FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My desperation

Jamatu
I got really worried when the server went down, around 60 people depend on the website being up for us to be able to play properly on the MMORPG we play. So I decided to start up my own server in desperation.

I was using Fedora Core 3 to start with, I had installed it on a P4 2.4Ghz computer about a year ago and just stopped using it after a while. I tried installing phpMyAdmin and phpBB2 but it just wouldn't connect to their respective databases. I checked the version of mySQL and it was something like 3.x.x which is pretty old and insecure so I tried to install a newer version but for some reason it wouldn't let me uninstall the current server.

I decided to scrap it all and download Fedora Core 4. Once I got it up and running I checked the version again and it was 4.1.x (I plan to upgrade to 5.0 soon). I then created some databases for the forums and phpMyAdmin and they worked yay!

At the minute i've got these installedI learnt alot of valuable information from doing all of this. Mostly about using mysqladmin and mysql from the console.
Code:
[admin@SL-Server ~]$ mysql -uroot -p
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 107 to server version: 4.1.11

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

Code:
mysql> SHOW DATABASES;
+------------+
| Database   |
+------------+
| eqdkp      |
| mysql      |
| phpbb      |
| phpmyadmin |
| test       |
+------------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Current uptime!
Code:
11:08:43 up 20:14,  4 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.02, 0.00

And there you have it, what I did this weekend when the servers went down Shocked what did you do?

On a side note i'd like to thank bondings for the effort he is puting into sorting out our accounts!
windrei
ya, the server went down. But i am still afraid now, as my site is not opened yet, i don't know why.....

as you can see, the forum is opened again. But why my site is still down !!?
Jamatu
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-29794.html - Check there
webapp
The Servers have gone down and it is true most ppl are getting affected by this. Lets cross our fingers and pray that it comes back up soon...and with all the contents intact......
thiamshui
best of luck to server 1 users.. good that bondings say no data will get lost.. data loss is a big price.. happened to me last time as i was hosted in server 2 n i lost a month's worth of database data.. good luck bondings wif recreating the accounts too.. Wink
Vrythramax
I wasn't worried a bit with the server downtime, Bondings is on the job and all will be sorted out in due time. For all of the users of this FREE SERVICE who are so worried about the loss of thier files in all of this I can only say 2 things:

1. you should be backing up anything your going to put online as a safety measure,

2. If you are not satisfied with the reliablity of a FREE WebHost, you should crack open your wallet/pocketbook and shell out the money for webhost that may or not be as reliable.

I see alot of people bitching about the reliablity of Frihost, and as I see it it's very much like going to a free lunch and complaining that you didn't get enough free food.

Be patient, all will be sorted out.