need to update your virus scanner to scan for the newest viruses.

If you are going to upgrade your computer, choose an Athon (Gotta love 'em) and choose one such as an Opteron (If you have the money) then get 1 or 2 gigabytes of ram to put into it. Don't choose a duel core processor unless you are going to be running multiple applications in the background. Pentium Ms or an Intel Centrinos are both good choices. Some things not to choose include AMD Semprons and some other old processors which connect to the motherboard via a Socket A port. If you want good graphics get 2 high end videocards and a motherboard capable of connecting them, so its as though they are working as the one card to double your graphics performance and framerate.

If you need a new harddrive its probably best to get a SATA2, and if not possible get a SATA. Most computers these days will at least support a SATA hdd, down with IDF!

If you have no idea what I am saying, please contact your local computer retailer. Wink
Xeniczone
Quote:
This will make your computer run alot faster, with about the same effect as formmating it (exept for clearing harddrive space). Another soloution is to add more memory. Programs like Battlefield 2 and World Of Warcraft (in IronForge at least) take 1gb+ ram. The more ram you have the more you'll be able to have in the background, the shorter loading times will be, etc. Another option is to format it, then reinstall windows. Otherwise, you need to update your virus scanner to scan for the newest viruses.

Umm you mean hard drive space. Right? BF2 only takes 512mbs of ram and 2gbs of hard drive space.

Add more ram is a solution. A question I have for you though have you ever removed the hard drive and used it on a different computer?
Hogwarts
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:

Umm you mean hard drive space. Right? BF2 only takes 512mbs of ram and 2gbs of hard drive space.

Add more ram is a solution. A question I have for you though have you ever removed the hard drive and used it on a different computer?

i have 512mb ram, athlon xp 2400+ and a geforce 6200 gfx card, it lags, alot. Especially if you try to run it on full graphics even though I am forced to run it on low gfx, with no background applications running. The memory though is only DDR 400mhz
bladesage
It actually has several potential solutions:

1) Utilize the "Disk Cleanup" tool. Choose the hard drive in the list. Check everything but compress old data. Press enter.

2) Use the "Disk Defragmenter" tool. Choose your hard drive, and press "Defragment." It may take a while, but it always makes it run at least a little faster.

3) Check your memory.

4) Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. If you're using Windows XP, you should click processes. Look for anything unneccesary or unusual. UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING don't end anything unless you know what it is. Otherwise, it may help to seek out dual listings.

5) Run "Add/Remove Programs" from the Control Panel. Simply look for things in the list that you don't use, and double-click them.

6) Since you have run checks for malware, I won't say you should do that. I suggest you look for updates.

7) Check that you don't have any excessive Page File Usage. This is quite simple in Windows XP. Just run the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), choose the "Performance" tab. Look at both the "PF Usage" Meter, and the "Page File Usage History" graph. If the bar is nearly at the top, or the graph is too spiky, be sure that either you aren't running too many processes, or that you have a reasonable amount of RAM.

8) Try the "Networking" tab. If the graph is at the top, or it just looks very unstable, be sure that you don't have any unknown data-tunnelers using your ports, as these are risky to your system, and they lower performance by partitioning large amounts of memory and CPU quota for themselves, and aren't always listed in the processes. One way to do this is to get a firewall if you don't already have one. Most newer ones have an option to view active ports. Simply look for suspicious usage.

If all this fails, then you may have malware. You already stated that you have scanned for it, so I won't call you a liar. You could also need to buy an additional hard drive, and move some of your drive's contents to it. Excessive hard drive usage means that the computer has a hard time finding the single files it may be looking for at any given moment, which in itself can severely lower performance. It would also mean that if the memory reaches a critical usage level, which it often does, then the CPU board could have difficulty locating an empty area of the drive to temporarily place extra files from memory.

