FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to host a site on my own computer

vignesh_natraj
Can i host my personal site on my own computer my computer spec is
P4 2 Ghz,256 RAM,128Kbps DSL connection.
how do i host my site from this is there any software for SQL,PHP,CGI,can i find a automated software.
wumingsden
vignesh_natraj wrote:
how do i host my site from this is there any software for SQL,PHP,CGI,can i find a automated software.

I have been trying to get someone to write a step-by-step guide on how to install a server but nobody seems to be willing. I would recommend installing easyPHP www.easyphp.org which installs an Apache server, MySQL database, PHP and phpMyAdmin. It is extremely easy to setup although I would recommend reading all of the documentation first. Note that some ISP don't allow you to host your own site (if you cannot access it then thy don't allow it) and I don't think its compatible with some PC's. I say this as I installed it an a Windows XP that wasn't being used and it kept on restating itself (the PC not Apache).
Kd527
I think you need server software and a static IP address at least. You probably also need like a T1 or T3 connection.
vignesh_natraj
[quote="wumingsden"]
vignesh_natraj wrote:
I say this as I installed it an a Windows XP that wasn't being used and it kept on restating itself (the PC not Apache).

should the computer be switched on always.
wumingsden
[quote="vignesh_natraj"]
wumingsden wrote:
vignesh_natraj wrote:
I say this as I installed it an a Windows XP that wasn't being used and it kept on restating itself (the PC not Apache).

should the computer be switched on always.

yes, otherwise the site won't be accessable. Also the SQL stuff at least will only be accessable through http://localhost (i tihnk) I don't know how to add a domain or anything like that as of yet, as you can probably tell I don't know much about this subject
longjack
I've had really good luck with the Mepis SOHO server.

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mepis/testing/

It's a Live CD that allows you to install to the hard drive once you've loaded the GUI.

This will install Apache, MySQL and PHP by default. It is quite capable of running the SMS systems available, as well. I have a half dozen of such systems.

Hosting your own requires some understanding of firewalls and DMZ's for security, and how to require a domain name.
MyITLab
Legally, it's true that some ISP's, particularly home DSL, do not allow hosting, as per their user agreement. Technically though, it can be done. I have more experience on Unix/Linux than Windows web hosting, so I will describe it as how I know it.

1) Do you need a static IP to host a web site?
It would be best to use a static IP. But is it required? No. You can subscribe to DDNS, which is Dynamic Domain Name Service as a workaround.

2) How does DDNS work?
Your web hosting server basically logs in to DDNS periodically (automatic) and tells the DDNS your IP. If your IP changes, then your DDNS automatically changes the DNS records for your domain and propagates it to the Internet. Need more info on DDNS? Google it.

3) Do you need to have a domain name?
No, but highly recommended, especially if you don't have a static IP. Domain names are easier to remember than an IP address. They're so cheap...so why not?!

4) What hardware do you need?
For Linux based web-hosting, not much at all. You'll be able to get by with a Pentium 3, 512mb memory, 20gb hard drive, network adapter.

5) What software do you need?
I only have experience with Redhat's Linux distribution. The latest is Redhat's Fedora (still in beta, if you want non-beta, go with Redhat Linux 9)...available for free download. Their distribution comes with Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc...everything you'll need to get up and running.

6) Do I need a T1 or a T3?
Hell no. Even businesses are dumping their T1's for less expensive DSL. SBC and Verizon (among others) offer 3mbps upload/768kbps home DSL for about $20 - $30/mo. Business DSL is about $50 or so which can do 1.5mbps upload / 1.5mbps download (higher / lower speed costs vary). With Business DSL, you get an SLA (service level agreement), and I think you also get a static IP.
squirrelmaster
a good windows host is xampp
(course, it also is for linux)

it has MySQL 5.0.18, Apache 2.2.0, PHP 5.1.1, and phpMyAdmin 2.7.0
(the current version of this post time)

it is also capable of ftp server.
aningbo
try miniportal, the best one so far. easyphp is no gud with loads of error popping up...lol

trying the XAMPP, haven't heard of this...hope its good.
HL9881
Um.... I'm using a software called appserv to make a server in my PC.
And I will use no-ip to let the website need not show my IP adr.

