FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

V for Vendetta

mrblah
Anybody think this will be any good. I'm not a big Natalie Portman fan but I like the concept of the movie. It looks like a nice visual movie from the previews.
k8eb90
I really want to see this movie. I, unfortunatly, cannot due to the ratings and my *ehem* parental figures. But it looks spectacular!
gh0stface
It looks pretty good. Hopefully it'll be another good comic book to movie adaption. Although Alan Moore, the creator of the comic book, has already panned the movie.
ylmun
This movie was transcribed by the Wachowski brothers, you know, the guys who did The Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, Matrix Revolutions, Matrix Suffocation and Matrix:The Marketing Attack.

I heard one of the brothers had kind of a breakdown. Ever since Matix Revolutions, I don't trust them to put out a good movie. At least it's not directed by them and I gotta agree, it does look like it has nice visuals and Hugo Weaving! (you know, Agent Smith) is behind the mask.
Scaramanga
gh0stface wrote:
It looks pretty good. Hopefully it'll be another good comic book to movie adaption. Although Alan Moore, the creator of the comic book, has already panned the movie.

Hasn't Moore pretty much panned ALL the movies made from his comics? Admittedly, by and large they pretty much all sucked (although I still think From Hell had some redeaming qualities, completely unlike League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.) Very Happy

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this, as I hope finally Portman will finally be able to ACT.

EDIT:
ylmun wrote:
I heard one of the brothers had kind of a breakdown.

If by breakdown you mean became a woman, then yes. They are now the Wachowski brother and sister. Very Happy
gh0stface
Scaramanga wrote:
gh0stface wrote:

Hasn't Moore pretty much panned ALL the movies made from his comics? Admittedly, by and large they pretty much all sucked (although I still think From Hell had some redeaming qualities, completely unlike League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.) Very Happy

Well, when you take a look at how bad Hollywood has butchered his art, ie League of Extraordinary Gentleman and another which I don't recall, I'd probably pan it too.

I think I recall that they planned on doing Moore's Watchmen too. But I'm not sure what happened to that.

So far the only redeeming comic to movie that is spectacular is Sin City. Frank Miller loved it. He was even a little weary about Rodriguez doing it until Rodrigues showed him a clip.
Kaneda
gh0stface wrote:
I think I recall that they planned on doing Moore's Watchmen too. But I'm not sure what happened to that.

They've been planning that since the comic was released. Sam Hamm (who cowrote Tim Burton's version of Batman) wrote a script around the same time as the Batman script. Terry Gilliam was supposed to direct for a while, but didn't think it would work as a feature film (I think at one point he wanted to do a 6 or 8 or 10 or 12 part mini series Wink). Lately, Darren Aronofsky ("Pi", "Requiem for a Dream") was attached to the project, but then his yet-to-be-released film "The Fountain" got all messed up by Brad Pitt, and it took some time to recover. Last I heard, the studio was trying to sell the property to someone else...

I'd love to see it happen, but I think Gilliam would be proven right. Two comics that can't be adapted to feature film: Sandman and Watchmen.

Quote:
So far the only redeeming comic to movie that is spectacular is Sin City. Frank Miller loved it. He was even a little weary about Rodriguez doing it until Rodrigues showed him a clip.

Still haven't made up my mind on that one. It's quite wonderfully realized, but somehow also shows that a shot-per-frame approach still doesn't cut it. Somehow the pacing that's inherent in each frame of a comic doesn't translate well to the pacing of shots in a film (a thought I'm going to put into my (very late) BA project on comic book adaptations). Smile
Scaramanga
Kaneda wrote:
gh0stface wrote:

They've been planning that since the comic was released. Sam Hamm (who cowrote Tim Burton's version of Batman) wrote a script around the same time as the Batman script. Terry Gilliam was supposed to direct for a while, but didn't think it would work as a feature film (I think at one point he wanted to do a 6 or 8 or 10 or 12 part mini series Wink). Lately, Darren Aronofsky ("Pi", "Requiem for a Dream") was attached to the project, but then his yet-to-be-released film "The Fountain" got all messed up by Brad Pitt, and it took some time to recover. Last I heard, the studio was trying to sell the property to someone else...