Ordinarily, the computer allocates a special portion of the drive(s) for this purpose, but an over-stuffed or fragmented hard drive would make this impossible. Again a solution to this is to get more RAM. You may want to compare prices for hard drives and RAM cards.
abhishek_2410
try getting newer and faster processor and more ram.also defragmant ur drives it may solve ur problems
technology.sponge
easiest way to makeover a pc

1)remove all old unused apps
2)reboot
3)clear all temp/old scandisk files/wipe ie and firefox caches
4)wipe traces
5)registry check with 2 or more different vendors(norton windoctor, registry mechanice, awop3, easy clener etc)
6)defrag

*delete all unwanted crap on ur hdd as well or burn to dvd
steveadams617
Prevention is half the battle with the computer slow down problem:

1) Keep all your programs on one partition and you files on another
2) Create a ghost image of your programs partition
3) Periodically restore the programs partition from the ghost image

I realize it's much more complicated than this, but I do this about once a month and my computer doesn't slow down. I even go as far as to edit the registry to put my desktop, browser favorites, my documents, outlook mail, etc. folders on my files partition.

Norton Ghost is onsale frequently in the Sunday ads.
greendayonline.co.nr
i did the run > msconfig thing and it worked for me...

thanks for the advice
LethcanAernis
1. Save all your files that you want to keep! burn them on a CD or DVD
2. Reinstall Windows on new formated disk
3. Before to connect to Internet, install firewall, antivirus and Windows Defender Beta 2
4. Connect to Internet

Voila!
guissmo
That happens when you use Windows.

Before reformatting be sure that...
[ 1 ] You have all the drivers for your hardware.
[ 2 ] You have your Windows CD.
[ 3 ] You have all the CDs of all your software.
[ 4 ] You have all your files backed up somewhere.

That's how hard it is!

And to think that Windows gets some errors after about three months! I usually reformat my computer once or twice every two months. That's annoying as I have to skim through my files, leave the ones I don't need, reformat the PC, copy back the "needed files" then realize that I accidentally deleted an important file and can't get it.

Grr.
LethcanAernis
guissmo wrote:
That happens when you use Windows.

Before reformatting be sure that...
[ 1 ] You have all the drivers for your hardware.
[ 2 ] You have your Windows CD.
[ 3 ] You have all the CDs of all your software.
[ 4 ] You have all your files backed up somewhere.

That's how hard it is!

And to think that Windows gets some errors after about three months! I usually reformat my computer once or twice every two months. That's annoying as I have to skim through my files, leave the ones I don't need, reformat the PC, copy back the "needed files" then realize that I accidentally deleted an important file and can't get it.

Grr.

You are doing something wrong? normally you don't have to reformat that often! never more than one time in a year.. you are thinking about defrag? that you can do often.

CD:s for drivers and Software? no no... if you have Internet connection you download your drivers.. so you have the latest... also backup is important but that has nothing to do with Windows.. Macintosh, Linux, Unix... everyone uses backup!
Bones
greendayonline.co.nr wrote:
i did the run > msconfig thing and it worked for me...

thanks for the advice

Of course it worked, you just crippled half the software on your pc

The Win.ini and system.ini tabs should never be disabled, those are tabs that Windows uses, and are disabled for troubleshooting purposes only.
If you disabled the non-ms services in the services tab, then you likely also disabled any security software you have installed or at least parts of it (like your firewall or auto protect features of your virus scanner)

The startup tab is a little different, you can safely disable pretty much anything in here you like, although some items may be required for your internet connection etc though this is not usually the case.

I also don't recommend registry cleaners (although some people swear by them) but just be aware that for all the great things they can do, they can also cause a lot of problems. I work on at least one pc a week that was crippled after using a simple reg cleaner (problems like not being able to boot to a desktop anymore or not being able to open any applications) but as long as you are aware of the risks, then make your own choices

I see a lot of posts (not just in this thread or forum) where people say they need to reinstall Windows every couple of months, and with older versions of Windows (9x) I would agree, but with XP this just isnt the case. If you are running XP and need to reinstall every couple of months, then you just arent taking proper care of your pc..it's that simple (my XP Pro install is running completely fine after 18 months and is dual booted with Vista) the only reason I reinstalled it 18 months ago was because I replaced the primary master hard drive with a bigger one. Your pc is like a car, if you let it fall apart with no maintenance, then thats what will happen, if you take care of it, it will last you a long time.
phx777
you might need to upgrade the user, sometimes minimal user requirements dont fit and pcs behave like crap, specially windoze boxes that have users that dont fit min req with admin accounts .P