Hope it can help you. Smile

p.s. I think that your web conection is too low to make a server,
and your ram is actually too low to make server.
Better don't do that.
Scorpio
vignesh_natraj wrote:

I see that you are from coimbatore. I certainly dont think you will be having a t1 and t3 for the simple reason it is not available in india except for bsnl and only for business.

It is necessary to keep your computer running all the time, that may be a problem in case of a home pc.

WebHosters usually have advanced cooling and specs to prevent crashes.
It is not recommended to host it unless you can overcome these difficulties.

The domain name and the ip are not a problem.

Quite a few indian sites offer domain names as low as 350 rs per year. By that i mean .net.in or .biz.in etc. Check sify.com.
vignesh_natraj
i can atleast use it for testing before uploading into my server.
wtfbbq
You didn't say what OS, but Google should've awnsered this question easily.

WAMP for Windows, LAMP for Linux.

http://www.onlamp.com/
http://www.en.wampserver.com/
Shirish
Hey friend try out

phpTriad

It is one of the best available for both linux and windows

For windows
just run the Setup provided

now go to Services section in Administrative tools in Control panel

and activate PHPGeekUtil and MySql Services and set them to Automatic

Now just type localhost in Web-Browser and there your site is ready

You can upload the content to be displayed in htdocs directory in apache directory in C:/ drive by default
greendayonline.co.nr
i use apache2triad...its seem pretty good

perl, python, php, mysql and SSL cert
steveadams617
I would second the suggestion that you use no-ip.com - especially if your IP blocks port 80. They have a choice that will let you set your webserver to listen on another port and then forward traffic to that port so that your users don't have to type a different port like: http://www.yourname.com:8081/index.html.

Important to note that if you are using a router and a network:

1)You will have to tell the router which computer to send the request to
2) The no-ip.com domain name won't work from within your network. You will have to get a friend to test for you.
Thelostcup
It depends on you OS. Linux doesn't really require you to install much, but Windows is a different story. . .

Apache has some downloadable server scripts, You'll a few other things for them to work properly though. Hosting your own site can be pretty risky, if someone finds a way in, they can also access your computer, not just your website files.
Chris24
Shirish wrote:
Hey friend try out

phpTriad

It is one of the best available for both linux and windows

For windows
just run the Setup provided

now go to Services section in Administrative tools in Control panel

and activate PHPGeekUtil and MySql Services and set them to Automatic

Now just type localhost in Web-Browser and there your site is ready

You can upload the content to be displayed in htdocs directory in apache directory in C:/ drive by default

Ok, I did all of this got it to show but I have a question. I am all new to this stuff so bare with me. Am I the only one who can access the website I have running on the mysql and apache server? can anyone on the internet access it? or is this service just to test and make sure everything is fine and dandy and ready to be uploaded to the real website host?

Any help with these questions would be grateful
cws-online
I am trying to set one up myself but i m so frustrated with it. There is so much stuff that you must know to set them up.
abhinav_shah
A static IP is must for a web-server. If you have a static ip , then you can install fedora core 5 with all the necessary packages ( apache, mysql server ). Then you can configure apache to your needs...

Abhinav
LethcanAernis
abhinav_shah wrote:
A static IP is must for a web-server. If you have a static ip , then you can install fedora core 5 with all the necessary packages ( apache, mysql server ). Then you can configure apache to your needs...

Abhinav

Must is too strong word!
It is good to have a static IP, but else use DDNS as I saw someone before me mentining. Here is a page who offers this for free: http://www.dyndns.com/

If you run Windows XP PROFESSIONAL you already have a webserver ready to activate, Internet Information Server 5.1, works very well, think it has some limitations of connections in the same time, but if you are not running a webpage that a lot of people will visit it works fine.