This is one Moore property they should NEVER attempt to make into a film; it would fail miserably. I mean, I think it's pretty obvious that Watchmen is NOT adaptation material, but was probably bought up back when studios were snapping up popular comic properties left and right.
nubster
I think this movie looks awesome. I didn't know until recently that it was based off of a comic book. I think Natalie Portman is an unbelievable good actor, and am excited to see her in something new.
CompactHaven
This movie WAS good. It's for a teen and early twenties taste, I guess, but it was cool.
I cannot decide where it stands politically though. It seems against the war, but the whole idea of control will remind people of Communism, even though this kind of control isn't what Communism is about. not what Communism is about.
So in some ways, it makes uneducated people fear Communism (good), and in other ways it blames Conservatives for the problems (bad). Oh yeah, it also puts Christianity in a bad light
I movie such as this cannot go without some political discussion.
dang
I thought this movie was pretty good, at least compared to any recent box office movies as of lately. However, i don't necessarily agree with the previous poster about communism. Seemed like a totalitarian one to me. But anyways, i think this movie definitely plays well with post 9/11 ideas. But i do agree that there will be political discussion about the movie. Personally, i thought this in many ways portrays the united states current administration.

Remember the 5th!
Yantaal
I have seen it, and by golly gosh golly gosh, giggidy giggidy.

it was goooood,

Steven Fry... goooooooooood
Agent Smith... goooooooooooood
that chick... baaaaaaaaaad acting
i forget the other actors, but my god what a good film. makes you think
photographerguy
This was ALOT better than I expected. At first I thought it was going to another bad comic movie, but I was srong. I agree, it wasn't communisn, more like a dictatorship. It is worth seeing in the big screen, due to the sound and action.
bluedevil7878
The movie was really good and pretty long. I think there was a lot more hype though and they expected it would make a bigger impact as a controversial film than it has. It was nice to see an action movie with some thought behind it though.
Twikki
I Think it looks good, I shall be seeing it tonight
9/10 NME
The plot is a bit of a rip off of Orwell's 1984 surely?
Khazid
Saw this a few nights ago. Definatly recommend it, excelent plot and action sequences. Dont go expecting the Matrix though. Some of the more verbally challenged may want to bring along a dictionary and thesorous though, lotta big words in this one, and the plot can get confusing if you like to talk during movies instead of paying attention...you know who you are.
budazz
how the story of v 4 vendetta??...who is he?...
Jayfarer
It was "nice"

I was only bothered because there was so much cool stuff in the book that I was expecting to see that wasn't to be found. Some of the changes puzzled me (Mostly to the Evey character, who went from a young, lost, blank slate prostitute to a regular office worker).
shaggly
As one of the 30'somethings that went to see it, I would recommend it, but with some reservations...

Overall, it was an entertaining movie. The action sequences were pretty good, and the overall plot was fairly good. Some of the acting was a little cheesy, and some of it was fairly reasonable.

However, the ending was lame, IMHO. The intended misdirections in the plot were fairly transparent, and the second half of the movie had a lot more potential for twists than was actually realised. Some of the special effects were quite good, but the fact that Fireworks kept appearing without any explanation as to how they would have been planted was the singular fact that annoyed me more than anything...

Overall, worth watching, but a trip to the pub beforehand would have definitely helped out a little.....
firmawao
I haven't seen the movie jet, but I think it will be a good movie. I've got big expectations from the creators of The Matrix 1-3. I hope the action parts will be cool too, just like in The Matrix...
rightclickscott
I heard alot of good things about it, like it's supposed to be a very political movie (+1), and sooo anti-Bush (+2), but most important, Natalie Portman (+10). I was supposed to go to see it with two girls tonight (+100), but I'm not (-150), because I'm supposed to go to a party tonight and get totally smashed (+1000).
driftingfe3s
I just saw this movie two days ago. I thought it was pretty good, although a little bit comicy and too dramatized at certain points. Still overall the story is good and the action is cool.
lumpic
i will watch the movie tomorow if i have time

A read a lot about it and the coments are positiv so i hope it will be good ......

cu
zanzou
I thought the movie was great. Natalie Portman should never have long hair EVER AGAIN.

