FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New $10 Bill

izcool
Hey everyone,

It's been in the news over the past week or so that the new $10 bill came out just recently. (Take a look at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11636512/ if you haven't noticed).

I've seen a few in other people's wallets, but I only acquired my first one today when I was working. I gave it a good look for a few minutes and realized that in the left hand corner, the year reads "2004" instead of "2006". Why is this ?

I had a quick look at Google to see why this is, but nothing as far as I've looked. Can anyone back up any facts on why the new $10 bill that entered circulation this year would have that old year on it ?

(I did a quick scan of my $10 bill, blocking out the serial numbers to not conflict or get in trouble with the law. Red line and clipped corners on purpose, so no one counterfeits this one. I just did this to show the year in the corner).

I like the fact that it's more colored than the previous bills, because of the fact that it's probably harder to counterfeit. I read an article that was posted at my work (on the wall for other cashiers to read and be aware of) that someone figured out to take a $5.00 bill, wipe the face clean with bleach, and then reprint the top with new ink. When you look up to the light, the face is still there (although not the same one, it'd fool you if you didn't pay attention to what photo it was) and that the counterfeit markers would say that it's good money. The reason being is that the ink on the surface has it's own design, like for the $50 bill, the $20 bill, and now the $10 bill. I hope they will come out with a new design for the $100, $5, and $1 soon, who knows when that will be.

Please participate !! Normally when I start threads, people don't really respond to them. Don't be afraid, I want to know your thoughts on this. Laughing

- Mike.
ignition
Heh, I like the "We The People" addition. Seriously though the US should change the main color of its currency, that ugly green is just Neutral
k8eb90
Wow. That's pretty cool looking. It's funny how all of a sudden the government decides to one-by-one change the way our currency looks. Who knows, next time they get bored, we might get new pennys and dimes. Laughing

It might say 2004 because of the design date or something. Maybe something worth noting one a bill happened.
thiamshui
looks cool.. my country distributed plastic notes not long ago though.. more durable..
coolclay
I haven't seen one personally yet, but its about time they start making better bills. Compared to other countries our currency is light years behind. 10-20 years ago other countries had bright, pretty, hard to counterfeit bills, but only in the past few years has the US finally started. I still like Canadian bills better then even the new US bills. Canadians are so creative, and they have lots of animals and plants in their currency, like loons, bears, beavers, maple leaves, and other pretty things. All we have in the US are people, and monuments, and boring crap. OK thats enough ranting for now. I mean it doesn't really matter it all spends the same anyway, but it is nice to look down and see pretty currency.
izimngcubes15
Yeah I saw that today as I worked at my workplace. Shocked
Jack_Hammer
izcool wrote:
because of the fact that it's probably harder to counterfeit

Fact, probability, do you know the difference?
Reaper
ignition wrote:
Heh, I like the "We The People" addition. Seriously though the US should change the main color of its currency, that ugly green is just Neutral

thats whats called color preference, personally i like the green color, but the new colors they are adding to it looks nice. As to why it says 2004 instead of 2006? they are govement workers they replace there calanders every 2 years or so Laughing
David_Pardy
Australia has very pretty colourful plastic notes Very Happy

My sister went to the US and came back with a US dollar. It feels like I could tear it just by folding to too often.
Jack_Hammer
David_Pardy wrote:
Australia has very pretty colourful plastic notes Very Happy

My sister went to the US and came back with a US dollar. It feels like I could tear it just by folding to too often.

They do...
carlokes
Its always amusing when new bills and coin come out.
I live in Europe and some years ago the €uro came out it was pretty interesting to see all the new bills and since each country has specific coin its always fun to collect them all Razz
xorcist
It looks nice but I wish I had one thought. But what they really need to make is new 2 dollar bills since there isnt alot fo 2 dollars bills in the world that I seen.
illini319
so besides the fact that u.s. money is so plain compared to other currency, what is the real reason for updating the look? To combat counterfeits? hmmm.. I, as a citizen, would like to know how much lost economy is there with counterfeit money... and how much did it cost (and continue to cost) to change to this new look? Not just for the ten dollar bill, but for everything... quarters included!