But if you are a noobie be carefully! a webserver is an easy way in for a hacker if it isn't secure!
Chris24
Quote:
If you run Windows XP PROFESSIONAL you already have a webserver ready to activate, Internet Information Server 5.1, works very well, think it has some limitations of connections in the same time, but if you are not running a webpage that a lot of people will visit it works fine.

I have win xp, but I can't locate this anywhere? Can ya help me out?

nm, found it Embarassed
webbone
I think you want to build yourself sites use your home pc!I had install it succeed om my computer!
you can abide my step:
1.Go to dnspark.com,Then register a account of them
2.Go to your domain control panel and set your domain dns to dnspark
3.In your dnspark domain comtrol panel set the A record to dynamic,and set the ip example:1.2.3.4
4.Download a software named dynsite
5.Set your dnspark account in dynsite!
6.Then you can set your domain in your IIS server or apche server!
7.You succeed!
Surprised Surprised Surprised
Sorry for my poor english!
Chris24
I am trying to do this for free, have followed every tutorial I could find and still have no luck. Have used no-ip to no avail as of yet.

Does anyone have a link to a VERY detailed tutorial on how to use IIS?
adam.eickhoff
Ok so first you need to get a server going.

A free one would be Abyss Web server X1 from
http://www.aprelium.com/.

They also have an X2 server which is $60 and has some more features than the X1 version which is FREE!

In the help documentation that is in the console of the webserver, it tells you where and how to install and setup the server for PHP/perl/ASP. As far as I know, it does not have support for mySql, but I also have not looked into it.

Almost all of this is straight forward. If you have any questions, I will personally help you and anybody else. Email: adam.eickhoff@gmail.com

----

You can also be a little more ambitious and try Apache's Http web server.
http://httpd.apache.org/
70% of all servers are run by a version of Apache.

This is also free and there is alot more complexity with it though. But with this complexity comes more flexibilty. You are capable of doing everything with Apache by using mods and scripting and the such.[/url]

----

Also, when it comes to Dynamic IPs, go to http://www.no-ip.com/. You can download a dynamic ip updater that will register your new ip with the domain name, that btw you can register a domain for free on this website. This website has several other features that you may want to look into also.

Once again, email me at adam.eickhoff@gmail.com with any questions and I will help you.
Bengt
it's not that hard, i have done it once, but been a while since then Very Happy
kany
you might want to have a look at here. This might help

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-24787.html
lukeropro
The problem is that you have to turn on your computer always. It's a waste of electricity...
bsrkaditya
Hardware Requirements

You can always choose to hoist your own serverexpessialy if you have a 24x 7 internet connection and hardware availability. If you have a PC which does not burn out for staying on lets say 2-3 months, You did the frist step. Next you will need a decent UPS say which works 10 hrs apart. Next, your broadband connection. There is no point hoisting a site if your broad band connection is one of those limited MB or GB connections. Web sites consume a lot of bandwith expecially your upload bandwith, and since many ISP's count both upload and download usage, Hoisting a site in one of them is not a wise desicion.

In terms of hardware, it is advisable to frist see what you have lying about. In order to start a Web server, you need a fully functional computer, with or without a moniter.Depending on your OS your system requirements may vary.

If you run a windows OS you will need atleast a 1 GHz CPU, 256 MB RAM and a 20 GB Hardisk.

Ih you are comfortable with linux or one of its cousins, it will come to 500 MHz CPU, 256 MB RAM and a 20 GB Hardisk.
erlendhg
Here is a link to an article, where you can read about hosting your website on your computer:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1774
phreakdb
Ok. I have hosted a Website from my computer before. I have done the manual setup (Rather Tedious) and then I have used Xampp, which you can find here http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html.

in my opinion, Xampp is quite good. As far as DNS Directing, I use http://www.dynu.com. There is one thing I think you should know. I personally, in my tinkerings, have not found a way to host an e-mail server, without it being rejected. As for the e-mail program that came with it... well. Let's just say that the poop hit the fan. It took me forever to get it to work. -.-

But anyway. Good luck in your ventures.