Hugo Weaving is surprisingly talented at mask-acting. o_O

...my sister actually cried. I've heard other people did too. Crazy.
axellindner
I just saw the trailer and got tickets today. I hope it kicks ass, i am so excited to go see it.
glossee
V for Vendetta is the best! first time i saw the trailer, i thought it was something like Zorro, but when i watching it, definitely different and has a good plot, the fighting scene is really smooth..its like watching art in every move, really you didnt need to see the face behind the mask, because that's not the point. The acting is great, even natalie portman play an oscar performance according to me and dont forget to listen to the song, the mystical "cry me a river" by Julie Landon really brings you deeper into the soul of the movie...
lucifertje
I think the idea for V is amazing and the acting is good too. But i always expect much more from a movie that has such a big subject.
If they do a sequel that would suck bigtime.
areacode_777
I LOVE V FOR VENDETTA!!!!!!! and i love VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

he is so cool and the film was better than i expected. I'm a romantic so...i'm swaying more to the romanticism within the film. Damn Elrond for being such a great actor; can you imagine the difficulty in having to act out a man in a mask. It's so difficult to create a sense of character, personality and emotion with a fixed face but he did it soooo brilliantly!!

Natalie Portman was great as well, she has the perfect emotive face and she looks exactly the same as she did 7 years ago...doesn't she ever age? Hmmmm...did she really shave her hair? I think the most comical quote my friend ever made about Natalie Portman was "she still looks hot without any hair...damn her".

Very Happy lol

i love you VVVVVVVVV
ChaosMike
I enjoyed the movie. I loved the scene with Parliament exploding with fireworks and the music playing with people staring. That scene made me laugh for some reason. Overall, good movie, especially when you love the plot and idea behind it, which I did. I didn't agree with some parts, but good movie nonetheless.

Some people said it was anti-bush...especially those that equate Bush to Hitler Rolling Eyes I believe it is more anti-government/police state than anything. Britain is already looking toward a police state with government wanting to track down every car in Britain with GPS. But hey, it all depends on the person's outlook of things.

Remember, Remember, the fifth of November! Wink

EDIT: I was so sad when they cut Portman's hair...I loved her hair Mad Sad
cyph33r
Movie was great, definitely one of the best movies in a while.

The concept was refreshing and well executed - enjoyed every minute especially the explosion of parliament at the end !
omni_de_chronos
the plot is very good, however i think the movie could have been a bit better, the only parts I really liked were the fight scenes, however a very nice film.
faker_phil
dito, omni. I loved the fight scenes, but since I am not into the "Guy Fawkes" stuff, I didn't like the movie as a whole that much.
SilverDogg
i LOVED this movie. saw it yesterday with a bunch of friends. i wasnt really up to it at all, but wow. the movie caught me the second it started. utterly amaazing. when i left the movie theatre i was shaking, it was that good.

i loved the end, where all the ppl just walk past the army. MAN that was beautiful. wow... simply amazingly wow...
duckie
I agree with the last post, I love the poeple walking past the army. It just shows government only have power if the people let them. I loved that message and the suggestion that so many people just believe whatever they're told and it shouldn't take someone as messed up (and kinda sweet in a twisted way) as V to show people how to think critically and make their own decisions. I'm not suggesting anyone go blow up their parliament but seriously, think about what you're being told. (insert paranoid, delusional contreversy about local parliament here).
cparakawa
V for Vendetta is a great movie, as good as the graphic novel. I enjoyed Sin, another graphic novel that wen to the large screens. Maybe we can see the same path for Watchmen. Or a Sandman's tv serie ... Cool
nealio1000
mrblah said: Anybody think this will be any good. I'm not a big Natalie Portman fan but I like the concept of the movie. It looks like a nice visual movie from the previews.

i saw it! It was really cool. the action and diolague was sooooo well done. The acting was also very good too. After seeing it, i now need to see if i can get some tof the comics so i can make a comparison between them.
darth_revan
Worth every seconds you spend for it! I've just watched it and... IT WAS GREAT!
goblinish
Watched this film a few months ago and have to say was one of the best films i have seen this year.. a real eye-opener! Well worth seeing if you can get the chance. I think this was made by the same people who did the Matrix and the quality shows Smile
pudovkin
Didn't saw yet. Here in Brazil, studios didn't made too much publicity about when it was on theaters.
Too bad. Will rent on DVD.
kwaksalver
Well it's indeed a very good movie!

Thing is that I didn't understand all of the conversations since I saw him in English Razz

Gonna watch him again soon when I can rent the NL DVDR!